Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: ... been a big, fat liar

• Start Topic

In fairness to Devi, her advice regarding Eleanor's mother was good -- the problem was that Eleanor's mother is a flake and messed things up for unrelated reasons.

• Like 1
  • Love 18
On 4/30/2020 at 12:05 PM, SeanC said:

In fairness to Devi, her advice regarding Eleanor's mother was good -- the problem was that Eleanor's mother is a flake and messed things up for unrelated reasons.

Also, Devi is used to being told how smart she is, so, as a young person, it is not surprising that she would feel confident giving well-meaning (but ultimately wrong) advice. It would be nice to see a 10- or 20-year flash forward to find out if Devi stays a know-it-all, or if she discovers the boundaries of her areas of expertise.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
On 4/30/2020 at 1:05 PM, SeanC said:

Her advice for both was good and in a way turned out to be right - once Eleanor's mother came and had a proper conversation with her, they were good and Eleanor was fine. But like you said, unfortunately for them, woman is a flake who also got jealous and maybe even resentful of her own kid when she realized that she's a better actress than she will likely ever be. So yeah, Devi couldn't have predicted that. 

And she turned out to be completely right about Fabiola's mother who did handle Fabiola's coming out to her as awesome as Devi said she would. So yeah, probably not right to insert yourself in people's personal issues and decide you know best but her advice wasn't bad. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Devis advice wasnt bad, and its not her fault that Eleanor's mom is a selfish flake, but getting so involved in peoples lives can always backfire, even with the best of intentions. Poor Eleanor, she was so excited that her mom was back and showing inter in mom stuff, and then she just fucks off across the country after about a day. I think it was implied that she was jealous of Eleanor getting the lead in the school play and that she is already a better actress than her, and thats one of the reasons she left.

At least Fabiola coming out to her mom went well, good to see a few more good parents on this show, and while Fabiolas mom comes off as something of a control freak who doesent really get Fabiola, she does clearly love and support her.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

“I honestly can’t commit full time to this friend group. I have a very demanding social life.”

”You finally figured out you were a Gryffindor like me?” “What? No, I’m a Ravenclaw like Eleanor.” “They were all Hufflepuff.” I’m laughing and a mildly offended Hufflepuff.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
(edited)

I loved that Trent just wanted to talk to Devi about Kamala. Teenage boys can be so predictable.

Not at all surprising that Eleanor's mom couldn't keep her mouth shut and spilled all the secrets that she said she would keep. She is the kind of whirlwind person who swoops in, causes drama, and then disappears.

I'm so glad that Fabiola was finally able to come out to her mom. And in other truth telling, thank goodness Eleanor and Fabiola finally know that Devi didn't have sex with Paxton.

I don't mind Jonah as an addition to their group, but I also understood why Devi thought that they were replacing her with him. Heh, I loved what Eleanor said about how they're allowed to have more than one friend. When you have an established friend group, it can be threatening when someone new joins under normal circumstances but finding out that Jonah became their new friend while she was MIA must have really freaked Devi out.

Speaking of feeling threatened, poor Eleanor. Her mother was clearly threatened, jealous, and resentful that Eleanor had the lead in the school play. I know that it's hard to give up your dreams but abandoning your kid TWICE? I wouldn't blame Eleanor if she couldn't forgive her for leaving again.

I can't imagine why Paxton is texting Devi to come over immediately. They don't know each other very well so why would he possibly say that he needs her? I'm guessing the show is going to make this about his sister (which makes no sense because Devi only met her once). I'm just hoping that it isn't one of his friends catfishing her.

Ha, I loved Devi's concoction for practicing beer pong - kombucha with apple cider vinegar.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Speaking of feeling threatened, poor Eleanor. Her mother was clearly threatened, jealous, and resentful that Eleanor had the lead in the school play. I know that it's hard to give up your dreams but abandoning your kid TWICE? I wouldn't blame Eleanor if she couldn't forgive her for leaving again.

At first I understood why Eleanor's mom left. She was being incredibly selfish, but I get the emotions and reasons behind it. This time, though, she's jealous that her daughter is more talented than she is, and instead of being thrilled for her daughter, all she can do is be resentful. Of her teenage daughter getting the lead in a high school play! Stay away forever, Eleanor's mom!

• Love 5

It was brutal for Eleanor that her mother abandoned her again and basically proved (again) how hopeless and horrible she is as a parent, but I liked that it turned out the other moms were disliking Eleanor's mom for legitimate reasons, and not just out of some kind of petty superiority complex.

I thought Fab's mother's reaction was unusually realistic for TV, in that most of the time parents are either horrible or perfect in these kinds of (fictional) stories, and Fabiola's mother was written to be oblivious and uncomfortable (and weirdly and selfishly concerned about her daughter being their interpreter on the Marseilles vacation), but ultimately loving and supportive. It was in character based on what we've seen of her so far, and not the usual TV "surprise twist" when someone comes out and their parents flip from loving to disowning you, or they already knew but never gave you any hints that they'd support you, or they are totally cool and you were just an inexplicably insecure numbskull for ever doubting them.

• Love 1

I am just new to watching the show and I am up to Season 1, Episode 7, this episode.

At this point of the show, I am shocked how rotten a person Devi is. Even the "C" word would be an appropriate description for her. She is selfish, obnoxious, disrespectful, arrogant, narcissistic, and an overall pain in the ass. I have never seen a main character in a coming-of-age show like this be so rotten and unlikeable. It's shocking. Despite all of that, I find the show intriguing and very good, and I will surely continue watching.

On 7/25/2021 at 12:14 AM, BigDfromLA said:

I am just new to watching the show and I am up to Season 1, Episode 7, this episode.

At this point of the show, I am shocked how rotten a person Devi is. Even the "C" word would be an appropriate description for her. She is selfish, obnoxious, disrespectful, arrogant, narcissistic, and an overall pain in the ass. I have never seen a main character in a coming-of-age show like this be so rotten and unlikeable. It's shocking. Despite all of that, I find the show intriguing and very good, and I will surely continue watching.

I'm new too and have binged to this point. I'm sure they're setting up Devi for a redemption arc, where she finally deals with her grief and finds her way back, but right now I would not stay her friend. Agree that she's unusually unlikeable.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 1