Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity IOU - General Discussion

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, eclectcmoi said:

Does anyone else fast forward through all the over explaining the brothers do in every episode? 

Yep. Depending on the project and the celebrity I sometimes just ffwd to the end.

• Love 10

I've never seen Darren in anything but I knew he'd been in Glee. He is a real cutie. I too wondered where the stuff from the garage went. Thought they could put a small shed in the back but hot tub is a better idea. I don't understand the pavers with grass between them. Doesn't that make it easier to trip on the pavers?

• Love 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I've never seen Darren in anything but I knew he'd been in Glee. He is a real cutie. I too wondered where the stuff from the garage went. Thought they could put a small shed in the back but hot tub is a better idea. I don't understand the pavers with grass between them. Doesn't that make it easier to trip on the pavers?

He also played Gianni Versace's killer in that season of American Crime Story.  I agree he is very cute.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Obviously it's more fun when they do an actual house, rather than a garage.

They did so much with the garage, inside and all around outside as if they did not wish to waste a single square centimeter, that it felt like quite an extensive reno; in the end it was like a very well appointed small house.

I see I am not the only one who wondered what happened to all of the stuff that was stored in the garage initially, like the bikes, toys and all those storage bins. Granted, it's probable that the family ultimately decided to chuck a good portion of it, but where were the drums – which magicaly reappeared in the end – kept in the remodeled garage? Perhaps in those closets we had a quick glimpse of but could not really gauge their capacity (only 4 narrow doors). 

36 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

He also played Gianni Versace's killer in that season of American Crime Story.

That's the role he got an Emmy, a Golden Globe and a few other awards for.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 3
On 7/20/2021 at 5:07 PM, eclectcmoi said:

Does anyone else fast forward through all the over explaining the brothers do in every episode? 

Yes, and most of the demo since I hate to see perfectly useable things and glass smashed to smithereens. 

• Love 6
On 7/20/2021 at 7:07 PM, eclectcmoi said:

Doesn't that happen on many of those reality shows, especially the renovation/construction ones? It's as if they want to make sure each viewer is constantly reminded of where things stand, what is the premise of the show, etc.. They may also feel the need to constantly brief the casual viewers (like me for this show) or the new ones, or perhaps they are afraid that some of the viewers dozed off and missed a few bits.

That being said they have about 3/4 of an hour of TV to fill and 20 minutes of people hammering nails would not make for very compelling viewing, so talking heads (even repetitive ones) could seem to be a good replacement option.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

It's made even worse by the fact that their "designs" are all so alike.

They have to use mostly products made by their sponsors, which limits the diversity of looks and the number of possible concepts.

Not to mention the time factor: they have to come up with designs real fast and execute them on a tight schedule, so no wonder they often choose to resort to proven templates they are familiar with.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

They have to use mostly products made by their sponsors, which limits the diversity of looks and the number of possible concepts.

Not to mention the time factor: they have to come up with designs real fast and execute them on a tight schedule, so no wonder they often choose to resort to proven templates they are familiar with.

I've had a quick look at their sponsor's options and a real designer could make 100 places that look different. Easily. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I've had a quick look at their sponsor's options and a real designer could make 100 places that look different. Easily. 

I think this becomes an issue for most designers that are on tv, not that I would call either of them designers, they want to create a sort of streamlined look to solidify a brand and it usually ends up just being boring and repetitive.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I think this becomes an issue for most designers that are on tv, not that I would call either of them designers, they want to create a sort of streamlined look to solidify a brand and it usually ends up just being boring and repetitive.

Boring and repetitive should be the brothers middle names.

• Love 6

Another garage and backyard make-over and also changing the exterior color. I think they could have scheduled differently so as not to have had two such similar episodes in a row.  At least this renovation also included a storage shed for all that garage stuff that can no longer be stored.  Josh Groban seemed very genuine. 

• Love 5

Josh is so cute. I'd be fine with him being the third Property Brother. I wish we could have heard him sing some more. Outdoor renovations was probably the best bet for filming during a pandemic. I'll take it because It's better than nothing. It's a nice change from white kitchens. 

On 7/27/2021 at 3:34 PM, eclectcmoi said:

least this renovation also included a storage shed for all that garage stuff that can no longer be stored.

To be fair the showed the new storage unit because they took out an older one and there wasn’t anything other than his music stuff being stored in the garage. 

My main worry for the garage studio, is did they put in a lot of security, the amount of equipment put in could easily be targeted. 

Like no one can move an outdoor kitchen or in ground hot tub but the computer, keyboard and monitors are easy lifts in a garage space.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Watched this show for the first time with Gwenyth. I would've cried if it were my main floor powder room they removed.

No kidding - me too.  

Regarding the Josh Groban show, I kept hoping they would put in one of those in-wall air conditioners.  Having spent a few days in June helping clean out my in-laws LA garage, I can personally attest that it's hot in there - and we had the door open. 

Also, I wasn't amused by the way they made fun of the screen door.  Maybe it helped with air flow through the house so they could cut down on air conditioning.

• Love 5

Hi Everyone!

There's a new season starting tonight!

In Canada it's 10 pm EST on HGTV.  The first celebrity is

Spoiler

Tiffany Haddish.

This season looks good, more celebrities:

Spoiler

Snoop Dogg!  Halle Berry!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Tiffany picturing the kitchen island as her siblings and screaming "STOP BORROWING MY CLOTHES!" as she does demolition is hilarious!

Okay, Tiffany rubbing her ass on stuff, I like less.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I found a fine way to watch when I like the celebrity (e.g., Tiffany). Record and ff through the brothers. Because they’ve been awful for a long time and have gotten worse. Nice combo of, your friends have worked on this place + look at all the crappy finishes. 

Also, Show, no need to play excruciatingly dumb—Tiffany’s friend was surprised 😮 and went directly to stay at Tiffany’s house in a hired car—no luggage, no family, 🤡

She seemed to like the redo, although it looked like all their redos, down to the banquette (wait, they didn’t mention storage!) and another case of losing a window and replacing recessed lighting bulbs with something brighter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I thought it was odd. Howie's pal's girlfriend looks just like his daughter (and around the same age, too, ugh). 

Since one of the bros said the pal could put his beer cans in one of those storage units, I'll assume they're still available. Especially since Howie mentioned how much this guy liked collecting stuff--the place is a big upgrade, but still, it's his collectible stuff.

I did giggle for a sec over the black, white, grey scheme being talked up as manly and sophisticated and something Howie could actually see. OR the only thing the bros do.

That FF button got a workout. Definitely the only way to go.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I liked the Snoop Dogg episode enough, but I hated Jonathan saying "He's not a thug like I assumed, he's an intellectual".  Jesus!  Snoop has been an icon for 30 years, he's not an idiot!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

Both brothers have put on weight. Drew certainly has the dad bod ready for when Linda gives birth.

Anyone else wonder who or what was in the Commish's house that he needed a place to escape to? No wife or girlfriend was ever mentioned.

• LOL 1
(edited)

Tonight at 11 PM EST they are showing another version of the Kevin Hart episode.  It's more in depth, more background.  I really enjoyed Kevin's episode so I'm enjoying this.  (I thought it would feel like a needless rerun.)

Ali Wong's episode is listed for tomorrow night.

Next week is:

Spoiler

Lisa Kudrow!

I'm excited for that!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)

Warms my heart Ali has a large group of college friends in light of her pending divorce.

Guess Mr. Ali Wong got tired of being poked upon, made fun of and wearing gold Rolexes (watch her latest concert on Netflix) she will be paying him child support and alimony since he gave up his career or hers.

Citadelle, who had Ali and her mother living with her for a time was gifted a beautiful indoor and outdoor living space.

This show is a rerun.

No hate, just my humbo.

Edited by humbleopinion
Spelling
On 5/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, humbleopinion said:

Citadels, who had Ali and her mother living with her for a time was gifted a beautiful indoor and outdoor living space.

I thought the space looked really good.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Another Inside Scoop episode for the Gwyneth Paltrow episode last night.  I enjoyed it!

Tonight:

Spoiler

Lisa Kudrow!

Next Monday:

Spoiler

John C. Reilly!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I missed the first few minutes of tonight's episode featuring Lisa Kudrow. What was her cousin's backstory?

I'm not a regular viewer of this show but only tuned in because I like Lisa. I've just always found the premise of this show very odd. These celebrities have millions. If they wanted to do something nice for their best friend, their personal assistant, their hairdresser, etc, why not just shell out the bucks themselves? In Lisa's case, this was a family member whom supposedly she was very close to. It seemed like she had fallen on some hard times. Maybe I am naive, and I know those with millions can't be giving it all away, but if I were that rich and had someone in my life who was that important to me, I would help them out.

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I missed the first few minutes of tonight's episode featuring Lisa Kudrow. What was her cousin's backstory?

Her cousin is named Teya.  She is more like Lisa's sister or soul sister, they really get along and have the same sense of humour.  She lost both of her parents since 2018.  She adopts abused animals.

11 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I'm not a regular viewer of this show but only tuned in because I like Lisa. I've just always found the premise of this show very odd. These celebrities have millions. If they wanted to do something nice for their best friend, their personal assistant, their hairdresser, etc, why not just shell out the bucks themselves? 

Why do you think they are not the ones paying for this?  I always assumed that the celebrities are paying, and the Property Brothers execute the work and use the celebrities' money to pay their staff.

Now you got me curious, so I Googled it.  I guess it's unclear.

https://www.distractify.com/p/do-the-celebrities-pay-for-celebrity-iou

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode.  I feel like this is the first episode I saw where the PB kept forcing the star to work but the star just hated it.  Hilarious.  Aside from all the talk of pet urine, which I could have done without, this was really enjoyable.  

Teya's place was really cute and quirky though, but I guess now it is better what with the extra space, better floors, and nice outdoor area.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Her cousin is named Teya.  She is more like Lisa's sister or soul sister, they really get along and have the same sense of humour.  She lost both of her parents since 2018.  She adopts abused animals.

Why do you think they are not the ones paying for this?  I always assumed that the celebrities are paying, and the Property Brothers execute the work and use the celebrities' money to pay their staff.

Now you got me curious, so I Googled it.  I guess it's unclear.

https://www.distractify.com/p/do-the-celebrities-pay-for-celebrity-iou

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode.  I feel like this is the first episode I saw where the PB kept forcing the star to work but the star just hated it.  Hilarious.  Aside from all the talk of pet urine, which I could have done without, this was really enjoyable.  

Teya's place was really cute and quirky though, but I guess now it is better what with the extra space, quirky floors, and nice outdoor area.

Agreed, most people on hgtv shows pay for the work done, including the celebrities on this one.  I enjoyed the episode also.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure the celebs pay.  I think they go on this show because most of the recipients are described as never asking or accepting any "hand outs" so this is their way to get them to accept the amazing renovation. And, be on TV more.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have no idea if the celebs pay or not, but I can assure you the PBs are NOT executing any work. They are just there to film a few scenes that they're acting in, that's it. 

• Love 2

Just watched the John C Reilly episode. Loved the relationship between John and his friend but REALLY dislike the reno. They took a very cool quirky place and made it bland as hell. It needed repairs,and plumbing is great, but all that white?? No sir. And the original exterior color was better too. I’d be irritated.

• Love 7

And therein lies the problem. You’re a celebrity’s friend, employee, relative, whatever. You find yourself part of their attempt to get you a home improvement, but it’s the Scott bros calling the shots, ostensibly with the celeb telling them which shade of grey you’d prefer. Whatcha gonna do? Ooh! Ah! OMG! I can’t believe it! Thank you! 

Is that the mouth of a gift horse I’m looking into?

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Seriously on the Anthony Anderson episode, he couldn't help out his overworked ER trauma nurse brother with no working heat and other serious home issues unless he could do it publicly on TV!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, RowdyCam said:

Seriously on the Anthony Anderson episode, he couldn't help out his overworked ER trauma nurse brother with no working heat and other serious home issues unless he could do it publicly on TV!

Or if the place is in such pitiful shape, buy him a new house, fer cryin' out loud.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, RowdyCam said:

7 hours ago, llongori said:

Or if the place is in such pitiful shape, buy him a new house, fer cryin' out loud.

I was thinking both of these things. From all the comments AA makes to “Momma” on To Tell The Truth, he gives her a LOT of money. He couldn’t help out his brother before this??  Maybe his brother was too proud to accept help until now?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

The Property Brothers having someone on the show who has been accused of rape by 3 different women is really not a good look for them.  Celebrity IOU?  I'm willing to bet Anthony owes a lot of people way more than that.

Anyway, the season finale is airing on Monday, and the Celebrity will be

Spoiler

Halle Berry

• Love 2
On 5/17/2022 at 10:25 AM, Whimsy said:

I'm pretty sure the celebs pay.  I think they go on this show because most of the recipients are described as never asking or accepting any "hand outs" so this is their way to get them to accept the amazing renovation. And, be on TV more.

And if their goop-selling or TV shows aren't doing well or there are allegations against them, they may think being nice and helping out someone less fortunate will boost their likeability.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Actually my PVR lists Gwyneth again so not sure.... 

The company that I work for did some work for the episode that is airing Monday, it's not Gwyneth again. 

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

The company that I work for did some work for the episode that is airing Monday, it's not Gwyneth again. 

Thank you!  Because I definitely saw the commercial preview!  Stupid PVR system.

• Love 1