Type keyword(s) to search

Destination Fear - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ugh, two more incorrect answers this week. These scavenger hunts are starting to annoy me, heh. 

New episode coming up. 

S02.E11: Rolling Hills Asylum

Tanner confronts his greatest fear when the team explores an upstate New York asylum said to be haunted by the spirit of a 7-foot-tall man. The unique investigation causes them to completely re-evaluate everything they've ever believed about fear.

New episode this Saturday! This is Tanner's pick!

S02.E12: Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum

The team heads to West Virginia to explore the most haunted asylum in America. Dakota has doubts about their ability to combat the bloodthirsty souls lurking in the shadows of the cursed property, but Tanner believes they are up for the challenge!

Airdate: 12/05/2020

I know Ghost Adventures has shot there, and I'm sure there are even more paranormal shows that have as well. I'm actually looking forward to Alex's pick this time since he didn't pick last year. 

I thought it was a really good episode. 

Alex getting the phone call from Tanner, not once, but twice, only to learn that Tanner didn't even have his phone on him, and that it was DEAD was so creepy! I'm not sure what I would have done in that situation. 

I've heard the story about Dean before and it always makes me so sad. I hate to think that he's still at the facility because I would rather he have moved on. 

I'm curious as to what Alex's pick will be next week. 

FYI, the Destination Fear FB page is still accepting answers until tomorrow at 8 PM EST if anyone wants to participate. 

The first five people to submit correct answers get a prize box. The names of the remaining participants who answered correctly are put in a draw and 10 winners are chosen. You can win t-shirts, bracelets, autographed pics, etc. It's fun but their questions are always super tricky. 

• Love 2

New episode tomorrow. I believe this is the second last episode of the season. It is also Alex's pick! Also, I was one of ten lucky winners picked from a draw after having all 10 questions answered correctly from last week's scavenger hunt. I'm not sure what I won but it's still exciting. And they will be announcing the names of the winners during Dakota's live Instagram tomorrow before the episode. 

S02.E13: Old Idaho Prison

After many nights of torment by the paranormal, Alex finally gets his chance to pick a haunted location for the team to investigate. And he is ready to get even. He has planned the most terrifying experiment for Dakota yet at an infamous Idaho prison.

Airdate: 12/12/2020

• Love 1

Well I thought that was pretty good. I loved Alex locking Dakota up in "Siberia" for over a half hour, haha. I also found it amusing that rather than having the guys pick their sleeping arrangements, he picked them for them. 

That EVP was super creepy. I don't know what you guys heard, but I heard "She said don't juuuump" in a super creepy, deep voice. It gave me chills.

Next week is the final location of the season. 

• Love 1

Season finale airs tomorrow!

S02.E14: Old Hospital On College Hill

Dakota has saved the best for last as the team rolls up to an abandoned West Virginia hospital. Known for its brutal deaths and grisly amputations, the blood-stained grounds have a chilling prescription in store for them that may shatter the team forever.

Airdate: 12/19/2020

• Love 1

So I got my scavenger hunt prize in the mail the other day and I was really impressed. I got a poster, a photo of the gang that was autographed by all of them, a small pack of candy, a keychain with a light, and a teeny-tiny rubber duckie with an explanation of the origin, lol. There was also a handwritten note congratulating me on my win, and thanking me for the ongoing support. It was really sweet. 

• Love 5

Am I the only one watching the new season?

They changed the opening credits to finally include Alex which pleases me greatly. 

Dakota blindfolded poor Tanner and left him alone for three hours in solitary confinement in what I believe was the second episode. 

The scavenger hunts are still taking place but now you have to email your answers to them as opposed to sending them by Facebook messenger. I wasn't able to watch the first two episodes in time and missed both scavenger hunts but saw last night's episode that took place at Fort Knox so I can finally participate. 

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on the new season?

The more I watch this show, the more I like it. To me, it feels like a cross between very early GA with the small group filming themselves (and I wonder if Zak, as a producer, ever looks at this and regrets what GA has turned into), and Ghost Brothers with its ride-or-die friendships that predate the show. I know Zak, Nick and Aaron are (were) friends, but they became friends as adults, and Aaron was hired in. I also like the Alex is a full partner now, I like the brother/sister dynamic, and the childhood-friend familiarity (like when Chelsea found out she drew the slip for the place she really didn't want to go and stomped off, Dakota said "well, I didn't expect that!" and Tanner dryly said "you didn't?")

I hope they are able to keep it like it is now, and stay away from TRVL meddling to make it darker and more sensational.

• Love 2

I really like Chelsea - she's my favorite. I am seeing some early signs of this turning into another GA - the "experiments," the attempts at creating drama between them, and I could be mistaken but I think they have at least one other camera person in with them, since I see shots that aren't from their own cameras, and don't seem to be from a static camera. That's how GA started, just the three of them and their cameras and look what it turned into!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Chelsea and Alex are my two favourites. I'm also worrying that this show is starting to change. There's a different feel this season and the manufactured drama between them makes me nervous. I loved GA in the beginning and miss those simpler times. I hope this show stays 'small' and authentic. 

FYI but this Saturday is the final episode. Although it appears that in October we might be getting 8 more episodes. 

• Love 1
On 9/7/2021 at 9:28 PM, jewel21 said:

Chelsea and Alex are my two favourites. I'm also worrying that this show is starting to change. There's a different feel this season and the manufactured drama between them makes me nervous. I loved GA in the beginning and miss those simpler times. I hope this show stays 'small' and authentic. 

FYI but this Saturday is the final episode. Although it appears that in October we might be getting 8 more episodes. 

Agreed on the subtle changes it feels like.  I think they need to change their premise a little bit.  I like that they each get to pick a spot, but the whole 'twist' of Dakota being the only one who knows where is kind of dumb.  Whoever's week it is of course isn't going to say until its time.   That's my only complaint.  Not a complaint really, i don't know why but i have to mute it at that part hahHH.  Stupid i know.  I really like the show and i hope it goes on, that they don't get burned out. Two words 'Katrina Weidman'.  She's disappeared.  She always has good shows.  I've followed her since PRS days. Loved P Lockdown, then it was canceled.  Then Portals, no new shows since forever.  Of all her partners, Jack is the best and you can tell they have a great relationship. Katrina, where are yooooooou?  Lol. Back on topic.  Also i have to say that paintball game was such a perfect way to de-stress. Tanner was hysterical!  HahahahH i was laughing the whole way through.  Too dam funny.  Maybe if they can find more of those ways to shake it off and not burn out.

On 9/7/2021 at 9:28 PM, jewel21 said:

Wonder if they'll do something good for Halloween

• Love 1

Dakota says the Road Trip is over, but the season isn't. I smell Zak Bagans's paws on this.

Reasons why Chelsea is my favorite: she doesn't take crap from the guys, she's a hockey goalie badass, and in November she will officially become an optometrist. Good for her for keeping things in perspective and not climbing all the way onto the cable-show-fame bandwagon. It seems like she's having fun, has probably earned enough to pay off or significantly down student loans, and has a non-tv career waiting for her when the show is done.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ananayel said:

Dakota said on his Insta that there are more episodes (eight, I think) and they are going to Ireland!

I saw that on FB earlier today. I believe the last two episodes will take place in Ireland!

On 9/13/2021 at 10:16 PM, Ananayel said:

Dakota says the Road Trip is over, but the season isn't. I smell Zak Bagans's paws on this.

Reasons why Chelsea is my favorite: she doesn't take crap from the guys, she's a hockey goalie badass, and in November she will officially become an optometrist. Good for her for keeping things in perspective and not climbing all the way onto the cable-show-fame bandwagon. It seems like she's having fun, has probably earned enough to pay off or significantly down student loans, and has a non-tv career waiting for her when the show is done.

I like all four of them, really. But yeah, Chelsea is probably my favorite too, followed by Alex, whom is now finally credited in the intro.

I look forward to seeing the episodes in Ireland too.

• Love 2

I just found this show when I was channel surfing last weekend and did a little binge watching. I get really tired of "ghost" shows after a few episodes, but I love this show's concept. I'm endlessly amused that there's a show about 4 people who just go around to intentionally have the crap scared out of themselves. If you watch a few episodes in a row, you really zone in on how many times someone screams: Whoah, what was that??? They're adorable, all of them. They seem like lovely people, and it's fun seeing where they're going to go next. 

Also, as someone who grew up in WV (not far from the Moundsville Pen), I'm glad to see all of our haunted old asylums and prisons getting some press, heh. 

Edited by Stiggs
  • Love 4

The last two episodes had some extremely scary/freaky moments--Tanner's audio going out when he was in the tunnels in Cresson was odd and I was especially freaked out by the music playing in the gym of the Defiance Jr high-school episode.  I did laugh at Tanner and Alex's "Dude!" every time they found another radio on though.  I also like the familiarity in that they've known each other all their lives and they're obviously all very sibling-esque in how they relate.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Re:  Old Harriman Hospital:  I do love everyone's reactions to the "unexplained footsteps" but I legitimately gasped when the lights on the grid went completely dark and I loved Dakota's running up to check on Chelsea-=he is a good brother :):)

Oh i know! And it was very trippy when the shadow went by that was in the shape of a person.  Gave me goosebumps

• Like 1
16 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Re:  Old Harriman Hospital:  I do love everyone's reactions to the "unexplained footsteps" but I legitimately gasped when the lights on the grid went completely dark and I loved Dakota's running up to check on Chelsea-=he is a good brother :):)

Except when he locks her in a dungeon, lol. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I think the best part of this show is the camaraderie that exists between the team.  I cracked up when Chelsea said she was taking all of the good luck because she needed it the most and Alex said that's not how it words and that he has a force field around his--extremely sibling-esque.

I also kind of loved how they kept filming while the batteries in each of their cameras died--very dramatic.

I'm going to miss this crazy show :)

• Like 2

It might still get picked up, I don't think there's been an announcement. This and anything Ghost Brothers are my favorites, because of the friendship dynamics. But Chelsea will be getting married this year, and may not want to continue doing this for much longer. Fingers crossed though!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Thanks - I only follow them on Instagram. I hope there is more too - I wonder what ridiculous experiments Dakota will come up with, and I love seeing them all get more comfortable with the whole process from the first season, where the non-film-career folks seemed a bit more reserved.

• Like 1

Dakota posted on his Insta that they don't know if they are renewed or cancelled yet, but this past week they asked for fan support. Apparently, some of that support was fans starting rumors that Zak is jealous of Dakota, and leaned on the network not to renew. I mean, Zak is one of the producers, so that would be stupid. Dakota set the record straight on that (with a no to both,) but let on that there are some issues between him and Zak, which he'll address later. That makes me sad, I thought it was so great that Zak took him under his wing like that, after Dakota won the contest and appeared on an ep with his dad.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

It's sad but (to me) not really surprising if Zak is having issues with DF/Dakota.  With Ghost Adventures, Zak laid a lot of ground work in getting this type of show on the air.  Sadly, GA has become kind of awful very recently, whereas Destination Fear seems very popular (and to be fair, it's not going on 30 seasons old, so it's fresher than GA).  If that reflects in the ratings or whatever research Discovery has, Zak may be a little miffed.

In the words of Mr. White in That Thing You Do!:  A record actually climbing the charts -- she'll be chartreuse with envy.

• Useful 1

DF is much more like GA used be its first few seasons, and its success and fan support (which of course GA still has) makes me wonder if Zak realizes he went down the wrong road in search of ratings or influence. Uncomfortable nostalgia, perhaps. I hope DF gets renewed, but what I really want is Mountain Monsters back. I love those wacky hillbillies!

• Like 2

I saw that and I'm very happy they are not giving up. The final season still hasn't aired here in Canada but I'm looking forward to finally watching it when it does and following these guys on YouTube. 

• Like 2

They originally asked for $65K to fund two road trips (Chelsea made sure to state that they owned all their tech outright, it didn't belong to TRVL or another production company.) So far, they've raised, in just about two days, over $200K. Travel Channel may seriously regret this one. 

• Like 6

They are now up to over $340K, with slightly more than a week to go on the Kickstarter. Dakota says it's enough for two full years of shows, likely with two (possibly more) road trips a year. He said the next one is ready to go - locations chosen, accommodations booked, they are ready to go. 

• Like 7

Dtour, my Canadian affiliate, finally aired the Season 4 premiere. It was nice to see the gang again. Dakota's experiment of them not having flashlights just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen, heh. And on a shallow note, I'm not sure how I feel about Alex's new look and pierced ears. 

On 6/24/2023 at 12:33 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Not yet, but it is definitely on my "to do" list.

I watched but think I was half asleep.  Did it end midway through?  Like right before they were going to split for sleep time.  Oh and the club is not..... Free.  Isn't that what they said?  Again, asleep.  If they are going to charge, they should offer a free version.  Anyway I did like what I saw of ep 1 except the faux excitement in the beginning was giving me a major headache.  Tone down the screaming and jumping a tad won'tcha guys. Heehee thx

3 hours ago, ForumLou said:

I watched but think I was half asleep.  Did it end midway through?  Like right before they were going to split for sleep time.  Oh and the club is not..... Free.  Isn't that what they said?  Again, asleep.  If they are going to charge, they should offer a free version.  Anyway I did like what I saw of ep 1 except the faux excitement in the beginning was giving me a major headache.  Tone down the screaming and jumping a tad won'tcha guys. Heehee thx

Wait, so they are making the full episodes PPV?

Yeah, like you said, I pretty sure I remember reading before that the full episodes were going to be available for free on YT.  That sucks, if they're not.

• Like 1

Okay, after checking out the ProjectFearYT subreddit, it seems that they are breaking each full episode up in to 2 parts, and the 2nd part is a week after the first one.  Not quite sure on that part, though.

Also, the 'paywall' part is something they call the Fear Club;  sounds like its separate from the YT page.  Its a $9.99/mo subscription where among other stuff they put at least some, if not all, of the best evidence captures from these new locations/new visits to old locations.

I will likely end up caving and paying that $10/mo to see said evidence captures - because that's what I'm here for and having liked the past 4 seasons of DF - but its really disappointing.  They raised nearly $400K to kickstart/fund this YT venture, and now are charging so people can see the real reason for watching?  Don't get me wrong, I like the format and their reactions to things & interactions with each other, but I watch 'paranormal hunting' shows for the - at least supposed - evidence captures.

• Like 1