Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Meetings Have Biscuits

• Start Topic

Villanelle agrees to a job which will take her back to London; Carolyn's Moscow contacts come in use when Eve and the Bitter Pill team unravel a potential lead to The Twelve; Konstantin finds himself under pressure from all sides.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

This episode was bananas, with a big B-A-N-A-N-A-S! I'm still deciding how I feel about it, but at least you can't accuse this episode of going nowhere!

First: my jaw was on the floor throughout the entire scene where Villanelle was stalking Carolyn's car. I legitimately thought they were going to kill Carolyn for a few minutes--thought this was going to be The Twelve declaring all-out war on Eve & co. and just going scorched earth. Great fake-out, show, because rationally I should have known V was going for the accountant and not Carolyn, but the tension in that scene was intense. Especially when we saw the glass shatter and hit Mo and then he came to in the camera shot through the hole in the window. Great, great scene.

Second: Eve and Villanelle's meeting was random as fuck, but of course their first kiss came in the middle of a fight. So on brand. I kind of feel like that scene was not necessary and also fan service-y (I kept waiting for it to be a dream), but I also have to confess I smirked happily all throughout it. I love that Villanelle was shook by it and that it could have been a true heartfelt impulse on Eve's part, a ploy to get the upper hand...or both. Oh and Comer just have chemistry in spades. Villanelle walked out of that encounter more satisfied than Eve, that's for sure! Eve's obsession is back full force too, as the last scene showed.

Third: This episode got Villanelle much better than the previous two. I feel like the show has been telling us a lot that Villanelle has been off and crazy even more than usual, but hasn't really been showing it. This episode definitely showed it, between the baby-napping (remember V's befuddled "I don't want your children" in S1) and Villanelle's seriously hilarious I AM SO OVER MY EX I AM GOING TO GET POWER CENTURION PERFUME AND A POWER SUIT TO FLAUNT HOW GOOD MY LIFE IS AND JUST HOW OVER HER I AM (seriously, the perfume scene was lolarious), and her stalking Eve and Konstantin both. So welcome back, more Villanelle-feeling Villanelle. They still aren't quite nailing V but this episode was a lot closer.

Villanelle's search for her family is going to be really interesting; I have a feeling she may be biting off more than she can chew. Also, Konstantin clearly knows way more than he's letting on. It's also interesting to me that V has realized just how much of a pawn she used to be, and is taking steps to no longer just be a pawn. Knowledge is power, as she said, and I think she doesn't want any nasty family-related surprises. But at the same time, she also clearly has been feeling really LONELY since Eve rejected her, and a search for family is another way of trying to fill that gap.

Fourth: So was the implication supposed to be that the accountant stole the money, or that The Twelve just killed him for allowing it to get embezzled? Either way, Konstantin is in hot water, I think. He was stunned when Villanelle said she killed the accountant dude and he has to think/know he's next. (Especially if T12 think he is the embezzler.)

Other random stuff: I loved Carolyn in the bath and in her last scene with her daughter; Eve absolutely nailed Carolyn when she said "No, I think she loves it"; Mo is not ready for shit to get real; still don't care for the Bitter Pill guys and don't really think we need them; Villanelle in the toy store was more horrified than we've ever seen her; Villanelle and Konstantin continue to be just great together. "YOU WERE UGLY AS HELL! You had a big bulbous head!!" Hee.

ETA: Oh, and it's not lost on me that Konstantin clearly told Carolyn about the accountant guy and the 6 million Euros. Her conversation with him replayed all the beats of Konstantin's conversation with the dude earlier.

Please let Nico be GONEZO. Eve and the show have both grown beyond him and both are better and more interesting without him.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around everything that happened and will likely re-watch at some point today but HOT DAMN! This felt like the return to form that I have been waiting for since, let's face it, season 1. (Note: I'm not a season 2 hater by any means - I just found The Ghost and Aaron Peel storylines to be relatively weak.) And I'm especially heartened by the fact that it was written by the Season 4 showrunner. *confetti cannon*

I think I watched most of this episode with my hands on my cheeks or clapped over my mouth. I also thought they were "going there" with Carolyn and I felt my heart skip a few beats. Given that Konstantin seemed genuinely shocked to learn that Villanelle had killed the accountant, I'm wondering what type of showdown we're headed for between him and Dasha because the various members of the organization are most definitely NOT on the same page. 

I probably shouldn't have laughed as hard as I did at the entire sequence with the baby given that Villanelle you know, kidnapped her, but I did. I definitely need to pay closer attention to the conversation that takes place after Dasha dumps the baby because I was laughing too hard to digest it. 

Glad they didn't stick to prior season protocol and wait until episode 5 for the reunion. And what a reunion it was! I actually yelled "FINALLY" at the tv. Like stealinghome I did wonder whether Eve was acting on her feelings or trying to gain the upper hand or both. But the final scene has me leaning more towards the former.

I also hope that Nico will soon be a distant memory for both Eve and the show. He's served his purpose and I have no interest in watching him mope around Poland. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I loved the ongoing saga of the baby throughout the episode, from the police sirens and finding the baby in the garbage can to the news report that the baby had been returned this the husband of the woman that Villanelle murdered in the first scene.

Eve was crushed by Nico being gone but I'm all for it. Plotwise, he served his purpose and I don't want the writers to try to shoehorn him into the story just to keep him around. I think they did a good job showing why he would want to cut ties to Eve and get the hell out of Dodge.

Villanelle at the perfumier was great. When she showed up on the bus, I kept waiting for it to be revealed that it was a dream sequence but I guess that really happened.

I totally cracked up when Eve had to tell everyone to shut up and share info and then Geraldine said that was the most parenting that had ever happened in that house.

Oh, Konstantin. Between Villanelle and the Twelve, you're in for it. When the accountant told him about the missing money, I thought Konstantin took it and was just buying himself some time while the accountant investigated. Did the Twelve have the accountant killed because they thought he stole it or because it happened on his watch? Or because he didn't report it to them right away?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How did Villanelle know that Eve was still alive?  Was that last episode, did Constantin tell her?

What was Constantin and the accountant's conversation about?

Thank you.

Yes, Konstantin told Villanelle at the end of the last episode that Eve was alive. That's why Villanelle refuses to go to London at first in this ep--she tells Dasha she's not ready yet (to be near Eve). Shades of Oksana fleeing Russia and staying away forever because of what happened with Anna.

The accountant apparently asked to see Konstantin because he realized that 6 million Euros had gone missing from the Geneva bank account and both wanted Konstantin to help him figure out who took it and was hoping Konstantin would front him some of the missing money (I think).

Oh, Konstantin. Between Villanelle and the Twelve, you're in for it. When the accountant told him about the missing money, I thought Konstantin took it and was just buying himself some time.

I also thought the accountant might have been going fishing because he suspected Konstantin took it.

oh, I forgot to mention my other favorite line from last night: Eve's exasperated "We get it, you had a lot of fun in the '80s!" to Carolyn. Hee. I love all of Carolyn's random digressions, but I also LOVE that Eve is over it and not taking it anymore. She's not falling for Carolyn's manipulations and is letting Carolyn know and I am so here for it. (See also her contemptuous flip of the Coke can into the potted plant last episode when Carolyn begins her "I grew up on a farm" spiel.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Konstantin told V. that Eve is still alive, and said something about V's family.    The family story might be real or not.     I really thought on the bus that Eve would wake up, and it would all be a dream.     I was terrified when Eve went home and found the teddy bear with the message. 

I really hope Nico is gone.    I never liked him.

Dasha dumping the baby in the garbage can, and not one person noticing at first was amazingly bizarre.      I'm glad the kid ended up with the father again.    

I really wondered if they had killed Carolyn, and the man with her too, but I'm glad they didn't.   

• Love 2

I don't totally get why they needed to give Carolyn a new house: I like the space but it doesn't seem very Carolyn, or very London.

Can someone explain why V shot through the front passenger window if the guy in the backseat (behind the driver) was the target of that kill?

Of V's kills this season we've had a spice shop owner and a classical pianist, both Spanish women of around the same age. Not sure if there is any meaning in that? I can't remember if we've always been so blind to why her targets were marked for death?

I still say we should keep a skeptical eye on Audrey! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

This show has morphed into a live-action cartoon...and I friggin' love it! Binning babies! Everyone is too engrossed in their meals to notice! It's so fun. I also love this show for V's fashion and the location shoots. The cinematography and food are mouth-watering.

Something tells me that Dasha may try to hurt Eve if Dasha believes she receives too much of Villanelle's focus. If that happens, Dasha is toast.

I'm with those who believed at first that Eve was fantasizing about V walking on the bus. I kept waiting for her to snap out of it. When V demanded that Eve smell her and asked, "What do I smell of to you?" I immediately yelled, "Crazy. You smell of batshit crazy!"

The chemistry between these two is still fire, but I'm old enough to remember what happened to Moonlighting when the two leads finally got together. I hope that doesn't happen to this show. I prefer for the cat to keep stalking the mouse. I don't particularly care who plays the cat, either. Just keep the cat stalking...and playing with her food and they'll keep my attention. I don't know how I'll feel once the cat's belly is full.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

Can someone explain why V shot through the front passenger window if the guy in the backseat (behind the driver) was the target of that kill?

I wondered this too. Much more efficient to walk up the driver's side and shoot through the rear passenger window. The only semi logical explanation I can come up with is that she wanted to freak out the front seaters that she was going to kill them.

Edited by Rickster
  • Love 2

Maybe the side glass is easier to shoot through, than the back wind screen?   And shooting from Carolyn's side hide V. from passersby.     Also, since she was disguised as an officer, so they would come to the front seat window first, so it looked like a routine traffic stop.  

Wasn't V. on the curb/sidewalk side of the car?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I probably shouldn't have laughed as hard as I did at the entire sequence with the baby given that Villanelle you know, kidnapped her, but I did. I definitely need to pay closer attention to the conversation that takes place after Dasha dumps the baby because I was laughing too hard to digest it. 

Same here! Dasha putting the baby in the trash can was the best part of the episode for me.

The second one was Villanelle describing what she wanted to smell like to the perfumer. 

3 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

I don't totally get why they needed to give Carolyn a new house: I like the space but it doesn't seem very Carolyn, or very London.

I thought she was moving to London from the suburbs? And it also seemed she was downsizing, since Kenny's stuff was in boxes.

Add me to the list of people who don't need to see Niko again. He really has served his purpose.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Maybe the side glass is easier to shoot through, than the back wind screen?   And shooting from Carolyn's side hide V. from passersby.     Also, since she was disguised as an officer, so they would come to the front seat window first, so it looked like a routine traffic stop.  

Wasn't V. on the curb/sidewalk side of the car?   

Yes, she was on the curb side, but it’s a difficult shot to hit someone in the back on the driver’s side by shooting through the front passenger side glass. The gun has to be angled and the bullet has to pass between the seats/headrests and the person in the back has to be in perfect position. Much easier to shoot him through  either rear door window. But then we lose the suspense of who she was going to kill.

• Love 2

I'm very curious as to who is draining the money from the Geneva account. At first I thought it might be Dasha (perhaps how she is now financing Villanelle) but the timing doesn't make much sense if that is the case considering V hasn't been active again for very long. It seems to me like Kenny noticed the discrepancy at least a little while ago. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Also, it’s Villanelle. Fucking with Carolyn by making her think she’s the target and showing off her own skills with a needlessly difficult shot are both very on-brand things for her to do.

That was my thought as well. V always wants to show off with her kills. 

Count me in with those who thought the bus scene was going to be a dream. 

Really V, you think there's a distinct perfume to be created that smells like power?? It reminds me of a line from Better Off Ted where they created this wonder meat. Problem was that it tasted like despair.

I was confused with the Rubik's Cube reveal. The tech guy starts giving Eve instructions on where to begin. It's a Rubik' cube. Was it a solved cube (I didn't notice). If it wasn't solved, then how do you know which of the sides is "top"? 

• Love 4

I thought the woman V killed was the woman she married in the first ep. of the season.

So if she was a target all along, why would she be in the victim's home, out in the open?

And what was that thing, a tuning fork with a shark end?

Dang they didn't show enough of that Andalusian palace.

• Useful 1

The bride and the piano woman were two different women.

Villanelle kills people The Twelve tell her to kill. Sometimes we know them and sometimes we don't. Presumably we'll find out why this season's victims are being offed at some point -- and we already know why the accountant was (millions of The Twelve's dollars went missing on his watch).

• Love 2

The scene with the baby really cracked me up. When Dasha picked her up I thought “wouldn’t it be hilarious if she put her in the trash can” but didn’t seriously think she would! The commotion in the background afterward was even funnier. And really, nobody noticed who put the baby there? I was expecting someone to pick up the baby and give her right back to Dasha, whose reaction would’ve been priceless.

I also cracked up when Konstantin got into bed and Villanelle scared the heck out of him.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I was expecting someone to pick up the baby and give her right back to Dasha, whose reaction would’ve been priceless.

Same here, and I think that would have been an equally good finish to the bit. But then what would Dasha do with the baby? That would have distracted me for the entire episode if we didn't see anything. Heh.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Cranberry said:

The bride and the piano woman were two different women.

Then why was she living with the piano woman, or hanging out in the piano woman's house with the piano woman being fine with it?

22 hours ago, eXiled said:

The chemistry between these two is still fire, but I'm old enough to remember what happened to Moonlighting when the two leads finally got together.

I'm old enough to remember what happened when Romeo and Juliet finally got together.  SPOILER ALERT, it wasn't pretty.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

She was pretending to be a piano tuner.

When she told V to treat the piano with respect because it was very valuable, my first thought was "that piano is toast."

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

When she told V to treat the piano with respect because it was very valuable, my first thought was "that piano is toast."

My reaction was - just try to sell it lady!

I've had to dispose of a grand piano.  Really hard.

And Villanelle's weapon was a piano tuning device - you use it to turn tiny screws that lengthen or shorten the strings to get to the right pitch.  Why she had to kill the nanny instead of just getting out of the house is beyond me.  I did like the little dance between threatening the baby and threatening the nanny.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Why she had to kill the nanny instead of just getting out of the house is beyond me. 

The nanny was a witness once Villanelle revealed herself. That was dumb move on V's part, I thought.

• Love 2
On 4/27/2020 at 10:10 AM, MicheleinPhilly said:

the various members of the organization are most definitely NOT on the same page. 

Or is there yet another organization left over from a couple of decades ago?

3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I did like the little dance between threatening the baby and threatening the nanny.

The way this show makes me cackle with glee at things like this definitely has me questioning my mental stability at times. But I really can't help myself. Jodie Comer's facial expressions are gold. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

The way this show makes me cackle with glee at things like this definitely has me questioning my mental stability at times. But I really can't help myself. Jodie Comer's facial expressions are gold. 

YES. It’s hard to believe she’s the same actress from The White Princess. That role really didn’t give her much opportunity to show what she can do!

• Love 1
On 4/27/2020 at 11:34 AM, eXiled said:

This show has morphed into a live-action cartoon...and I friggin' love it! Binning babies! Everyone is too engrossed in their meals to notice! It's so fun. I also love this show for V's fashion and the location shoots. The cinematography and food are mouth-watering.

Something tells me that Dasha may try to hurt Eve if Dasha believes she receives too much of Villanelle's focus. If that happens, Dasha is toast.

I'm with those who believed at first that Eve was fantasizing about V walking on the bus. I kept waiting for her to snap out of it. When V demanded that Eve smell her and asked, "What do I smell of to you?" I immediately yelled, "Crazy. You smell of batshit crazy!"

The chemistry between these two is still fire, but I'm old enough to remember what happened to Moonlighting when the two leads finally got together. I hope that doesn't happen to this show. I prefer for the cat to keep stalking the mouse. I don't particularly care who plays the cat, either. Just keep the cat stalking...and playing with her food and they'll keep my attention. I don't know how I'll feel once the cat's belly is full.

It was a great episode. I made the mistake of watching it before bedtime and had two very crazy dreams, the first of which I'm sure was related to this show.

• Love 2

No I stand alone. I don't mind Nico in doses.  Now that Kenny is gone and I don't know whatever happened to Kirby, they need someone around that reminds Eve of who she was (the parts she liked) before she started this obsession with V.   I don't understand the rooting for her to be with a serial killer or be a serial killer herself? I for one enjoyed the show more when it was about her bringing her to justice  Now it smacks of fan service on so many levels.  At this point they are going to make Bill one of the 12 in order to justify her killing one of Eve's friends....

The writers always did a poor job of giving Nico and Eve, or Nico a backstory other than having her be the dis satisfied wife who was craving excitement and her husband didn't understand...

• Love 8

Okay, I'm standing in the middle of this field all by myself, but, I was really hoping they were going to kill Carolyn.  I'm not enjoying her this season-she had always been her own unique person, but now I find her quite rude and over the top with her "uniqueness" and I don't like listening to her chewing her food in every episode (sandwich, candy, etc.).  And, for being a supposedly skilled and intelligent spy, she certainly misses alot (i.e. not even curious why Eve would be calling her when they're with the "accountant", missing the totally tacky magnet that her daughter put on their refrigerator, etc.). 

I'm also sorry that they have taken away how interested Eve was in figuring things out-she had a kind of joy about researching/detecting/figuring out in season one while now she just seems totally disinterested and lifeless.  I guess they are going to imply that it's Villanelle that gives "life" to Eve.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Oh Carolyn and her Cold War boyfriends! "We get it, you had fun in the 80s." 

I admit, I full on gasped when Villanelle seemingly shot Carolyn, I really thought for a second that they were just going scorched Earth and getting rid of the whole supporting cast, especially after Kenny got killed. But it makes way more sense for it to be the accountant that Villanelle would be targeting. Doing things as dramatically as possible is certainly a very Villanelle thing to do!

Of course Villanelle is totally confused by the nature of babies and the attachment people have to them. I mean, why would people care so much about a baby? Especially when it isnt even their baby? She looked utterly terrified at that Not Build A Bear place, and Villanelle, Dasha, and the baby were bizarrely hilarious. I feel like this is the first time that Villanelle fully feels like herself this season, albeit a version of her that is even crazier than usual and spiraling out. Her sleeping in Konstantins bed and screaming at him was classic Villanelle, especially as they fell right into their weird banter. 

So Eve and Villanelle finally meet again! I was so convinced that it was a dream sequence at first, but nope, thats just how they roll. As much as I cant imagine them actually for real getting together romantically (unless Eve went WAY darker) they do have amazing chemistry, the show always sparkles so much brighter when the two of them share the screen. 

• Love 4

This episode really crackled along. I had to watch twice. Once without subtitles and once with so I could catch all the dialogue I missed. JC is just a marvel. 

Glad Carolyn survived. She's such a specific character with her stoicism mixed with exhibitionism. Eve plays so well off her. 

• Love 4

Maybe this is a strange thing to be bothered by, but I was really taken out of the show by Villanelle's first two kills with the amazing throwing tuning forks. Unless she tipped them with poison, there is no way in heck those two would have died. They might not have even lost consciousness. If Phineas Gage can survive a pipe all the way through his skull, they could definitely walk away from a small diameter, one inch deep, hole in the head. Any viewer of this show needs to be willing to suspend a certain amount of disbelief, but I have always been able to believe that however Villanelle made her kills, it would actually end up with somebody being dead. Not even close here. They would be very unhappy, but very alive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I don't think Villanelle is confused by it at all.  It's not terribly complex.  Villanelle just doesn't give a shit.

I took it as more that Villanelle is a sociopath who has no idea why people act the way they do or why people feel such strong attachments to other people. She knows that people do value their children and loved ones, she knows that people have emotions like remorse, and she can use those things to her advantage or fake them to fit into society, but it doesent click for her, because she personally has no idea how to have a healthy relationship or have feelings like empathy or remorse. She just cant comprehend it, its not how she sees the world. Like with the nanny who was more afraid when Villanelle pulled the knife towards the baby than her, she just cant understand why someone would put more stock into another persons life, especially when its not even her baby. She thinks its interesting, and seems to want to learn more about the attachments people have to each other, especially to kids, but I dont know if she has the ability to really understand putting another person before herself or how to love in an unselfish way, or even the protective instincts that people have about children. 

Villanelle can be attached to people, but they are more like obsessions with a sort of possessiveness mixed with curiosity, like with Eve or her old teacher back in Russia, than any kind of real love. 

• Love 17
11 hours ago, MJ Frog said:

Maybe this is a strange thing to be bothered by, but I was really taken out of the show by Villanelle's first two kills with the amazing throwing tuning forks. Unless she tipped them with poison, there is no way in heck those two would have died. They might not have even lost consciousness. If Phineas Gage can survive a pipe all the way through his skull, they could definitely walk away from a small diameter, one inch deep, hole in the head. Any viewer of this show needs to be willing to suspend a certain amount of disbelief, but I have always been able to believe that however Villanelle made her kills, it would actually end up with somebody being dead. Not even close here. They would be very unhappy, but very alive.

I had the same thought. Then I decided to just roll with it. 

I did wonder if that thing would even have fully penetrated the skull to be able to stick fast like it did. Even if it did, it might cause some brain damage but probably not kill the nanny (certainly not instantly), where she was hit. For the other woman, maybe if she hit her in the back of the neck, below the skull, in just the right spot (even that seems more likely to cause paralysis, if she hit the spinal cord, than instant death, though). But if I'm remembering correctly, she was hit higher up on the head than that.

• Love 2
On 4/28/2020 at 10:07 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

What happened to Villanelle's wife?

Well if she had any sense she got the heck outta Dodge after that disastrous wedding reception. 

I don't think she was introduced as a "real character" - it was more a way for them to show that a. Villanelle had moved on and was SO OVER Eve (sarcasm font) and b. introduce Dasha. I mean even though V referred to her as Maria, IMDB has her credited as "Spanish wife." I don't think it was ever intended that she would be a major or recurring character.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I expected to see a bunch of concern here that V might have hurt the baby, because I think the show wanted us to worry that she (or D) might do something ... but at least it seems like I don’t need to feel bad for being amused by the baby in the waste bin. Or at least, I’m not alone. 🙂

That said ... is it supposed to make V seem *less bad* that she didn’t do any harm to the kid? I’m always wary of the show trying to make me believe she can be cured of being a sociopath/psychopath. 

Re: V’s parentage. Everything about that scene with Konstantin, from them being in bed together to him saying he’d seen her baby pictures, reminded of the season one line, almost a throwaway, when V asks (Eve I think): “don’t you think it’s weird he and I have never had sex?”.

I also don’t think it’s an accident that Konstantin’s daughter Irina is a brilliant, spoiled, multilingual brat. 

But maybe this is all too obvious and this show will throw us a curve. 

• Love 3

The baby couldn't identify Villanelle, so there was no reason to kill it. As psychopathic as Villanelle is, she's very pragmatic about her kills. Either it's because she's being paid to do it or there's a strategic reason for it. She doesn't kill random people just because she can.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The baby couldn't identify Villanelle, so there was no reason to kill it. As psychopathic as Villanelle is, she's very pragmatic about her kills. Either it's because she's being paid to do it or there's a strategic reason for it. She doesn't kill random people just because she can.

THIS. I think harming the baby would have been a bridge too far. I view Villanelle's kills (with the exception of Bill) in the same way that I viewed Dexter's - they're inherently terrible people, at least those we've been given any information on, so really in a way she's doing a public service*.

*insert obligatory disclaimer about not condoning murder or admiring actual psychopaths IRL*

• LOL 1