Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Episode 8

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

Katie didn't stop Lyndon in the last episode because she knew it wouldn't change the ultimate outcome, so I suppose we should have known what would happen. I guess the ultimate conclusion was supposed to be a happy ending? So be it. I hope it doesn't get renewed.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Katie didn't stop Lyndon in the last episode because she knew it wouldn't change the ultimate outcome, so I suppose we should have known what would happen. I guess the ultimate conclusion was supposed to be a happy ending? So be it. I hope it doesn't get renewed.

It wasn't a happy ending for Kate or Lilly.   

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lemons said:

It wasn't a happy ending for Kate or Lilly.   

No, not exactly for Katie, but for Lily and Forest.  According to the series Forest and Lily were going to die regardless, even if they knew and tried to change the events.  Being put into the simulation allowed them to continue living in a sense.  Forest was reunited with his family and Lily, now aware that Sergie was not who she believed him to be, was able to return to Jamie who she knows has always truly loved her.  Katie knew that her losing Forest was inevitable and she was accepting of that, but she loved him enough to want him to go on in simulation and was last seen taking the necessary steps to ensure that the system making that possible would never cease operating.  

The whole thing just raises a lot of existential questions that I'm not interested in pondering upon.  I prefer my TV viewing to be enteratining in a cut and dried fashion.

Edited by ichbin
spelling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

If the ending was happy, it was only because the show closed with Lily hugging Jamie.  Any claim made by Forest or Katie was unreliable.  Forest and Katie believed no choice could be made in the deterministic timeline and they were wrong, so there's no reason to believe that the simulation Lily and Forest were in was Paradise-like.  Katie tells the Senator that there's no distinguishable between the simulation and reality but that's not true because Lily knowing there is a difference will be the difference for her.  

In the end, I feel like the show is less about whether the Universe is one of determinism or free will, but more about how susceptible the human mind is to self-deception.  I'll probably change my mind tomorrow.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 4/16/2020 at 10:59 PM, ichbin said:

The whole thing just raises a lot of existential questions that I'm not interested in pondering upon.  I prefer my TV viewing to be enteratining in a cut and dried fashion.

Very true. As I have mentioned before, my hubby won't stay in the room if I am watching this because I ask a million questions which end up rhetorical because there is no one available to answer anything. I prefer brain candy for my late-night TV viewing. I do not want to have to view a fictional series with a critical mindset. By the time I've made it to my 'down time', I just want to be entertained.

• Love 1

So I really liked this show. Not because it was great, because it wasn’t. But conceptually, it swings for the fences and I admire that in a show, kind of like The OA did. The dialogue was stodgy and the pace is glacially slow (probably a deliberate decision, reflecting the way tram lines just keep a train moving forward). But I thought the performances were decent and again, the theme and material were very interesting. When I’m still thinking about a show a few days after I’ve completed it, I consider it successful. 

• Love 2