Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: (Screen) Tests

• Start Topic

Ah finally some good ol' fashioned Hollywood blackmailing, thank you Henry.

Just when I decided to hate Claire she decides to be nice and reciprocate help AND throw her screen test. Guess I am meant to care about her positively.

Jack's  acting has definitely improved. And omg I can't believe I had to go through second hand embarrassment TWICE with Rock's screen test, the poor thing.

I think my favourite moment in this episode is when Jeanne told Avis  about her affair with Ace and Avis responded with I can't be cranky because it would make me a hypocrite. Too often dramas, will have a screaming match just because of the tension it builds in the show, even though the one who is hurt is often also having an affair. So kudos to this show for being sensible.

Really felt for Archie finding out his name wouldn't be on his screenplay.

I did chuckle at the studio reacting to the visit by Eleanor Roosevelt (is she First Lady at this time I don't know much about American Political History), only because I cannot think of any business in Australia responding like that if they were told the wife of the Prime Minister was coming for a visit. Maybe we'd crack out a packet of Tim Tams on a plate, if they were lucky.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I like this episode as it made the „culture is political“ argument so very well. I usually nowadays hear it about European Integration, but it is as true here. Works of Culture can shape our imagination and contribute to a societal discussion, and politics will react then afterwards since it is democratic and democracy is slow (and that‘s a good thing by the way).

But I can see how this will result in alternative Hollywood history. That just makes the series relevant for today‘s discussion on societal questions. It is okay, we have documentaries for the facts, this show is about the „feelings“.

On the issue of casting the female lead, the series runs into a bit of a Smash problem for me, because Samara Weaving is just a much better actress than Laura Harrier -- the series wants us to think that Camille is a transcendent talent, but her screen test doesn't wow like that.

• Love 15

They specifically said the Hayes code didn’t allow interracial couples so curious to see how that goes.  Even if it’s an alternate timeline, it’s still a product of the time. 

Rob Reiner was great in his small role and once again I care more about the older set. The Mira Sorvino/Patti LiPone scene was good. As was the casting scene. Can’t wait to see if Jim Parsons leaks those photos. 

I read in real life Rock Hudson needed 37 takes to get through his one line in his first film. So this tracks. Wonder where his story will go since he didn’t get the part. 

• Love 3

Another fun episode, and like others, I'm still much more interested in the older actors. Rob Reiner's crass vulgarity made me laugh. Loved the scene between Avis & Jeanne Crandall. Really enjoying Mira Sorvino as that character, and hope they continue to feature her.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:50 AM, Bill1978 said:

I did chuckle at the studio reacting to the visit by Eleanor Roosevelt (is she First Lady at this time I don't know much about American Political History), only because I cannot think of any business in Australia responding like that if they were told the wife of the Prime Minister was coming for a visit. Maybe we'd crack out a packet of Tim Tams on a plate, if they were lucky.

I believe Harry Truman would have been president at this time, and President Roosevelt had passed away just before the war ended, but Eleanor Roosevelt was a much venerated public figure back then, who travelled extensively on speaking engagements, and was involved in humanitarian causes. It probably would have been a big deal for her to show up unexpectedly at the studio.

Here's an interesting article on the early career of Rock Hudson, and his slimy agent extraordinare Henry Willson. Willson represented quite a stable of hunky young men.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/05/netflix-hollywoood-rock-hudson-agent-henry-willson

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I gotta say, while I think that Claire and Camille were both quite good in their screen test, I actually think that Claire was a bit better. And its kind of weird that they are connecting this story to a "be an inspiration to young black girls!" story to a movie about a woman who is rejected from Hollywood and tragically kills herself over the rejection. Based on a real person. I would think that if they wanted to do a movie to inspire young people of color, they would do more of a "triumph over adversity" story or a romantic comedy or epic action/romance movie. I know what they're doing here, about how important it is for marginalized people to see themselves represented in media, and thats a great lesson, but it seems kind of weird in the context of Peg. 

Jack has actually gotten better! Doing more research into real life Rock Hudson, this is all more accurate than what I thought. Still taking artistic liberties, especially with the fictional characters, but there are facts here. 

• Love 2
On 5/2/2020 at 7:50 AM, Bill1978 said:

Beyond Mrs. Roosevelt's public stature, it's more akin (in Commonwealth terms) to having the Queen Mother make a surprise visit.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, SeanC said:

Beyond Mrs. Roosevelt's public stature, it's more akin (in Commonwealth terms) to having the Queen Mother make a surprise visit.

Oh well in that case I would put the Tim Tams on my finest china. Haha.

• LOL 5

In her post White House career, Eleanor Roosevelt served as the first United States ambassador to the United Nations, was one of the US delegates to the San Francisco conference that created the United Nations, and helped write the Universal Declaration on Human Rights. She also had a radio program during this time and was deemed highly influential as First Lady and thereafter.

The was she is portrayed here is quite consistent with the real thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

On the issue of casting the female lead, the series runs into a bit of a Smash problem for me, because Samara Weaving is just a much better actress than Laura Harrier -- the series wants us to think that Camille is a transcendent talent, but her screen test doesn't wow like that.

Yup, I was surprised how good Claire was. I thought she was going to be horrible. And I agree Camille is underwhelming as an actress. She's pretty enough but she doesn't exactly jump off the screen.

Jake Picking has the right look for Rock Hudson - more or less - but he doesn't have the right voice. Rock had a deep booming voice and I'm having trouble seeing Jake as Rock because of it. I think there was some dialogue between him and Henry in a previous episode about going into the canyon with a cold and yelling his head off to deepen his voice so they've sort of paid lip service to this discrepancy, but the real Rock's voice was a big part of his appeal. (And the prescribed antidote would not, in fact, deepen his voice, it would just make him raspy.)

Claire had the better audition but I also think Camille did deserve the role too.  Both were good enough for it.

Avis had some great scenes with Eleanor Roosevelt, Jeanne, Dick and Ellen in this one. Love that she seemingly stood her ground with Henry.

Rock's bad auditions were amusing while Jack showed improvement this week.

Archie took a setback but one I don't see sticking and Raymond was right to tell Camille not to cheat.

Not my favourite episode but I am enjoying this series a lot, 7/10

(edited)
On 5/2/2020 at 3:50 AM, Bill1978 said:

This show takes place after WWII. Franklin Roosevelt died four months before the end of the war, barely into his 4th term as President. So she wasn't First Lady at this point in time. She was not the cookie cutter First Lady, and was a very important and sought after person in her own right.

(Election laws were changed after FDR's death, and presidents are now limited to 2 terms. Terms are 4 years each.)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

I know Rock Hudson was green when he arrived in Hollywood and took a while to learn how to act, but I never got the impression that he was a complete idiot. That's what I'm getting from the writing/Pickering's performance, and it's not helped by him having the eyes and facial expression of a hamster that's been startled and froze to escape a predator's notice.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

I know Rock Hudson was green when he arrived in Hollywood and took a while to learn how to act, but I never got the impression that he was a complete idiot. That's what I'm getting from the writing/Pickering's performance, and it's not helped by him having the eyes and facial expression of a hamster that's been startled and froze to escape a predator's notice.

You have a way with words!

• Love 2