Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E20: The Things We Have to Lose

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Objectively, sure. Like I said it's definitely understandable why Lakira just took the money, but recanting led to Dakota getting killed and likely other victims, as Davies was discussed as being a regular. 

I may have missed something, but did Lakira ever mention that any of her friends have been killed in a situation like? Maybe this was the first time she lost a friend to a homicidal "John", and that's why she is feeling the emotions now.

2 hours ago, dttruman said:

I may have missed something, but did Lakira ever mention that any of her friends have been killed in a situation like? Maybe this was the first time she lost a friend to a homicidal "John", and that's why she is feeling the emotions now.

No, but in the first episode "Midnight in Manhattan" Kat speaks to a group of transgender streetwalkers and it's indicated that Davies is well known to them and there have been numerous victims who've been beaten. So Lakira had to know there were previous victims and would be future ones if Davies weren't imprisoned.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, dttruman said:

If Fin goes the Double Tap route, would that help wife's lawsuit? Here in the USA, some people believe the police should only shoot the suspect once, especially the family of the suspect. The claim is the police are too overzealous and kill-happy.

People who say that have never been in combat. 

11 hours ago, dttruman said:

How often can a rich guy like Harv and Sir Toby get away with that tactic, where the proceedings are ready to begin, but then a sudden medical reason pops up and he can't appear?

As for Benson, it's just another one of her grandstand moments. Her thirst for justice has her one step away from vigilante justice.

A question for you, is that a form of harassment or intimidation that Benson might be accused  of?

For a one off no, if she keeps it up yes. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/8/2020 at 11:50 PM, Route66 said:

No, but in the first episode "Midnight in Manhattan" Kat speaks to a group of transgender streetwalkers and it's indicated that Davies is well known to them and there have been numerous victims who've been beaten. So Lakira had to know there were previous victims and would be future ones if Davies weren't imprisoned.

I wonder why none of the other transgender streetwalkers who got beat up would press charges? Were they paid off also? If so then, I guess it got a round that he has a reputation of paying off Big Time if he got rough. Maybe that is why Lakira didn't press charges later. Then shouldn't all the ones who were beat up also be feeling the same guilt as Lakira?

Edited by dttruman
5 hours ago, dttruman said:

I wonder why none of the other transgender streetwalkers who got beat up would press charges? Were they paid off also? If so then, I guess it got a round that he has a reputation of paying off Big Time if he got rough. Maybe that is why Lakira didn't press charges later. Then shouldn't all the ones who were beat up also be feeling the same thing as Lakira.

It came across as if Kat might have known that since she was on the Vice Squad and had a previous relationship with Lakira. Hookers on the entire L&O universe have always been shown with a fairly easygoing relationship with the police. In many episodes, cops approached and questioned hookers with very little fear or animosity. If Davies had a reputation for getting rough, possibly the prostitutes just took it in stride or decided it was part of the cost of street walking. 

Wolfe's portrayal of transgenders has always been strangely one dimensional, with the exception of Avery from "Transgender Bridge". The morality of any transgender character's behaviour is literally left out of the entire conversation. Cheryl in "Fallacy" is in an intimate relationship without disclosing being trans. Preston in "Service" watches a woman being raped and winds up as a hero. I felt like Lakira recanting and taking the payoff was part of that theme.

• Love 3
On 4/25/2020 at 2:59 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I'm glad the season ended with Fin getting a story of his own. He was trying to do right by Joelle and Andre. Joelle is wrong for suing him, but I think it's coming from a place of her own pain and feelings of helplessness. Whenever the show returns, I hope we get a resolution to the story where she realizes that and withdraws her lawsuit against Fin.

I honestly think they could have just left out the Ivy Bucci story and kept the other three, which were more interesting.

The scene of Lakira and her friends mourning Dakota was very moving. I even liked the song that soundtracked the opening and closing scenes of the episode.

Very late to the party, but I agree with all of this. I suspect Joelle is partly suing him to cover up her own feelings of failing her son, to put the blame on someone else. Had she agreed to have her husband reported for violating parole, he'd have gone back to prison, which would have been difficult for the son, but he wouldn't be dead, with the son having witnessed his death.

They definitely could have left out Ivy. And it would have made more sense, as the other two non-Sir Toby cases were from the same episode.

I was also very moved by Lakira and friends paying tribute to Dakota and teared up a bit. And glad it was Kat there and not Olivia.

• Love 2