Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Perry Mason in the Media

It lacks something without Park Avenue Beat.

I'm so excited about this!  I've been posting over on the American's thread. Loving what I've seen so far.  I'm so happy for Matthew.  I hope it's successful.  

I knew I loved the theme song.  This is it.  The same artist does this as the one for Little Big Lies.  Love that one too.

• Like 1

We'll see if the ratings hold up but it seems to have done well compared to other shows that have debuted in the past two years for HBO.

https://ew.com/tv/perry-mason-hbo-ratings/

Mason was watched by a total of 1.7 million viewers across all platforms — that's more than the comic drama Watchmen (1.5 million) or the Stephen King adaptation The Outsider (1.2 million).

• Like 1

Oh. Maybe I won’t keep watching:

The first few episodes wallow so thickly in the mire of human depravity that they’re less classic CBS courtroom procedural, more True Detective…

For much of its debut eight episodes, Perry Mason feels of a piece with other efforts to “update” classic characters by amping up the edginess and the grotesquerie. 

or maybe I’ll just skip the next 3 and read the Collider.com recaps and then watch the last 4 “courtroom” episodes:

The stylistic self-indulgence and narrative nebulousness are more of a shame because when Mason finally finds himself in court, all the pieces of the show fall into place…

(theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/06/hbo-perry-mason-falls-into-a-prestige-tv-trap/613459)

2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Does anyone know if this show is an actual one and done miniseries or is it intended to have more seasons?

According to the creators more seasons are a possibility. It’s HBO’s highest rated premiere in 2 years so a second season seems inevitable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

Does anyone know if this show is an actual one and done miniseries or is it intended to have more seasons?

According to the creators more seasons are a possibility. It’s HBO’s highest rated premiere in 2 years so a second season seems inevitable. 

I wonder what effect (if any) the pandemic will have on production of future seasons. 

• Like 1

It started out as a mini-series (probably when RDJ was attached) and continued that way but when HBO started teasing it in the spring, they announced it as a drama series instead of limited series.  I would think the ratings would have to go down significantly for it not to get another season.  HBO needs content and murder mysteries are the kind of thing that tends to stream well. 

• Like 2