Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: ... had sex with Paxton Hall-Yoshida

• Start Topic

I found the end of the first episode very disturbing, but the show had a lot to recommend (and was literally recommended) so I decided to give it one more chance and am glad I did. 
The end of the second episode was everything I hoped for —both for the show to be and for my very long bygone sophomore year of high school to be, as well as for the long bygone sophomore years of my three daughters. 

Favorite secondary characters are her parents, her cousin, and the not-quite boyfriend’s sister.  

• Love 3
On 4/27/2020 at 7:31 PM, shapeshifter said:

I found the end of the first episode very disturbing, but the show had a lot to recommend (and was literally recommended) so I decided to give it one more chance and am glad I did. 

Yeah, maybe I'm an "old" now but I was very glad to see the show back off the aggressive quest by Devi to lose her virginity. Having that played for laughs (?) was very cringey to me.

• Love 7

The flashbacks to Devis parents were sweet and also really sad, especially when her mom was riding the bike around. While the show is mostly about Devi dealing with losing her dad, its good to remember that her mom also lost her husband.

Niecy Nash is always welcome, she is great as Devis therapist, and in general I am really liking the supporting cast. 

• Like 1
  • Love 12
(edited)

OMG I laughed so hard at Devi's dream about Paxton just showing up in her bedroom. I was dying when he sniffed her scrunchie and asked if that lovely scent was her dandruff shampoo. I just wish that she hadn't felt the need to lie to her friends about her conversation with Paxton. No good ever comes of that. And then she had to make it even worse by lying to them about having sex with him. Oh, girl. That is not going to end well.

But I'm glad that despite Devi's quest to have sex with Paxton, when she actually had the opportunity to do it, she realized that she wasn't ready and got the hell out of there.

Heh, Kamala's boyfriend's comment about Cal Tech's track team being awful made me laugh. Steven seemed like a perfectly nice guy. I'm glad that she was honest with him, but I also think that since she isn't getting married tomorrow, there's no harm in seeing Steve a little longer (as long as Steve is okay with it).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

But I'm glad that despite Devi's quest to have sex with Paxton, when she actually had the opportunity to do it, she realized that she wasn't ready and got the here out of there.

That was a very real reaction to me. It's one thing to think you're ready because you think everyone else is doing it, it will give you 'cred' or even you are really, really attracted to the person, it's another to have him standing there shirtless and realize it might actually happen right now! And given she probably didn't think "do you want to have sex" was going to actually work, I don't think she really prepared herself for that moment. So yeah, I am glad she fled when she realized she wasn't ready. 

• Love 3

Darren, who plays Paxton, is 29?! I knew he looked older, but, wow. Playing a junior. 

The girl Fab was staring at, is 25. That's about how old I thought she looked.

Devi disses Ben about how he can't grow a mustache, when we can clearly see the stubble from the actor having to shave. lol

On 5/16/2020 at 12:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

The flashbacks to Devis parents were sweet and also really sad, especially when her mom was riding the bike around. While the show is mostly about Devi dealing with losing her dad, its good to remember that her mom also lost her husband.

Niecy Nash is always welcome, she is great as Devis therapist, and in general I am really liking the supporting cast. 

Agreed.

I love the diversity and inclusion of Rebecca, and how Paxton immediately stood up for her. I also appreciate the detail of her being adopted.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I’m so confused by the casting of Paxton. Is it ageist of me to want to see teens played by people who at least look like teenagers? He’s literally 11 years older than the actress playing Devi and it shows. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I’m so confused by the casting of Paxton. Is it ageist of me to want to see teens played by people who at least look like teenagers? He’s literally 11 years older than the actress playing Devi and it shows. 

Normally it doesn't really bother me that 30 year olds play teens but yea it was really distracting to me in this case. He just looks 30 and the Devi actress looks like a teen.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, kieyra said:

6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Normally it doesn't really bother me that 30 year olds play teens but yea it was really distracting to me in this case. He just looks 30 and the Devi actress looks like a teen.

I'm fine with casting adults to play teenagers if they do one of two things: either cast a bunch of adults who look the same age OR the older adults need to look young. But when you cast an actual teenager to play a teenager (Devi) and then you cast someone who's over a decade older and looks it, the difference is really jarring.

• Love 8

Oh, interesting, thought I would be a grouchy outlier on this one. It's super distracting and makes it difficult for me to get any suspension of disbelief going. (I had this problem with the actor who plays Adam on Sex Education, but I think that guy was only in his early 20s and just looked a bit older.)

This is one of those casting choices where I'm left wondering if someone was doing someone a favor. 

• Love 1

I love Paxton's sister. I also like that his last name is Yoshida and no one thought he might be Japanese. 

Maybe they cast an older actor because they felt weird about so blatantly objectifying an actual teenager?

I can't figure out where I've seen the actor who plays Kamala's boyfriend. But I like the recent trend of casting hunky Asian guys. I remember reading an article somewhere, a few years ago, about the stereotyping of Asian males as sexless nerds, and within a very short time after, I've seen a massive change in representation towards Asian males as sex objects. I've never seen such a rapid turnaround in representation with any other group, and it shows that it can be done with other stereotypes if there's any real will to do so. 

I'm glad to see eye contact as a lesbian signifier. That's always been a huge part of my own "lesdar" and it's almost hilarious to me how well it works. Straight women will make eye contact, but it absolutely looks and feels different. It doesn't even matter if you're attracted to each other, it's not about that. I don't even know how to explain it, it's just really really clear.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

“Smacking is still an acceptable punishment in minority cultures.”

After Devi called her Mother a BITCH- ooooooooooooooo, I am surprised she’s still alive. 

Devi and her friends make me smile. I remember being a 15yrs old girl, and many of us thought about sex A LOT at that age. All the hormones!(it’s not just boys)

The age difference is visible between  Maitreyi Ramakrishnan & Devon Barnett is striking. 

On 7/11/2021 at 11:53 AM, possibilities said:

I'm glad to see eye contact as a lesbian signifier. That's always been a huge part of my own "lesdar" and it's almost hilarious to me how well it works. Straight women will make eye contact, but it absolutely looks and feels different. It doesn't even matter if you're attracted to each other, it's not about that. I don't even know how to explain it, it's just really really clear.

That makes sense to me.