Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity IOU - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
53 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Thank you!  Because I definitely saw the commercial preview!  Stupid PVR system.

I actually saw a preview for the episode on either Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood a week or so ago. I'm pretty sure our owner was told a while ago when the episode would be airing, I vaguely remember hearing the date at that time. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 1
On 6/4/2022 at 11:38 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The Property Brothers having someone on the show who has been accused of rape by 3 different women is really not a good look for them. 

Which celebrity is that?

Sorry, Halle Berry strikes me as always giving a version of her Oscar speech.

Some weirdness: Halle remembering the radiator didn’t work great. Also Halle: Haven’t been in Ohio for 20 years. That family had been freezing their asses off all that time?

Why were they wearing the same clothes I the opening and the reveal? The 5-week later reveal!

At least I could find through the tons of ads and usual bs.

Happy for the teacher and her family. Teachers!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Halle Berry episode was great!  I don't know how I feel about the all black dining room - but other than that!  The all black dining room feels more Halle than anything.

Yvonne seems so lovely.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Why were they wearing the same clothes I the opening and the reveal? The 5-week later reveal!

I checked the beginning and the end and the outfits were all different.  I couldn't find one outfit being the same.

Ha, you’re right! I saw scenes in the beginning that were previews of the reveal. Halle’s two sweaters were both turtlenecks and Jonathan’s striped shirt was so fugly it’s clearly scarring my memory.😂😂

This morning when they had a run of this show, I saw a part of an episode that I didn’t know the celebrity.  But it was annoying as the person had a pretty nice house and remodeled kitchen.  The brothers said that they clearly take pride in their home, but then went on to be insulting saying things like, it looks good on the surface but this kitchen will fall apart in a year, their cheap laminate floors , etc.  

They could have said the homeowners might enjoy some updates…as if I watched that back I would be mad to hear all of that after I took the time to update things in my home.  We don’t all have hgtv money and access to the most expensive things.

And of course they took a beautiful wall color and painted it white.  Shocker.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

This show returns on November 14.

The upcoming Celebrity IOU lineup will spotlight:

· Drew Barrymore - Emmy(R) Award nominated and Golden Globe(R) Award and Screen Actors Guild Award(R) winning actress, producer, talk show host, author and entrepreneur;

· Cindy Crawford - Supermodel, author, entrepreneur and philanthropist; 

· Terry Crews - Daytime Emmy(R) Award, Screen Actors Guild Award(R) and NAACP Image Award nominated actor, producer, author and professional athlete;

· Cheryl Hines - Emmy(R) Award and Screen Actors Guild Award(R) nominated actress, producer and director;

· Kate Hudson - Golden Globe(R) Award winner, Academy Award(R) nominated actress, producer, entrepreneur, and bestselling author;

· Leslie Jordan - Emmy(R) Award winning actor, The New York Times best-selling author and recording artist; 

· Idina Menzel - Tony Award(R) winning performer, singer, songwriter, entrepreneur and author;

· Wilmer Valderrama - Award winning actor, producer, entrepreneur and activist;

• Love 2
On 5/31/2022 at 4:49 PM, Whimsy said:

I was thinking both of these things. From all the comments AA makes to “Momma” on To Tell The Truth, he gives her a LOT of money. He couldn’t help out his brother before this??  Maybe his brother was too proud to accept help until now?

This and above!  Usually don’t watch this show regularly but had to DVR Leslie Jordan and then decided to record more episodes.  I’m like, why not buy your brother a new, bigger house with more than 1 bathroom? Especially  after seeing the huge house Anthony has on the new Jeff Lewis show.  Hoping it’s maybe a List It situation where the improvements would make selling easier?

• Love 1

Haven't watched this show in a while but wanted to see the Leslie Jordan episode. It was so heartbreaking. Especially when Leslie said I hope they leave the house to me. It seems they were such good friends and Leslie looked like he had a blast working on the house.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That has not even aired where I am yet.

What did we think of the Idina Menzel episode?  I couldn't help but wonder about her choice of recipient.  It seemed like kind of a weird dynamic like maybe Idina is dating him or something.

Sorry about that. I don't usually watch this live.

There was something off about the Idina ep. She wouldn't let her son be shown. And a father was barely mentioned. I don't think Idina wants to date him since she was in kahoots with his wife (who didn't want to be on camera). If that was a business space, there was no desk or a place for him to work. Seemed more like a rec space.

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Sorry about that. I don't usually watch this live.

There was something off about the Idina ep. She wouldn't let her son be shown. And a father was barely mentioned. I don't think Idina wants to date him since she was in kahoots with his wife (who didn't want to be on camera). If that was a business space, there was no desk or a place for him to work. Seemed more like a rec space.

I am pretty sure the father is Taye Diggs, and they are long divorced now -- so that part kinda made sense.  But you're right.  I forgot that the recipient has a wife!  LOL.  It's been a week.

And I noticed that about the lack of work space too......

• Like 2

Okay, watching Terry Crews now.

I think that the idea for the backyard sanctuary is fantastic, and usually the backyard episodes are dull. (I didn't pay much attention anyways).  But the cardio zone was so tiny and underwhelming!  That would be so important to me.  Why not make it like an actual gym and have the full front wall all glass so he could see outside?  Pah.  Did they even give him a TV?  LOL.

Anyways, overall the yard is amazing and I definitely want one!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Kate Hudson episode:

This one was pretty good, I found myself tearing up and emotional quite a bit.  Kate's daughter is very cute.  

The backyard looks great, my one quibble would be that wiring on the patio walls meant so that Melissa could see out to her garden.

I totally get the desire to see out, but the wiring made me feel uncomfortable.  I would have preferred thin wood if it was plausible, it would give it such a softer look.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

In the Kate Hudson episode, while the backyard makeover was quite nice, I didn't feel it reflected the homeowner's desires, and she seemed underwhelmed, to me. Instead of French countryside, she got Property Brothers' white and grey. The shed/studio used to be quite quirky, now it's just another blah space. And one of the first things the lady said before the makeover was that she missed being able to do her spring planting. In that whole huge backyard, instead of giving her an actual garden, they gave her three raised planter boxes. Three, with no potting shed, But she did get a bocci ball court. Even though I don't recall her asking for one.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Scarybuttercupp said:

In the Kate Hudson episode, while the backyard makeover was quite nice, I didn't feel it reflected the homeowner's desires, and she seemed underwhelmed, to me. Instead of French countryside, she got Property Brothers' white and grey. 

They can't even give the back garden just a moment of thought?! Yikes. 

• Like 2

Saw a few minutes of the Cindy Crawford episode and have figured out why I'm not watching this show. Lowlight: Decorator extraordinaire (according to Drew) Cindy and well, Drew going over the arch section of the script. Drew practically foams at the mouth over Cindy's ideas and he "builds" on them. With Cindy being such a great designer, he should replace Jonathan with her--and she's better looking than his twin. HGTV remodel late 2022 seemed a hit. 

Oh, the reason? Besides the obvious schtick of rewarding some awesome friend or employee in order to be on a TV show? Can't watch either of the bros anymore. Can't believe I ever did.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, buttersister said:

Saw a few minutes of the Cindy Crawford episode and have figured out why I'm not watching this show. Lowlight: Decorator extraordinaire (according to Drew) Cindy and well, Drew going over the arch section of the script. Drew practically foams at the mouth over Cindy's ideas and he "builds" on them. With Cindy being such a great designer, he should replace Jonathan with her--and she's better looking than his twin. HGTV remodel late 2022 seemed a hit. 

Oh, the reason? Besides the obvious schtick of rewarding some awesome friend or employee in order to be on a TV show? Can't watch either of the bros anymore. Can't believe I ever did.

They have become extremely annoying.  And yes they fainted over everything Cindy said.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 11/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I am pretty sure the father is Taye Diggs, and they are long divorced now -- so that part kinda made sense.  But you're right.  I forgot that the recipient has a wife!  LOL.  It's been a week.

And I noticed that about the lack of work space too......

Idina's son's father is Taye Diggs and she is married to someone else now.  She just seems to be a bit socially awkward but I felt she was sincere.

• Like 3
On 12/14/2022 at 9:05 PM, alexa said:

They have become extremely annoying.  And yes they fainted over everything Cindy said.  

I don't blame them at all.  Cindy was the hugest thing in the world in the 90s. I much more appreciate people who are authentically starstruck, rather than pretending to be above it all.  It's Cindy Crawford.  It makes perfect sense to me.

On 12/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, buttersister said:

Yeah.  I do watch it because I enjoy the renovation and redecorating stuff, but they have sold their soul to the devil and they have absolutely no morals or shame.  That was clear when they had Anthony Anderson on the show.

Jonathan needs to learn 1 other word than "literally".  It's every fucking sentence.  It's so annoying.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

I think that the Drew Barrymore episode is the least I've ever seen a space transformed.  I enjoyed the episode and I really like Drew so it was a fun watch but Deb's kitchen was already really nice.  I'd take that kitchen in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I saw the reveal in which Drew blurts out she doesn’t know how her friend managed in the before kitchen.😂😂😂 It’s multiple times the size of mine, where I cook and bake bread and goodies from scratch on the regular. 

Celebrity “IOU but had to wait for a TV show to pay you back.” Which celeb will finally say, hey, here’s a chance for a remodel for you and good PR for me and we just have to act like this is all real.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Yes, that was the most that show felt like straight money laundering.

Probably not the right term for it, but it was certainly just a puff piece for Drew and her friend gets a renovation in the process. Win win win and only the viewers lose because we feel conned.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3

I don't watch the Property Brothers, but I came across this show on Discovery+ and wound up watching quite a few episodes in part -- I'd just watch the opening up through the concept (I cannot watch the demolition scenes due to all the waste) and then the reveal.  Good grief, they do the same thing every time.  On many of the shows I'd have been disappointed with the result and changed a good percentage of it (first step: putting back the damn walls).  It's nice they use TVs that look like art pieces rather than black screens when not in use, but they repeatedly arrange the furniture so the couch faces something else and only one chair actually faces the TV.  Even when on a full mount - which not all of them seem to be - that's obnoxious.

Kate Hudson's mother-in-law had such a cute yard to start with, and they took all the character out of it.  If they'd just spruced up what she had and added some furniture, it would have been a lot better.

And give me about seventeen breaks with the idea they decide on the fly what to do, and get all the necessary permits right away.  In L.A., Glendale, Pasadena, etc., no frakkin' way, and I'm sure that's true in the other locations as well.  Obviously this is planned well in advance, which makes it quite hard to believe the recipients are surprised (as does them all [at least among the ones I watched] being well dressed with make-up and hair done when they open the door/get the call).

I'm glad the one celebrity I know would never do this show in the first place, and even if he did, would never choose me as the recipient as he'd know I'd hate the way they inevitably ruined my colorful 1938 house with the same bland look they put in everywhere. 

I like the concept of the show, but I'm not impressed with their designs.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4

I watched the Glenn Close episode last night - she is such a beautiful woman and she was hilarious driving the front loader.  Not sure that her friend wanted a complete house in her back yard but still a very nice addition if she has lots of guests (although I thought they should have at least put in a murphy bed or a convertible couch).  Oh well, there's always blow up beds!

• Like 4

Glenn really enjoyed knocking down that shed. They could've run that on a loop for an hour and it would be a good show. Wonder what the inside of the friend's house was like that she needed a tiny home to have serenity/a place to host meetings that requires a full kitchen.

• Like 2

Yes, it seemed like it started out as one thing and ended up as another, and yet some parts of it didn't evolve (the full kitchen for instance).  If you have a complete house why do you need a guest cottage with a full kitchen - and I never understood completely whether it was a full-time home they lived in or a camp (have I watched too much Maine Cabin Masters?).  Or ultimately was this going to be a home for their son?  So many questions (and not having a place for guests to sleep in a guest cottage still bugs me).

• Like 3

I know who the Houghs are but I've never watched anything they're in. I enjoyed all the snippets of dancing. Showing Jonathan how to do a move was hilarious. Dancing demo should be a thing. All four of them seemed to be having a really good time. Made for a fun to watch ep.

I've really liked the celebrities this season - they seem to have really enjoyed the process. I laughed at Taraji P. Henson's fingernails - they were definitely not built for demo.  Jay Leno was incredibly endearing and you could tell he really cared about the young couple whose house was renovated, Emma Roberts is adorable and I thought the kitchen makeover was really great...this has been a really good season and like I said above - I have really enjoyed the celebrities, and watching Glenn Close's glee in operating heavy machinery was priceless.

• Like 4

Anna Faris episode…that kitchen was not great.  It just didn’t blend well together at all.  The homeowner liked it so I guess that is all that matters.

• Like 2

Ray Romano’s net worth according to Google is 200 million.  Not that you have to be uber generous, but if you had an assistant who was like family for over 20 years, wouldn’t you just gift them a new house (I mean maybe in the same neighborhood, ensure they can keep up with taxes/maintenance but still)? I can see a bed/bath remodel for someone you work with regularly but maybe not that closely with.  But, after he described everything they’ve been through together, I would just buy her a new home or definitely do more than just those rooms and spring for more than fiberboard closets although I know they have deadlines for the show.

• Love 1
On 1/9/2024 at 12:17 AM, For Cereals said:

Ray Romano’s net worth according to Google is 200 million.  Not that you have to be uber generous, but if you had an assistant who was like family for over 20 years, wouldn’t you just gift them a new house (I mean maybe in the same neighborhood, ensure they can keep up with taxes/maintenance but still)? I can see a bed/bath remodel for someone you work with regularly but maybe not that closely with.  But, after he described everything they’ve been through together, I would just buy her a new home or definitely do more than just those rooms and spring for more than fiberboard closets although I know they have deadlines for the show.

Remodeling a small bath and small bedroom was such a stingy reward for 20+ years of service. What about giving her a few hundred thousand for her retirement fund (etc)? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Remodeling a small bath and small bedroom was such a stingy reward for 20+ years of service. What about giving her a few hundred thousand for her retirement fund (etc)? 

How do we know that he hasn't already set up something like that? 

Let's face it, the reno "reward" is only as good as the producers/contractors can make it. They're trying to cram weeks and months into a one hour show. I'd love to be on the receiving end of ANY "stingy reward".

• Like 3

Ray did this as a way to show he cared. Him getting his hands dirty and going out of his comfort zone showed her how much she meant to him. Sure, he could have just thrown money at her but this made it personal.

• Like 5
On 1/12/2024 at 3:28 PM, Grizzly said:

Ray did this as a way to show he cared. Him getting his hands dirty and going out of his comfort zone showed her how much she meant to him. Sure, he could have just thrown money at her but this made it personal.

Yes, and also it showed he paid attention to what she says, even in casual conversation.

• Like 4

Fran Drescher drove me crazy in her episode.  She spent all of her time mugging for the camera!  The homeowners seemed thrilled with the home (honestly the "behind the scenes" stuff they did to the house was very impactful - otherwise that house was going to fall down sooner or later) but it was too bad they couldn't do anything to make the kitchen more spacious.

• Like 1
On 5/30/2022 at 9:33 PM, lgprimes said:

Just watched the John C Reilly episode. Loved the relationship between John and his friend but REALLY dislike the reno. They took a very cool quirky place and made it bland as hell. It needed repairs,and plumbing is great, but all that white?? No sir. And the original exterior color was better too. I’d be irritated.

Just saw this as a repeat. OMG, what did they do to that lovely little log cabin? 

It only needed to be modernized, but they actually covered all the logs with blah paint, and the logs were the main feature of the cabin. The logs inside are just fake and cheesy, like a Disney-fied version of a log cabin, and the paint on the outside made them look plastic. They should have stained the inside logs so you could see the wood grain at least, and repaired the exterior logs and redone them to remain authentic. It can be done; I know someone who discovered an 1800s log cabin as part of their old farmhouse and they had the logs redone. Looks fab in their house, authentic and charming. Not the same-o white box that we see here.

I appreciated the photos of interesting items in his junk shop, and the use of some of his vintage items. Not sure where his wife’s vintage clothes are stored now.

John C. Reilly was great, though. He seems like such a genuine guy. Loved his hat with the red bird on it, heh.

I wonder what Johnny the owner actually thought about his cabin’s redo.

Lisa Kudrow was quite funny with her fear of power tools. 

• Like 1
On 1/16/2024 at 4:40 PM, RoxiP said:

Fran Drescher drove me crazy in her episode.  She spent all of her time mugging for the camera!  The homeowners seemed thrilled with the home (honestly the "behind the scenes" stuff they did to the house was very impactful - otherwise that house was going to fall down sooner or later) but it was too bad they couldn't do anything to make the kitchen more spacious.

At least Fran vetoed Jonathan's idea about painting doors black. That would have looked horrible. With all the damage they had to repair, I was wondering if the bath and bedrooms were redone. Totally agree with you about the kitchen. She doesn't have a lot of counter space.

• Like 1

True.  Painting the doors black would not have made any sense in that house.  The only reason I can think it was even suggested was to have something to do with giving it some character, but I think it would have just been obnoxious.

I know that Fran Drescher siimply did "herself" in this episode (honestly have never been a huge fan although my daughter was watched The Nanny multiple times), but I just like the episodes where the celebrities really get involved in the actual work and seem to enjoy the process.

• Like 2