Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Extinct

After Molly collapses and experiences a vision of her encounter on the Seraphim, Sam agrees to give her an ultrasound so she can learn more about her mysterious pregnancy. Also, Molly tracks down Kryger and he reveals the disturbing details of his own solo mission that the International Space Exploration Agency (ISEA) is keeping secret.

I'm calling it, Kryger is pregnant too... by his mom.

Kryger's mom was trying the same shenanigans that Marcus!notMarcus did to Molly -- so maybe it tried to impregnant him, but the aliens are not that bright to distinguish male from female.  And why was Kryger's mom all wet ?  Did she die by drowning 30+ years ago?  Shades of Solaris if his mom shows up again after he "killed her" on the station.

If this is supposed to be the near future, and tech is all sorts of cool, why was that info robot at the museum that Ethan was talking to so crappy looking ?

Yasumoto spends his quality time in suspended animation/cryosleep/whatever because he only has 102 days left.  And both he and Evil Ron Butterfield know of the aliens that Kryger and Molly encountered.  And Yasumoto is banging board member Evil Renee Walker.

• Love 2

My random thoughts:

Dr. Sam is so not to be trusted! At least I hope so. I would like to see that actress play someone wicked.

Trust no one, Molly.

The Olympic Rings on Molly's belly better not be a Strain of vampire zombies. There's already another show covering that plotline. 

ISEA is corporate, right? So protocols may be different than a government entity.

When Yasumoto  was talking to John Woods, was the picture behind him a younger Yasumoto? We've seen that picture before. 

Katie began all this... It's getting interesting. 

• Love 5

I was kidding about Kryger being pregnant by his mom, just poking fun at the silliness of the show. I am intrigued about what Yasumoto's deal is, along with the other guy's daughter that was 'sacrificed'.

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought the chemistry between Halle and Goran was much better this episode.

That said, Molly has to be the biggest idiot on Earth. Kruger tells her not to trust anyone and the first thing she does is tell Sam that Kruger is alive, then tells Alan that she’s pregnant with an alien baby. SMH.

I can understand her fear of telling her husband about what happened, but it would’ve made most sense to tell him than the others. At least her husband is, you know, her husband and if anything should be trustworthy above anyone else.

Furthermore, I find it odd that Sam didn’t blink when Molly told her that Kryger was alive. Either she knows more than she’s letting on and may actually be working with the company, or the acting rule on this show is to remain subdued no matter how shocking the revelation should be to your character.

Speaking of Kryger, I’m not sure what he’s hoping to accomplish. So he told Molly what happened to him and warned her not to trust anyone – for all the good that did. So what’s his end game? It didn’t seem like he had any kind of plan except to warn Molly and that’s it. I was hoping he’d at least want to get her on his team so that they could work together to find out what the hell was going on.

This episode was okay. It was kind of all over the place. They need to quickly tie in the AI story to the space conspiracy because right now that almost seems like it should be on a separate show.

I’m still intrigued. Whoever, pulls together their previews certainly does an excellent job in keeping my interest continuously peaked.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

Dr. Sam is so not to be trusted! At least I hope so. I would like to see that actress play someone wicked.

Watch Person of Interest.

I missed the first episode.  Color me underwhelmed.  I'm calling it now:  the aliens are non-corporeal--either dying or unable to reproduce--and after trying to bred with humans they are ultimately saved by being provided android bodies.

• Love 6

The Olympic Rings on Molly's belly better not be a Strain of vampire zombies. There's already another show covering that plotline. 

This made me laugh. I was trying to think of a quip for what those freaky circles looked like, and you nailed it. And yeah, we've got vampires, zombies, and vampire zombies pretty well covered, so let's not have any more of those. Or werewolves.

• Love 1

So if Molly had this chip in her mouth that said it was monitoring her medical stuff, why didn't it show them she was pregnant?

Ok, so does Yasumoto wake up for a couple days--see what's going on, give some orders,  then go back to sleep so his 100 days of life last longer?

What the hell kind of rocket scientist is Kryger if he is fake-dead and living off the radar but he drives up right in front of their building to pick up Molly.   That is just not smart.

That robot gave spooky kid ideas.    One type of species dies and another stronger one comes along to take over dominance.      I saw that lightbulb come on over his spooky little head.

• Love 11

I thought Ethan the AI kid was much less creepy than in the pilot. I hope that's where they're going. There's enough creepiness already with Yasumoto (probably personal agenda to extend his own life at the expense of others), Alan Sparks secret agenda, scary/creepy aliens, and the husband isn't evil, but he's pretty obsessed, not to mention the not!dead astronaut who seems to have brain issues. It would be nice to have a friendly AI.

• Love 1

She should just tell her husband before he realizes he's the last to know. Plus, she's 3 months along, she's going to show soon.

I saw that lightbulb come on over his spooky little head.

Creeped me out too.

I did like the part when the lab assistant took him shopping for his future body parts. I thought they were content with him staying at that 'age'. Wonder what happens when he turns '18' or graduated college? Cue the Bicentennial Man.

Sam's got to be in on something nefarious. And it would serve dumbass Molly right, because when Kryger, who she thought was dead, suddenly appeared out of nowhere and told her not trust anyone, she IMMEDIATELY went to her doctor friend who also works for the same organization she was JUST warned about. Brilliant. I'm almost eagerly anticipating her getting stabbed in the back over that one.

Speaking of Kryger, there was a moment there with his weird alien not!mom where I wasn't sure if I trusted the show not to go the mpreg route. That would have been hilarious.

(edited)

That robot gave spooky kid ideas.    One type of species dies and another stronger one comes along to take over dominance.      I saw that lightbulb come on over his spooky little head.

I got the impression he was worried about his parents, especially when he asked Molly if she was weak. Then he drew the picture of the family on the spaceship where he put them to 'protect them'. As someone who isn't of the species, he probably finds it troubling to find out the predecessors of his creators went extinct.

(Edited in an attempt to make more sense.)

Edited by TexasChic
  • Love 2

I was trusting the doctor friend, until she gave Molly an ultrasound in the veterinary clinic.  Something seemed off when she announced so quickly Molly was carrying a genuine fetus.

• Love 1

How cool would it be to stand in the middle of a museum display of wild animals or dinosaurs, or an asteroid? When they do come up with that technology, they should encase it in a holographic Tardis, so you could step inside and then BOOM you're on Mars or whatever.

I'm still enjoying the show. It probably helps that I don't have the ambition to watch it 'critically.'

• Love 5

Did I completely imagine Yasumoto's face moving with the same shapes that were in Molly's stomach when she fainted?  (Have I gone crazy?)

Sorry, but I'm not gonna rewatch to find out. Someone else have a screen grab if this is so? Or maybe mjt626's TV signal was having issues?
  • Love 1

So, with all the cool technology in this future, looks like someone hasn't invented a machine that cracks the eggs for you!  Either that, or Molly is just old school about breakfast food!

I also wouldn't be surprised if Sam is up to no good, especially since I can't fully trust Camryn Manheim after her stint on Person of Interest.  But, she seemed to be handling all of Molly's revelations way too easily.  And, the fact Molly confesses all this right after Kryger told her not to trust anyone, makes me think this is a set up to blow up in Molly's face.  We shall see.

So, Yasumoto has some kind of machine that tells him how long he has to live, and apparently is dying of something.  That explains why he was frozen in the pilot, and what his role is in all of this.  And, it sounded like something went down with Michael O'Neill's character's daughter (or was it his wife?), which is why he's doing all this.  I wonder what that is all about.  And, what was up with that reveal of Mrs. Dodd/Anne Wersching being in Yasumoto's room?  Are they an item?

Noticed that Molly and Julie/Grace Gummer were extremely awkward and, in Molly's case, frosty with each other.  Is it all because of how close Grace has gotten with Ethan, or does Molly even wonder if Grace has gotten too close with John?  Either way, they clearly aren't drinking buddies.

Still good enough to keep watching, but I honestly am finding myself more intrigued with Kryger then Molly.

(edited)
I'm calling it now:  the aliens are non-corporeal--either dying or unable to reproduce--and after trying to bred with humans they are ultimately saved by being provided android bodies.

Then they rebel against mankind and humans are forced to look for that 13th colony, ops, wrong plot and show. But I think you may be on something here.

Ron Butterfield. Enough said.

Grace Gummer looks so pretty and Julie is totally interest in Molly's husband, isn't she? And speaking about him, whoever decided to put Goran Visnjic in those clothes and give him that haircut deserves to burn in hell. 

Yasumoto is the collest baddie in a long time.

Even the children wear pastels in this show. Just saying.

Edited by Raachel2008
  • Love 1

If this is supposed to be the near future, and tech is all sorts of cool, why was that info robot at the museum that Ethan was talking to so crappy looking ?

Snarky answer: well, it was in a museum...

More "realistic" answer: Given that it was approximately the same size as Ethan and spoke in simplistic terms, it's most likely a "children's" robot; designed and programmed to deal primarily with the younger museum patrons.

Dr. Sam is so not to be trusted! At least I hope so.

Yeah, she had too much fun playing "mommy" with Dr. John while Molly was in space.  Fortunately that just makes her an everyday jealous person instead of part of the alien conspiracy.  Good to see something believable in this series.

I got the impression he was worried about his parents, especially when he asked Molly if she was weak. Then he drew the picture of the family on the spaceship where he put them to 'protect them'. As someone who isn't of the species, he probably finds it troubling to find out his creators predecessors went extinct.

Both of these thoughts ran through my head. In the museum, "AI Overlord!" but in the kitchen, "Ah, he's becoming aware of emotions!" Perhaps he will have an internal conflict to deal with.

• Love 1
(edited)

And there we see the real danger of science museums that give inaccurate, simplistic descriptions of how evolution works. They turn our androids evil.

I know this show is about inhuman monsters, but the worst thing we've seen so far is John Woods running sneakers through the dryer while his wife is still in bed. Seriously, that's pure evil.

Something this show, like The Strain, fails to understand, is that most high-ranking scientists are actually good at salesmanship. They know how to charm, flatter, and get buy in from the people holding the purse strings or the permission slips. They may (or may not) treat their staff horribly, but they didn't get where they are without a gift for obtaining funding and support.

I have a feeling that this concept of the brilliant but arrogant scientist is a creation of writers whose primary exposure to working scientists is losing to them in cocktail party debates.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

I got the impression he was worried about his parents, especially when he asked Molly if she was weak. Then he drew the picture of the family on the spaceship where he put them to 'protect them'. As someone who isn't of the species, he probably finds it troubling to find out his creators predecessors went extinct.

I definitely saw a "lightbulb" go on that maybe humans are weak; it may first be presenting itself as concern that something might happen to his parents, but I think he will extrapolate from that conclusion that the robots should make the humans go extinct... or the aliens... or BOTH... anyway, I am definitely still worried about that kid/robot. There's a reason they were implying he might be a wee bit sociopathic in the pilot.

Still enjoying the show. I agree Sam is going to stab Molly in the back. Trust no one huh? Mulder would be ashamed.

• Love 2
(edited)

What's going on with "John Woods" (I just can't with that name, I'm sorry) and his assistant, Miss Gummer (Julie?) I think she's going to be trouble for Molly. Oddly, it didn't feel to me like Julie was jealous of Molly's relationship with her husband, but of her relationship with Ethan the maybe-not-murderous childbot.

I knew we'd see Evil Renée Walker again, but the show surprised me with the reveal that she's sleeping with Yasumoto. I don't know why Yasumoto is dying, but he's clearly manipulating everyone, including Dr. Agent Ron Butterfield. (Quit playing on Dr. Agent Ron Butterfield's emotions, Revenge Sensei!)

And I agree with the speculation above that the Humanichs shells will eventually be filled with the "souls" of the invisible fingery aliens. Also: nice juxtaposition of the Neanderthal display and the wrecked Kryger, looking a little Australopithecus himself, there.

I thought this was a slight improvement over the pilot, although one of the creepier aspects of the story is the "health monitor" telemetry implant thingy that Molly removed. I take it that's part of ISEA and that the populace at large isn't being monitored this way?

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I thought for a second the robot in the museum was going to explode because of the "what species are you?" thing, but the kid didn't have a chance to answer.. LOL

(edited)

I was annoyed that the robot was babbling about survival of the fittest. No one knows why Neandertals went extinct. Some would have you believe they just interbred with humans! Overall the primary cause of extinction is habitat destruction (including niche destruction.) "Strength" doesn't help. If Neandertals were strongly cold-adapted, maybe the interglacial warming killed them off, not competition from stronger homo sapiens sapiens.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 3
(edited)

Am I the only one who thought the museumbot seemed a bit like an early version of Irona the Robot Maid from The Jetsons? (Also: I think Irona the Museumbot probably has a "Pff! Yeah, right, kid!" subroutine in answer to the "I'm not that species..." tomfoolery. C'mon, she's dealing with gradeschoolers! There have to be some presets for handling guff.) 

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

So, with all the cool technology in this future, looks like someone hasn't invented a machine that cracks the eggs for you!  Either that, or Molly is just old school about breakfast food!

Did anyone else notice how the eggs just stood up straight on the counter like their bottoms were flat? That struck me as odd. When I sit an egg down, it rolls around. 

Also, was that game they were playing creating a chromosome? I don't know much about that stuff, but I wondered if there was some science involved, or if it was just making shapes.

Oh, one more thing, when Molly told her husband she couldn't call him to tell him she where she was because "She just couldn't", was that supposed to make sense? It just seemed like really bad writing and acting, but maybe I just wasn't understanding what was going on there.

Did I completely imagine Yasumoto's face moving with the same shapes that were in Molly's stomach when she fainted?  (Have I gone crazy?)

When did you think you saw this? What was he doing at the time?

Snarky answer: well, it was in a museum...

More "realistic" answer: Given that it was approximately the same size as Ethan and spoke in simplistic terms, it's most likely a "children's" robot; designed and programmed to deal primarily with the younger museum patrons.

Yeah, she had too much fun playing "mommy" with Dr. John while Molly was in space. Fortunately that just makes her an everyday jealous person instead of part of the alien conspiracy. Good to see something believable in this series.

I think you're talking about Julie, his assistant. I meant Dr. Sam the sonogram woman.

Something seemed off when she announced so quickly Molly was carrying a genuine fetus.

Something seemed off when she could do an ultrasound, especially using old equipment, and the patient didn't have to drink lots of fluids.  The fetus seemed awfully large and well developed for that time frame also.

Something seemed off when she could do an ultrasound, especially using old equipment, and the patient didn't have to drink lots of fluids.  The fetus seemed awfully large and well developed for that time frame also.

The US also looked nothing like US I have actually seen (but that said, never been pregnant, maybe they are not what I am thinking of) - but I chalked that up to !Future!

When did you think you saw this? What was he doing at the time?

Right after Femi Dodd came into the room and asked him if he was coming to her.  Yasumoto turns toward the dresser, grunts and it would appear that something happens with his cheek.  They also played ominous music when it happened.

Right after Femi Dodd came into the room and asked him if he was coming to her.  Yasumoto turns toward the dresser, grunts and it would appear that something happens with his cheek.  They also played ominous music when it happened.

Thanks, I will rematch when I get home.

(edited)

/nerd alert/  Rosie the Robot was the Jetsons' maid.  Irona was Richie Rich's maid   /nerd alert/

Dang! You're right. Something didn't feel quite right.

Not that I'm trying to recover my nerd cred (... Right.), but WHY is the station Seraphim given a name that's in the plural?

Edited by Sandman
(edited)

Okay, I watched it several times and I'm just not sure! I'd think they would be clearer if they really wanted to show that, but it does make a distinct sound-effect-type-noise right as something happens with his cheek. I guess it could have been the sound of the futuristic drawer closing and a muscle flexing in his cheek (he does seem to have a lot of facial muscles going on there). I'm thinking they would have zoomed in like they did on Molly's belly if that was actually what they were trying to portray though, but I can definitely see what you were talking about. 

Edited by TexasChic
(edited)

Okay, I watched it several times and I'm just not sure! I'd think they would be clearer if they really wanted to show that, but it does make a distinct sound-effect-type-noise right as something happens with his cheek. I guess it could have been the sound of the futuristic drawer closing and a muscle flexing in his cheek (he does seem to have a lot of facial muscles going on there). I'm thinking they would have zoomed in like they did on Molly's belly if that was actually what they were trying to portray though, but I can definitely see what you were talking about. 

As long as I didn't completely make it up in my mind, I can let it go.

I read Femi Dodd and immediately thought of the Fermi Lab.  (I need to get out more)

Edited by mjt626
Noticed that Molly and Julie/Grace Gummer were extremely awkward and, in Molly's case, frosty with each other.  Is it all because of how close Grace has gotten with Ethan, or does Molly even wonder if Grace has gotten too close with John?  Either way, they clearly aren't drinking buddies.

She was the one who helped in Ethan's creation, right?  I'm sure she is going to come between Molly and John at some point. She is way more into Ethan than his "mother".

So, with all the cool technology in this future, looks like someone hasn't invented a machine that cracks the eggs for you!  Either that, or Molly is just old school about breakfast food!

They also haven't invented a new kind of dryer.  Still using an old drum style air dryer.  To dry their LACE UP shoes.

I think I've officially found the "thing" I'm going to watch for in this show and it's the odd ball tech/not tech.  What will it be next week?  Walking a dog on a fancy futuristic laser beam style leash but still having to pick up its turd with a baggie over your hand?  Or better, a robot dog but you have to wipe up little oil spill "pees".

I enjoy this show but it's so. . .forgettable.  I was all geared up for it when they were hyping its start but come this latest episode I was all "OH, yeah, that show is on" only after I was checking what was going to be on.  No sense of anticipation.

I still like how it has All The Plot Lines, too.  I want MORE loose ends.  I want them to wrap around me like a big warm hug from my undead alien mother who tries to impregnate me on a spaceship that's funded by an evil government/big corporation with Super Nefarious Agendas!

• Love 3

I feel a bit badly for Ethan, despite his creepiness.

He's only  five or six, yet he:

* is expected to keep Mom's 'let's not worry Dad' secret

*got introduced to Survival of the Fittest during a birthday party at a museum

*gets talked about as if he isn't there/aware of conversations about him (see: 'Where's the killswitch?')

*is flipping out his mom, who clearly doesn't trust him after 13 months on a space station

*has been shown to have a temper, but told that his temper/reactions are worse than other kids' reactions (while true, not helpful when you're the one getting made fun of/ having your family trash talked (from the pilot, iirc)

One of the only good things to happen, on-screen, is his facing down the holographic elephant. It got him some cool points, at least for the afternoon.  

I also wondered how Ethan was going to "grow-up", so I am glad this was sort of nodded to with the guy showing Ethan his new arm. It makes me wonder though, if Ethan is ambidextrous. If you could be proficient with both hands at whatever, wouldn't you opt for that?

JLVerde, I loved your post! Please keep up the snark!

I'm not sure how long I can handle the show, but there is a good, solid premise or two in there I want to see more of. (Sorry for the dangly ending there, grammarians.)

• Love 3

This show is surprisingly boring. Maybe in part because of the neutral palette in every scene that's not outdoors. There are a few genuinely creepy moments (when the visions/hallucinations/ what have you appear on the Seraphim), but otherwise, it looks bland and feels slow. I'm getting Resurrection vibes from it. Sci-fi is not my thing, but the premise was interesting on the previews. I agree with JLVerde that the show is forgettable to this point.

Even when they throw a curve - complaining board member is Yasumoto's lover? - it still just makes me go, "Oh yeah?"

The kid is very good at having a flat affect that can turn to the creepy, though.

So if Molly had this chip in her mouth that said it was monitoring her medical stuff, why didn't it show them she was pregnant?

Or that she fainted? It was just this "I has a monitor" which, like so many things on this show, came out of nowhere.

I did like the part when the lab assistant took him shopping for his future body parts.

What will happen with Ethan's current body when he moves to the next one? Sell it for scrap metal? Recycle it into paper plates? I'm surprised Eeeeeeevil Board Member Dodd didn't ask about that. BTW, when EBMD comes to the lab, just say this is private project, not a board one, and you're trespassing.

I was annoyed that the robot was babbling about survival of the fittest. No one knows why Neandertals went extinct. Some would have you believe they just interbred with humans! Overall the primary cause of extinction is habitat destruction (including niche destruction.) "Strength" doesn't help. If Neandertals were strongly cold-adapted, maybe the interglacial warming killed them off, not competition from stronger homo sapiens sapiens.

From the horribly-outdated "Evolution of Man" (now in Sorta 3D!!!!) to the reason the Neanderthals went extinct, that whole scene made me cringe. This show is horrid with the science!

Did anyone else notice how the eggs just stood up straight on the counter like their bottoms were flat? That struck me as odd. When I sit an egg down, it rolls around. 

Oh, one more thing, when Molly told her husband she couldn't call him to tell him she where she was because "She just couldn't", was that supposed to make sense? It just seemed like really bad writing and acting, but maybe I just wasn't understanding what was going on there.

Eggs of the future have flat bottoms but are not pre-cracked. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

It was really bad horrid writing. First that she would skip this lunch that her hubby had spent a lot of time (and probably a fair amount of money to set up -- just blow it off and not even look concerned about it. Then don't call or anything -- you wouldn't want to be considerate or something. Finally, when confronted, don't say anything but sorry and hubby will immediately forgive you, no questions asked. Blech.

This show is surprisingly boring.

I know. The acting is flat, there's no real genuine emotion -- they all might as well be robots.

• Love 3

Well, this show has its faults but at the end of it I was thinking I wanted to see what will happen next, so I guess that is something.  That could change at any time but for now I will keep watching.

I would have thought the other kids would have been exposed to holograms before since everything is so future-y (except for the garbage and washer/dryer).  I didn't buy that all of the kids except for the robot kid would be afraid of the holographic elephant.

Molly is told to trust no one so she immediately goes and blabs stuff to two different people.

Didn't the guy with the 102 days left have a drawing on his wall that looked like Molly's circles?

"Mother?  No?" woman was creepy looking.  I had to rewind a couple of times to watch her get ejected from the ship.  Why did it work, though?  She seemed to be capable of walking through locked hatches so why didn't she escape before he could eject her?  Maybe she had already given up since her impregnation attempt didn't work.

• Love 1

So how did Kryger fake his own death well enough that no one figured it out? 

Thank you.

And how did he stay in the same city? Don't most astronauts who want to disappear just do a show on PBS? (ba-DUM-bum).  Actually this is a pretty glaring plot point. How do you declare someone dead by suicide without a corpse to examine? Did he just write a letter announcing suicidal intentions and everyone went, "Geez, what a shame. OK, someone tell Molly she's going up next."

I'm not the best person to comment on this because I fell asleep about 3/4 of the way through. I did wake up to hear some scary music, however. 

Surely there are better places to get an under-the-table ultrasound than an animal research lab. 

I'm not very impressed with the script or the acting so far but I'll try one more episode. Creepy robot boy is engaging enough. 

• Love 1

The actor playing Yasumoto is really into the scifi/supernatural role.  He was on Lost playing the ruler of a secret lair hiding from the Smoke Monster.  He is on Helix playing an alien.  And now here he is again playing what seems to be an alien.  He was and is creepy in all three roles.

I wonder if he'll ever be playing a family man with kids and a dog....and a white picket fence.

• Love 1