Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Don't Look Back in Anger

• Start Topic

PAST AND PRESENT - An urgent problem leads Mel (Melonie Diaz) and Maggie (Sarah Jeffery) to seek help from their father, while Macy (Madeleine Mantock) discovers a shocking secret about her past. Also starring Rupert Evans and Jordan Donica. Rupert Evans directed the episode written by Joey Falco & Zoe Marshall (#218). Original airdate 4/17/2020.

Well i see they switched the dads... Finally after damn near 40 episodes some info on the dad dexter.. Barely... Nice to see marisol again... Maggie's scene was great... But shouldn't she and Macy have had a talk about dexter?  Also seeing Harry MIB macy almost 10 or 11 years ago kinda sours me more on them coupling than I already was.. Which was a good amount.. One  because he's so much older.. Two he's supposed to be there to protect and help all 3 of them and him in all in lurrve with one upsets the balance 3...  What happens when it breaks down 4..  It kinda proves that Galvin was always the pit stop which would be the CW yet again having a Main character start up with a Black guy as a possible LI and then dump him for the handsome white fella... They've done it all over their shows and its even more pointed when the MC is a WOC doing the bare minimum with the MOC before getting to the white guy... And I know Macy/Galvin didn't set the world on fire but I was seeing hints of Harry/Macy in season one so it was probably always coming so why should Galvin really bring it... I hope we get to see choochi next season... Also hope we get Macy her Demon powers back... And more than anything I hope we explore magic that isn't recited in Latin or olde English rhyme.. Season one at least touched on other cultures.. Season two almost feels like a retreat... Like some if " those" folks out there didn't like all that new witch stuff and wanted it to go back to Salem era.. Real shame

• Love 1

I thought this was one of their stronger episodes, just like last week. Naturally, just as the show is finally getting good, we have only one episode left in this season, heh. 

It was interesting seeing Macy when she was younger and her relationship with her father. Was the actor the same one who played Gunn in 'Angel?' He looked familiar, and if so, it threw me off to see him playing a dad to a college student. Gah, time does fly.

I like Jordan being part of the gang. He's a useful guy to have around. 

And whelp, now what's his face knows about Macy and her siblings. 

ETA: Apparently Rupert Evans directed this episode. He did a good job. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Was the actor the same one who played Gunn in 'Angel?' He looked familiar, and if so, it threw me off to see him

Naw ur thinking of J. August Richards... This dude is Leonard Roberts he played the Dad of the mixed kid micah on heroes Ali larger was his wife... They're both bald and do somewhat favor one another a lil bit anyway if they're both styled the same .. Not even in a sarcastic " we all look alike " way... But Richards has a slimmer face and like Hazel or Green eyes plus he grows his hair every once in a while 

• Useful 1
55 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Naw ur thinking of J. August Richards... This dude is Leonard Roberts he played the Dad of the mixed kid micah on heroes Ali larger was his wife... 

He also playd Forrest (Riley BFF) in Buffy season 4.

• Useful 2

Also seeing Harry MIB macy almost 10 or 11 years ago kinda sours me more on them coupling than I already was

I don't understand why Macy was feeling so warm and fuzzy after finding this out, either. If it were me I'd be furious. 

Also, apparently all Harry did was wipe her memory of throwing fire at that guy in the bar. So what? What happens the next time she accidentally throws fire? Is he just going to keep showing up and wiping her memory every time she does it? Seemed like a band-aid solution to the problem here. They should have told her she was a witch and let her learn to control it.

So I guess Jordan knows their invisible house is on top of Safe Space Seattle, huh? And I guess the invisibility doesn't prevent anyone from going there and getting into the house. Which . . . is stupid. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

So I guess Jordan knows their invisible house is on top of Safe Space Seattle, huh? And I guess the invisibility doesn't prevent anyone from going there and getting into the house. Which . . . is stupid. 

Naw the house was on an abandoned lot... 

Naw the house was on an abandoned lot... 

It is? I thought it was on a roof somewhere. If it's at ground level wouldn't that make it much more likely for random people to stumble into it? And when Jordan managed to get there from Safe Space pretty quickly so I assume it has to be fairly close by.

28 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't understand why Macy was feeling so warm and fuzzy after finding this out, either. If it were me I'd be furious. 

Well they gave Maggie the throwaway line that Marisol made harry forget as well... Tho we have no real way to verify that... Either way he's like 70 years older than her ( kinda weird when he reverted that being held by 3 women... 2 blackish and 1 latina no less that he didn't seem to have much of a response)  and probably has known her since she was even younger.. Its just icky and her handwaving it... I just rather they pair the sisters up with other ppl and leave the whitelighter alone... Tho maybe it wouldn't have been as huge an issue if said whitelighter wasn't also another white dude... So Macy is actually ping-ponging tween Julian and him... 

4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It is? I thought it was on a roof somewhere. If it's at ground level wouldn't that make it much more likely for random people to stumble into it? And when Jordan managed to get there from Safe Space pretty quickly so I assume it has to be fairly close by.

I think it's close but the space was gated off.. Like  a spot for development.. I mean real world somebody is stumbling on it for sure

• Love 1

It was ok, I just wish they'd come up with some other way to flash back to Macys "origin" story. How many times do the Charmed Ones have to be knocked out and put into some dream land that is close to killing them? And Marisol could touch Macy but they cant look each other in the eyes so lets stand behind a curtain...it was just visually funny.

And I see it is time that we introduce our 100th new power for a sister in just the right moment. But Maggie girl! I agree with you sooooooooooooooooooooo much! I'm tired of the secrets! New one revealed every week, never ending. 

It is interesting though that Charmed is beating Roswell in the ratings despite being on Fridays.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

And I see it is time that we introduce our 100th new power for a sister in just the right moment. But Maggie girl! I agree with you sooooooooooooooooooooo much! I'm tired of the secrets! New one revealed every week, never ending

They do tend to debut new powers anime style.. Big moments of emotion... That said... That power was cool.. Wouldn't also mind an episode of just them working on new powers and perfecting them.. Maybe newer less cgi-dependent powers will be cheaper to produce

And I see it is time that we introduce our 100th new power for a sister in just the right moment. 

The way this show plays fast and loose with the powers bugs me too. Harry starts to leave the attic, and in unison all three sisters chant some incantation in what sounds like Latin which produces a force field. Now . . . when in the hell did all three of them learn to do that? The have only known they were witches for like a year now but it's like they've been magically imbued with all the knowledge they'll ever need and can just rattle off spells in Latin and other foreign language off the top of their heads. I must have missed the episode where they all went to Hogwarts.

• LOL 2
22 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

They do tend to debut new powers anime style.. Big moments of emotion... That said... That power was cool.. Wouldn't also mind an episode of just them working on new powers and perfecting them.. Maybe newer less cgi-dependent powers will be cheaper to produce

It's a good extension of her Empath power, just would've appreciated it more if they hadnt already gone through what feels like so many new powers. Especially since a new one debuts and then they just go on with their lives as if it never happened.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The way this show plays fast and loose with the powers bugs me too. Harry starts to leave the attic, and in unison all three sisters chant some incantation in what sounds like Latin which produces a force field. Now . . . when in the hell did all three of them learn to do that? The have only known they were witches for like a year now but it's like they've been magically imbued with all the knowledge they'll ever need and can just rattle off spells in Latin and other foreign language off the top of their heads. I must have missed the episode where they all went to Hogwarts.

Agreed but that's been the motto of the reboot since the beginning. Play fast and loose with magic. Make things as easy for them as possible. 

A bit of a stronger episode, and it was fun seeing earlier Macy getting her karaoke on (although maybe they shouldn't have had her singing a song famous for its swear words on a network show?) and even getting to see her parents, but this also adds even more questions. Like, how did they think this was going to work long term? Wiping her memory is a quick fix, but what happens next time she gets a bit pissed off and sets someone on fire? 

So what exactly is Julian's big plan anyway? We can guess it has something to do with his traumatic childhood memory of his sister being left for dead by a whitelighter and some witches, but what is he actually trying to do here? Level the playing field and give humans powers? 

So can Macy and Harry just be together now and be done with it? Just commit either way damn it!

I thought it wasn't just wiping her memory, but also giving her more control/focus- she said she thought she was always so controlled because that's just who she was, but now she knows that's not the case and she can be more free..... Which that could be a pretty serious manipulation, unless they were able to wipe her memory of her fire hands but also leave behind the need to be under control.... 

I'm glad the got Harry and Macy together already, not because I've been dying for the pairing (I would have been happy for Galvin to hang around, or even rich guy to not be the big bad) but they have just been dragging it out sooooo long I was sick of it.  

• Love 1

It was hard to motivate myself to watch an episode of this.

This episode was a bit dull.  I tuned out and had to rewind for a bit.  I feel like this season, they've done "what's in the mind" episodes more often, while the season plot grinds to a halt.  Maybe they felt it was alright to do so when the plot is so boring and pointless.

Macy's flashback was alright, I suppose.  I had no idea that Harry had a chip in his head but apparently Jordan can do brain surgery now.   So Marisol helped calm Macy down once, and now her anger won't trigger her demon powers anymore?  Or maybe Marisol did something else but I was falling asleep.  Nevertheless, the events of this episode was a weak way to finally get Macy and Harry together.  Very anticlimatic.

I still don't like Mel's dad, so the romp through the woods wasn't interesting to me.  

But at least Abigail wasn't around, I guess.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:28 PM, UNOSEZ said:

It kinda proves that Galvin was always the pit stop which would be the CW yet again having a Main character start up with a Black guy as a possible LI and then dump him for the handsome white fella... They've done it all over their shows and its even more pointed when the MC is a WOC doing the bare minimum with the MOC before getting to the white guy... And I know Macy/Galvin didn't set the world on fire but I was seeing hints of Harry/Macy in season one so it was probably always coming so why should Galvin really bring it... 

Normally I'd be screaming this with you, but 1) one of the writers on the show said they began dropping hints about Macy/Harry in S1ep6 - the episode where he went on the faux-date with her and 2) the actor playing Galvin was filming Jumanji 2.  Pretty sure the reason he disappeared for so many episodes was because of said filming.  

It could be that they always planned on Hacy, but it could also be they pivoted when they realized Ser'Darius was too wrapped up in filming for them to do a pairing with Galvin and Macy justice.

That and Madeleine and Rupert have searing chemistry.  I wonder if they were chemistry tested when they were cast?  Just in case, or on purpose.  I mean - you could see little sparks in S1, but the intensity of it was just incredible in S2.

Also - why is his age an issue?  Leo was the same age difference with Piper and I never heard that as a reason why they shouldn't be together - in fact, folks loved that ship.  Leo was born in 1924 and Harry was born in 1920.  The 20 year difference in the show really doesn't matter much when you consider that Leo would have been 75 when he met Piper (he joined the show in 1999).  So Harry was 98.  But technically we don't know when Harry was made a Whitelighter - he died in his 30s, so technically that's what he is in terms of life years.

The one thing that could be icky is whether Harry wiped Macy's memories and/or made her closed off.  Macy herself said her parents made her closed off - not Harry.  Harry only removed the memory of her using magic and of her mom.  That could be icky, but I think the show meant to hand-wave that away - either that or the show plans to use that later on?

• Love 1