Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E17: SNL At Home 2

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The funniest part for me was that Barkley is usually played by someone in a sketch, and this time it was the real deal.

That's Kenan. And I will say that the real Charles Barkley worked much better for this as Kenan otherwise had his hands full. Lol

I think besides Bill's Lindsey Buckingham, the other guests in this sketch have always been actual celebrities. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Serious question:  what's wrong with Dasani water?

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

I'd love to know.   I mean...it's bottled water.   ???

I have no clue how true this is, but I remember a joke from years ago on a comedy show (I don't recall which show - could have been SNL):

If you translate the word "Dasani" into English, it means "Coke just sold you tap water."

I bought a bottle of Dasani once, when it was the only brand left on the shelf. It was... wet. And it didn't kill me or make me gag. {Shrug}

• Love 2
2 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I love it!  It’s water, tastes ok.  The best part is the sturdy bottle.  The nestle water, and the arrowhead are too flimsy.  

Fiji is our #1 - it tastes better- but Dasani is our 2nd choice.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, slasherboy said:

8 hours ago, Maverick said:

My take is it is just filtered tap water and not spring water.  

8 hours ago, Maverick said:

I think a lot of people have issues with it because it's not "spring water". I've heard that it's just filtered tap water, but I don't know if that's true or just an urban legend. It also contains sodium, which I imagine was the inspiration for the "now with 30% less sodium" joke (or however it went) in the sketch.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, kelslamu said:

I couldn't stand Miley's rendition of Wish You Were Here.  I'm probably by myself in this, but no....just no.  

Move over so I can sit with you because I didn't like it at all either. She shouldn't have been given the opportunity to butcher any song by Pink Floyd.

This new format is growing on me and I'm really liking it. I would like to see Ego, Bowen and Chris Redd get more air time. I'm a big fan of Mikey (his son is his Mini-Me) and Alex, together and apart. 

Last week, I hated Melissa's Timothee Chalamet - saying the same thing over and over wasn't funny. Her "date" this week wasn't funny at all either. She seems pretty one-note to me although she may have been a better SNL writer than she is as an actress. I think of Chloe in that same vein - don't find her funny at all. 

Whiskers Are We is hit or miss for me, but Kate's cat, Nico...steals the show every time he makes an appearance. I've seen those same faces he makes from my cats, he has such catitude.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Katmai said:

Last week, I hated Melissa's Timothee Chalamet - saying the same thing over and over wasn't funny. Her "date" this week wasn't funny at all either. She seems pretty one-note to me although she may have been a better SNL writer than she is as an actress. I think of Chloe in that same vein - don't find her funny at all. 

Chloe played Timothee Chalamet.

I do think Melissa depends on the people she writes with. I liked both of her Update pieces this season for that reason, probably. I don't know who wrote this last sketch. I liked it but I can see where it would be annoying. 

The way I view it, beggars can't be choosers. No, this "show from home" isn't the same standard as normal SNL. But they are trying, sometimes I laugh and it is better than no SNL. So bravo, show. And thank you.

• Love 9
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 5:20 AM, kelslamu said:

I couldn't stand Miley's rendition of Wish You Were Here.  I'm probably by myself in this, but no....just no.  

I can understand why Pink Floyd fans would nitpick, but I enjoyed it. Same last time with Chris Martin's Bob Dylan cover. Dylan fans fussed over it, but Chris loves Dylan, and when he does covers he does them HIS way. Any cover songs do not erase the original, it's just one take on the song, I always like to see how they turn out.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Chloe played Timothee Chalamet.

I do think Melissa depends on the people she writes with. I liked both of her Update pieces this season for that reason, probably. I don't know who wrote this last sketch. I liked it but I can see where it would be annoying. 

On 4/28/2020 at 8:20 AM, kelslamu said:

Thank you, Pete Martell, for the clarification that it was Chloe. I can have a hard time telling her & Melissa apart.

3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I can understand why Pink Floyd fans would nitpick, but I enjoyed it. Same last time with Chris Martin's Bob Dylan cover. Dylan fans fussed over it, but Chris loves Dylan, and when he does covers he does them HIS way. Any cover songs do not erase the original, it's just one take on the song, I always like to see how they turn out.

I like Pink Floyd and love to hear different covers of songs I like, no matter the genre, ex. acoustic or in the artist's own way. But not from Miley. Her nasally and whiney tones compliment very few styles of music, imo. Chris Martin singing a cover of Floyd? Bring it on, I'd love to hear it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katmai said:

Thank you, Pete Martell, for the clarification that it was Chloe. I can have a hard time telling her & Melissa apart.

I like Pink Floyd and love to hear different covers of songs I like, no matter the genre, ex. acoustic or in the artist's own way. But not from Miley. Her nasally and whiney tones compliment very few styles of music, imo. Chris Martin singing a cover of Floyd? Bring it on, I'd love to hear it.

The best cover is by Johnny Cash for NIN's Hurt. Better than the original.

• Love 1
On 4/27/2020 at 12:52 AM, Pete Martell said:

A home tour Beck filmed that didn't air.

I see why this didn't make it to air but it's an example of what I think the show did better in this episode (which I think I mentioned earlier) in "using" the pandemic/shelter-in-place orders.  The could do a video mocking these Architectural Digest videos during a regular show but it would have lost something being produced as opposed to Beck taking advantage of his regular old home.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 2:15 PM, Katmai said:

Chris Martin singing a cover of Floyd? Bring it on, I'd love to hear it.

LOL, don't think it doesn't exist! (Comfortably Numb, live, for a charity benefit).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

A quick cut piece with Ego. Not really anything special in my opinion, but she is charming as always.

Burn. This. 😂

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:
  On 4/26/2020 at 10:52 PM, Pete Martell said:

A home tour Beck filmed that didn't air.

Oh, yeah, I have a 100 y.o. house and can totally relate! (Still, Beck’s is a gorgeous house. A quick pickup of clutter and some plaster/paint repair, and it would be showcase worthy!)

• Love 1

Hey Saoirse. Why Did You Say You Don't Know What You Think OF This With Paul Rudd In The Show ? Did You Want Paul Rudd To Be The Host ? Then, You Said I Get This And Then you Were Glad ! I Don't Know What You Were Talking About !

On 4/26/2020 at 3:24 AM, Pete Martell said:

Soul Cycle - Didn't think this would return (a third appearance no less), but it worked well in this format. Nice to finally see Bowen. Heidi stole this for me with her brain dead character, boasting about how she's too young to get COVID.

I thought she was trying to twist the stupidity slightly further and that she meant that she thought only 19-year-olds would be susceptible to COVID-19. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Dasani water is just "purified" water, as opposed to spring water, and I've always thought it tastes like tap water.

I've never been huge on "What's up with that?" as I always feel it seems to go on a liiiiiiiiitle bit too long, but this one had me cracking up the whole time. And DJ Khaled grates, but his seat-dancing throughout and his "guess that's anotha one!" at the end went perfectly in the sketch.

I also usually don't really like the SoulCycle sketches, either, but the lack of the straight man in this version made it really enjoyable.

This at-home edition had me consistently laughing more than I usually do at SNL. I appreciate them not trying to crank one out every week, as it gives them time to come up with good quality sketches.

Only con for me this episode was that there were several sketches where the ring lights the cast was using were REALLY obvious in their eyes. I noticed it several times, though only the Big Papi sketch comes to mind right now.

Here's hoping for another SNLAH episode on the 9th! I'd love to see what Mother's Day-related sketches they could come up with.

Edited by dvr devotee
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I also usually don't really like the SoulCycle sketches, either, but the lack of the straight man in this version made it really enjoyable.

I've always thought that so many of the sketches would be better without the commentators, e.g., the high school theatre kids sketch and the Kate gross-lady bar sketch. I know that many people love Kenan in the latter sketch, but to me the writers adding a commentator showed a lack of confidence in the sketch standing on its own. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I've always thought that so many of the sketches would be better without the commentators, e.g., the high school theatre kids sketch and the Kate gross-lady bar sketch. I know that many people love Kenan in the latter sketch, but to me the writers adding a commentator showed a lack of confidence in the sketch standing on its own. 

This has been an issue for me for ages - I don't mind it as much in the theater kids sketches but otherwise it tends to get in the way and suggests they think the viewers are dumb. I hope the last one being well-received may make them realize viewers can process just fine. 

Anyway, here is another cut Ego sketch. I enjoyed this one more than the package sketch from a few days ago. Fun.

• Love 1
(edited)

For me Keenan was the MVP; I was delighted by the unexpected return of "What Up with That", and was rolling on the floor with the whole Big Papi sketch and "Hey Twitter, it's me, America's Dad, OJ Simpson!"

Pitt as Dr. Fauci, the Bartenson's ad, SoulCycle at Home, and the AirBnB comercial with Ooli were also great fun. And I got malicious glee from Pete's song and WU segment, just imagining how awfully being at home at his mom's with no new people to suck into his drama must be affecting him! Pretty much only Heidi fell flat for me this week.

Edited by Bruinsfan

Hello VB68. I Think There Is An Actual Lindsay Buckingham And They Years Ago Had Bill And Lindsay Together In the Same Skit AT the Same Time ! I Don't Remember What Happened In That Skit Though ! Also, I Remember When Kennan Promised Bill That He Could Get To Talk Or Maybe IT  Was Christmas And He Would Tell The Night Before Christmas I Think And Sure Enough He Ran Out Of Time And Bill Got Mad, But Kennan Got Him To Forgive Him ! Jody