Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
legaleagle53

Swimming: Aquaman, Eat Your Heart Out!

I had a wee crush on Thorpe back when he debuted at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. Great body like most swimmers, Ok face (much better than Phelps) and he usually seemed nice in interviews. I haven't really kept up with him over the years, but that's cool that he came out.

Maybe Phelps will admit to being a stoner and Lochte is an arse.

• Like 1

I had a wee crush on Thorpe back when he debuted at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. Great body like most swimmers, Ok face (much better than Phelps) and he usually seemed nice in interviews. I haven't really kept up with him over the years, but that's cool that he came out.

Maybe Phelps will admit to being a stoner and Lochte is an arse.

And that water is wet and ice is cold.

• Like 1

Not a huge surprise.  That rumor has been out there for years; it's just taken a long time for Thorpe to get over his own denial, and speculation is that it was a contributing factor to why he was in inpatient rehab for depression and drug & alcohol problems earlier this year. Summary here for those who can't get the Australian broadcast:

http://www.swimvortex.com/the-bigger-issues-on-ian-thorpe-health-happiness-depression-loneliness-more/

Hope he can go forward and find peace in his life.

• Like 2

So Phelps is arrested for a second DUI, and has entered rehab. Court date in November. USA Swimming has served him a six month suspension (though he can still train at NBAC) and he was withdrawn from the Worlds team (apparently by mutual agreement with USA Swimming). Since Worlds is the last big international competition before Rio, does this effectively kill his come back? Or could he still potentially swim at Nationals and get a spot to swim at the Trials?

I am wondering that if Michael completes treatment, pays his fines/serves jail time/does community service, and serves his suspension, if USA Swimming might potentially reinstate him for Worlds pending good behavior? Especially since it looks like they agreed upon the withdrawal, perhaps they are hedging their bets that he'll get back on the straight and narrow after all this passes.

There are lot of divided opinions about this but, no matter how good a swimmer he is and how much USA Swimming "needs" him to be seen, with a second DUI, I think this seems like a pretty fair punishment (in addition to whatever jail time/community service/fines he will have). He clearly has difficulty making sound decisions on occasion-- at least three that we know about. I love Phelps as a swimmer but I really hope he gets his head on straight with rehab/treatment, as his lapses in judgement seem to result in some pretty terrible "mistakes" and he doesn't seem to have learned his lesson.

USA Swimming is deep enough that it's not too unusual for one of the big names to botch the annual international A squad/national team selection meet and miss qualifying for Worlds/Olympics/Pan Pacs and then successfully come back the following year just fine. The issue tends to be if you're at the level where you can final at the big international meets but don't quite have the sponsorship deals coming in- getting named to the US National Team (which is different than getting named to an Olympic or World Championships team, though there's usually about a 90% overlap between those two lists) gets you about a $38K a year stipend plus full health insurance and some additional endorsement deals from USA Swimming if you've got a Top 12-16 (it varies every year) World ranking in at least one event.

So if you're on the fringes, national team status can make the difference of whether you can afford to train another year. But for someone like Phelps, even if he had a massive bad luck streak while gambling, he still doesn't need the national team money.

Phelps' withdrawl means that Tim Phillips gets added to the 2015 World Championships squad in the 100 fly, and his other slots look like they roll down to swimmers already selected to the WC team. Not sure how the National Team spots shake out.

I don't see USA Swimming reinstating Phelps, and suspect that there was an agreement made in conference call among Chuck Wiegus, Bob

Bowman, Phelps, and USAS' legal counsel.

Phelps has already met time standards for the 2016 USA Olympic Trials- Qualifying period started on July 30, 2014, and both summer nationals and Pan Pacs were after that date. So he's qualified for Trials in the 100 free, 100 back, 100 fly, and 200 IM. (Don't remember if he's got a 200 free time from Pan Pacs, and those results aren't nicely up on Omega Timing's web site.)

Edited by selkie

In swimming news: Phelps might possibly be reinstated for Worlds. Can't say I'm totally surprised, though nothing has been announced yet and I also wouldn't be surprised if he still missed it.

In sad news, French gold medalist Camille Muffat was killed in a helicopter crash in Argentina. So sad-- I remember when she won her gold medal in London. Apparently Alain Bernard was also supposed to be in one of the two helicopters that crashed, but was placed in another due to weight restriction.

Edited by catray

Camille was always described as a quiet, shy sort. Reports from her boyfriend are that she was very happy during filming, and people might have really seen her coming out of her shell during the show.

The show's contestants really were  A-list of French sport outside of soccer. Cyclist Jeanne Luongo and figure skater Phillippe Candalero were also part of the cast that wasn't on the helicopters.

I absolutely love swimming and have been in the water since I was a baby. I currently am finishing up my Senior Year of High School on our Swim Team and I also swim for a local Swim Club. During the Summer I am a Lifeguard and now work at the Swim Club teaching little kids how to swim Part Time. Swimming is so great for exercise as well as I train and work on my swim strokes and stamina 6 days a week.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2017 at 3:46 PM, Splishy Splashy said:

I absolutely love swimming and have been in the water since I was a baby. I currently am finishing up my Senior Year of High School on our Swim Team and I also swim for a local Swim Club. During the Summer I am a Lifeguard and now work at the Swim Club teaching little kids how to swim Part Time. Swimming is so great for exercise as well as I train and work on my swim strokes and stamina 6 days a week.

It sounds as though we may see you in Tokyo in 2020, or maybe at the Olympics in 2024.  Is that one of your life goals?  :)

• Like 1

This is somewhat off topic, but still wanted (had) to share... My family runs a non-profit with a mission of increasing awareness of SIDS and educating families about safe sleep (Charlie's Kids Foundation, named after my nephew Charlie who died at 3 weeks from SIDS). As part of our education component, we distribute a children's board book we created called Sleep Baby Safe and Snug. We distribute them in 48 states through hospitals, departments of health, pediatricians and community based organizations. 

Well, color me surprised last night when I saw Ryan Lochte reading it aloud to his new baby Caiden in a video posted to his instagram! ACK! I admit to always thinking he's a tool (vandalizing a gas station?? REALLY??), but right here he has made me a fan for life. :-)

(as a former butterflyer with the shoulders to prove it, I have long chosen Phelps over Lochte... Looks like I will have to root on both now!)

"Sleep sleep my son."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

This is somewhat off topic, but still wanted (had) to share... My family runs a non-profit with a mission of increasing awareness of SIDS and educating families about safe sleep (Charlie's Kids Foundation, named after my nephew Charlie who died at 3 weeks from SIDS). As part of our education component, we distribute a children's board book we created called Sleep Baby Safe and Snug. We distribute them in 48 states through hospitals, departments of health, pediatricians and community based organizations. 

Well, color me surprised last night when I saw Ryan Lochte reading it aloud to his new baby Caiden in a video posted to his instagram! ACK! I admit to always thinking he's a tool (vandalizing a gas station?? REALLY??), but right here he has made me a fan for life. :-)

(as a former butterflyer with the shoulders to prove it, I have long chosen Phelps over Lochte... Looks like I will have to root on both now!)

"Sleep sleep my son."

I think fatherhood is going to do for Ryan what it did for Bode Miller.  Bode really grew up and matured after his daughter was born, and I can see Ryan undergoing the same type of transformation as he raises Caiden.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

I think fatherhood is going to do for Ryan what it did for Bode Miller.  Bode really grew up and matured after his daughter was born, and I can see Ryan undergoing the same type of transformation as he raises Caiden.

fingers crossed! it's certainly worked for Michael.

• Like 2