Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E21: Dancing At Los Angeles

32 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I have been using video conferencing software for work for ages, and it is definitely possible for two people to have a private text chat during a call, and it is possible for a moderating to mute everyone and only let one person at a time talk. They were not using the technology as well as they could have been, but I can get that it would have been new to them. Plus, it was more entertaining/dramatic.

I would think if anyone was really doing online trials they would mute everyone and the lawyers would have an option to buzz in visually when they want to object. 

In addition to it being "more entertaining/dramatic," having worked with academic technology for 20 years (with new students, faculty, and staff constantly arriving unfamiliar with the technology), it seemed realistic to me that the people using technology in a way they had not previously used it did not use it effectively.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I have been using video conferencing software for work for ages, and it is definitely possible for two people to have a private text chat during a call

An FYI about "private" text chats, even though they're supposed to be private (Zoom says they aren't sent to the host) the host getting private chats has been happening. So she'd probably want to have a separate device for a truly private chat.

Things you learn reading advice columns.

• Love 1

I get that they are new to the tech, and also that they wanted a messy situation for dramatic effect.

But seriously: if you want to conduct a trial using distance technology, you hire an expert to train the participants and to run the tech so that it works and people get fair trials and it's not a total mess.

I forgive the show, but it was a rather terrible showcase, where a man's constitutional rights were pretty much laughed about so that the show could make Lola's empathetic pleas work magic on the plaintiff.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:41 PM, driver18 said:

This particular storyline I didn't have an issue with in particular, it's just the character of Sara I don't like.

I haven't liked her from the first episode on. It's a combination of the character and the actress that rubs me the wrong way. The character I find nosy and unprofessional and she comes off as rude and annoying to me. And I've tried to like her because I love every other character, but she just irks me so much.  And, unfortunately, the actress' style seems to exacerbate the qualities in the character that I don't like.

A perfect example of why Sara annoys me was the end scene. She forced her way into Luke and Emily's date night, just jumped right over what Emily was saying. That was a special, lovely set-up for them and she just didn't care, just ran roughshod right over it. Sure, the end result was lovely and warm and fabulous, but how Sara interrupted them and ignored Emily is so typical of the character. Ugh! I can't stand her at all. 

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really want to like Sara but she rubs me the wrong way. There have been several times where Sara can't "read the room" and will force herself into a conversation or situation. I didn't see her interuption into Emily and Luke's date as something quarantine-loneliness-related. That's just her character. She's very cartoonish and abrasive to me. Again, really trying to warm up to her but I can't. 

I love this episode so much and I love this show. I didn't start watching until the last couple of weeks, but I am so glad that I did. My favorite relationship is Lola/Mark. Their friendship is perfection.

• Love 1

My most related scene was when the judge said 'baking makes me swear like a sailor' because she 'forgot to take the phyllo out of the freezer'

• Love 1
On 5/13/2020 at 4:25 PM, hookedontv said:

This particular storyline I didn't have an issue with in particular, it's just the character of Sara I don't like.

I feel bad for the actress.  The situation reminds me of Abby's replacement on NCIS. When she's not written to be some manic peppy whatever, and can play it straight, she's a decent actress.  The character of Sara is horribly written.  I could feel for her doing Instacart to pay the rent.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, jabRI said:

I feel bad for the actress.  The situation reminds me of Abby's replacement on NCIS. When she's not written to be some manic peppy whatever, and can play it straight, she's a decent actress.  The character of Sara is horribly written.  I could feel for her doing Instacart to pay the rent.

Oh that's a good reference-Kasey from NCIS. The characters of Kasy and Sara are written very similarly. They are what I call "cartoonish." I feel it's unnecessary and sort of cheapens the show.