Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E04: Karma Chameleon

• Start Topic

Bear seeks to prove that no one can extinguish the fire that he has burning for Kailah; Ashley and Mattie get into a heated argument; the players compete in the freezing Cold War challenge, which proves too chilling for one person.

Airs April 22, 2020.

That challenge seems kind of random, like it was harder to detach the puzzle pieces for some teams than others.

Bananas telling his team to release the pieces was a good idea but was it because all 3 of them went after the carabiner together, if that’s even possible?  Or the carabiners were all much easier to open than it was for that first team?

Although the water got colder, I think the later teams got to see what to do.  Also one team had two female divers.  I don’t know if the puzzle pieces were heavy but it seemed like strength helped.

I guess Ashley was going to get voted in, even if she didn’t get into an altercation.  Kyle was a two-faced snake, the one who organized the votes against Ashley then consoled her after the vote.  Probably rankles several vets that she’s won big prize money.

The elimination, it wasn’t much of a puzzle though I don’t know the order.  But presumably these vets do.  Was it just luck that Dee found the puzzle pieces faster?  She moved faster but did they break the same number of pots?

• Love 2

Three-plus hours and no responses? Dang. (Whoops, @scrb just chimed in)

Bunim-Murray gets sadistic again with the freezing cold, and two teams of five (or at least the three people in the cold water) tap out. It's not that I care for Nelson, but nobody should have to get stuffed into a bag and shipped to the hospital. For pity's sake, TJ pulled the plug on one trio, and he hates quitting!

This week was mostly chilled bones and Bear being an asshole. This time, he all but drops trou and wiggles it in front of Kailah, and fires off a figurative load by setting off a fire extinguisher. Ashley gets some of the crap in the mouth, and she gets mad, and then security gets between her and Mattie. Ashley and Bear . . . a match made in hell.

So, anyway, the group shoves Ashley into Purgatory, and the five-person Tribunal* winds up sending Dee. The game is something something spinning a wheel getting pieces with the names of past seasons. Dee gets the lead, but she's fucked because she doesn't have MTV in Australia (or doesn't watch it). But then Wes balances the scales by shouting advice to his one-time partner, and Dee gets her Skull. Ashley is gone . . . doesn't ease the hurt of losing CT, but it helps a little. Also, there's now a small fracture in the Wesnana alliance. Really hoping Johnny is getting snowed, because that partnership is just unnatural.

As much as I wanted Bear and Johnny to get sent to the hospital, I'm happy for Aneesa. I wonder how this mission compares to Freeze Your Butt Off (BOTS1) and Melt With You (BOTS2) for her.

*I looked up "Tribunal," and Wikipedia didn't say squat about needing exactly three people. So a five-person Tribunal isn't too dumb.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think it's BS that players in Purgatory can have the puzzles solved for them by the people in the stands.

I like Jordan in general but what is that Amish getup he wears in his confessionals? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 8

So:

Mattie calls Ashley out on her myriad sexual conquests: okay

Ashley calls Mattie out on her prior criminal record: not okay

#ChallengeLogic

(my favorite background moment was the entire house screaming at each other in the kitchen after Bear's antics with the fire extinguisher, and the random shots of both possum!Wes, who's too old for this stuff, and Jay, who's like "hey, it's not rats and snakes crawling over me," lying on some beanbag thing, practically napping through it)

It's interesting how much the vets seem to be crumbling in the bunker situation (well, some of them). I'm sure people are hooking up, but it doesn't seem to be as conducive an environment for it. I welcome it, quite frankly.

And if there was ever any indicator MTV either has an airtight contract or does not care about contestant safety, it was that Cold War challenge. Contestant gets hypothermia? It's all good, man!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Eolivet said:

So:

#ChallengeLogic

To add to that:

Everyone lashing out at everyone else, except Bear.

#ChallengeLogic

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Lola82 said:

I think it's BS that players in Purgatory can have the puzzles solved for them by the people in the stands.

Me too, and it doesn't help that I cannot stand Dee. Another night of futile yelling at the tv. 

• Love 2

I don't think it was fair that Wes was basically giving Dee the answers. TJ should have dq'd them both.

5 hours ago, Lola82 said:

I like Jordan in general but what is that Amish getup he wears in his confessionals? 

He looked like he was cosplaying as Simple Jack from Tropic Thunder. What was that hairdo?

I've only ever felt bad for Ashley once on The Challenge, when she got the news about her father during that one challenge but this episode I was kind of on her side at the beginning. Now I'm happy she's gone but imo Bear was an ass for what he did. And everyone was just like oh he's so funny?? I don't get why Mattie was so quick to jump into that fight. How is bringing up your arrest record too personal but you basically calling someone a whore first (that "not the worst thing your mouth" comment) wasn't??

Now that Ashley is gone, Dee is Johnny's new target to get the house against?

"We finally got out of the bunker! Let's go to a basement bar."

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

Now I'm happy she's gone but imo Bear was an ass for what he did. And everyone was just like oh he's so funny??

I was curious because I've always heard fire extinguishers aren't anything to play with, so I googled. According to poison.org, they can cause irritation to the nose, throat and lungs which could cause shortness of breath and coughing. Dizziness and headache are possible. Contact of the powders (which they clearly had) with the eyes, nose, throat and skin can cause irritation.  They should have gone outside for fresh air immediately and maybe even checked by medical people.  The fact that this was treated as a mild prank really bothers me. 

• Love 12

1) Bear is a character. I don't care for Bear, but he's entertaining to watch. Bear knows exactly how to get invited back to the next 20 seasons of this show.

2) I wanted Dee to go home soooo bad. I really want Dee to lose. The way she "threw away" Ashley at the nominations the moment she didn't need her really rubbed me the wrong way.

3) I may be wrong but Ashley doesn't seem to have that same fire that she used to have. It seems like she has less incentive to play as hard as she used to since winning the $1 million on season 32.

4) Aneesa's comic relief this season is on point. I just want to keep her around for the entertainment. The comments when Dee said "love you guys" as she left the tribunal was hilarious.

5) You can tell that none of the Tribunal women wanted to volunteer themselves regardless of what the elimination challenge was. They were all dressed casually.

6) I'm wondering how was it not obvious to the "unholy trinity" alliance that Big T's politicking was not that great and was "amateurish." The only person to question Big T's deal was Nany.

7) Mattie and Ashley... shortest alliance ever.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Lola82 said:

I think that should be against the rules. The one advantage Ashley had that would have won her the game was taken away when Dee basically got some from 1 of 3 people there that has been apart of the show for the last 20 seasons.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:
7 hours ago, Lola82 said:

He looked like he was cosplaying as Simple Jack from Tropic Thunder. What was that hairdo?

I was gonna say he looked like Jim Carey's character from Dumb and Dumber had been in quarantine for too long and tried to give himself a haircut. He looked straight up foolish.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Giuseppe said:

I was gonna say he looked like Jim Carey's character from Dumb and Dumber had been in quarantine for too long and tried to give himself a haircut. He looked straight up foolish.

Yes he did! He had a nice bowl cut going on. 😄  He looked awful. 

Ashley, you lost, why are you still yammering on for twenty minutes?  Bye!  So long!  If you wanted to help your grandma maybe that could have come before the new boobs!

Her hair looked pretty though.

You guys.  I *still* like Nelson.

Helping from the peanut gallery doesn’t bother me.  If no one made it against the rules, have at it.  And the Greek chorus shouting over Wes made me laugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Lola82 said:

5 hours ago, IndyMischa said:

Me too, and it doesn't help that I cannot stand Dee. Another night of futile yelling at the tv. 

I'm pretty sure players have yelled out suggestions in the past, either for strategy or giving directions on puzzles.

Not saying that makes it right but the producers never bothered to change the rules or bar such help.

Since they actively encourage alliances and rivalries for maximum drama or to drive which scenes they actually air, they probably see alliance members helping each other.

As Wes said, he was going to be in trouble if Dee got eliminated.  So unless it's specifically barre, it makes sense that he'd try to help her.

Wonder if the Americans were aware that The Challenge isn't broadcast in Australia.

• Love 4

It was irresponsible to put the others in the water that sent a player to the hospital. Ashley saying Fessy and Josh are dumb is laughable. Geez, didn’t realize we had a genius there in Ashley😂

I do like Ashley more than Dee and was pissed Dee got help but excited Ashley called out Wes for it. Bridge burned. All these decisions come back to haunt you later. Mattie should’ve went in against Ashley. That would’ve been more dramatic. Surprised she didn’t want it after their screaming match. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

[Jordan] looked like he was cosplaying as Simple Jack from Tropic Thunder. What was that hairdo?

The facial hair bugged me more, but I gotta get this out of my system: "He went Simple Jordan. Never go Simple Jordan."

Almost forgot . . . I attended an event last summer with Challengers, and that included Cara Maria. She came out to "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club. My first thought: "Of course."

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, AntFTW said:

To add to that:

#ChallengeLogic

Right?  He just faded into the background.

14 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

Now I'm happy she's gone but imo Bear was an ass for what he did. And everyone was just like oh he's so funny?? I don't get why Mattie was so quick to jump into that fight. How is bringing up your arrest record too personal but you basically calling someone a whore first (that "not the worst thing your mouth" comment) wasn't??

That must have been some redneck logic that Mattie was using.  Because yeah the house's (or bunker's) fury should have been firmly placed on Bear for being an asshole.

Mattie claimed she was upset with Ashley because Ashley spit on Bear for using the fire extinguisher.  Mattie said, "Where I'm from spitting on someone is like punching them."  Or something along those lines, that is why I said Red Neck logic.

14 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I was curious because I've always heard fire extinguishers aren't anything to play with, so I googled. According to poison.org, they can cause irritation to the nose, throat and lungs which could cause shortness of breath and coughing. Dizziness and headache are possible. Contact of the powders (which they clearly had) with the eyes, nose, throat and skin can cause irritation.  They should have gone outside for fresh air immediately and maybe even checked by medical people.  The fact that this was treated as a mild prank really bothers me. 

I have never been sprayed by a fire extinguisher but I have been sprayed with mace and it was not a fun experience.  When I was in high school during study hall one of my friends had mace.  Another of our friends dared her to spray it and she did and the entire room had to be evacuated. 

13 hours ago, AntFTW said:

1) Bear is a character. I don't care for Bear, but he's entertaining to watch. Bear knows exactly how to get invited back to the next 20 seasons of this show.

4) Aneesa's comic relief this season is on point. I just want to keep her around for the entertainment. The comments when Dee said "love you guys" as she left the tribunal was hilarious.

Same here.  What won me over with Bear is I saw clips of him on Celebrity Big Brother UK being an asshole to Frankie Grande (Sorry for mentioning him by name Peach, let us just hope he does not show up) and Aubrey O'Day.  I cannot stand either of them, so that was enough to embrace the character of Bear.

I said it before Aneesa is always going to hold a special place in my heart because her RW season was the first I watched all the way through.  She truly seems like someone who would be fun to hang out with.

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

You guys.  I *still* like Nelson.

Helping from the peanut gallery doesn’t bother me.  If no one made it against the rules, have at it.  And the Greek chorus shouting over Wes made me laugh.

I like to see Nelson do good.  Though after seeing him on Dr. Phil a few months ago I question why that is the case.

It does not bother me either.  I mean Ashley had an advantage of knowing the order of when the shows aired while Dee did not.  I think Wes just evened the playing field.  Then again I think I might be the only Dee fan on this site, so I might be a tad bit biased. 

I forgot that Jenna was even on this season.  Every time she does a talking head I am like, "Hey cool Jenna is on this season, I totally forgot."  And then moments later I forget she's on the season.

Also, did we really need Kaycee to do a talking head explaining the challenge when TJ just did that very thing minutes before?  Talking about padding the episode.  They do this shit on Big Brother all of the time and it's annoying.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

The one security guard had a look of "I do not get paid enough to deal with this shit" during the Maddie/Ashley fight. 

22 hours ago, Eolivet said:

And if there was ever any indicator MTV either has an airtight contract or does not care about contestant safety, it was that Cold War challenge. Contestant gets hypothermia? It's all good, man!

I would have liked to have seen production do more to balance the water temperatures between rounds to ensure that the playing field was even. The first group had 61 degree water, then the next groups were in the 50s. I'm also surprised that Tori was the only one to realize that if her breakers added ice that the water would be colder when their group went in. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 4/23/2020 at 8:54 AM, Eolivet said:

So:

#ChallengeLogic

20 hours ago, AntFTW said:

To add to that:

#ChallengeLogic

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, sabretooth said:

The one security guard had a look of "I do not get paid enough to deal with this shit" during the Maddie/Ashley fight. 

Imagine being a security guard for this show. I'm sure they all hate their lives!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I'm also furious about the way everyone came down on Ashley.  I know it's really just an easy excuse for voting, but Mattie got completely off.  She burned the HELL out of Ashley.  Don't get me wrong, I went OOOOHHH along with everyone in the house, because dayum, that was harsh, but also well played!  That said, it was "slut" shaming, and obviously Ashley was embarrassed.  So she came back at Mattie about her DUI.  Why was that out of bounds?  Mattie embarrassed Ashley for (as far as I know) completely legal activities with consenting adults, and Ashley embarrassed Mattie for something she did which was illegal and could have killed someone.  Mattie threw the first blow, I honestly don't see how Ashley is the bad guy here.

I hated that Wes helped Dee, but I think it was fair play.  They've always done it, and I've never complained before so I guess I can't now.  But I do wish everyone else had been more successful at drowning him out.  I'm developing a strong dislike for Dee, and if she takes ANY credit for beating Ashley, it will grow even more.

• Love 6

I think this challenge was poorly designed.  The two breakers basically did nothing and had no impact on the game.  At the very least, they should have had the breakers solve the puzzle instead of the divers.

I don't mind Dee, she's not a favorite, but I don't have anything against her.  I have a bit of a soft spot for Ashley, because I laughed so hard when she kept the $1 million all to herself.  She did get railroaded here, but next week it will be someone else getting the same treatment, so I can't get too worked up about it.

I'm surprised it only appears to be Tori who wants to go into elimination.  When will these idiots realize they need to go into elimination to go to the final.  Plus, the more eliminations there are, the "harder" the contestants will be to fight in elimination.

• Love 6

I think the reason why what Maddie said was ok, while what Ashley said was not, is because I got the impression Maddie told a few people about her arrest in confidence.  While everyone knows Ashley's exploits (plus it was a total softball of a joke). I could be wrong though.  I'm not sure when this was filmed and whether Maddie's arrest was public knowledge.  

I was happy to see Ashley go. Her only value to me us that she gets under Johnny's skin. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

After the whole house wanted Ashley to go into elimination, why were most of them rooting for her over Dee? 

Probably opposing alliance.

7 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

I'm surprised it only appears to be Tori who wants to go into elimination. 

Dee wanted to go in also.

7 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

I don't mind Dee, she's not a favorite, but I don't have anything against her. 

Me too. I would say that she is one of my favourite girls but that is not saying much since I like maybe two or three of them.

• Love 2
On 4/23/2020 at 8:31 AM, Lola82 said:

On 4/23/2020 at 1:51 PM, IndyMischa said:

On 4/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, TiffanyNichelle said:

I don't think it was fair that Wes was basically giving Dee the answers. TJ should have dq'd them both.

On 4/23/2020 at 2:36 PM, AntFTW said:

I think that should be against the rules. The one advantage Ashley had that would have won her the game was taken away when Dee basically got some from 1 of 3 people there that has been apart of the show for the last 20 seasons.

Someone else beat me to saying this, but people have been doing that for FOREVER, and I have ALWAYS hated it.  I wish that it was against the rules, but since it's not and never has been, it's all fair game.  

I thought that the elimination was lame as hell. Too much was left up to chance. Plus, it's unfair to ask someone from a country that doesn't air The Challenge to list them in order. For the record though...I knew the order because I have no life!

On 4/23/2020 at 5:51 PM, Cherry Cola said:

Yes he did! He had a nice bowl cut going on. 😄  He looked awful. 

To me, he looked like Mario. The overalls, the mustache. All that was missing was the red hat with a giant "M". 

1 hour ago, xfuse said:

Dee wanted to go in also.

Me too. I would say that she is one of my favourite girls but that is not saying much since I like maybe two or three of them.

I like her because she has proven to be a strong competitor. It is painful to watch her pine over Rogan though. Ugh. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, lasu said:

I'm also furious about the way everyone came down on Ashley.  I know it's really just an easy excuse for voting, but Mattie got completely off.  She burned the HELL out of Ashley.  Don't get me wrong, I went OOOOHHH along with everyone in the house, because dayum, that was harsh, but also well played!  That said, it was "slut" shaming, and obviously Ashley was embarrassed.  So she came back at Mattie about her DUI.  Why was that out of bounds?  Mattie embarrassed Ashley for (as far as I know) completely legal activities with consenting adults, and Ashley embarrassed Mattie for something she did which was illegal and could have killed someone.  Mattie threw the first blow, I honestly don't see how Ashley is the bad guy here.

When I was in my 20's I used to work in a supermarket.  There was a guy in his early 40's who worked with me, he had three young kids and a wife.  Every Wednesday night a bunch of people would go out to this local dive bar and he was one of them.  The next time I would work with him he would brag about how he got drunk and drove home.  Like that was supposed to make him cool or something because he was in his 40's and he went out drinking and getting drunk with the 20 year olds.  Anyway, I was talking about it one day with another co-worker and I was saying how pathetic I thought the guy was for going on drinking and then driving.

When...

1. He had a wife and three kids.

2. He was driving while drunk and therefore could kill someone or kill himself.

3. He was twice the age of the people he was hanging out with and drinking with.

My other worker said I was a square and the guy who got drunk was a good guy.

My point is for some very strange reason people seem to be oddly protective of others who drive drunk.  I am not sure why that is the case but anytime I talk about the topic I always have people try to paint me as the asshole because I do not want to share the rode with drunks. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BK1978 said:

My point is for some very strange reason people seem to be oddly protective of others who drive drunk.  I am not sure why that is the case but anytime I talk about the topic I always have people try to paint me as the asshole because I do not want to share the rode with drunks. 

Sounds like you're the one surrounded by assholes, and you have my sympathies. As for this episode, I'm thinking that the usual gang of malcontents weren't as tired of Mattie as they were of Ashley. "Familiarity breeds contempt" and all that.

As for Dee and the Purgatory: putting aside that Ashley was the one bounced and Wes got to play the proud teacher, I have to ask when fair play has ever been a "thing" on this show. Because it hasn't. The logical thing would be to set things up where the peanut gallery couldn't help (directly or otherwise) those playing.  Look at the Tribunal; wouldn't the most logical thing would be that only the players on the winning team who went into the ice bath (Aneesa, Bear, Johnny) would go to the Tribunal? "Okay, you get to chip away on ice and not risk hypothermia, but you don't get to wield power. Maybe you're immune to the vote and that's all."

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 5
On 4/24/2020 at 4:27 AM, BK1978 said:

I like to see Nelson do good.  Though after seeing him on Dr. Phil a few months ago I question why that is the case.

Why was he on Dr. Phil??

I think Wes just evened the playing field.  Then again I think I might be the only Dee fan on this site, so I might be a tad bit biased. 

I am finding Dee to be so annoying this season and wanted her to lose, but I didn't have a problem with Wes helping her.  The peanut gallery has ALWAYS helped the Challengers competing in the elimination game by shouting answers, providing strategy, pointing out where missing pieces are, yelling that someone is about to come around a corner to take them out at full speed; this was no different.  It has never been against the rules.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:31 AM, Lola82 said:

With the handlebar mustache and the overalls, I thought he was going for a Luigi from the Mario Bros look. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Why was he on Dr. Phil??

Nelson was dating Anglea Babicz from Bad Girls Club (I think she did a season of the Challenge as well) and they were on there talking about their toxic relationship.  Nelson frequently cheated on her (Not trying to excuse him cheating on her, but she does come across as being someone who is very difficult to deal with.).  There was also audio of a drunk Nelson threatening to release sex videos of them if she would not call him back.

• Useful 3

I forgot that Jenna was even on this season.  Every time she does a talking head I am like, "Hey cool Jenna is on this season, I totally forgot."  And then moments later I forget she's on the season.

Her strategy is working!

One thing that I keep thinking about is that it seems like most people still aren’t trying to go into an elimination to get their red skull.

it seems like most people’s goal focused on the “now.” They just want to stick around for now and not so much worried about the final down the road.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

One thing that I keep thinking about is that it seems like most people still aren’t trying to go into an elimination to get their red skull.

it seems like most people’s goal focused on the “now.” They just want to stick around for now and not so much worried about the final down the road.

There must be several double eliminations ahead.

There are about 20 players left but the show's not going to run 20 more weeks so they would have to have more elimination or red skull opportunities.

They might start offering red skulls for winning a challenge.

Or maybe when they winnow down to 6 or so, they either have to have red skulls or automatically go into elimination to try to earn one.

• Love 2