Type keyword(s) to search

Jason Quartermaine Morgan: Patron Saint of Not Blinking

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

That's more protecting Jason. He didn't want protection then, though.

He told Liz that Robin kept the secret because she loved him. But that Robin knew it was wrong and that she was trying to save him from being manipulated by Carly. Jason's words.

He later told Sonny that Carly uses him with Michael because she knows he won't turn away from the kid. And that Carly believes she's fighting for "their family" and that he's ever going to love her like that. Robin knew all these things before he did. Jason eventually got the point. 

This was never about Robin's jealously over Jarly romantically. She never believed Jason was in love with Carly. If that's fan interpretation, that's fine. But it was never canon.

I never said Jason was in love with Carly, and I never said Robin believed he was. Again, difference of opinion. Moving on.

Edited by IWantCandy71

We're about to lose the emoticon chip, as Jason V2.0 is rebooting back into original form of Jason V1.0.  I'd be sad of Steve Burton, even at his roboticiest wasn't more capable than 2017 Mo.   

I still wonder why he returned.   Lol it can't be money.   

13 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

We're about to lose the emoticon chip, as Jason V2.0 is rebooting back into original form of Jason V1.0.  I'd be sad of Steve Burton, even at his roboticiest wasn't more capable than 2017 Mo.   

I still wonder why he returned.   Lol it can't be money.   

Of course it's about money.  The man lives in fear that he'll run out of it, imo.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think what @Chairperson Meow is saying is that since the budget is so low it's not like they could offer him much money anyway.

But some is better than none, I guess. Also, they obviously fired ReBu to give SB her salary, too.

Meh, I don't believe Frankie's budget is all that lean.  Sure he low-balls most of the cast, but I'm certain he doesn't do that to the pets.  It is possible that SBu's salary is being paid by the network, not the show's budget.  I've read that has happened in the past.  The network reached out to Burton.  It wasn't Frankie.  

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I think what @Chairperson Meow is saying is that since the budget is so low it's not like they could offer him much money anyway.

But some is better than none, I guess. Also, they obviously fired ReBu to give SB her salary, too.

And she isn't the only one given the other changes with the cast that we've heard about given the recent news that Robert Palmer Watkins is no longer on contract and Leslie Charleson was dropped to recurring. Rebecca Budig doesn't seem to be the only casualty, and they've done nothing about their bloated cast for a long time so this comes across as more than coincidental.

It's only because of the recent semi focus on the hospital. Bottom line for me: NONE of the Corinthii or his circle ever get purposely cut. Some quit-like Bryan Craig. But when was the last time anyone related to Sonny, Jason, Sam or Carly, was FIRED or demoted to recurring after years of being on contract? I know it has happened, but it just seems that TIIC take a special interest in avoiding cutting anyone who lives in Sonny's world.

Keeping it on topic-Jason Morgan is scum.

Carry on.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 2

I wouldn't count recasts, as the character is still around.

Ric/Rick Hearst is probably the best example, as I think Sonny's women who aren't Carly or Brenda are intentionally short-term (with that definition being somewhat flexible). Does Sonny remember Hannah/Reese/Claire?

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I wouldn't count recasts, as the character is still around.

Ric/Rick Hearst is probably the best example, as I think Sonny's women who aren't Carly or Brenda are intentionally short-term (with that definition being somewhat flexible). Does Sonny remember Hannah/Reese/Claire?

I don't think they're all intentionally short term. Hannah and both Konnies definitely weren't. Neither was Reese I don't think. She just failed horrendously.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ulkis said:

Neither was Reese I don't think. She just failed horrendously

Reese did make for a GREAT speed bump, though. I think that was the only moment I quasi-liked NL's version of Emily. When she misdiagnosed Reese just before Reese croaked.

Topic? At least Super Borg never saved Reese's life.

• Love 1

I really don't see what the point is in bringing back SB as Jason. What story are they really going to explore with Jason? Given that SB played Jason as a mobster and never wanted to go back to playing Jason Quartermaine (and his mass murdering enforcer was treated as the saint, with other characters consistently depicted or spoken about as if they were inferior - hence why we had Emily and Elizabeth had the talk where it sounded like Emily had a thing for her own brother), and the mob has eaten this show for decades now, I don't see what new avenues TIIC are really going to explore with SB's return. We'll have characters extol the virtues of the Holy Hitman. We might get some villainous cops. I don't see anything new or exciting on the horizon.

It's not like Jason will be held accountable for his actions as a murderer - Diego killing Emily because of a war Jason started against Lorenzo Alcazar and Franco killing and terrorizing people because Jason's career as a murderer Guza-ified Franco's inner being both led to pretty much everyone handwaving any accountability on Jason's part because Jason is the Second Coming. Even Taggart was a bad guy because he was a cop, with Jason being a mobster showcased as morally superior.

Assuming there's some sort of triangle with Sam, Elizabeth, and Jason 2.0/Jake, I don't think the recent "romance" stories will give anyone here any confidence that the writers will do better just because SB has returned. I doubt anyone here thinks that any real nuance or depth will be explored.

If SB's return doesn't bring in the ratings (especially given some of the backlash it has caused even among some JaSam fans who like the current Jason), I wonder if the network will finally admit to themselves that the mobsters can't sustain the viability of this show.

• Love 4

I really don't see what the point is in bringing back SB as Jason

There hasn't been a point to Jason Morgan, played by anyone, for decades. Guza obviously hated Jason Quartermaine. He should have just killed him off in the car crash. 

• Love 1

Oh, lordy, this is actually a thing that is happening?    

I mean, it would be terrible regardless, but especially after the dragged-out-to-infinity story about Jakeson's real identity, and the trashing of umpteen characters before finally getting to the "he's really Jason!" reveal.    

And now the audience is going to be like "wait, after all that garbage that didn't make sense in the first place, it isn't even really Jason?  And we have to go through another round of 'where have you been all this time????'"

• Love 4

I normally refrain if I can, from overly bashing an actor's physical appearance because I know I'm no great beauty, and I suspect most of the viewing audience isn't either. :)

BUT, that said.  If some people find him devastatingly handsome or hot or whatever, great for them.  But they should accept that many people don't get the appeal. And it's not hate because we're JELUS over Steve stealing thunder from Billy Miller or any of that other ridiculous garbage.

He just  ain't my cup of tea. If he is for anyone else, rock on with that, but agree to disagree. It's not about hate. It's about personal taste.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 3

I have been reading this book about about codependency, and I think the one personality trait that Jason Morgan retained from Jason Q is that he is a complete codependent. His last act as Jason Q was jumping into a car with an alcoholic in the hopes of getting said alcoholic to change his behavior. For the last twenty odd years he has jumped head long into the worst type of codependent relationship. AJ might have "weak" but had it just been him in the car that night, the event might have shook him out his denial and he might have really committed to soberity. Sonny and Carly on the other hand..., give a very superficial about caring about him, but I think both of them are too self center to do that. One of the reasons JaSam took off is because Sam was one of the first people who really put Jason's welfare ahead of theirs. At best they now think of Jason as extensions of themselves. They will never seek to try better themselves. They won't even remotely attempt to correct behavior that got them into trouble in the first please. How often did Carly whine that Jason wasn't around to clean up her mess when he was presumed "dead". As toxic as the Qs could be, I think they attempted to be a bit independent and self sufficient. Now, Jason has spread his disease to Michael.

• Love 5
On 6/18/2018 at 1:13 AM, Ambrosefolly said:

His last act as Jason Q was jumping into a car with an alcoholic in the hopes of getting said alcoholic to change his behavior. For the last twenty odd years he has jumped head long into the worst type of codependent relationship. AJ might have "weak" but had it just been him in the car that night, the event might have shook him out his denial and he might have really committed to soberity.

Not really. AJ was an alcoholic and didn't just have the one accident that put himself and others in danger. He drove at least 4 or 5 drunk sometimes with people that he loves (Nikki Langston, Alan, Emily) not including the famous accident that created Jason Morgan. After the accident, he was scared and guilty by what he did and became sober after the accident including seeking treatment from Kevin. He remained sober for quite a bit after Jason's accident as he tried to better after costing his family their golden child. The problem for AJ was that when he had a failure or adversity, he usually ended breaking his sobriety and started drinking again. Because he had a disease.

• Love 2
(edited)

I adored Jason Quartermaine (his cruelty to Karen after their breakup aside, but he redeemed himself by sincerely apologizing), but I've hated Jason Morgan ever since the day he opened his eyes and immediately started treating everyone who loved him like crap, especially poor Keesha. His horrendous treatment of her brought tears to my eyes, especially in light of how blissful they'd been before his accident.

I always hated him and Robin together (though Robin and Jason QUARTERMAINE would have been nice) and found them lethally dull and unbearably sanctimonious. Dude, you're a fucking monster's right-hand man, where the fuck do you get off looking down on anybody?

I disagree with those who say Steve Burton has never been hot. I thought he was very handsome during the Quartermaine era (except for that time he let his hair get ridiculously long (. It's only afterwards with the buzzcut and nasty attitude that that all went away. 

I genuinely think that creating Jason Morgan was one of soaps biggest blunders. They could have easily found ways to flesh out Jason Quartermaine and make him more interesting. If you can look up old footage on YouTube, you can see that they did--from the moment he returns from "boarding school", he and AJ are at each other's throats over his illegitimacy, he loves his family, but resents the expectation/pressure to be the "perfect one", the "golden boy", etc.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Camille said:

unbearably sanctimonious.

Jason, yes, began to believe he was better than the Qs and/or could take care of Michael because he “cared” while the Qs viewed him as property. I never saw Robin behave like she was better than anyone other than Carly. And if she ever thought she knew better it was because she believed Carly had no right to lie and keep AJ away from his son. That’s not sanctimonious; it’s her truth.

6 hours ago, Camille said:

genuinely think that creating Jason Morgan was one of soaps biggest blunders.

I don’t think creating him was the problem, it was that he never progressed beyond Sonny and Carly’s property.

SBu was super cute in ‘96/‘97/‘98.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1
(edited)

To each their own, I guess. I'll stick with the dark sexiness of Billy Warlock, thank you very much. :)

I'm still amazed that they actually teased Jason Q. and Robin back in 1992. She was only 14, and looked about 10 (in the face, at least; this outfit is pretty cute). Creepy. (And I still wish I could find a clip of them in the 80's, when Robin was still older than him. Since they kept Kim, obviously, I kind of wish they hadn't aged AJ and Jason past her, and entertained an older woman/younger man dynamic, but I ask for too much, I guess.) 

Edited by UYI
5 hours ago, UYI said:

I'm still amazed that they actually teased Jason Q. and Robin back in 1992. She was only 14, and looked about 10 (in the face, at least; this outfit is pretty cute). Creepy.

Aside from how horrible he was to poor Keesha, this is the other reason I could never get into them nor find them believable as a couple. She just always looked more like his little sister rather than his girlfriend/lover.

It's the same reason I was never a fan of him and Elizabeth. It didn't help that she was either still in high school or fresh out, meaning that their relationship genuinely WAS inappropriate.

Edited by Camille
28 minutes ago, jsbt said:

They teased Nik and Emily when AmTam was in the role at a very young age, too. It went on for several years.

And I didn't like that either, but at least Nikolas gently rebuffed her on the grounds that he only DID think of her as a little sister.

Whatever complaints there were about the recast, at least she was age-appropriate.

I find it all very realistic. 10-11 is about the age girls have crushes on older boys. The fact that Kimberly looked younger than the 14 she was while in scenes with Steve doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because my first crush at 10, was on my neighbor's best friend, who was 16? at the time. And I liked how it came full circle--Robin having a crush on Jason, moving on, falling in love with Stone, then when Jason Morgan is "born," they are both back in each other's universe and SHE was with him when he woke up. I will always have a special place in my heart for early Robin and Jason before he became Mooby's murdering thug.

• Love 2

Granted I was a teen myself at the time, but I didn't have a problem with the Emily stuff. It wasn't like they were going to dive into some hot and heavy romance with her and Prince Nik right then; he was (for now, at the time) the unattainable. I thought a lot of young girls (and boys) could identify with that kind of storyline, and I thought it was a prime example of the kind of connective tissue only soaps can do with the passage of time and age in an ongoing story with ongoing characters. People grow up with Emily or Robin day by day and watch them crush on Nikolas (or Jason - see, the topic is back), and then over the years watch them grow into the relationship. In Robin's case, as said above, after she becomes a woman with Stone.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I had no issues with Robin and Jason. I’m biased though because their chemistry was >>>>>>>>>>>>

At the time, they just made sense.  The girl with no future and the boy with no past was a great starting point.  Add in some good writing and fantastic chemistry between KMc and SBu and it was must-see TV for me.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

At the time, they just made sense.  The girl with no future and the boy with no past was a great starting point.  Add in some good writing and fantastic chemistry between KMc and SBu and it was must-see TV for me.

Those were the days when the actors legit gave it their all and you could see chemistry oozing from out of your screen. You could see the love, it was that palpable.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Those were the days when the actors legit gave it their all and you could see chemistry oozing from out of your screen. You could see the love, it was that palpable.

What was “icing on the cake” (??) was that Steve had a serious crush on Kimberly which just added an extra “OOMPH! to their scenes/relationship. Then there’s the fact that Kimberly is a chemistry magnet, so win-win.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Then there’s the fact that Kimberly is a chemistry magnet, so win-win.

Really? She's a lovely girl, but I never got that from her. Brenda/Vanessa Marcil, certainly, which is why early 1994 was full of scenes with her and every available man on-screen to see who she clicked with the most, but I never got that vibe from Robin/Kimberly.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Camille said:

Really? She's a lovely girl, but I never got that from her. Brenda/Vanessa Marcil, certainly, which is why early 1994 was full of scenes with her and every available man on-screen to see who she clicked with the most, but I never got that vibe from Robin/Kimberly.

Certainly not everyone will agree, but I think what @GHScorpiosRule is getting at is that all of Robin’s pairings were extremely popular. The men they linked her up with all worked and were successful to a majority.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Certainly not everyone will agree, but I think what @GHScorpiosRule is getting at is that all of Robin’s pairings were extremely popular. The men they linked her up with all worked and were successful to a majority.

That and the lost opportunities with a Robin and Nik pairing and Robin and Lucky pairing-with Jonathan Jackson.

Of course chemistry is subjective, but I never saw any anti-chemistry, if you will, between Kimberly and the actors she worked with. Hell, there’s AJ too! BOTH Sean Kanan and Billy Warlock.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What was “icing on the cake” (??) was that Steve had a serious crush on Kimberly which just added an extra “OOMPH! to their scenes/relationship. Then there’s the fact that Kimberly is a chemistry magnet, so win-win.

This might sound weird, but that crush thing always made me feel a little bad for his real-life wife, especially since there were rumors that he would back out if Kim felt the same way about him. It almost seemed as if his wife was his second choice, which is really sad if true.

...But I'm known to show misguided sympathy over certain things at times, so there you go. *shrug*