Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
PrincessPurrsALot

S08.E16: Leneatha's Story

Recommended Posts

Quote

Leneatha has a young daughter to support, but she's so big that it's had to move. If Dr. Now can't help her stop eating, losing her job could be the least of her worries.

This is the regular episode thread.  It will be open after the US East Coast showing. 

Original air date 2020.04.15

Share this post


Link to post

What a damn slog fest. I missed the live chat (and haven’t pursued it yet) and am propping open my eyeballs to finish this, otherwise I’ll probably just delete it. 
 

Has she been diagnosed with a thyroid issue, cause your eyeBALLZ are not supposed to project past your damn eyebrows. 

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

After a lot of thought, I think my worst annoyances with the patients on this show:

1. "Fast food (while they are eating 4 Big Macs and 3 large fries) is the only option right now". No, fast food is never the only option. And if you are so inclined to believe that, order a grilled chicken salad or grilled chicken sandwich sans bread.

2. When asked by Dr. Now why they decided to visit his office, every single damn one of them say "I need this weight loss surgery to lose weight", instead of "what do I need to do to be eligible for weight loss surgery?"

3. "I stuck strictly to your diet, so I don't know what happened" after a weight gain at their weigh-in, or a measly 4 pound loss over 2 munts.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

Apparently she saw this show as a back door audition for American Idol. 
 

2 hours of watching her back talk to the good doctor is Not Good Television. 

  • Like 16
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Leneatha dressed a lot better than most poundticipants. The purple top at the last appt was cute! She wasn't lazy, working all day at that weight must have been exhausting.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I had such high hopes because she was mobile, and was so sweet with her little girl.  I thought that would be the impetus to have her be a success.  That lasted all of 10 minutes.  Whenever she would clarify what Dr. Now was saying, she got it wrong, making up her own interpretation. 

Dr. Now is so over this but I love how he doesn't get flustered or angry when these patients fight with him.  He just keeps plugging along.  

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post

Missed live chat because I was too busy stuffing my face working my way back towards poundticipant status.  We shall see if I need to dig a pair of stretchy fat pants out from under the bed today.  Anyway...

I really wanted to like her.  She had a job, she wore clothes, had a supportive family, and didn't blame her weight on her life circumstances.  She got rid of the abusive husband and didn't blame the weight on that relationship.  

One thing that stood out to me was the breast reduction surgery causing lung issues.  Prednisone seems to be, in my fortunately limited experience, the main treatment and talk about instant weight gain!!  It makes you so hungry you don't want to stop eating and the weight piles on unbelievably fast.  It also sounded like she found it hard to keep up with doctor's appointments and as a diabetic I wonder if she was using insulin or an equivalent that makes it nearly impossible to lose weight.  I know Dr. Now would have been aware of that and it might have been dealt with off-camera.  The daughter was adorable, the family seemed lovely.

Cole slaw is full of sugar!!  And mayonnaise of course, but KFC tastes so nice because of the sugar.  At least she was getting grilled chicken instead of fried and turning sandwiches into salads.  She did try more than some of the others we've seen this year.  

I agree with the post in live chat that, as a diabetic, the standard advice for years was to be sure you ate often.  She probably heard this over and over so it sunk in.  I follow a Canadian doctor who recommends fasting for type 2 diabetics but they stress that insulin or other diabetes drugs need to be tightly controlled when you do this.  Leneatha seemed to find it hard to keep up with doctor appointments for herself so I'm not surprised the liquid diet idea scared her too much to try.  

The long video chats were boring.  She is someone I hope will be successful someday, but from last night's episode I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Edited by ThereButFor
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Another boring episode. The inherent problem with the structure of this show is that they don’t know how interesting or dull a particular poundticipant will be when they first start filming. They could follow these people around for months and have nothing of interest to show for their time. When some episodes say they follow the “journey” for six months, you know the producers decided to cut bait and that the person will drop out. That’s why we ended up with veteran reality show fame whore Ashley T, who they felt would at least bring the drama. 

Edited by Johnny Dollar
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

When some episodes say they follow the “journey” for six months, you know the producers decided to cut bait and that the person will drop out. 

I'm usually not good about this, but last night at the very beginning I was watching and saw the introductory screen that said this show followed nine months of a weight loss journey, so I figured something was up with that.

Too bad, because this woman has a life that 's so much better than most of the poundticipants. I remember some of them who literally were pushed, encouraged, babied, and worked with for months to just STAND UP on their feet, or walk more than a few steps. Who laid around like beached whales and had to be literally hauled like cargo when they left their homes.  

I hope Leneatha gets her head straight about her situation before she's bed-bound.

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post

This one was really disappointing. Such a cute little girl and she has a career? And why does focusing on her daughter's health mean she has to make three trips to Popeye's chicken a day?

  • Like 17
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Caring for her young daughter’s asthma made it too difficult to follow Dr. Now’s diet of 1200 calories? So she was giving up?  That doesn’t compute.  Surely it would be an impetus.

More needs to be done in terms of educating about portion control. Folk that eat a whole large pizza at one sitting  think that eating half that pizza is dieting and deprivation. 
 

Anyway this show’s formula needs a shake up 

 

 

  • Like 19
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I couldn’t understand why Len had so much trouble squishing into the van when she was perfectly able to get into the driver’s seat of her own car. 

  • Like 11
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

We DVR'd it last night and are watching it now.

Everything she talked about sounded like it was going to end with "so I have to eat . . . "

"My daughter needs to have additional breathing treatments for her asthma, so I have to eat while she's doing her treatments."

"I put my daughter as a priority right now, so I have to eat."

In reality, NOT eating all the time would give her more time to take care of her daughter.

You can't fix stupid or denial.

  • Like 18
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was sorry to see her fail.  She was not the usual bad childhood, my parents divorced, my daddy/mama didn't love me candidate.  But she made the same excuses.  Watching her work was painful to see.  How does she still have a job that requires her to walk the halls of a hospital?  Whenever I have visited someone at hospital its a lot of walking and usually get my 10K steps in.  Having to sit down on a bench in the hallway can't be good.  Just how much work does she get done during the day?

Her little girl was too cute and her family seemed to really care for her and supportive of her being in the program.  Why her sister did not follow through on making sure she ate correctly.  And the plates of fried food she ate at one sitting made my stomach queasy.  All carbs, empty calories and no nutritional value what's so ever. So much for her argument with Dr. Now.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, gaPeach said:

Having to sit down on a bench in the hallway can't be good.  Just how much work does she get done during the day?

Her little girl was too cute.

She mentioned at one point that her job was giving her trouble about taking so much time off work (for doctor visits for herself and her daughter).  It looked like she wasn't physically able to do her job as quickly, so was already possibly on thin ice for job performance.  

Her little girl WAS cute, but it was interesting that Len got two double cheeseburgers and a 20-piece nugget meal, but her little girl separate got a 4-nugget children's meal.  This woman couldn't even give her child 4 nuggets out of her 20?  

  • Like 15
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We DVR'd it last night and are watching it now.

Everything she talked about sounded like it was going to end with "so I have to eat . . . "

"My daughter needs to have additional breathing treatments for her asthma, so I have to eat while she's doing her treatments."

"I put my daughter as a priority right now, so I have to eat."

In reality, NOT eating all the time would give her more time to take care of her daughter.

You can't fix stupid or denial.

The "I have too much going on so I have to eat fast food" argument makes me want to just change the channel because I know this person isn't going to do shit for themselves. Since self-quarantine started I have been eating really horrible food and not cooking as much as I normally would — and I know I am eating my feelings and have to stop. I could give you a big sob story about all I have going on and all of my stress, but it has nothing to do with whether or not I have the time to not eat pop tarts all day. The whole "I'm taking care of X, they are my first priority," is SUCH bullshit. If her first priority really is her daughter, she'd do everything she could to get herself healthy so she can actually be alive for her daughter next year. 

This season has been a total dud so far. 

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Stiggs said:

The "I have too much going on so I have to eat fast food" argument makes me want to just change the channel because I know this person isn't going to do shit for themselves.

Even if we give them credit for "too much going on," WHY do they still have to eat such massive amounts of fast food?  ONE double cheeseburger with a side salad and NO large coke (no ice) would cost less, take less time to eat, and support weight loss.

There's only one person on earth who thinks Len has a reason to continue stuffing her face because she "has too much going on."  Leneatha.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Her little girl WAS cute, but it was interesting that Len got two double cheeseburgers and a 20-piece nugget meal, but her little girl separate got a 4-nugget children's meal.  This woman couldn't even give her child 4 nuggets out of her 20? 

Kids like Happy Meals. My kids aren't as thrilled when I buy a 20 piece nuggets and large fries, say, and have us all share it. Having your own Happy Meal is fun. It's been designed to be that way. 

  • Like 13
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I give Leneatha a year, maybe 2, before she can't do her work anymore and she files for disability. I also don't think she'll be around to see her daughter graduate high school.

I LOL'd at this blob's insistence that it was somehow insulting for Dr. Now to inform her that she literally could live for months, if not years, without eating (at her current weight).

  • Like 10
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, SDVegas said:

Kids like Happy Meals. My kids aren't as thrilled when I buy a 20 piece nuggets and large fries, say, and have us all share it. Having your own Happy Meal is fun. It's been designed to be that way. 

Well, my kids are 55 and 53, and I'm not sure if Happy Meals were a thing when they were kids.  LOL.

Thanks for the info.

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I actually liked her at first. I thought here is something we NEVER see, a person with a job, who had a happy childhood, and was not fat as a kid, and doesn't have enablers. I was sure she would be a success.

I also thought that 1200 calories was not going to be enough for her because she was working 40 hours a week, not lying in bed or sitting in a recliner. It makes a huge difference! She would certainly be more hungry on 1200 calories on her feet 8 hours a day then a bed bound. She could have lost 30 pound a munt on 1600 calories a day. I wish Dr. Now though would have explained to her that she was still eating 4000 calories a day. 

I know she was working full time but that means she had 2 days off a week. If she takes her daughter to the doctor and plays with her kid on one day, that left another whole day to shop and prep meals for the week. She could not be bothered. Yes she HAD to prepare meals and change her habit of getting food from a drive through. But it was possible and the sister said she would help. 

Taking a break? Meaning going back to eating sugary food every night to help you cope. I wanted to strangle her by the end!

  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Caring for her young daughter’s asthma made it too difficult to follow Dr. Now’s diet of 1200 calories? So she was giving up?  That doesn’t compute.  Surely it would be an impetus.

Yeah, I can see how it might prevent her actually having surgery, since that would make her unable to physically take care of her daughter for a bit (though she seemed to have at least a few people able to help with that), but it's no reason she can't eat properly.

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Her little girl WAS cute, but it was interesting that Len got two double cheeseburgers and a 20-piece nugget meal, but her little girl separate got a 4-nugget children's meal.  This woman couldn't even give her child 4 nuggets out of her 20?  

Her daughter at least looked like she had apple slices with her "meal" (chicken nuggets and apple slices not exactly being a real meal); I know McDonald's at least has that as an option instead of fries. Still would have been cheaper to just get some apples and give her a few of her nuggets. 

I also wondered if ordering a separate kids' meal with all the rest, in her mind, made it at least sound more like she was ordering for multiple people. Though I doubt she was fooling the employee at the drive thru. (A lot of binge eaters will go to multiple places just so they're not seen ordering an unreasonable amount of food from any one place. And if you order a large pizza and two side salads...it looks like you're ordering for at least two people, right?)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

She had a supportive friend who owned the gym, she had a supportive family. She should have succeeded.

I think she watched too much of Whitney Way Thore.  Whitney’s claim is that she eats only one meal a day (must last 12 hours).  However, you don’t get that big and you don’t stay that big without consuming thousands of calories a day.

 

  • Like 14
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm wondering if Dr. Now's long monologue on the weight loss program, and other speeches in the Leneatha episode was the end of filming for the season?    

I wondered how she's doing now, and ran across her old FB,  Leneathra Reed weight loss (the actual account is either hidden or gone).  Prevention magazine talked about her in January 2019, talking about her weight loss journey, she had lost 30 lbs since November 2018.   It features the gym that was shown on the episode. 

https://www.prevention.com/fitness/a25724922/leneathra-reed-viral-workout-video/

Her workout video was on Good Morning America too, in early 2019.     

I'm wondering about the name spelling difference.   

I can't find a current FB for her, (I'm also not great at finding FB accounts either).   But in some current interviews she says she's still trying to lose weight, and is working on something she can't talk about.    Since it's not Dr. Now's program, I'm guessing it's another miracle weight loss system.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

I had high hopes for this woman- for the first segment. She had decent clothes, she walks, she wore shoes, she had a cute child to motivate her, she had supportive family and friends.

That went downhill really fast. I am stymied by the excuses such as "I haven't had time to start the diet;" (you have to eat, how about just eating something on the "allowed list"?); "my daughter has needed breathing treatments so she's my priority right now;" (but you still have to consider your nutrition so just make better choices); "I'm not eating."

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering if Dr. Now's long monologue on the weight loss program, and other speeches in the Leneatha episode was the end of filming for the season?   

This was the last episode with new people.  Next week is time for revisiting past poundicipants, David, Benji and Erica are on the program.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I had a shred of hope for her UNTIL she said she "didn't have time" to try the 3-day liquid diet that Dr. Now suggested. It literally SAVES TIME to basically just drink protein shakes or Slim Fasts three times a day instead of cooking or schlepping your giant arse to the KFC.

  • Like 19
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Feeding her 2 yr old McDonald's burgers, fries and a mountain of Mcnuggets:

"Take another bite, you can take some more. I want to be an example for her"

How about you feed her healthy food?

She is using her as her fast food companion. 

 

  • Like 9
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, calpurnia99 said:

I actually liked her at first. I thought here is something we NEVER see, a person with a job, who had a happy childhood, and was not fat as a kid, and doesn't have enablers. I was sure she would be a success.

I also thought that 1200 calories was not going to be enough for her because she was working 40 hours a week, not lying in bed or sitting in a recliner. It makes a huge difference! She would certainly be more hungry on 1200 calories on her feet 8 hours a day then a bed bound. She could have lost 30 pound a munt on 1600 calories a day. I wish Dr. Now though would have explained to her that she was still eating 4000 calories a day. 

I know she was working full time but that means she had 2 days off a week. If she takes her daughter to the doctor and plays with her kid on one day, that left another whole day to shop and prep meals for the week. She could not be bothered. Yes she HAD to prepare meals and change her habit of getting food from a drive through. But it was possible and the sister said she would help. 

Taking a break? Meaning going back to eating sugary food every night to help you cope. I wanted to strangle her by the end!

Great insights @calpurnia99! I think that you're absolutely right. In this case, Dr. Now's "one-size-fits-all" diet plan just doesn't make sense. Interesting that a different amount of calories depending on a poundticipant's activity level doesn't seem to have ever been considered by him during all these years, at least I can't recall him ever mentioning it.

Would it have made a difference in her case? I really don't know but with her Miss "I got an answer for EVERYTHING" attitude--I kept yelling at the TV "shut up, shut up, just STFU" to no avail since she wouldn't 😁--I doubt it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Her whole argument of "maybe I'm not eating ENOUGH and that's why I'm not losing weight" is totally moot, because that's not how physics works. She claimed to be eating next to nothing, yet she wasn't even close to Dr. Now's projections. That shows that her idea of "next to nothing" is completely inaccurate, and we can't trust any of her self-reports on her consumption. She may indeed have been more active than other poundticipants, but the inability to lose weight isn't based on some fictional starvation mode that super morbidly obese people claim is debilitating their weight loss, but rather the fact that she is under-reporting her calories big time.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

10 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Great insights @calpurnia99! I think that you're absolutely right. In this case, Dr. Now's "one-size-fits-all" diet plan just doesn't make sense. Interesting that a different amount of calories depending on a poundticipant's activity level doesn't seem to have ever been considered by him during all these years, at least I can't recall him ever mentioning it.

Would it have made a difference in her case? I really don't know but with her Miss "I got an answer for EVERYTHING" attitude--I kept yelling at the TV "shut up, shut up, just STFU" to no avail since she wouldn't 😁--I doubt it.

I would buy this if she really had made an effort- ANY effort- to try the 1200 calorie diet; I don't think she gave it one single day. The other thing is that, as he said, when one is in a caloric deficit, the body can burn fat for energy (which she has plenty of). Thus his speech about "4 years worth" on her body (which she took to mean "you don't need to eat for 4  years." But 1200 calories, while MUCH less than she was used to consuming, is enough to sustain her as long as she starts using her fat stores for any other needed calories to sustain her activity. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Don't children, or anyone for that matter, breathe better in a home without piles of clutter? Through the years, I've rid my house of carpeting etc to help with my husband and daughters horrible allergies and it has helped a lot. Watching that adorable daughter pulled up onto Len's non-existent lap amidst the heaps of clothes and dust catchers with that little mask on was heart breaking. I would think someone in the health care field plus a history of lung issues would know this?

 

  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Her little girl WAS cute, but it was interesting that Len got two double cheeseburgers and a 20-piece nugget meal, but her little girl separate got a 4-nugget children's meal.  This woman couldn't even give her child 4 nuggets out of her 20?  

But the child's meal will come with a small drink, and possibly a toy, dessert, and its own side (fries, I would guess). 

The sweetest repair man came this morning to replace our wounded dish.  Now both tvs are up and running.  I was beginning to get used  to the silence.  For a week Sunday was the only day we had tv.  We turn it off for Good Friday and Holy Saturday so that was 2 days,  Then it was out mon - wed.   We actually watched a little from  the dvr on Monday until I wasn't fast enough to cancel the search for the next epi of Westworld at which the poor thing decided to start an eternal search for the satellite signal.  Looks like the southeast is in for another Sunday with unsettled  weather.

I am not sure when there will be an encore showing of this epi.  Based on the live chat which I was reading and commenting on last night, it looks like I didn't miss much so I will not go out of my way to see it.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, KateHearts said:

I would buy this if she really had made an effort- ANY effort- to try the 1200 calorie diet; I don't think she gave it one single day. The other thing is that, as he said, when one is in a caloric deficit, the body can burn fat for energy (which she has plenty of). Thus his speech about "4 years worth" on her body (which she took to mean "you don't need to eat for 4  years." But 1200 calories, while MUCH less than she was used to consuming, is enough to sustain her as long as she starts using her fat stores for any other needed calories to sustain her activity. 

Yeah, sad to say (sad not because of her but her innocent daughter) she seemed to be more interested in making excuses than really giving the diet her all. That's why I said that I doubt that more calories would make a difference in her case.

IMO, while diet is important, no matter how many calories it's composed of, attitude is EVERYTHING and her attitude stank. However, I think that with another very motivated, non-delusional, honest person who is mobile and has a full-time job, a couple hundred extra calories per day could be helpful.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I think Dr. Now gives them the 1,200 diet, knowing full well that NO ONE who has reached 600 pounds is really going to follow it.

I maintain that 2,400 calories a day (double his recommendation) would still result in a fairly good weight loss for people who are currently eating close to (or more than) 10,000 calories a day.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

The 1200 calorie diet that Dr. Now presecribes is not going to work for the people that come on this show for help. 

Before the pitchforks come out, let me explain. 

The diet lists what a participant may have, and possibly portion sizes. 

What they need is a no-choices program with a set menu and a shopping list. No choices, no changes.  Breakfast is this, lunch is this, dinner is this. Maybe give them an every-other-day rotation, but that's it. Yes, it's boring. The reason that it would work is that the participants are not good at planning or making decisions. If they know that breakfast is two eggs, a slice of whole wheat toast and an applesauce cup, lunch is a grilled or baked chicken breast, sliced tomatoes and steamed broccoli, and dinner is a beef patty, tossed salad and cup of vegetable soup, there's nothing to argue with. That's it. Here's your shopping list. Even if they "snuck" or "treated themselves" to double portions, they would still be able to adhere much better than if they are given a list of foods and expected to choose, balance and prepare their own meals. 

Meal prep can come later. Breaking their habit of gigantic portions and bad choices should be the first step. 

  • Like 17
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

The prepared meals are why some are so successful on the programs that sell you the food for all of your meals a day.    Of course, a friend of mine that was on one of those diets for a while, did call her meals 'gerbil food' too.  

I think that's way the Family by the Ton people are on liquid diets for a while before surgery, to see if they'll follow the program after surgery, and to give them a quick start on losing weight. 

I think Leneatha was only on the show to get on TV again.    I think her great attitude at the beginning was all an act, and she never intended to lose more weight, or even try to do what Dr. Now required.   

The other shows she's been on are posted above, on this page.   Prevention magazine highlighted her, she was on Good Morning America, when she lost the initial 30 lbs from November 2018 to January 2019.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I think Dr. Now gives them the 1,200 diet, knowing full well that NO ONE who has reached 600 pounds is really going to follow it.

I maintain that 2,400 calories a day (double his recommendation) would still result in a fairly good weight loss for people who are currently eating close to (or more than) 10,000 calories a day.

every once in a blue moon, we get someone who really does the 1200 to the letter. These few people who follow it lose much more than the goal. There was that black guy  with the nice gf who played the guitar with the pony tail, for example- sorry can't remember his name. He stuck to it and instead of 30 pound in one munt, he lost 50 pounds. Dr. Now knows this too, that his goal can be reached on 2000 a day or 1200 plus a few slip ups. So when they lose less than the goal he knows they are very much overeating. When they are supposed to lose 60 and they think Dr. Now is gonna be happy with 25 lost, well no because if you actually followed the diet you would have lost 80-100.

Some of them act like I would act like if told to lose 30 pounds in one month. A normal weight person can't lose 30 pounds in a month but a 600 pound person can easily lose that. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I think Len’s job was probably a life saver. It seemed from the footage we saw that the job entails walking, delivering items, etc.  There was a lot of drama and huffing and puffing for the camera,  but moving about is likely the only thing stopping her from developing one of those giant lymphomas and ultimately becoming bedridden. Then how would she care for her child?

The Dr. Now interactions went on for too long. I don’t know how he stays so patient.

I’m assuming TLC foots the bill for the surgery?  I want to see some success stories.  It seems ages since we saw the doctor actually doing surgery.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I think Dr. Now gives them the 1,200 diet, knowing full well that NO ONE who has reached 600 pounds is really going to follow it.

I maintain that 2,400 calories a day (double his recommendation) would still result in a fairly good weight loss for people who are currently eating close to (or more than) 10,000 calories a day.

The suuuuuuper long office visit where she was crying and insisting she wasn't eating all day long, at first I wanted to step into the screen and explain what Dr. Now was trying to say to her. She was defensive, and part of me understood that no, you work in a hospital, I know you sure as shit aren't sitting around eating all day. And I had no doubt that she was doing her version of trying. But I felt like Dr. Now was using a few words that were triggering her, like "perception," and that this lady had too much pride and maybe needed a different approach. And then I just realized that she had already decided what "trying" looked like, and there was no convincing her otherwise. 

Almost all of the patients on this show say "I know the surgery isn't magic," but I think most of them actually do believe that. I think Leneatha thought she could get the surgery and her problems would be over. And because she is mobile, literate, and living in the world - which is a rarity for this show - I think she thought she didn't need to have her hand held. But when you're trying to stick to a 1200 a day diet and you rattle off "cheese" as something you're going to eat, I question your commitment, lol. The first time I did weight watchers, someone told me that cutting out cheese and mayo would be easy, that I wouldn't miss them. I was like, you lying whore, I will miss my loves, cheese and mayo. But they were actually right. After two weeks or so I didn't miss them. Now - when I took a bite of real ice cream for the first time five years later, I swear to god I could not stop and I inhaled the entire quart standing in the kitchen. 

My point is that Leneatha didn't stick to anything long enough to get used to it. And when I saw she had a job I really had hopes, man. WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU! She was already active enough that, had she stuck to Dr. Now's diet, she could have lost a ton of weight before surgery. So disappointed! This season really has just had some duds. 

 

 

Edited by Stiggs
  • Like 17
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

"I don't have the time to do the program because I have to take care of my daughter" -- well of course this is BS, we all know it is, but let's think about her daughter.  Someday she's going to see this and understand it.  Her mother may be alive, or may be bedbound, or may be dead.  Think of all the years and thousands of dollars of therapy it's going to take to strip away that guilt.  Even if she knows it's BS the way we do, mothers can do a helluva number on daughters with crap like that.  

I did spend the first 10 minutes thinking I was going to root for this lady.  Oh well.

  • Like 10
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The prepared meals are why some are so successful on the programs that sell you the food for all of your meals a day.    Of course, a friend of mine that was on one of those diets for a while, did call her meals 'gerbil food' too.  

I think that's way the Family by the Ton people are on liquid diets for a while before surgery, to see if they'll follow the program after surgery, and to give them a quick start on losing weight. 

I think Leneatha was only on the show to get on TV again.    I think her great attitude at the beginning was all an act, and she never intended to lose more weight, or even try to do what Dr. Now required.   

 

Wait, Leneatha (the pharmacy tech with the 2 year old) was on tv before? When? 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, dahling said:

"I don't have the time to do the program because I have to take care of my daughter" -- well of course this is BS, we all know it is, but let's think about her daughter.  Someday she's going to see this and understand it.  Her mother may be alive, or may be bedbound, or may be dead.  Think of all the years and thousands of dollars of therapy it's going to take to strip away that guilt.  Even if she knows it's BS the way we do, mothers can do a helluva number on daughters with crap like that.  

I did spend the first 10 minutes thinking I was going to root for this lady.  Oh well.

I think her daughter will be able to see through it. I'm biased, but I had a "look what I did for you!" mother. She was an ok person in general, but could never take responsibility for decisions that were selfish, so framed them as being "for her kids".

Kids can smell those unrealistic "sacrifices" a mile away. Her daughter might need therapy from the eyestrain of rolling her eyes over her mother's excuse to quit. 

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Stiggs said:

This season has been a total dud so far. 

AGREED!!!! If this show actually makes it another season next year, cut it down to an hour. Especially if the participant doesn't even have the surgery. Because two hours is too long and drawn out and ends up being filler crap for someone who is full of one excuse after another on why he/she didn't follow the plan. Almost every episode this season was like Groundhog Day and a boring, frustrating one at that. 

Dr. Now deserves better than this. He gave it a good run and helped the ones who truly wanted it. The others, are a waste of his time, energy and good heart. 

  • Like 12
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I listed the ones I found in my posting at the top of this page.   She's been on Good Morning America (I think by video), Prevention magazine, and used to have a FB about her weight loss 'journey' back in November 2018 where she lost 30 lbs.    She claims in another article (a recent one) that she's working on her 'journey' and will have big news soon.   Doubt it's with Dr. Now's program.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Burning Rubber said:

Feeding her 2 yr old McDonald's burgers, fries and a mountain of Mcnuggets:

"Take another bite, you can take some more. I want to be an example for her"

How about you feed her healthy food?

She is using her as her fast food companion. 

 

I caught her saying that as well. She’s setting up that little sweet baby to have her own food issues. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Stiggs said:

The first time I did weight watchers, someone told me that cutting out cheese and mayo would be easy, that I wouldn't miss them. I was like, you lying whore, I will miss my loves, cheese and mayo

I don't often laugh out loud reading posts but the 'you lying whore' did it for me.  

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I listed the ones I found in my posting at the top of this page.   She's been on Good Morning America (I think by video), Prevention magazine, and used to have a FB about her weight loss 'journey' back in November 2018 where she lost 30 lbs.    She claims in another article (a recent one) that she's working on her 'journey' and will have big news soon.   Doubt it's with Dr. Now's program.     

The producers seem to be using other sources to find new poundicipants. She was on GMA and in Prevention magazine and Ashley T was on Catfished. Could the country really be running out of people willing to degrade themselves on national television!  Oh the horror!

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Well, my kids are 55 and 53, and I'm not sure if Happy Meals were a thing when they were kids.  LOL.

Thanks for the info.

I'm 53 and we didn't have them. YOu just ordered a hamburger and fries and were happy about that.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
PrincessPurrsALot

Leneatha represents only Leneatha. Do not extrapolate from her to others of her race, class, gender or any other category.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size