Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
aquarian1

S17.E06: Get Your Phil

Recommended Posts

Quote

Padma gets a real rise out of the chefs when she tasks them to make a Quickfire dish without any all-purpose flour; for the Elimination Challenge, the chefs serve Gustavo Dudamel and members of the LA Philharmonic at award-winning Otium restaurant.

Original air date: April 23, 2020

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

If I was in this QF, I’d have just laughed, headed to the pantry for some wine, and waited for everyone else to finish.  I almost never bake, and I hardly ever use flour for anything other than a roux; I have whole wheat flour and AP flour in my pantry, and that’s it.  I’d have no idea what the others could and couldn’t be used for.

Bryan saying he’s going to win a QF by making an “eh, there’s not much flour in it, but it’s great” dish for a flour challenge was … not too bright.  I could not believe his surprised face when he got called out for it.

I most wanted to eat Nini’s, but all the top dishes looked great.  Hell, even the bottom dishes looked great.

Oh my gods, the pronunciation battle between Lee Anne and the Whole Foods employee over “endive” reminded me of that hilarious “No, it’s absolutely pronounced ohn-deeve” commercial.

Gregory and Stephanie’s dish looked great, and sounded even better when the judges started talking about how every part of it combined both tastes.  Melissa and Kevin’s dish looked and sounded truly fantastic as well.  Lee Anne and Malarkey’s dish came together surprisingly well for how they worked together, and must have tasted damn good to be in second place when I thought that would have been Gregory and Stephanie’s slot.

I was not all that excited by the description of Eric and Bryan’s; it sounded like a delicious dish, but not one that would wow me with the combination of flavors like the others did.  Same with Nini and Karen’s – I’d be thrilled to eat it, but if I was analyzing it in terms of the challenge, I’d have to take points off.

I’m sad to see Karen and Nini go; I like both of them – in terms of food, personality, and how they work with others – a lot.  And I hate losing two women at once.  But it’s the nature of this game that great chefs are going to go home for great food.  Just by look and description, I’d have picked Eric and Bryan’s as the least-good of great dishes, but obviously the all-important taste is what I’m missing.

I love Karen’s face when Tom announced they’ll compete on LCK right now: I’m fucking tired, I just lost, I don’t want to do this.

 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Malarkey seems like such a showman and playing to the camera, but I’m glad he and Leanne worked out okay.  For her benefit.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

I mean, I think everybody would have been More shocked if Melissa and Kevin did t make it to the top groups at the very least. They both, and Gregory, are really on another level this season.

But, my favorite subplot is Eric and his inability to get all his ingredients 😆 

  • Like 14
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

So pleased to see Lee Anne near the top.  You could just see the relief on her face.  She and Malarkey kind of reminded me of myself and a college roommate - everyone who knew us thought we would crash and burn but we worked out our issues and stayed together for two years. 

All the food in the Elimination Challenge sounded amazing, particularly as I am turning more to pantry items and what is that in the back of the freezer for variety these days.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I actually thought Bryan V and Eric’s steak with the lacquer (the same lacquer which would be slathered all over Bryan V — such a funny moment and I loved his little sideways glance like “Hmmm...”) sounded like what I would devour.

I thought it was weird at the beginning when Nini told the two Bryan/Brians to let her stand in between them and said something like “Babe alert” — like what??

Karen’s “I’m over it” face when they announced LCK was perfect — so honest.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Trying to figure out wtf happened to Bryan and Eric, two chefs who understand flavors. Maybe if they'd have slathered the glaze over the steak (instead of Bryan), the ratio would have been better. 

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 15

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I thought it was weird at the beginning when Nini told the two Bryan/Brians to let her stand in between them and said something like “Babe alert” — like what??

It was "Baby", not "Babe", and referred to them making room for her tiny self to step forward in place between the two of them.  There may be some chatter about her being the "baby" of the house (based on her age and size) that she's making her own, but whatever it was rooted in, it wasn't anything about "hot babe coming through, move".

  • Like 14
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

It was "Baby", not "Babe", and referred to them making room for her tiny self to step forward in place between the two of them.  There may be some chatter about her being the "baby" of the house (based on her age and size) that she's making her own, but whatever it was rooted in, it wasn't anything about "hot babe coming through, move".

And her voice.  I’m not a fan of “baby” or “babe” either way.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I FLOVED when we were shown each team in their vehicle discussing their shopping strategy, trying on the other one's vest, just enjoying each other's company. Then, in contrast, we see Lee Anne and Malarkey sitting silently in their vehicle, no interaction at all. 

Lee Anne describing Malarkey as "a monkey on crack". It was especially funny coming from Lee Anne since she's been told she has too many ideas and needs to edit herself. 

I was surprised Lee Anne grabbed the entire shelf of endive. Since her team used only 1 leaf per plate, I'm thinking she took all of the endive so Eric couldn't have any. That's a dirty move and makes me think less of her. I'm glad B. Voltagio explained that he and Eric had a backup plan, even a 3rd as it might be necessary.

I was sorry to see Nini and Karen go, but I was really worried that Eric and Volt were about to be eliminated. This season is tough. I like everyone who's left. When Lee Anne and her crack monkey were in the top, I knew I was going to be shocked at whomever it was. 

I can hardly wait until next week. A new Tom "WTF.gif" is about to be born on the internet due to Malarkey's story including Shrek's 2 D's... Donkey and Dragon. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Like 10
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

For the flour QF I would have had a go-to (which surprises me!)-- I had this wonderful Equadoran "cheese bread" on vacation 2 years ago (Pan de yuca-- made with tapioca flour) that I've made many times since then. With a great salsa or spread--

I was also worried that my fav- Bryan V-- was in trouble. The dish looked a bit plain and dry to me. 

Did anyone else notice the rather cute but very subtle classical music drama as the dishes were discussed at table? Some sad quiet notes for critical comments for example.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I love this season, but I’m not loving Leanne.   For all his faults. Malarky did not do her dirty. She blamed “someone” else for her lack of seasoning and everyone knew she meant him.   I loved Leanne in Season 1, but she is not Gregory, Brian V., Kevin, or Melissa calibre.   And her attitude is not great. 
 

Kevin, Melissa and Gregory are really knocking it out of the park.  Brian V.  will get there, but I would be happy with any of them winning (I’d prefer Kevin....I just love him, but Gregory is definitely moving up the ladder).   Thank God Sheldon is not on this season because I couldn’t handle Kevin, Gregory and Sheldon competing against each other).

 

What a horrible episode to have a double elimination!   They really loved every dish.

Edited by AttackTurtle
  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

Kevin, Melissa and Gregory are really knocking it out of the park.  Brian V.  will get there, but I would be happy with any of them winning (I’d prefer Kevin....I just love him, but Gregory is definitely moving up the ladder).   Thank God Sheldon is not on this season because I couldn’t handle Kevin, Gregory and Sheldon competing against each other).

I know.  I adore Sheldon. This season is great but hard at the same time.  I love Kevin, Gregory, Melissa and Eric and would be thrilled for either of them to win.  Like Brian, LeeAnn and Stephanie and Malarkey is just whatever for me.  So for the most part, I’m going to be cringing at every elimination. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

Brian V.  will get there

He really seems to suffer from "makes an amazing dish, but it doesn't satisfy the brief." I mean-- not really showcasing the flour, and then not really getting enough sweet into the dish (though who knows if that was him or Eric to blame).

  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, VintageJ said:

I know.  I adore Sheldon. This season is great but hard at the same time.  I love Kevin, Gregory, Melissa and Eric and would be thrilled for either of them to win.  Like Brian, LeeAnn and Stephanie and Malarkey is just whatever for me.  So for the most part, I’m going to be cringing at every elimination. 

I met Sheldon at Tin Roof the day after his last elimination (he was stocking condiments).   I gave him a hug and he was like, “don’t feel bad for me.  I get to live on Maui and cook food for a living”.   I think Tom gave him the highest compliment I’ve ever heard on this show.   But yeah, a Kevin vs. Sheldon Season would be awful for me.  
 

I’m not a huge Nene fan and barely remembered the other girl.  
 

Leanne pulled an asshole move with the endive and I think Kevin called that out in the store.  This show is usually above gamesmanship line that.  Funny it came from her and not Malarkey.

 

 

Edited by AttackTurtle
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

For the flour QF I would have had a go-to (which surprises me!)-- I had this wonderful Equadoran "cheese bread" on vacation 2 years ago (Pan de yuca-- made with tapioca flour) that I've made many times since then. With a great salsa or spread--

I was diagnosed with Celiac 20+ years ago, before it was trendy.  When I discovered the "cheese bread" made with tapioca flour I almost cried with joy.  It is so delicious and versatile. I use it for chewy pizza crusts and rolls for sandwiches and hamburgers. It's the best!

I was glad Erik and Bryan V didn't go home. I kind of didn't think they would since they're both overall better chefs than Karen and Nini, in my opinion, and I know it isn't supposed to matter, but I'm sure it does somewhere in the grand scheme of things. But at this point Melissa and Kevin are really the two to beat. 

I really like Bryan V and I hope he can get his groove back. He's usually much better than this.  

  • Like 17
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Is this the cheese bread recipe?

https://www.laylita.com/recipes/pan-de-yuca-pan-queso/

Those tasty little breads at the Brazilian place? YUM.

I was absolutely ready for Nini to go. I was sad to see Karen leave though. Brian V and Eric are more talented chefs. Brian V though...he's looking a little rough around the edges, like he's just woken up from a three day bender. Maybe he just needs to shave.

I would be happy with Kevin, Melissa, Gregory or Eric winning, but I really think Melissa is going to be the quiet executioner, mowing through the competition. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Is this the cheese bread recipe?

https://www.laylita.com/recipes/pan-de-yuca-pan-queso/

 

That's pretty spot on to the one I make. In fact I think it's exactly the same recipe in a different formatting! I make a half recipe, and one of those smaller mozzarella "bricks" (8 oz, I think-- not the fresh kind, rather the kind in the dairy aisle) is just the right amount.

I'm wondering about the logistics-- next week is Restaurant week right? And we had 10, that went down to 8, but now [] is coming back from LCK-- which is 9 people. How does that work? Is someone going to get canned because his or her "restaurant concept" fails before they even cook?

  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I'm wondering about the logistics-- next week is Restaurant week right? And we had 10, that went down to 8, but now [] is coming back from LCK-- which is 9 people. How does that work? Is someone going to get canned because his or her "restaurant concept" fails before they even cook?

Judging from the preview, I think that's the plan. It;'d be similar to how they decided the concepts for Restaurant Wars in season 10 -- only more fair, because that ended up being a team of 3 against a team of 4 (but then the 3-team won, so...).

Melissa certainly looks like the one to beat. She's been consistently in the top whereas Kevin has had some ups and downs.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

And her voice.  I’m not a fan of “baby” or “babe” either way.  

And she refers to herself as the "baby" of the group because she's the youngest. I'm not a fan. If she wants to be taken seriously, she needs to act like an adult, want to be treated as an adult, and for the love of god, dress like an adult. She dresses like a 3 year old who insists on wearing their favorite costume to the grocery store and mom just gives up and goes with it. I am NOT a fan. 

Did Bryan Voltaggio forget how to cook? I was always a bigger fan of his brother's, but I do remember Bryan being better than he's been showing us. He's kind of living in his brother's shadow at this point, so I'm thinking that plays a bit into it. 

Leeanne can go anytime now. She's just not up to the level of the rest this season. All I could think was she was lucky she had Malarky to finish her dishes with her this time, and he had her to reign him in and focus his dish. That was one uncomfortable pairing though. 

I'm loving Melissa, Kevin, and Gregory. Unless something goes really wrong, I see them being the final 3 and Melissa winning. Melissa's dishes always are stunningly plated and sound amazing. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I'm wondering about the logistics-- next week is Restaurant week right? And we had 10, that went down to 8, but now [] is coming back from LCK-- which is 9 people. How does that work?

Perhaps there are two chefs coming back? The reigning champion,

Spoiler

Lisa

, plus either Nini or Karen? Or maybe it's a three-way cook-off for two spots? Though I guess Tom said "one of you" to Nini and Karen.  

I seem to be forgetting that I could just find a way to watch LCK.

6 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I FLOVED when we were shown each team in their vehicle discussing their shopping strategy, trying on the other one's vest, just enjoying each other's company. Then, in contrast, we see Lee Anne and Malarkey sitting silently in their vehicle, no interaction at all. 

That smash cut was awesome. I'm sure it was fake or at least selective -- can you imagine Malarkey and Leanne being silent for long? -- but it made the point about them effectively and hilariously. 

 

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Unintentionally timely episode (if I ever get to watch it -- FY Fios), since AP flour is hard to find in grocery stores right now.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

And she refers to herself as the "baby" of the group because she's the youngest. I'm not a fan. If she wants to be taken seriously, she needs to act like an adult, want to be treated as an adult, and for the love of god, dress like an adult. She dresses like a 3 year old who insists on wearing their favorite costume to the grocery store and mom just gives up and goes with it. I am NOT a fan. 

Did Bryan Voltaggio forget how to cook? I was always a bigger fan of his brother's, but I do remember Bryan being better than he's been showing us. He's kind of living in his brother's shadow at this point, so I'm thinking that plays a bit into it. 

Leeanne can go anytime now. She's just not up to the level of the rest this season. All I could think was she was lucky she had Malarky to finish her dishes with her this time, and he had her to reign him in and focus his dish. That was one uncomfortable pairing though. 

I'm loving Melissa, Kevin, and Gregory. Unless something goes really wrong, I see them being the final 3 and Melissa winning. Melissa's dishes always are stunningly plated and sound amazing. 

Bwhahaha about Nini's outfits. I am usually fine with people wearing whatever they want, but she really does infantilize herself. She's certainly not as cute and charming as she thinks she is. 

I was always a bigger Michael V than Bryan V fan. Michael just had a flare for food. 

Leann and Malarkey did help each other, but he was so damn fake when they served. What a jackass.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 10
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Okay I will say it, I HATE Malarky! His over the top showmanship just annoys me to no end, he can go next then I will like everyone who is left! I was pretty over NiNi’s “baby’s here” act, although for being so young it appears she is very talented. I won’t miss that. 

I haven’t watched this show in a few seasons, I don’t like how the judges are sometimes so harsh (the beginning of the season seemed particularly mean) I know it’s the nature of the beast, glad I am watching some of my favorites are there. Gregory is just such a gentle sweet soul, same with Melissa, I always wished this Voltaggio brother won his first season.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rai said:

Judging from the preview, I think that's the plan. It;'d be similar to how they decided the concepts for Restaurant Wars in season 10 -- only more fair, because that ended up being a team of 3 against a team of 4 (but then the 3-team won, so...).

Melissa certainly looks like the one to beat. She's been consistently in the top whereas Kevin has had some ups and downs.

My guess was that next week is the restaurant pitches, with someone getting eliminated and then the top two will be the leaders for the following week actual restaurant war- almost like a 2 parter, since it would be a lot to do in just one episode. 

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

As someone who cooks with those alternative flours, I knew that Malarkey was in trouble with the coconut flour.  It's really moist and doesn't behave like a normal flour at all.

It's nice to show some appreciation for classical music on TV!  I noticed the music cues during the tasting/judging as well.

Couldn't someone just have said the Philharmonic?

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, roctavia said:

My guess was that next week is the restaurant pitches, with someone getting eliminated and then the top two will be the leaders for the following week actual restaurant war- almost like a 2 parter, since it would be a lot to do in just one episode. 

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking too. TBH, I think I like it better than the usual way, which is everyone argue about the concept until they agree on one. I get the merits in collaboration, but it's good to have everyone know what to expect beforehand.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

No way my heart could handle a Gregory, Kevin, Melissa and SHELDON finale. I think Gregory is my favorite. I usually find out who my favorite is when they are in jeopardy of going home. And I was sweating bullets when he was on the chopping block. I hope he is doing well with his sobriety. I have some long time sober friends/family that are struggling with theirs during this insanity. 

When Padma announced a double elimination, Leanne and Malarkey were my only option for PYKAG. Then when they were safe, I quickly swiveled to Nini and Karen. 

It made me sad to see all these incredibly talented musicians and chefs knowing how this isolation has affected their livelihoods. My FIL is a retired opera singer and he said times are very tough for his musician friends right now.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, meep.meep said:

As someone who cooks with those alternative flours, I knew that Malarkey was in trouble with the coconut flour.  It's really moist and doesn't behave like a normal flour at all.

It's nice to show some appreciation for classical music on TV!  I noticed the music cues during the tasting/judging as well.

Couldn't someone just have said the Philharmonic?

Yeah, if Malarkey used rice flour, he would be more successful in making donuts.

Really surprising that not more of them used rice flour.  You can make noodles as well.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Lee Anne describing Malarkey as "a monkey on crack". It was especially funny coming from Lee Anne since she's been told she has too many ideas and needs to edit herself. 

They’ve both had that problem, but here it seemed Lee Anne was the only one trying to rein in that tendency (and I’m sure she was even more cognizant that it would be important given the two of them working together). It looked as if Malarkey kept wanting to throw more on their plate, and she was trying to keep him from going overboard. The focus on how the plate looked also made sense, since she’s been dinged for that, as well.

6 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Couldn't someone just have said the Philharmonic?

That bugged me, too.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Back in the 80s I went to a grad school that (as far as I can tell) was one of the early adopters of that stupid shortening. (Hoo Tow is one, for those in the know). The "phil" stuff bugged me as well. Why?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

They’ve both had that problem, but here it seemed Lee Anne was the only one trying to rein in that tendency (and I’m sure she was even more cognizant that it would be important given the two of them working together). It looked as if Malarkey kept wanting to throw more on their plate, and she was trying to keep him from going overboard. The focus on how the plate looked also made sense, since she’s been dinged for that, as well.

That bugged me, too.

At another point she likened him to a cat with a laser pointer.  Lee Ann has had that problem but has listened and learned from the judges, whereas Malarkey continues his crack monkey ways.  Glad she reined him in.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I am so tired of Lee Ann saying that Brian M. threw her under the bus.  It was HER fault.  Had she better managed her time she would not have needed extra help to finish her dish.  No way should Brian, who was HELPING take any blame for the seasoning. And, as many chefs on many shows have stated: the chef is responsible for the dish.  Taste everything that is going out.

However, I was super surprised that Lee Ann and Brian M. came in second.   Just goes to show that one never knows what will happen.  I liked Nene and Karen, so am sorry to see them go.  However, I totally understood the judges' comments about fresh versus roasted tomatoes.  Even though I did have to look up "umami" as I never heard it before.

And, like others, not everything has to be abbreviated.  It's the Philharmonic for goodness sake.  The "phil" doesn't make sense and, in my opinion, lessens what a philharmonic orchestra is/does.  Yes, I know I'm old...so, get off my lawn...

 

  • Like 13
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't get the vibe from Gregory's Instagram that he won.  It is difficult to believe with how Zen he seems that he was ever as bad as he describes himself as an addict.  I hope he keeps working his program and it is good to see that if there were issues from that time that he and his mom have worked through them. I hate I stopped watching his season because he seems  talented.  I started and remember liking him because my sister lives in  Portland and he cooks alot of meatless meals. 

Nini left for the same reason Stephanie soon will...don't compete if you don't think you are good enough.  You have to believe you belong.  I am also not a fan of her little girl playing with the big kids affect. 

I like Eric, but I get sick of his hearing about his culinary perspective.  It is great but don't pigeon hole yourself. 

I too always liked Bryan's brother better than Brian, so ..it really is not bothering me that he is struggling. I think he overthinks things and deep down he feels like his dishes are better than they are..

Although Tom would be offended I hardly believe that there are two chefs that are so much better than the rest on every challenge.  They clearly have a preference for the way Kevin and Melissa cook.  I'll be shocked if both of them don't make it to the end.  I must not have watched Karen's season because I don't know who she is. 

Kevin is probably a nice guy, but he bores me....

Edited by catrice2
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

The "phil" doesn't make sense and, in my opinion, lessens what a philharmonic orchestra is/does.  Yes, I know I'm old...so, get off my lawn...

Every time I get a notice in my email and see the title I think it must be an old thread from The Amazing Race as I see 'Phil' and think TAR.

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

"L.A. Phil" is what the Los Angeles Philharmonic started calling itself several years ago.  I'm used to it now, but it did bug me for a bit for it to be official (it had always been common to hear it referred to that way, but it wasn't branded that way until semi-recently).

  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

Kevin and Melissa are really killing it this season. Both of them have been so dominant thus far. I feel like they are definitely the chefs to beat. I also like Gregory and Eric and I still stan Bryan V but the dude needs to step. it. up. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

And, like others, not everything has to be abbreviated.  It's the Philharmonic for goodness sake.  The "phil" doesn't make sense and, in my opinion, lessens what a philharmonic orchestra is/does.  Yes, I know I'm old...so, get off my lawn...

It comes off like they were trying to make it a "thing" like the Met. To that I say stop trying to make fetch happen Gretchen. 

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

I like Eric, but I get sick of his hearing about his culinary perspective.  It is great but don't pigeon hole yourself. 

This. Not everything needs to have an African or Asian, in other's cases, focus. Especially when it's a far stretch to make it happen. it's becoming a detriment to a few of them. They are so focused on making sure their dish has their niche perspective, their dishes are suffering. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I really have enjoyed these All-Stars, and think it's so exciting to see the level that they are all already cooking at from such an early point in the season. The elimination this episode was a nailbiter for me, and at that point I realized that any departure after this episode will be hard.

I was genuinely surprised they invited Nini back so soon, since she performed so terribly in Restaurant Wars last season. She focused more on moving around tables and chairs than she did on her dessert, while also totally failing to train the dining staff. While her food always looked delicious, RW showed how very green she was, and I think she needed a few more years under her belt before coming back to TC.

Eric's food always looks so delicious, and last season I was so intrigued that I wanted to try out his restaurant--which did not exist. He and his wife do catering for private parties, and it sounds like that is still his gig. But I agree with others--he is so reliant on putting out West African food that I think it handicaps him a bit. But maybe he feels that if he wins or loses TC, he only wants it to happen doing his food.

I really like Bryan V, but he does seem incredibly off his game this season. He needs to pull himself together or he's going to have an exit far earlier than he should. I also need to get myself to Volt one of these days--which I've been saying since I saw TC Masters (first TC season I watched).

I am not sure who I want to win, but I every episode I find myself rooting for Kevin and/or Melissa's dishes. Given his backstory and why he came on the show, I think a Kevin win would be incredibly satisfying.

I am so looking forward to the next two RW-focused weeks. I can't wait to see each chef's pitch for their restaurant! From the preview, i think it's a safe bet that Malarkey's concept has too much...malarkey (and Malarkey) involved to be chosen.

(Also, I loved The Taste when it was on, but was unaware it had more than one season! I wonder if it's streaming anywhere...)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

"L.A. Phil" is what the Los Angeles Philharmonic started calling itself several years ago.  I'm used to it now, but it did bug me for a bit for it to be official (it had always been common to hear it referred to that way, but it wasn't branded that way until semi-recently).

Thanks for that info.  I was feeling really out of it.

It seems dumb to me anyhow! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Couldn't someone just have said the Philharmonic?

I was wondering if that was some kind of weird branding demand.

Was the QF supposed to be one kind of flour per chef or did it just work out that way? I agree that if Malarkey had chosen rice flour like Nini did his doughnut would've turned out. A rice flour ice cream though ...

I felt a specific kind of way about Melissa and Kevin being praised to the skies for highlighting a vegetable when their cabbage was smothered in ham and pork. I mean I get it, my cabbage always has at least some smoked sausage thrown in and it's delicious, but I don't count it as me glorifying vegetables.

I didn't watch most of Gregory's season, so I didn't know he struggles with substance abuse. Good for him for turning that around; I'm rooting for him even more now.

Edited by Lois Sandborne
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

When they showed LeeAnne and Malarkey in the car I think one of them was asleep. It was pretty funny compared to the other groups all brainstorming. Still surprised they would team up again, but had everyone else already paired up?

What exactly is the difference between an orchestra and a philharmonic?

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I also need to get myself to Volt one of these days

we went there a few (well more than a few) years ago and it was fabulous. We each got the tasting menu-- but I got the veggie one and we shared. I still remember the roasted carrots on a coffee dirt bed. It was amazing. And the man does like beets!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Here I am again from the shallow end of the pool... when Bryan V. said he would put the lacquer all over his body, I was all, I can help with that, darlin'! Call me! 😍

I am sick and tired of Eric and his West African schtick. Glad that he didn't get Bryan V. eliminated. And yes, I know it wasn't the flavors, it was the choice of how to cut the meat, but it just seemed to me that he rolled all over Bryan V. in this challenge. If Eric is so great, why doesn't he win every time?

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think Eric talks about his food's inspiration any more than any other chef talks about "presenting bright clean flavors" or  "integrity of the ingredients" or "keeping it fresh and local." There are always chefs repeating their "philosophies" and using cliched phrases to do it. I don't see why Eric is so different or particularly annoying.

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post

I don't mind that Eric makes food that is directly (or influenced by) West African cuisine. That's his lane and he can stay in it for every challenge if that's what he prefers. What I'm tired of is his need to announce it every.single.time. "It's a West African stew." Well no shit! That's what you make! Just say "It's a stew"!

I'm not sure why it's grating on me, but it is. 

Edited by Ashforth
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size