Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Perry Mason in the Media

It lacks something without Park Avenue Beat.

I'm so excited about this!  I've been posting over on the American's thread. Loving what I've seen so far.  I'm so happy for Matthew.  I hope it's successful.  

I knew I loved the theme song.  This is it.  The same artist does this as the one for Little Big Lies.  Love that one too.

• Like 1

We'll see if the ratings hold up but it seems to have done well compared to other shows that have debuted in the past two years for HBO.

https://ew.com/tv/perry-mason-hbo-ratings/

Mason was watched by a total of 1.7 million viewers across all platforms — that's more than the comic drama Watchmen (1.5 million) or the Stephen King adaptation The Outsider (1.2 million).

• Like 1

Oh. Maybe I won’t keep watching:

The first few episodes wallow so thickly in the mire of human depravity that they’re less classic CBS courtroom procedural, more True Detective…

For much of its debut eight episodes, Perry Mason feels of a piece with other efforts to “update” classic characters by amping up the edginess and the grotesquerie. 

or maybe I’ll just skip the next 3 and read the Collider.com recaps and then watch the last 4 “courtroom” episodes:

The stylistic self-indulgence and narrative nebulousness are more of a shame because when Mason finally finds himself in court, all the pieces of the show fall into place…

(theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/06/hbo-perry-mason-falls-into-a-prestige-tv-trap/613459)

Does anyone know if this show is an actual one and done miniseries or is it intended to have more seasons?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Does anyone know if this show is an actual one and done miniseries or is it intended to have more seasons?

According to the creators more seasons are a possibility. It’s HBO’s highest rated premiere in 2 years so a second season seems inevitable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

According to the creators more seasons are a possibility. It’s HBO’s highest rated premiere in 2 years so a second season seems inevitable. 

I wonder what effect (if any) the pandemic will have on production of future seasons. 

• Like 1

It started out as a mini-series (probably when RDJ was attached) and continued that way but when HBO started teasing it in the spring, they announced it as a drama series instead of limited series.  I would think the ratings would have to go down significantly for it not to get another season.  HBO needs content and murder mysteries are the kind of thing that tends to stream well. 

• Like 2

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19. These panels haven't been assigned  official timeslots yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website in the next week or so!

LGBTQ Representation on TV
Featuring Jamie Chung (Once Upon A Time), Jamie Clayton (Roswell: New Mexico), Wilson Cruz (Star Trek: Discovery), Tatiana Maslany (Perry Mason), Anthony Rapp (Star Trek: Discovery), J. August Richards (Council of Dads, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Harry Shum, Jr. (Shadowhunters) and Brian Michael Smith (9-1-1: Lone Star), moderated by TV Guide's Jim Halterman. 

TV Guide's Fan Favorites
Featuring Hale Appleman (The Magicians), Chris Chalk (Perry Mason), Robbie Amell (Upload), Kennedy McMann (Nancy Drew), Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Picard), Richard Harmon (The 100), Lindsey Morgan (The 100), Harvey Guillen (What We Do in the Shadows), and Alex Newell (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist). 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Anthony Rapp

Is it sad I still remember him most as Daryl from Adventures In Babysitting? (Old Gen-X'er here!)

Matthew Rhys is interviewed by Terry Gross on today’s Fresh Air! Very enjoyable 45 minutes of good questions by Terry and thoughtful answers by Matthew in his lovely Welsh accent. ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 4

2 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

Matthew Rhys is interviewed by Terry Gross on today’s Fresh Air! Very enjoyable 45 minutes of good questions by Terry and thoughtful answers by Matthew in his lovely Welsh accent. ❤️❤️❤️

I was just going to post same thing. Hoochie mama his voice!  I about drove off the road. jk

I forgot about that scene when they had the guy in the trunk of the car on The Americans. Phillip wanted out from all the way back then. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

Yes! Maybe it's because Terry Gross is the interviewer's interviewer, but Matthew Rhys seemed so relatable.
And lots of tidbits relevant to this board/series too.
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/13/890370370/in-perry-mason-matthew-rhys-lives-out-his-boyhood-noir-fantasies

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes! Maybe it's because Terry Gross is the interviewer's interviewer, but Matthew Rhys seemed so relatable.
And lots of tidbits relevant to this board/series too.
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/13/890370370/in-perry-mason-matthew-rhys-lives-out-his-boyhood-noir-fantasies

. . . and they played the original “Perry Mason” theme leading into one of the breaks!

• Like 1

Chapter 5 & 6 summaries: Zap2It

Strickland tracks down the sergeant originally assigned to the Dodson case while Mason and Della run a solemn errand up north; Della sets out to find Mrs. Dodson more capable legal representation.

A damning witness testimony begins Emily's trial; Della and Strickland investigate a potential connection between Detective Ennis and Charlie's kidnappers; Mason considers betraying Drake's trust.

On 7/13/2020 at 11:55 AM, spaceghostess said:

His natural accent is always such a surprise!  Thoughtful interview, though I have to say I enjoyed the bits about The Americans and other topics more than the discussion of Perry Mason.  

Chapter 7 & 8 Summaries

Mason puts Herman Baggerly on the stand in hopes of exposing the hidden link between the Radiant Assembly's staggering debt and Charlie's ransom; Strickland loses track of a key witness; Drake's detective work opens a new avenue in the case.

Della presents a stubborn Mason with her case for putting Emily on the stand; Mason, Strickland, Della, and Drake attempt to tie up loose ends as the trial comes to a close.

• Like 1