Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: The Professionals

Trini
  • Start Topic

After a catastrophic turn of events, Malcolm and Ainsley are convinced there's more to Nicholas Endicott (guest star Dermot Mulroney) than meets the eye. Their only hope just might be an impromptu Whitly family reunion.

Airdate: April 20, 2020

prodigal-son-season1-episode19b-580x386.

Edited by Trini

This was a really good episode! At least one of my shows is going out on a strong note. I hope this gets renewed.

But I think the coloring they do on this show detracts more than it enhances. I hope they change that.

I think I'm worried about Ainsley the most.

• Love 5

Augh! Cliffhanger! And only one episode left to resolve it?

That smile Martin made to Malcolm just before he popped out the assasin's eyes. I think he missed killing so much. Show. Never change.

1999 Martin was less twitchy then modern day Martin. And just like Endicott predicted he became real squirrely over time. Guess that's why he's desperate for communication/relationship with his family. And I think if he wasn't completely insane in 1999 I think he's honestly unhinged now.

"I forbid you from continuing this investigation." Sure Martin.

Did Endicott rope Ainsley into his web tempting her like the devil? Or does he plan to kill her?

There has to be one ace left for Martin to play. Because I can't believe he'll let Endicott frame his son for murder.

• Love 4

The Whitly's vs Endicott makes for an interesting setup for the finale.

I still say that the police procedural is still the weakest aspect for me.  I did however find the Jessica and Gil scenes fascinating.  Now I am shipping Jessica and Gil as my favorite Jessica/non serial killer pairing.   What?  I always prefer Jessica with a serial killer.  We all have a type.  

I am curious where the show is going with Ainsly and having her playing games with Endicott.  I am still hoping that they take her down the same dark road they are taking Malcolm.  Because that would be incredibly fascinating that while everyone is so worried about poor Malcolm it is actually Ainsly who takes after Martin.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am curious where the show is going with Ainsly and having her playing games with Endicott.  I am still hoping that they take her down the same dark road they are taking Malcolm.  Because that would be incredibly fascinating that while everyone is so worried about poor Malcolm it is actually Ainsly who takes after Martin.

I've definitely remained convinced that it'll be Ainsley who goes down that dark route over Malcolm, and this episode kind of solidified that. As much as it seems like Nicholas might try to kill Ainsley, especially once he catches on to the family knowing about him (if he already doesn't know), he might try a different path with her instead. 

No surprise that Eve is dead. I think I said early on that I got the feeling that Eve would be dead by the end of the season. It does suck for Malcolm, who did look torn up about her death. 

Nicholas vs the Whitlys. That could be a fun turn. I doubt it will be solved by next week's finale, so should the show get renewed for a second season, I'm curious to see the fallout of what happens there. I mean, logically, you have a man that powerful for that long, there's not much you can do to stop him from his evil doings, as he has plenty of people behind him. So even if Ainsley decided to kill Nicholas, for example, I'm sure he has protocols in place for his successors who know what he's up to. 

But still, it would be easy to just sic Martin on Nicholas and just kill him off. 

Jessica/Gil went there, both in the past and in the present, but I'm not shocked. I'm into it, but I do now have to officially worry about Gil. If Martin doesn't try to kill him, Nicholas surely will. 

No way was Martin actually giving up to the goon strangling him, so I like the interpretation above that he was playing dead to get the upper hand before Malcolm showed up.

That cliffhanger, though. I fully expected Malcolm to be framed for murder eventually, so I guess the finale is the best time to explore that! I wouldn't be surprised if Malcolm did initially try to torture Eve's killer and that's how he got DNA under his fingernails, but we know that Nicholas had someone finish the job so it'll be a matter of how that is proven. 

• Love 4

I personally think Martin in prison has a short shelf life so having a big bad for the family the come together and fight against and have Martin “escape” or be let out for whatever reason would be an interesting development and would allow him more ability to mess with Jessica Ainsley and Malcolm which is why I think framing Malcolm for a murder and then having this whole big great escape plan or even this is how the world really sees you Malcolm and always will is a great development for the finale.   It pulls at Malcolm’s competing forces.   

I like Martin in prison/institution, I hope he stays.

When did Gil and Mama Whitley first get the hots for each other. Thex way they talked it seemed like they might have known each other as teens/young adults, other times it seemed like they were attracted to each other during Papa Whitley's murder investigation.

Are you guys sure that Gil's wife is still in the picture.

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I didn't like Edrisa in this episode at all.  I thought she was disrespectful to the "drowning victim".  She backed off when she found out Malcolm knew that murdered woman.  Still, it showed a part of Edrisa that I didn't like.   She comes off as two-faced.

I saw Edrisa as professional. I thought it was Malcolm who was disrespectful during that scene. To Edrisa it was a another dead body, she had no clue that Eve was important to Malcolm. Malcolm interrupted Edrisa while she was taping her notes for the autopsy. When Edrisa found out that Malcolm didn't think it was a suicide, Edrisa went above and beyond to prove his theory was correct.

It was good that Malcolm questioned the hitman right away before he was killed, maybe he got some vital clues that might have been lost if the hitman had died first.

Edited by AnimeMania
added stuff
  • Love 5

I figured that Eve was not long for this world, but still, poor Eve. And poor Malcolm, the guy really doesn't need anymore trauma. Eve and her sister really do just have the worst kind of luck, constantly in the sights of some super villain or serial killer no matter. 

Also, poor Jessica, she really has the worst luck with men. "Another swing and a miss in the romance department!" But it sounds like she and Gil almost had a thing...and now they will try again?! I am totally shipping it, both because I love both Gil and Jessica and think they would be good together, and because I know it would drive Martin totally nuts. Gil would have replaced him as Jessica's main squeeze and as Malcolm's father figure. If he takes Ainsley to a father/daughter dance, Martins head might actually explode. 

Of course, that might be a bit complicated by Gil having to arrest Malcolm for killing the hitman. Well, I guess Malcolm had to be framed or suspected of a crime at some point, it seems like Nicholas probably did it, but could he be working with Martin? Martin is going to make Malcolm even more indebted to him when he saves him from being set up for murder? Poor guy is not going to have fun in prison. Or maybe we have all the Whitleys having to team up to take down a Greater Evil.

"She has a troubled past!"

"I have a troubled past!"

"She was taking medication!"

"I take medication!"

I liked the female assassin who went off to do a job for the CIA. She had this very calm coldness to her, I wouldn't mind seeing her pop up again. 

I have suspected for awhile that Ainsley might be the kid who takes after Martin, and now that Nicholas has offered up a deal with the devil, will she end up saying yes?! I thought that maybe I was wrong about Ainsley, and that after her boyfriend dumped her she pulled back from the dark side, but...

I really hope we get a season two, I like this show a lot and I think that in its latter half its really found its voice and come into its own.

• Love 3

I didn't expect Martin to poke the killer's eyes out.   That was gross.

This is Martin. There's a reason why Mr. David keeps warning visitors to stay behind the red line. He's been out of the killing business for so long he's hungry for any opportunity to inflict some violence. The efficient way he disarmed the assasin and knocked him down showed the killer is always there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Meh, I don't buy that Malcolm was ever really that into Eve so I'm just "whatever" about her death.  I'm still not clear on the reason Martin let her sister live. He still could've killed her after she spilled whatever beans she had on Endicott. And what did she do for Endicott anyway?  I have questions!

Gil and Jessica...I'm here for it.  It sounds to me like they may have started something after Martin was arrested.  I can see Gil being the concerned cop who develops a soft spot for little Malcolm, starts checking in on him and he and Jessica get closer, perhaps an understanding shoulder for her to cry/lean on.  I love that he told her she was always good enough.  

Nightingale assassin lady...was that Mercedes from the Count of Monte Cristo movie with Jim Caviezel?   *ETA: yep, it's her.  She's still gorgeous.*

I sure hope Mr. David is okay. 

Edited by rove4

The lady assassin will probably take out the big bad next episode.

A rich 15 years younger Jessica would be a catch.

I think Malcolm really did like Eve because she did come back after he almost knifed her in his sleep after they had sex. Broken people tend to fall for other broken people who can understand them.

They have to do something exciting with Ainsley as a cliff hanger or why even have her on the show.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, redfish said:

This is Martin. There's a reason why Mr. David keeps warning visitors to stay behind the red line. He's been out of the killing business for so long he's hungry for any opportunity to inflict some violence. The efficient way he disarmed the assasin and knocked him down showed the killer is always there.

I loved that scene so much, Michael Sheen played it to the hilt. It was the grossly hilarious result of a massive miscalculation on the part of the assassin. Like, a way less classy dude just would have been all, "B*tch did you forget that I AM A SERIAL KILLER?!" It's even more effective non-verbally, with his eyes all full of the kind of ghoulish glee that has only been hinted at in Martin's other appearances (in therapy, or playing head games with - well, everybody). Finally, FINALLY something he could sink his teeth into, and he wasn't going to let it pass. It was the first time Malcolm had ever seen his father in full "The Surgeon" mode, that was clear. His was very much the reaction of one who had always been told something was a certain way, but had never actually seen it with his own eyes until now. For us too, really, the culmination of an entire season of being told that Martin is a murderer and is cool with that, and seeing bits and pieces of it, and suddenly there it is, in all of its glory. Well done, show.

• Love 7

Was he called the surgeon because he was a doctor in his day job or because he liked to creatively cut up people with absolute precision or make art of them?

I would kill for Mads Mikkelsen to have a part in season 2 as a therapist for Martin, or he could just bring him special dinners.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, rove4 said:

Meh, I don't buy that Malcolm was ever really that into Eve so I'm just "whatever" about her death.  I'm still not clear on the reason Martin let her sister live. He still could've killed her after she spilled whatever beans she had on Endicott. And what did she do for Endicott anyway?  I have questions!

I didn't buy the relationship between them either, it seems like they dated a few times and that was it. I understand Malcolm's being hurt that she died and was murdered and want's to find out who/why but Eve's character wasn't developed enough for me to care if she's on the show anymore. I want to know what her sister had on Endicott too, it can't just be "you can't say no to him" I wish they would've showed the whole conversation. Maybe now that Eve is dead she'll come out of the shadows?

I had to laugh a little when after the attack and Martin was clearly going to kill the assassin he sat on the bed and said, "it's a good thing you got here, I was being severely attacked" or something like that, in a very clam voice. Then he was so pleased he got to meet JT.

I thought the flow of the last scene was weird, it's almost like they just threw it in there. I mean we see Malcom at the hospital then cut he's having a dream/vision of Eve then they break the door down. And why break his door down, why not knock or Gil call and have him come down to the station? I thought that was a little much.

One thing I had to roll my eyes at was Malcolm knew who the assassin was because he had a hoodie on to hide his ears. Maybe it was to obscure his face Malcolm, you know like most bad people do. But no it's to hide his "cauliflower ears" lol. 

• Love 1

They better not have hurt Mr. David in order to get the hit man into the cell with Martin!

I hope this series is renewed-it's one of my favorites.  The replacement guard/hit man acted like such a dufus I never saw it coming until the reveal that he was going to try to kill Martin (ha, bless his heart...).

I hope something finally happens with Ainsley.  I find her the most boring character in the show.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

They better not have hurt Mr. David in order to get the hit man into the cell with Martin!

Him and Edrisa are off-limits!

• Love 3

This episode was so weird. The whole thing felt like a fantasy, from a female super assassin 🙄 to Martin popping out the guy’s eyes like he was The Mountain from GOT 😵🤮 to Gil arresting Malcolm for murder. It all seemed so oddly over the top in an unreal way.

• Love 1
On 4/21/2020 at 11:34 AM, AnimeMania said:

Remember there were supposed to be two episodes between the one you last saw and this one.

Wait what? Did they not air two episodes? I just thought they took a break. The episode from 3/30 is listed as #18 and this one says it’s #19.

33 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Wait what? Did they not air two episodes? I just thought they took a break. The episode from 3/30 is listed as #18 and this one says it’s #19.

This article about how the pandemic shutdowns have affected Fox programming mentions the reason for the out of order filming: 

But a lucky scheduling predicament helped Fox have a proper ending for its breakout freshman drama Prodigal Son. Because of a theater commitment in London for star Michael Sheen, episodes were shot out of order, so the Season 1 finale was filmed early. While the season will be two episodes short, the stand-alone episodes do not interfere with the overreaching season arc, which will come to a conclusion in the finale.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/fox-entertainment-suddenly-well-suited-weather-covid-19-shutdown-wwe-animation-fewer-pilots-1202897342/

Edited by AnimeMania
TRYING TO QUOTE FROM ANOTHER THREAD AND FAILING
  • Useful 5
On 4/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Malcolm did initially try to torture Eve's killer and that's how he got DNA under his fingernails, but we know that Nicholas had someone finish the job so it'll be a matter of how that is proven. 

"my business trades in the science of the human body. That's helped me realize that there's one form of leverage that trumps all the others. So I use it."

Wouldn't be surprised if Nicholas managed to get DNA samples from the whole family and synthesize it in his labs.

On 4/21/2020 at 11:17 AM, AnimeMania said:

When did Gil and Mama Whitley first get the hots for each other. Thex way they talked it seemed like they might have known each other as teens/young adults, other times it seemed like they were attracted to each other during Papa Whitley's murder investigation.

I think the missed opportunity was after Martin was arrested and while Gil was helping mentor Malcolm as a kid. She didn't feel worthy because of the whole 'dating a serial killer / not trusting love' thing.

On 4/21/2020 at 10:19 PM, UnknownK said:

Was he called the surgeon because he was a doctor in his day job or because he liked to creatively cut up people with absolute precision or make art of them?

I assume the latter because that was his serial killer moniker before they knew who he actually was.

• Love 1
On 4/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, Risky Librarian said:

I loved that scene so much, Michael Sheen played it to the hilt. It was the grossly hilarious result of a massive miscalculation on the part of the assassin. Like, a way less classy dude just would have been all, "B*tch did you forget that I AM A SERIAL KILLER?!" It's even more effective non-verbally, with his eyes all full of the kind of ghoulish glee that has only been hinted at in Martin's other appearances (in therapy, or playing head games with - well, everybody). Finally, FINALLY something he could sink his teeth into, and he wasn't going to let it pass. It was the first time Malcolm had ever seen his father in full "The Surgeon" mode, that was clear. His was very much the reaction of one who had always been told something was a certain way, but had never actually seen it with his own eyes until now. For us too, really, the culmination of an entire season of being told that Martin is a murderer and is cool with that, and seeing bits and pieces of it, and suddenly there it is, in all of its glory. Well done, show.

This may sound awful but I thought that scene was hysterical.  Martin was in full serial killer mode.  The real funny part,  if I can call it funny was when it was all over and the team was inside Martin's cell, Dani said, "JT are you good?"  Suddenly Martin's eyes opened up and he said, "So you're JT, I've finally met the team, hi, I'm Martin."  Then Dani gave him a WTF look.

I never bought that Malcolm was into Eve, I sensed zero chemistry from them.  I get more chemistry from Malcolm and Dani. 

On 4/22/2020 at 11:45 AM, foxfreakinmulder said:

One thing I had to roll my eyes at was Malcolm knew who the assassin was because he had a hoodie on to hide his ears. Maybe it was to obscure his face Malcolm, you know like most bad people do. But no it's to hide his "cauliflower ears" lol. 

It was also the white pants he always wore, Malcolm guessed correctly that it was a uniform.  I think it was also the earbuds in his ears as well?

Wouldn't the DNA under the killer's fingernails be from Martin? 

I laughed when Dani cuffed the CIA assassin and she looked at Dani and said, "CIA?" and then Dani said, "NYPD."

• Love 1

I totally missed something here!  The last I saw, Malcolm was opening the door to Cauliflower's room while the credits rolled.  Then it was just ads and some show with JJ Watt started, no Eve, no fingernails, no Malcolm arrest, no scenes from our next episode, nothing.

Can somebody please catch me up?

I love how Michael Sheen can go from frightened victim to scary psycho to delighted host all in the blink of an eye (forgive me, I couldn't resist) without speaking a word.

7 hours ago, Sile said:

I totally missed something here!  The last I saw, Malcolm was opening the door to Cauliflower's room while the credits rolled.  Then it was just ads and some show with JJ Watt started, no Eve, no fingernails, no Malcolm arrest, no scenes from our next episode, nothing.

We saw Malcolm go into Eddie's hospital room, but not what happened in there. Then there's a scene of Malcolm at home, when his team (plus SWAT, or similar) bust in to arrest him to the murder of Eddie, saying that his DNA was found on the body. Malcolm declares that he's innocent.

Regarding Malcolm and Eve, I think he did like her, but I think he's also upset that he couldn't protect her.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, springbarb said:

We saw Malcolm go into Eddie's hospital room, but not what happened in there. Then there's a scene of Malcolm at home, when his team (plus SWAT, or similar) bust in to arrest him to the murder of Eddie, saying that his DNA was found on the body. Malcolm declares that he's innocent.

Regarding Malcolm and Eve, I think he did like her, but I think he's also upset that he couldn't protect her.

Thanks!  My local channel must have lopped off the closing scene somehow.  People's comments make a lot more sense now.

I smell Endicott's hand in all of this.  Although a good lawyer (maybe Endicott actually wants to be his white knight) could certainly make hash of the DNA since they had contact with each other more than once.  Or even transfer DNA from Martin.

4 hours ago, springbarb said:

I think it's also worth noting that Malcolm was having visions of Eve (the same way he used to have visions of Girl in the Box) before the police came in.

Here's a clip of the closing scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCfjA12al0A

On 4/21/2020 at 8:28 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

I like how Martin played possum for a bit until he heard Malcolm screaming for him.

You thought he was playing possum? I didn't even think about that!! I thought the bad guy was succeeding!!  I also thought that Martin was going through the man's brain at first!!! His eyes YOWZA!!

On 4/21/2020 at 10:24 AM, Lady Calypso said:

No surprise that Eve is dead. I think I said early on that I got the feeling that Eve would be dead by the end of the season. It does suck for Malcolm, who did look torn up about her death. 

Too bad she had to die. I hated them together, because she looked too much like his sister. Gross. I hate that he was hurting because she broke up with him. 😞  I really love him with Adrisa and Dani!!! He has chemistry with both of them.

I just started watching this show on Hulu and just finished this episode. I have to say, I'm really annoyed that they killed off Eve. I thought she was cute with Malcolm but the main reason I'm mad they killed her off is that it just seemed so unnecessary. She was already leaving, did they really have to kill her off? Couldn't the writers just have her travel the country in hopes of finding her sister instead of giving Malcolm/The Whitly's yet another tragedy they have to face?

The whole girl in the box storyline turning into Endicott being the main villain really seems so convoluted and out of left field. I mean we saw a younger Malcolm visiting Martin in a not so cozy cell in the first episode. So now because of Endicott, he was always in that larger cell? It just doesn't make sense. I wish the Junkyard Killer arc had lasted the whole season instead of wrapping up so quickly, it was a lot more interesting than this arc.

I don't know If I would have liked extending the Junkyard Killer arc, but I agree that they didn't need to kill off Eve just so there's more tragedy for Malcolm.