Type keyword(s) to search

Meet You On The Other Side: TV After The Pandemic

• Start Topic

Another note on Tyler Perry: the article mentions that they would use a smaller-than-normal crew for filming, so that could possibly allow for those who aren't comfortable going back to work to stay home longer. If it's more of a "we have this many slots to fill, who would be interested?", that might lower the pressure on crew members to come back if they don't want to. It might also allow him to rotate crew members for the filming of different shows, depending on how many wanted to work vs. how many he needed on a given show, so the crew wouldn't have to stay on site for consecutive productions at a time.

The biggest question for me is whether testing/supplies/capacity are at a point where multiple tests could be administered to everyone on site for the production. Even if that's definitely the sort of thing that would be required/responsible to do in that situation, 1) is it actually doable, and 2) if so, would it only be doable because of the privilege he has as Tyler Perry to get access to testing that other people wouldn't?

• Love 7

Has anyone heard anything about the All Rise episode next week that is to be done virtually? I don’t really watch the show ( I’ve seen a few minutes of the beginning of the episodes because I watch Bob Hearts Abisola before it) so I’m not sure if it would be a big departure for them. I’ve only seen a couple of advertisements for it tonight on CBS. Looks like a zoom meeting.

17 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Has anyone heard anything about the All Rise episode next week that is to be done virtually? I don’t really watch the show ( I’ve seen a few minutes of the beginning of the episodes because I watch Bob Hearts Abisola before it) so I’m not sure if it would be a big departure for them. I’ve only seen a couple of advertisements for it tonight on CBS. Looks like a zoom meeting.

They were one of the shows that had production stopped because of the coronavirus.  They hadn't finished their season.  The show runners came up with this idea to do a zoom episode reflecting the realities of the courtroom during this time where cases are being heard virtually.

It'll be zoom/other technology but I also think they were thinking of having some outside shots where a one person crew would show up and shoot from a distance.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I wonder if well produced Zoom table reads might help plug the gap if TV fall production schedules can't resume on time

I know there's a huge difference between shooting a real episode on the Grey's Anatomy or Station 19 sets versus a zoom table read. But with sounds effects and good video quality and even some establishing shots they have on hand it could work. Better than nothing anyway.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/1/2020 at 7:53 PM, anna0852 said:

I wonder if well produced Zoom table reads might help plug the gap if TV fall production schedules can't resume on time

I know there's a huge difference between shooting a real episode on the Grey's Anatomy or Station 19 sets versus a zoom table read. But with sounds effects and good video quality and even some establishing shots they have on hand it could work. Better than nothing anyway.

About 3 weeks ago, the cast of The Nanny, I think except for 1 person (they said), got together (virtually, of course) & did a table read of the Pilot episode. I don’t know what software they used to broadcast it, but it’s at the link if anyone wants to watch it to see what a virtual table read might look like. It runs between 30 & 35 minutes.

They also aired a reunion ep of Parks and Rec last night which was done in the same way (but as an actual filmed ep—I think on iPhone cameras—not as a table read). And the live eps of American Idol are also being aired using non-professional equipment.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
  • Love 4

Interesting article from the New York Times about a proposal by MGM Resorts in Las Vegas to host entire sports leagues -- teams and their families -- for entire seasons. I'm not sure how well it would work. I also have concerns about the fairness of allocating testing resources and space for elite and highly-paid athletes when so many people have much greater need. That said, it's an interesting approach to the question of post-pandemic entertainment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/sports/when-sports-come-back-nba-nfl.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

An interesting article from USA Today about how concerts might look after the pandemic ends. OK, it’s not actually about post-pandemic TV, per se; but it is about how the post-pandemic world might look, & because it speculates about how post-pandemic concerts might happen, in my opinion it could be stretched to describe how future live concert specials by big name artists, aired on commercial or cable TV, or streaming platforms, such as Netflix, might look.

• Love 3

I was thinking today that if they can't get new shows together before the end of the year, then maybe network stations could buy the rights to the popular classic tv shows that were hits in their time. Maybe shows up through the early 90s that aren't available on streaming.  

I have no idea how it works, but if a show was on NBC, for example,  would NBC still have the rights to it? If not, I mentioned to my husband that maybe it would be too expensive and he responded that it's not like they are spending a lot of money right now anyway.

We had a good time over the years introducing our kids to some of our favorite shows from when we were young, maybe others would, too. Or maybe they'd just like to see them again.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I was thinking today that if they can't get new shows together before the end of the year, then maybe network stations could buy the rights to the popular classic tv shows that were hits in their time. Maybe shows up through the early 90s that aren't available on streaming.  

I have no idea how it works, but if a show was on NBC, for example,  would NBC still have the rights to it? If not, I mentioned to my husband that maybe it would be too expensive and he responded that it's not like they are spending a lot of money right now anyway.

We had a good time over the years introducing our kids to some of our favorite shows from when we were young, maybe others would, too. Or maybe they'd just like to see them again.

My understanding is that television rights ownership is extraordinarily convoluted (I have a smidgen of experience on the book publishing end of permissions, and even with that background when I read about who owns what for TV shows, my head hurts), and that oftentimes channels do not necessarily own the shows that aired on them. Factor in the music rights issue for some shows, and I think it could legitimately be cost-prohibitive for them to try to purchase the rights. 

That being said, I think if it's stuff they do own, it's worth giving it a try. I watch a lot of MeTV myself and don't think I'm the only one who enjoys reruns of old favorites. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Zella said:

My understanding is that television rights ownership is extraordinarily convoluted (I have a smidgen of experience on the book publishing end of permissions, and even with that background when I read about who owns what for TV shows, my head hurts), and that oftentimes channels do not necessarily own the shows that aired on them. Factor in the music rights issue for some shows, and I think it could legitimately be cost-prohibitive for them to try to purchase the rights. 

That being said, I think if it's stuff they do own, it's worth giving it a try. I watch a lot of MeTV myself and don't think I'm the only one who enjoys reruns of old favorites. 

Could be cost prohibitive.   That's why you don't see a lot of stuff that you would think would be rerun.    On the other hand, for the rights holders, if it is not being shown and they aren't making new stuff, what is it really worth to them?   I'm  not saying the networks should lowball (although heaven knows they will try) but maybe a more reasonable deal could be worked out than normally would be.    It might be worth at least exploring.   If its too expensive, it's too expensive, but it's something that should be considered.

• Love 6
(edited)

This from a month ago but I don’t think it’s been posted here. 
If I Wrote a Coronavirus Episode Tina Fey, Mike Schur, and 35 more TV writers on what their characters would do in a pandemic

20 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I suspect that the classic show market is already tapped out with streaming and syndication. If it’s not available it’s probably because it’s been deemed not popular enough or the rights are too complicated. 

My guess is that the networks are going to look at acquiring foreign shows that have never aired in the US and putting their cable and streaming shows on as “new” programming. It’s not ideal but with tv ratings up and nothing in production it’s a good time to cross-promote.

Edited by Guest
6 minutes ago, Dani said:

This from a month ago but I don’t think it’s been posted here. 
If I Wrote a Coronavirus Episode Tina Fey, Mike Schur, and 35 more TV writers on what their characters would do in a pandemic

I suspect that the classic show market is already tapped out with streaming. If it’s not available it’s probably because it’s been deemed not popular enough or the rights are too complicated. 

My guess is that the networks are going to look at acquiring foreign shows that have never aired in the US and putting their cable and streaming shows on as “new” programming. It’s not ideal but with tv ratings up and nothing in production it’s a good time to cross-promote.

I would be really happy with more foreign TV! I like watching it but have a hard time tracking some of it down, especially Continental European stuff. 

• Love 6

Have you tried MHZ? It's a channel you can subscribe to through Amazon Prime. French, Spanish, Italian, German series. I've been watching Murder in... and another French show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, ABay said:

Have you tried MHZ? It's a channel you can subscribe to through Amazon Prime. French, Spanish, Italian, German series. I've been watching Murder in... and another French show.

Need to give it another try, but I've not had good luck finding the stuff I want to watch there. When I went through a Danish binge, the shows I wanted to see weren't on there. And earlier this week, I was looking for an episode of an old Austrian TV show just because I wanted to see some 90s evil Christoph Waltz (as one does), but the season I needed wasn't there. I finally found the episode on YouTube.

Edited by Zella

I've had some, but not a lot, of success using the Roku search for titles. Sometimes Justwatch is OK but I find their interface confusing and unwieldy.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Zella said:

Need to give it another try, but I've not had good luck finding the stuff I want to watch there. When I went through a Danish binge, the shows I wanted to see weren't on there. And earlier this week, I was looking for an episode of an old Austrian TV show just because I wanted to see some 90s evil Christoph Waltz (as one does), but the season I needed wasn't there. I finally found the episode on YouTube.

In addition to the other search options mentioned, there are a lot of streaming services that have agreements with Amazon where you can subscribe to those services via Amazon. So if I search within Prime video and one of their partner services carries the foreign show, it'll advertise the service to subscribe to in order to watch the video.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

In addition to the other search options mentioned, there are a lot of streaming services that have agreements with Amazon where you can subscribe to those services via Amazon. So if I search within Prime video and one of their partner services carries the foreign show, it'll advertise the service to subscribe to in order to watch the video.

Thanks! I actually have several Amazon channel subscriptions. I've searched high and low for the stuff I'm looking for on Amazon and elsewhere, and it's just not available, at least legally, in the States. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1

I don't watch the show, but the virtually produced episode of All Rise aired last night on CBS. I'm sure there are more articles, etc. about it, but there's some BTS info on their Twitter account:

I definitely don't think this will become the norm, especially for scripted TV.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I don't watch the show, but the virtually produced episode of All Rise aired last night on CBS. I'm sure there are more articles, etc. about it, but there's some BTS info on their Twitter account:

I definitely don't think this will become the norm, especially for scripted TV.

I don't see it becoming the norm either.  People will tune in for a special like last weeks Parks and Rec or maybe an episode, but longterm, nah.  Scaling back production takes away the illusion and just ends up looking like a tik tok video.  No one wants that long term.  I don't want to see actors and actresses in their own clothes with bad hair and makeup on my tv filming on their phones.  Viewers are going to drop off and start either watching reruns on cable or switch on over to Netflix/Hulu/Prime to rewatch their favorites.  

I do think CBS should bring over their All Access shows to the regular network.  That way they have already produced new content they can sell to advertisers and I do think people will tune in.  Same goes for ABC and the Disney content like The Mandelorian.  NBC could try to reach into their vault and bring back something not available for streaming at the moment like Homicide Life on the Street.  I was too young for that one when it first aired and would watch.  

• Love 11
(edited)

Again, another show I don't watch, but The Blacklist is using animation to fill in scenes they weren't able to film for an episode:

· The season's 19th episode, titled "The Kazanjian Brothers," was midway into filming in New York when TV productions across the industry were halted due to COVID-19. Looking to do something out of the box to finish the episode and close out the season, producers came up with an idea to add graphic novel-style animation that would incorporate with the already filmed live-action scenes.

· Cast members recorded dialogue from their homes for the animated scenes to ensure a seamless transition between the two styles as editors and animators complete their work remotely.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2020/05/05/nbcs-acclaimed-drama-the-blacklist-to-end-seventh-season-in-style-with-a-unique-hybrid-of-live-action-and-graphic-novel-style-animation-213112/20200505nbc04/

I guess these are more 'during the pandemic' than 'after'.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 8
(edited)

The episode of All Rise worked because it was specifically about the backlog of court cases caused by the pandemic and it made sense why everyone wasn't in the same house (unlike family shows)). I don't think you can necessarily do multiple episodes like that, though.

But shows about cops, medical personnel and other first responders wouldn't make sense to pull off since they're still at work.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The episode of All Rise worked because it was specifically about the backlog of court cases caused by the pandemic and it made sense why everyone wasn't in the same house (unlike family shows)). I don't think you can necessarily do multiple episodes like that, though.

But shows about cops, medical personnel and other first responders wouldn't make sense to pull off since they're still at work.

Most shows won’t work like that in the long run because we as humans need to interact with the world around us. If some of us can’t for quite a while (I’m high risk) then the last thing we need from TV (which distracts us from our real life) is a reminder of our real life.

Oh, and of course, if we can’t go out and do anything we won’t have an economy - and then no one could afford streaming or cable TV.

• Love 5

Looks like the next step for the networks to fill airtime is going to be opening up their movie catalogue. Wonderful World of Disney and CBS Sunday Movie are both being revived. 

In other news, Some Studios Begin To Pay Casts Of Pilots That Were Suspended Due To COVID-19 Shutdown

New Zealand and the Czech Republic are allowing filming to resume. 

Some film and TV shoots “are already safely underway,” the New Zealand Film Commission has confirmed to us. This potentially paves the way for the country’s highest-profile productions, James Cameron’s Avatar sequels and Amazon’s The Lord Of The Rings series, to get back underway.

A press release from the Czech Film Commission, which includes quotes from the country’s Culture Minister and U.S. Ambassador, claims that international productions that were forced to interrupt their shoots will be allowed to return to the Czech Republic from mid-May.

These include season two of LegendaryEntertainment/Amazon’s Carnival Row with Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevigne, the first season of Amazon’s fantasy series Wheel of Time starring Rosamunde Pike, Marvel Studios’ The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, and the Netflix film 473 Transatlantic.

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

CBS Sunday Movie [is] being revived. 

When I first saw the commercial for this, I got a little excited; they were hit and miss, and increasingly miss, but some of those original TV movies were really good and things I'd like to see again.  Then the commercial continued and I realized CBS was just going to be airing theatrical movies, not any of its old TV movies, on Sunday nights. 

And that can be nice, certainly, but I don't like any of the first five films they've chosen.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

When I first saw the commercial for this, I got a little excited; they were hit and miss, and increasingly miss, but some of those original TV movies were really good and things I'd like to see again.  Then the commercial continued and I realized CBS was just going to be airing theatrical movies, not any of its old TV movies, on Sunday nights. 

And that can be nice, certainly, but I don't like any of the first five films they've chosen.

I wouldn't mind a return to the old TV movies either. I liked quite a few of them! I was also a little disappointed in the theatrical movies they picked. I actually don't mind most of them as movies, but they're already stuff I've seen and I think they're not too hard to track down for people who don't already own them. Maybe something a little more obscure would be a bigger draw since it would be something new. But then again, maybe most people would prefer the movie equivalent of comfort food right now? I don't really want to watch a movie about a bunch of people dying (Titanic) in the middle of a pandemic, though. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I’d much rather see their original movies but I wonder if they even have the rights to most of those. In the past I’ve seen that type of movie mostly air on Lifetime and Hallmark. 

(edited)
18 hours ago, Zella said:

I wouldn't mind a return to the old TV movies either. I liked quite a few of them! I was also a little disappointed in the theatrical movies they picked. I actually don't mind most of them as movies, but they're already stuff I've seen and I think they're not too hard to track down for people who don't already own them. Maybe something a little more obscure would be a bigger draw since it would be something new. But then again, maybe most people would prefer the movie equivalent of comfort food right now? I don't really want to watch a movie about a bunch of people dying (Titanic) in the middle of a pandemic, though. 

I feel like they could mix it up, too.  Like, instead of/in addition to doing a Sunday night movie, they could do do themed events, too.  Like four or six random sitcom episodes where people go to the beach, or a set of crossover episodes or something.  Like, NBC could air the Thursday night shows from the time there was supposed to be a power outage in New York, or I seem to recall a situation where there was a hurricane on The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, and Nurses.  I'd be willing to watch something like that.  Of course, it's assuming they have the rights.

I'd watch the shit out of the Hallmark Hall of Fame movies from my youth.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 6
On 5/4/2020 at 2:07 PM, Dani said:

I suspect that the classic show market is already tapped out with streaming and syndication. If it’s not available it’s probably because it’s been deemed not popular enough or the rights are too complicated. 

#1: I'm sure that's the case.  For example, Shout Factory's streaming service is going to have The Carol Burnett Show on demand starting on Monday June 1st, following behind a marathon over the preceding weekend.   If CBS could be airing or streaming it, they would be.

#2: Part of that would depend on what countries they can source from.  I know there's a lot of good Korean dramas and reality shows that would likely do well if aired in the US.  But they'd either need to be subtitled (which would require the audience to then read) or be dubbed (which would require paying voice actors). 

And even if the networks restrict themselves to English-speaking countries, the same issues could come up.  There's a lot of British and Australian accents that the average American would struggle with understanding.

On 5/5/2020 at 2:12 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do think CBS should bring over their All Access shows to the regular network.  That way they have already produced new content they can sell to advertisers and I do think people will tune in.  Same goes for ABC and the Disney content like The Mandelorian.

I'm sure there's been talk about this at both networks.  The main issue is, of course, one of money.  Would the money "lost" from taking away exclusives, and thus a non-zero number of subscribers, from the streaming service be outweighed by the ad revenue "gained" by putting those shows on the air for the general public, who is not guaranteed to watch?  That question is probably why we haven't heard anything about the networks toying with the idea right now.  But as time goes on without new programming being made....

That said, CBS could try an experiment by releasing the first half of the first season of Star Trek: Discovery.  While the Star Trek shows are probably the cornerstone of All Access, that half season is probably old enough that they could put it on air and not lose out on much.

• Love 2

The only reason that I was thinking about bringing some shows to network stations was because not everyone gets the cable/DISH/streaming stations that some of the shows in syndication are on.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

The only reason that I was thinking about bringing some shows to network stations was because not everyone gets the cable/DISH/streaming stations that some of the shows in syndication are on.

Yeah I am one of those folks--only have access to local channels and online streaming.

Unfortunately, that's all the more incentive and reason for those shows not to end up on network TV. Partially because it is an incentive for people to sign up for those other channels and partially because that means there is some sort of distribution deal in place. I know even just distribution rights for streaming can get convoluted, and I doubt those cable channels or other platforms want to forfeit their exclusive rights they paid good money for. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, SVNBob said:

2: Part of that would depend on what countries they can source from.  I know there's a lot of good Korean dramas and reality shows that would likely do well if aired in the US.  But they'd either need to be subtitled (which would require the audience to then read) or be dubbed (which would require paying voice actors). 

And even if the networks restrict themselves to English-speaking countries, the same issues could come up.  There's a lot of British and Australian accents that the average American would struggle with understanding.

Canadian shows are probably that ones that are most likely.

I wonder how game shows will be affected. On a show like Jeopardy, you could film with no audience and space the three contestants six feet apart. Of course, that will require some new camera angles - but it might work. 

On the other hand, shows like Let's Make a Deal and The Price is Right are audience-participation driven. They get their contestants directly from the audience. I'm not sure how they would work around that.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Dani said:

Canadian shows are probably that ones that are most likely.

Then there might be a need for subtitles or dubbing for French.  😉

Still, given that many American productions are based in Canada, and there's a history of importing Canadian programming to air in the states (Degrassi, The Listener, Da Vinci's Inquest, Flashpoint, etc.), you're probably right.

• Love 4

Pandemic rom-com coming soon:

The Fosters and Good Trouble co-creator Joanna Johnson has teamed up with Anonymous Content to produce limited scripted series Love in the Time of Corona for Freeform.

The four-part romantic comedy takes a look at the search for love, sex and connection during this time of social distancing.

The series will follow several interwoven stories with an ensemble of characters who are sheltering in their homes, some of whom are wondering if a hook-up with a roommate can ever be casual, while another is kicking herself for deciding to isolate with an ex.

Love in the Time of Corona will be filmed using remote technologies while using homes of the talent as the backdrop to the stories.

• Useful 2
(edited)
On 5/9/2020 at 9:30 AM, Shannon L. said:

But there is already so much of this  retro stuff being shown through the various digital subchannels that anyone with a television and a digital antenna can pick up for free. And it's not just the commercial network stuff.   PBS for example has about 5 of these retro channels that show older PBS how-to, children's, and arts programming.

Of course if you don't have a TV anymore and just watch everything through the computer I guess that won't help you.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/3/2020 at 10:17 PM, Zella said:

My understanding is that television rights ownership is extraordinarily convoluted

The fact that somehow CBS now owns the rights to one of the most iconically NBC shows, Star Trek, being a good example.

I wonder if they will make some of the earlier seasons of the streaming shows available on network in the short run, as ohiopirate suggested.  CBS did run the first season of The Good Fight last year, for example, I'd imagine to tempt people into subscribing so they could see how the story turned out.  Isn't it still true that the Star Treks are only limited to CBS Access in the USA and available on broadcast TV elsewhere?

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
(edited)
21 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Isn't it still true that the Star Treks are only limited to CBS Access in the USA and available on broadcast TV elsewhere?

I think they're available on Netflix outside of the US.  I know every other Trek series that is not Discovery or Picard is still on Netflix US (because I literally just checked.)

And I think that's somewhat a common thing with Netflix.  They'll often get the international streaming rights for shows, but block access in countries where those shows air on network-owned proprietary streaming services.  In a way, it's akin to region-locking DVDs and DVD players.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

I think they're available on Netflix outside of the US.  I know every other Trek series that is not Discovery or Picard is still on Netflix US (because I literally just checked.)

They're also showing on digital broadcast subchannel Heroes and Icons five nights a week.  I don't subscribe to any of the streaming services, not really tempted even.  The only one that does tempt me is FITE TV, because I I love professional wrestling and they carry some programs I'd like to see.  But I don't care about any of the "legit" fighting sports really so I keep not bothering with it.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
(edited)
12 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

The fact that somehow CBS now owns the rights to one of the most iconically NBC shows, Star Trek, being a good example.

A perfect example of why I stated in another forum first always, always, look into who owns what - and I do mean the entire corporate history -for therein lies most of the answers.  How Star Trek ended up being owned by CBS is due to a long, complicated, history of corporate mergers.  For those who want to know, click the link below.   It's a great lesson in understanding simply because a show first aired on X network doesn't mean X network still or ever owned said show and why they can't willy-nilly re-air it in the future. 👇

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek_corporate_history

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Fox Sets Corona-Proof Fall 2020 Schedule With ‘L.A.’s Finest’, ‘Filthy Rich’ &‘NeXt’, Reality, Sports & Animation; No Returning Live-Action Series

The returning live action shows are scheduled for midseason. 

14 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Which is exactly why the networks are now favoring shows that they produce. That change is also why networks can now look beyond just ratings when deciding what to air now that can make money off steaming and syndication. In the past they usually only had the rights to the original run.

Originally NBC aired Star Trek because of their relationship Desilu Productions. Lucille Ball owned Star Trek until she sold her production company to Paramount. NBC also doesn’t own most of their Must See Tv lineup despite being so heavily associated with them. 

Edited by Guest

The CW is using it corporate parents' connections to get streaming series Swamp Thing from DC Universe and Tell Me A Story from CBS All Access on their broadcast network. They're also importing Coroner from Canada and Dead Pixels from the UK.

I would love it. I want them to change the costumes and positions periodically. I want to make up a story about every table of mannequins. I want mannequin women leaning in with jade cigarette holders. Mannequin men checking their pocket watches. I want at least one mannequin woman dangling a shoe from the tip of her toe. I love every bit of this idea.

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
25 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I would love it. I want them to change the costumes and positions periodically. I want to make up a story about every table of mannequins. I want mannequin women leaning in with jade cigarette holders. Mannequin men checking their pocket watches. I want at least one mannequin woman dangling a shoe from the tip of her toe. I love every bit of this idea.

With small tape recorders or speakers at each table, playing the alleged conversations between the "diners" (It would be awesome if they were taken from classic movie or tv show scenes!)

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

With small tape recorders or speakers at each table, playing the alleged conversations between the "diners" (It would be awesome if they were taken from classic movie or tv show scenes!)

I think you would have to.  How many people living in 2020 can do a convincing 1940s voice.  

• Love 3