Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: A Baby Tooth and the Egyptian God of Knowledge

Bort
  • Start Topic

54 minutes ago, possibilities said:

At the same time, though, when I worked retail, the cashier was NEVER supposed to leave the cash register unattended, the drawer was supposed to be watched at all times, and it could and was supposed to be locked if unattended for any reason. Not doing so is as big of a mistake as not locking the front door when you close up at night, and definitely a major offense worthy of being fired. It's not like Georgie was robbed at gunpoint, which would not be his fault.

Yes.  That's basically all I've been trying to say.  And even though people had credit cards back then, they were not used as regularly as they are now.  Most in-store transactions were still cash

I don't know if $400 was an especially high amount or not. I would imagine there are some pricey items in that store.  So, if a couple of those are usually sold on a Saturday along with a bunch of baseballs and golf balls and whatnot, it probably wouldn't be that crazy to get up to a few hundred dollars.

I have had probably several thousand cups of chamomile tea in my life, including when an ER doctor in the 70s recommended it for a very bad migraine when I was possibly pregnant. 
I cannot readily find anything online about concentrated chamomile being hallucinogenic. I'm guessing the writers selected it on purpose in case young viewers would copy Sheldon's formula. 
Still, yes:

10 minutes ago, rmontro said:

For someone who is so paranoid about drugs of any kind, Sheldon sure seems to enjoy his hallucinogenic experiences.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I cannot readily find anything online about concentrated chamomile being hallucinogenic. 

Considering Sheldon's paranoia about drugs again, maybe it was a placebo effect.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

No one asked Georgie to pay back the money.  He did that out of the goodness of his heart.  Or, more likely, a desire not to let Dale know the store was robbed.

I think it was obvious that it was #2.  And for that reason I can kind-of understand why Dale would figure that out and fire him, even though it made Dale look like a meanie.  I don't like the idea of them leaving it like that so like others I hope Dale has a redeeming moment in the next episode.  This was not a good note upon which to leave what's supposed to be a nostalgic, heart warming comedy.

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

As Yeah No said, in many states we are 'employees at will.'  It's a bit controversial.  I've seen many heated debates about it.  I don't agree with Dale firing Georgie, but sadly, it can happen that way in real life. 

Good for you!  Mr. Chat won one too with a big company here that wouldn't let him come back to work after an on-the-job injury, even after he did the rehab and wanted and asked to go back to work.  If you get a good attorney, you can win against some of these companies in an 'employee at will' state.  

Yep, a good friend is a lawyer and recommended me to a great firm that knew what they were doing.  In my case I was terminated for no reason while still collecting workers' comp. for an on-the-job injury (a bad arm break that required surgery and months of physical therapy to regain most of the use of my hand - I'm fine now with only a little grip strength weakness and carpel tunnel).  Of course that's against the law so my company had to pay up.  Plus I still collected the workers' comp. until my doctor was good and ready to clear me for work, which stretched out for almost 2 years of receiving most of my salary.  Couldn't happen to a "nicer" company, and sorry, what they have done to many people and gotten away with is truly criminal.  I may be one of the few who actually took them to court and won.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Yes.  That's basically all I've been trying to say.  And even though people had credit cards back then, they were not used as regularly as they are now.  Most in-store transactions were still cash

I don't know if $400 was an especially high amount or not. I would imagine there are some pricey items in that store.  So, if a couple of those are usually sold on a Saturday along with a bunch of baseballs and golf balls and whatnot, it probably wouldn't be that crazy to get up to a few hundred dollars.

Yep, cash transactions were far more common back then, especially in a small mom and pop shop like Dale's store.

In the late 80's I worked part time on the weekends for extra cash in a gas station mini-mart.  The standard cash drawer when the store opened was $200, in some standard combination of 20's, 10's, 5's, 1's and change that I don't remember offhand.  Plus there were always rolls of quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies on the side and in the back of the drawer.  I know this was common practice in a lot of stores (not sure about today).  I can easily see the drawer at Dale's store having $400 in it at a certain time of the day after several cash sales were made.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

The standard cash drawer when the store opened was $200, in some standard combination of 20's, 10's, 5's, 1's and change that I don't remember offhand.  Plus there were always rolls of quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies on the side and in the back of the drawer. 

That brings back memories of the late 70's working at a fast food restaurant.  Back then you also figured out the change you owed the customer yourself!  No built in calculator for us! ha ha.  Funny to look back and remember the days of "cash only" in places like that.  No debit/credit cards. 

They showed Georgie making a few sales, so there's no doubt that he had a bit of cash in the drawer.  I don't think he left it wide open either.  He probably thought he shut it all the way, but left it slightly open, or it bounced back open with the lock failing to catch.  Money is very important to Georgie, so I think it's out of character for him to walk away from a drawer being wide open.  

23 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Couldn't happen to a "nicer" company, and sorry, what they have done to many people and gotten away with is truly criminal.

Ditto to this with our situation! I was more mad than Mr. Chat and made damn sure we made our voices heard with this very large company.  We mostly got back pay - nothing too big, but it was the point of the whole thing.  I just wanted to be a thorn in their side for a little while.  😉 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

That brings back memories of the late 70's working at a fast food restaurant.  Back then you also figured out the change you owed the customer yourself!  No built in calculator for us! ha ha.  Funny to look back and remember the days of "cash only" in places like that.  No debit/credit cards. 

They showed Georgie making a few sales, so there's no doubt that he had a bit of cash in the drawer.  I don't think he left it wide open either.  He probably thought he shut it all the way, but left it slightly open, or it bounced back open with the lock failing to catch.  Money is very important to Georgie, so I think it's out of character for him to walk away from a drawer being wide open.  

Ditto to this with our situation! I was more mad than Mr. Chat and made damn sure we made our voices heard with this very large company.  We mostly got back pay - nothing too big, but it was the point of the whole thing.  I just wanted to be a thorn in their side for a little while.  😉 

You just reminded me of my first job in the late '70s working at Burger King, LOL.  Today nobody knows how to count back change anymore - These days when I give the clerk an extra quarter and tell them to give me back a dime they look at me like they can't figure out how I came to that conclusion.  Geesh.....

I think you're right about Georgie's cash drawer bouncing back - Another memory you brought back, LOL, and entirely possible!

I hear you about being a thorn - me too, although the money wasn't great as in no six figures or anything, it was enough for me to feel like I got some justice out of them for pretty much canning me when I'm too old to find another position - and it's actually common for them to can people for no reason when they get too "old".  I looked for a job for a year and a half after that and got nowhere in spite of a great economy.  I often got called back for second interviews, even pretty much given the wink and nod that the position was mine, and still didn't get the job.  I started to get paranoid that maybe I had been blackballed on the dark web - I seriously wouldn't put it past this company to do something like that.  I had gotten the better of them when most people they screw just crawl away with their tails between their legs.  This is a big company but run by only a few execs. at the very top.  I was an executive assistant to a VP so they all knew me and (I thought) liked me (I had excellent performance evals.), but the whole thing felt very nasty and personal, so I just couldn't let them get away with it. So yeah, it was the point of the whole thing.  I became a lot of my friends' hero for not letting them get away with it!

Edited by Yeah No
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

ou just reminded me of my first job in the late '70s working at Burger King, LOL.  Today nobody knows how to count back change anymore - These days when I give the clerk an extra quarter and tell them to give me back a dime they look at me like they can't figure out how I came to that conclusion.  Geesh.....

About 3 or 4 years ago I was doing laundry and went next door to the convenience store to get a snack while I was waiting on my clothes.  So, I gave the girl a $5 or whatever, she punched it in and looked at the change amount.  She pulled out the bills and then called to someone else working there.  I figured she was out of some kind of change or something.  But, she literally didn't know how to give me 47 cents.  Blew my mind.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

No one asked Georgie to pay back the money.  He did that out of the goodness of his heart.  Or, more likely, a desire not to let Dale know the store was robbed.

As a former teenager, I know the mind of a teen is a strange thing. I completely understand Georgie just wanting to replace the money and make the whole situation go away. Especially when he's viewed as the troublemaker of the family whose parents mostly only notice him when he screws up. Notice how George Sr and Mary always act surprised when he does good or when someone outside the family praise him.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

As a former teenager, I know the mind of a teen is a strange thing. I completely understand Georgie just wanting to replace the money and make the whole situation go away.

Yeah, I can understand why he wanted to just put the money back without involving the police and no one would be the wiser.  I don't think he was trying to be sneaky.  He was trying to handle it himself and be done with it.  I can understand his mindset at that age.  I thought he did pretty well in the fact that he didn't have a come apart over the whole thing.  He thought about it, then solved the problem on his own.  He thought he was doing the right thing, although Dale should know that he got robbed.   Still, Dale was an ass about it. 

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I figured she was out of some kind of change or something.  But, she literally didn't know how to give me 47 cents.  Blew my mind.

Yes, I see this frequently.  You'll have an item at at $2.76, so you hand over $3.01.  It's always that extra penny that throws off some of them!  I also worked at Burger King in the late 70's, and the first time a customer did that to me, I'll admit that I had a "duh" moment, but quickly figured it out.  Never had trouble with that again!!

The moral of our story, Yeah No:  We are not to be messed with!!  🙂  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Yes, I see this frequently.  You'll have an item at at $2.76, so you hand over $3.01.  It's always that extra penny that throws off some of them!  I also worked at Burger King in the late 70's, and the first time a customer did that to me, I'll admit that I had a "duh" moment, but quickly figured it out.  Never had trouble with that again!!

this wasn't that kind of thing. The register did the math for her. She knew how much change she had to give,  she just didn't understand how to do it.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

My main surprise is that this is a comedy, and that ending was not even a little bit funny.

Another thought about the shockingly non-comedic ending: I'm guessing this is a more creative version of "To be continued..."
--meaning that the next episode (in 2 weeks) will pick up the Dale-Georgie saga.

4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I hope Dale has a redeeming moment in the next episode. 

I don't really like Dale, but I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this.  There's going to be some sort of fallout, whether it be MeeMaw reaming Dale over this, them breaking up, or Dale viewing security footage showing that Georgie didn't really leave the drawer open.

I don't know much about insurance, but if Georgie had made a police report, would insurance have covered the loss?  If the deductible was say, $500, I suppose not.  Either way, it didn't seem right that Dale would accept Georgie's money, even if he didn't handle the situation wrong.

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Yes, I see this frequently.  You'll have an item at at $2.76, so you hand over $3.01.  It's always that extra penny that throws off some of them!

A lot of the time the total will be something like $12, so I will give them $22, so I can get a ten back.  Once in awhile I'll run into someone who is completely bamboozled by this, and they'll give me back my two dollars and explain that it was only 12.  I usually just let it slide, because I don't want to bother explaining it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Notice how tall Missy is getting?   They don't show Missy and Sheldon standing next to each other in this season.   

Dale was definitely too harsh, and as others have said, I think he was taking his anger and frustration with Meemaw out on Georgie.   I also think Dale has an anger problem.  He's much too volatile and crass.  Meemaw doesn't need to hitch her wagon to someone like him.    

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Notice how tall Missy is getting?   They don't show Missy and Sheldon standing next to each other in this season.   

I didn’t notice, but IRL a sister twin would have a growth spurt before her brother twin, which they could have know-it-all Sheldon condescendingly explain to someone trying to tease him. 

About cash counting: even though I haven’t touched a cash register since the 70s, I’ve recently counted out change to students when they gave me, for example, a $20 bill to cover $3 worth of printing, as: “3, 4, 5, 10, 20.” I can tell they have no idea why I did it that way, but it looks right to them. 😉 —and we should probably take any more of this reminiscing about counting change to the small talk thread if we’re not done. I have a doozy of a stolen cash/firing story from the 70s that would be way more interesting, but the current day counting stories are more fun. 

• Love 3

Notice how George Sr and Mary always act surprised when he does good or when someone outside the family praise him.

His Grandma too. Earlier in the episode, Dale says isn't into gambling and Connie disagrees because he left Georgie in charge. Dale says that Georgie is a lot smarter than she thinks and she says that know she thinks less of Dale's intelligence.

Perhaps that debate was another factor in the Dale's anger at Georgie. He'd defended the  boy to Connie and now it looks like Connie is right  - right after their later argument. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

At the same time, though, when I worked retail, the cashier was NEVER supposed to leave the cash register unattended, the drawer was supposed to be watched at all times, and it could and was supposed to be locked if unattended for any reason. Not doing so is as big of a mistake as not locking the front door when you close up at night, and definitely a major offense worthy of being fired. It's not like Georgie was robbed at gunpoint, which would not be his fault.

It looked like Georgie was the only employee in the store at the time, so there's no way he could always be by the cash register and demonstrate different products to customers at the same time.

BTW, I don't think Georgie was just making minimum wage, he must have also been earning commission on sales. That's why he had so much cash saved up, and IIRC in an earlier episode he bought a TV set for his room.

9 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but executives of large corporations who routinely screw over employees don't lose *any* sleep over small wrongful termination settlements. The numbers still work out in their favor - only a small percentage of the screwed-over employees dare to fight back - or else they'd stop doing it, and they have the company's lawyers handle all the details. For the execs, that's just part of the cost of doing business.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, ChitChat said:

The moral of our story, Yeah No:  We are not to be messed with!!  🙂  

LOL, yes, the penny, that's another situation that leaves them scratching their heads and standing there frozen, looking at the change in their hands like they don't know whether to trust you or run away crying for their mommy, LOL.  Usually at that point I say, "You can trust me, my math SAT score was 650", LOL. 🤣

And yes to that first time that never happened again!

8 hours ago, rmontro said:

I don't really like Dale, but I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this.  There's going to be some sort of fallout, whether it be MeeMaw reaming Dale over this, them breaking up, or Dale viewing security footage showing that Georgie didn't really leave the drawer open.

I'm sure you're right that MeeMaw will give Dale a ration of crap over this that might lead to a breakup.  I can't say I'd be unhappy about that because they've made Dale into such an unlikable character (not something I'm loving because I like Craig T. Nelson).  I just fear that this is all happening to get her back together with Sturgis, which I think is just as bad in its own way.  I kind of doubt, though, that a shop that stuck in the past even for that time would have a security camera.  And back then even at best they were not that great.  But you never know!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but executives of large corporations who routinely screw over employees don't lose *any* sleep over small wrongful termination settlements. The numbers still work out in their favor - only a small percentage of the screwed-over employees dare to fight back - or else they'd stop doing it, and they have the company's lawyers handle all the details. For the execs, that's just part of the cost of doing business.

Oh, I happen to know that in my case I WAS a thorn in their sides because I heard about it from my secret sources close to them.  Remember, I was a high level executive admin. who knew other admins.  Also my lawyers told me how their lawyers reacted.  Every decision regarding my case had to come from the VERY TOP of the company - a sign that this was a personal thing for him because his ego was so big and he was such a NARCISSIST that he was not used to being challenged and bested by someone he thought should be so powerless and insignificant.  For him it wasn't about the money, it was that I, an insignificant underling who should just crawl away had the audacity and nerve to tell him he was wrong and make him pay me a not so insignificant amount of money when all added up.  This guy knew me, so it was personal.  Plus I was told it wouldn't look great for the company to have that on their record either, so it wasn't like there was no record of them having wrongfully terminated someone and lost the case.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I kind of doubt, though, that a shop that stuck in the past even for that time would have a security camera.  And back then even at best they were not that great.  But you never know!

Yes, hard to say, but from just one of the many websites that pop up if you Google: 
     history of security cameras
(surveillance-video.com/blog/a-history-of-cctv-technology-how-video-surveillance-technology-has-evolved.html)

…digital video recording became standard in the commercial space in 1986…

Would it be considered a retcon in the show if Sheldon has a line of, “Well, it’s a good thing I installed a security camera at the store…”?

Or (unlikely, but I’ve always had an overactive imagination) considering that Montana Jordan is 17, maybe they were going to follow up the dark episode ending with mistakenly sending Georgie off to juvie because Montana Jordan planned to pause his acting career for college. I doubt this because it doesn’t seem like a secret that could be kept. If it was the plan, with colleges going online for the pandemic, they’d likely free Georgie by next season. 

Edited by shapeshifter
Typo
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

nd we should probably take any more of this reminiscing about counting change to the small talk thread if we’re not done. I have a doozy of a stolen cash/firing story from the 70s that would be way more interesting, but the current day counting stories are more fun. 

Oh, I'd love to hear that story, but I don't see a small talk thread for this forum.

11 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It looked like Georgie was the only employee in the store at the time, so there's no way he could always be by the cash register and demonstrate different products to customers at the same time.

That's definitely the big flaw in the system.  It doesn't really work at all unless the cash register locks, which suggests that Georgie really did leave the drawer unlocked, as he claimed he did.  We'll see.

But I wonder if Dale has ever made that same mistake?  If it's mostly a one person store, it seems like it would be prone to that kind of error.

8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I just fear that this is all happening to get her back together with Sturgis

I like Dr. Sturgis, so that wouldn't bother me.  Although I agree I don't see him as endgame for Connie, if she has one, which I doubt.  I'd be fine with her having a series of boyfriends on the show.  But if they keep Dr. Sturgis around, so much the better.  I think the thing I miss the most is the passive aggressive banter between him and Dale, the verbal jousting.

• Love 3
On 4/18/2020 at 9:12 PM, shapeshifter said:

a $20 bill to cover $3 worth of printing, as: “3, 4, 5, 10, 20.”

LOL!  Somebody did that to me recently and I was stunned!  I haven't heard anybody do it that way in years!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 4/18/2020 at 7:10 AM, shapeshifter said:

I’m still hung up on my notion that Dale assumes Georgie was lying about someone stealing the money when the drawer was open, and that Georgie took it —in part because he had the right amount of money on him, and $400 is a lot for a teen like Georgie to save. So I keep wondering how that drama would play out. 
This post—

—gave me the idea that maybe Georgie would confront Dale about the firing —maybe tell Dale it’s not fair for him (Georgie) to both make up for the theft out of his own pocket and get fired, at which point Dale will realize he was wrong about Georgie —which could lead to Dale realizing he was wrong to be angry at Meemaw too. 

Yes, but:

I have hated Dale since the beginning. So, I think you're giving him too much credit. He's mad at Memaw. Georgie screwed up. He might have been calmer, but his ego was bruised. 

On 4/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, FrankOFoley said:

I wonder, maybe hope, that Dale will leave Connie as a setup to bring back Jim Beaver (the guy from the cemetery aka “Bobby” in another incarnation) as a love interest. From the few minutes he was on during the cemetery episode it seems like he’s well balanced, unlike the polar opposites of Sturgis and Dale. I really think this would play better with Connie’s “fun” character.

I would love that. But I don't think it will happen. 

• Love 1

FWIW, the dental x-rays they had in the exam room weren't mounted correctly (out of order, wrong side).  And if they were supposed to be Sheldon's teeth, those were definitely not the teeth of someone his age!  Just a nitpick on my part.  😉 

I am continually impressed at Georgie's ability to make a sale!  I think he made a small fortune back when he sold the snow globes.  Then he worked at the garage as the "tire whisperer."  I wonder what happened to that job.    It was good to see that he saved his money and has a goal, rather than blowing it all.  He's smarter than he's given credit for!  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 4/18/2020 at 2:25 PM, Yeah No said:

I think it was obvious that it was #2.  And for that reason I can kind-of understand why Dale would figure that out and fire him, even though it made Dale look like a meanie.  I don't like the idea of them leaving it like that so like others I hope Dale has a redeeming moment in the next episode.  This was not a good note upon which to leave what's supposed to be a nostalgic, heart warming comedy.

Yep, a good friend is a lawyer and recommended me to a great firm that knew what they were doing.  In my case I was terminated for no reason while still collecting workers' comp. for an on-the-job injury (a bad arm break that required surgery and months of physical therapy to regain most of the use of my hand - I'm fine now with only a little grip strength weakness and carpel tunnel).  Of course that's against the law so my company had to pay up.  Plus I still collected the workers' comp. until my doctor was good and ready to clear me for work, which stretched out for almost 2 years of receiving most of my salary.  Couldn't happen to a "nicer" company, and sorry, what they have done to many people and gotten away with is truly criminal.  I may be one of the few who actually took them to court and won.

I'm a lawyer.  These are exceptions to at-will employment (disability, sex, age, race, religion).  Or having a contract.  Or having union protection.  That's why your lawyer could even bring a case.  You seem to have had issues that could be tied to ADA or other disability discrimination prohibitions.  Georgie can be fired for being a doofus or even for no reason at all, such as Dale got up on the wrong side of bed that morning. 

I must say that as you described employers often take these cases very personally and hate having to settle. 

22 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I like Dale, the one I can't stand is Sturgis.  Wallace Shawn annoys me.

Aw, I've always liked him.  He's such a funny character.  Have to say he's not usually believable as a romantic figure.  Remember his first claim to fame is that Woody Allen called him a homunculus in Manhattan.   And Woody Allen is no George Clooney.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I am continually impressed at Georgie's ability to make a sale!  

True. Which makes me think Dale will ask Georgie to come back. 
But then I remembered MeeMaw asking Dale why he doesn’t just retire. In a show with 18 minutes of dialogue, that could mean Dale might close or sell the business. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, GussieK said:

Aw, I've always liked him.  He's such a funny character.  Have to say he's not usually believable as a romantic figure.  Remember his first claim to fame is that Woody Allen called him a homunculus in Manhattan. 

I like Sturgis too.  He has such a twisted but upbeat view on life.  Although I know Wallace Shawn mainly from My Dinner With Andre.  Even though he's been in a ton of things.  I'm guessing he might be most well known for The Princess Bride?  

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I like Sturgis too.  He has such a twisted but upbeat view on life.  Although I know Wallace Shawn mainly from My Dinner With Andre.  Even though he's been in a ton of things.  I'm guessing he might be most well known for The Princess Bride?  

That's probably true, but there's also Star Trek (Deep Space Nine, I think), where he played the head Ferengi.  Hilarious. 

• Love 3

I'm no dental professional, but I am a person who's almost 40 and has a baby tooth that never fell out - it's not necessarily a problem, as the dentist insisted to Mary. Mine didn't affect any of the neighboring teeth, and I never needed braces either. It's just one of those quirky things, often genetic (one of my aunts has the same thing, in the same spot in her mouth). So, yeah. Especially given a kid like Sheldon, who was freaking out about the whole thing, I think I would have taken my chances with just leaving the tooth.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

I'm no dental professional, but I am a person who's almost 40 and has a baby tooth that never fell out - it's not necessarily a problem, as the dentist insisted to Mary.

If there's a permanent tooth under that baby tooth and said baby tooth is impeding it's eruption, then it's usually recommended to have the baby tooth extracted.  There are many cases in which there is no permanent tooth under a baby tooth and many people elect to leave it alone.  If a kid is going to have orthodontics, then they might suggest extracting the baby tooth and try moving the teeth to close that space.  Baby teeth have shorter roots, which can lead to root resorption over time.  

I believe that the dentist told Mary that he needed to get the baby tooth out because it was keeping the permanent tooth from coming in.  Sometimes baby teeth can be stubborn and a kid isn't able to get them out on their own, so a little help is in order!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

That's probably true, but there's also Star Trek (Deep Space Nine, I think), where he played the head Ferengi.  Hilarious. 

In my house we call him "one of THOSE guys" , the character actors you know you've seen in a hundred different shows😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Also known as “Hey! It’s That Guy!” Or HITG.

He was on Sex and The City one time.  Carrie set him up with her boss from Vogue (Candice Bergen) and he comforted her as they went to a funeral for a NYC socialite.  It wasn't until recently that I realized he played a Ferengi, and we watched that series regularly back in it's prime!  It was hard to recognize some of those actors in all of that heavy makeup and prosthetics. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I'm no dental professional, but I am a person who's almost 40 and has a baby tooth that never fell out - it's not necessarily a problem, as the dentist insisted to Mary. Mine didn't affect any of the neighboring teeth, and I never needed braces either. It's just one of those quirky things, often genetic (one of my aunts has the same thing, in the same spot in her mouth). So, yeah. Especially given a kid like Sheldon, who was freaking out about the whole thing, I think I would have taken my chances with just leaving the tooth.

My mom had 2 baby teeth well into her 70s.  The difference between her (and I'm assuming you) and Sheldon is that she didn't have adult teeth there that needed to come in  I had to have my last baby tooth surgically removed when I was 15(?) or the adult tooth would have come in sideways, having nowhere else to go.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ChitChat said:

If there's a permanent tooth under that baby tooth and said baby tooth is impeding it's eruption, then it's usually recommended to have the baby tooth extracted.  There are many cases in which there is no permanent tooth under a baby tooth and many people elect to leave it alone.  If a kid is going to have orthodontics, then they might suggest extracting the baby tooth and try moving the teeth to close that space.  Baby teeth have shorter roots, which can lead to root resorption over time.  

I believe that the dentist told Mary that he needed to get the baby tooth out because it was keeping the permanent tooth from coming in.  Sometimes baby teeth can be stubborn and a kid isn't able to get them out on their own, so a little help is in order!  

Quick off topic question, lol. In this episode, they gave Sheldon anesthesia. I recently completely a dental secretary course, and one question I had to put in the codes for an extraction on 4 teeth for a 7 year old. I used the code with general anesthesia since I would think a 7 year old having 4 teeth removed would be traumatizing. I was told it was wrong. I should have used the other extraction code without anesthesia. And that a 7 year old would never been placed under anesthesia. And that baby teeth don't really have roots and so it wouldn't hurt. I'm just curious as to if that's the right answer. I mean, Sheldon was put under for 1 baby tooth extraction but he is quite older so maybe that makes a difference? Anyway, just curious. 

And to bring this post fully back on topic, notice how the past couple of episodes have ended on a darker note. First this one with Georgie being fired, and then the other episode with Dr. Sturgis kicking Sheldon out of his class. Maybe this is foreshadowing that not everything will always be hunky dory for the Coopers. 

43 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I mean, Sheldon was put under for 1 baby tooth extraction but he is quite older so maybe that makes a difference? Anyway, just curious. 

Like I said upthread, I was 15 when I had my baby tooth removed, but I was anesthetized.  For whatever that's worth.

44 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

And to bring this post fully back on topic, notice how the past couple of episodes have ended on a darker note. First this one with Georgie being fired, and then the other episode with Dr. Sturgis kicking Sheldon out of his class. Maybe this is foreshadowing that not everything will always be hunky dory for the Coopers. 

Maybe they're trying to go more the drama root than comedy?

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I should have used the other extraction code without anesthesia. And that a 7 year old would never been placed under anesthesia. And that baby teeth don't really have roots and so it wouldn't hurt. I'm just curious as to if that's the right answer.

In our office we just use nitrous gas and a local anesthetic (shot).  Nitrous shouldn't put a person to sleep, it just eases the anxiety.  The mask they put on Sheldon looked like what we use for nitrous.   If someone wants to be under general anesthesia, we send them to the oral surgeon's office since they do that kind of sedation.  Baby teeth usually have shorter roots, but sometimes they are locked in and just won't budge, so they need to be numbed up and have it extracted.  Then there are kids who are too scared to wiggle a baby tooth even when it's barely hanging in there, so sometimes we have to numb them up and extract the tooth (just like Sheldon!)  We don't generally recommend a child be put to sleep for extractions, unless there is a valid reason, then again, they'd go to the oral surgeon.   

There is a separate code for N2O (nitrous) if used, then the code for the extraction.  I can't remember them off the top of my head though!  Even though baby teeth have shorter roots, there's still a bit of an "ouch" when getting them out, so if a child is reluctant to wiggle the tooth themselves, a little local anesthetic helps to keep them from feeling any discomfort.    

2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Maybe this is foreshadowing that not everything will always be hunky dory for the Coopers. 

Yeah, I guess we've got to take the good with the bad, just as in real life!  It was just a little jarring with how Dale fired Georgie so abruptly.  I wasn't prepared for that!  Dale looked so mad.  He scared me!  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

My mom had 2 baby teeth well into her 70s.  The difference between her (and I'm assuming you) and Sheldon is that she didn't have adult teeth there that needed to come in 

Nope, I didn't have an adult tooth underneath either, as xrays indicated. 

Missy reminds of my sister at that age (which would been a few years before this):

Our Mother "Say you're sorry!"

My Sister "But I'm not!"

An easy mistake to make on the part of Georgie, though he really should have had a pay rise if he was running the store single handed (not that it matters now).

On 4/22/2020 at 12:08 AM, GussieK said:

there's also Star Trek (Deep Space Nine, I think), where he played the head Ferengi.

The Grand Nagus! But I still think of him as The Sicilian from The Princess Bride (he wasn't buried under a full facemask then).

On 4/19/2020 at 12:05 AM, rmontro said:

A lot of the time the total will be something like $12, so I will give them $22, so I can get a ten back.  Once in awhile I'll run into someone who is completely bamboozled by this, and they'll give me back my two dollars and explain that it was only 12

That reminds me of a time a few years back when my stuff came to (I think) $9.01*, so I handed over a $10 note and a penny. The cashier insisted on handing me 99p and then returning my penny. And she was older than me!

* Well, it was in pounds, but you get the idea

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, John Potts said:

Missy reminds of my sister at that age (which would been a few years before this):

Our Mother "Say you're sorry!"

My Sister "But I'm not!"

Nothing annoys me more than a forced apology.  So, good for your sister.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:02 AM, jewel21 said:

Quick off topic question, lol. In this episode, they gave Sheldon anesthesia. I recently completely a dental secretary course, and one question I had to put in the codes for an extraction on 4 teeth for a 7 year old. I used the code with general anesthesia since I would think a 7 year old having 4 teeth removed would be traumatizing. I was told it was wrong. I should have used the other extraction code without anesthesia. And that a 7 year old would never been placed under anesthesia. And that baby teeth don't really have roots and so it wouldn't hurt. I'm just curious as to if that's the right answer. I mean, Sheldon was put under for 1 baby tooth extraction but he is quite older so maybe that makes a difference? Anyway, just curious. 

I had to have lots of teeth pulled out when I was young.  First it was because the baby teeth were preventing the permanents coming in.  Then it was to make room in my tiny mouth for the big teeth.

I never got anesthesia.  Just novocaine.  I had the first ones pulled when I was 8.  I had the most pulled when I was 12.  Never had more than 2 out at the same time.  Baby teeth may have short roots, but it still hurts.

Doesn't Sheldon have a needle phobia?  Maybe that's why they gave him anesthesia.

• Useful 1