Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity IOU - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My place has white walls, lots of white, really. And Vi's friend's place was a little white for me.I think I heard something about a Zen sanctuary, calm city, etc. But boys, have you seen a Zen temple ever?

It does seem like whoever is helping them decorate these places bulk purchased paint, countertops and cabinets/shelving? Limited series, limited budget? (Furniture isn't all that, either.)

I still like seeing people happy, so there's that.The celebrity's friends/families all seem mighty pleased. With their gift!

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

This show is sweet and I like it, but everything is very white. We need some color on the walls, especially in a living room or kitchen.

This. So much. I've seen three episodes now and the renovations all look the same: lots of white and gray. Sleek and modern. It's an aesthetic I like but it's getting somewhat repetitive. If they were truly decorating to the person's taste, you'd think there would be some variety. The idea that all of these people want variations of the exact same thing is not realistic.  

Just once I would love to hear one of the celebs say "so and so LOVES color!" or "they're really into Shabby Chic!" and see what happens. 

Edited by wlk68
  • Love 7

Wondering if the PB was the cover for Melissa finally being able to help her aunt and uncle (but them begging off).

Someone early in this thread wondered why the celebs hadn't done this for their friends/family without the cameras rolling, and this may be the answer.  I can see someone like Melissa offering to redo her aunt and uncle's house and them declining.  The recipients so far seem like the kind of people who would do that.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Brad Pitt confuses me. I hated him when he so callously flaunted his affair with Angelina Jolie with no regard to Jenn's feelings. Then, when they broke up, according to Ang he was an abusive raging alcoholic and druggie. But yet, he has a charming very sensitive side and always came across so nice in interviews. I love his relationship with his makeup artist. He truly cares about her. Sobriety looks good on Brad.  

• Love 6

I really wish they would have installed a Murphy bed in the new office of Viola's friend,

They had a bed in there for a reason...

I really wish these show  would do a behind the scenes episode like...what's happens to all the HO's  possessions they don't use?

Also, who pays the taxes, etc

How do they get permits so fast--and inspection.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, sheetmoss said:

I really wish these show  would do a behind the scenes episode like...what's happens to all the HO's  possessions they don't use?

Also, who pays the taxes, etc

How do they get permits so fast--and inspection.

I agree. I would find that interesting.  Plus how they clear everything out so quickly - I know it would take a couple of days to carefully pack all of my kitchen stuff plus all of the food.  And do they just leave the cupboards bare and expect the HO to put everything away afterward?  Are they boxes of dishes and silverware stored off camera?  Cereal and rice?  All of the stuff from the refrigerator?

And I agree about the Murphy bed.  That's what I have in my office space for umpteen years and it gets used when I have company so they don't have to sleep on the couch. Although my dad was teasing my niece and told her not to sleep to close to the top or it would fold up on her.  To this day she remembers that 34 years later!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Not to worry, Behind The Brothers: Celebrity IOU coming soon. Reruns marked New! with tips for that all-white modern look and Melissa angsting over replacing her Aunt’s Mother’s Breakfront! 

What pissed me off this week? One of the bros looking at Vi’s friend’s fully functional kitchen and exclaiming, how can you even cook in here?! Asshat.

• Love 4

What pissed me off this week? One of the bros looking at Vi’s friend’s fully functional kitchen and exclaiming, how can you even cook in here?! Asshat.

Don't you know that cooking in anything but a white kitchen is impossible???

One thing I notice about these shows is how different the style is from what was there before, and presumably from the rest of the house.  I didn't particularly like the living room of Viola's friend after they were done, too modern and white.  I hope the homeowners like it.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, camom said:

I didn't particularly like the living room of Viola's friend after they were done, too modern and white.  I hope the homeowners like it.

I agree.  I always wonder, too, if the furniture can be returned or exchanged.  Furniture is a very personal and some of the "sleek and modern" things they choose just do NOT look comfortable to me.  My couch is made for lounging, reading, watching TV not for sitting bolt upright.  Plus white is so impractical overall unless you keep it covered all of the time.

I am not a white kitchen fan, I think that's one of those things heavily promoted by these shows for whatever reason.  Haven't any of them ever splattered tomato sauce or dropped grape jelly and had to clean it up?  

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I am not a white kitchen fan, I think that's one of those things heavily promoted by these shows for whatever reason.  Haven't any of them ever splattered tomato sauce or dropped grape jelly and had to clean it up?  

I'm not a fan of white kitchen cabinets either. We have white cabinets for the wet bar in our sunroom and some of the things that have gotten on the cabinet doors have stained the finish. Don't even get me started on how impractical open shelves are in a kitchen.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, CruiseDiva said:

Don't even get me started on how impractical open shelves are in a kitchen.

Especially when they tear out upper cupboards and replace them with those stupid shelves. I bet people have all kinds of kitchen appliances stashed in closets and under beds.

• Love 7

Heh, real life vs. TV life. I don't have a lot of counter space but like with any urban kitchen, you figure it out and dinner parties for 6 or more were never an issue. My white cabinets/inside kitchen with no window work for me--but give up an inch of storage for any reason? No. Would they move the partial wall a foot into my adjoining living/dining space and put in a wall of pantry? K, maybe.

As the celebrity friends and family seem stunned by their makeovers, one might imagine the next day when they start looking around and thinking, uh, not sure about this furniture! I see a lot of what used to be called Danish modern, not the most comfortable stuff. But totally scaled for those rooms (that's the trade;-)

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, buttersister said:

As the celebrity friends and family seem stunned by their makeovers,

I have only seen two of these but the whole surprise thing at the beginning can't possibly be a surprise - good grief there are total strangers in your house or yard standing there with great big cameras!  It's not like they are standing behind a tree with a cell phone filming it all.

• Love 2

Ha, nothing on this network's shows are unscripted. Whether or not they've seen the final results previously (how many takes?) is anyone's guess. But acting stunned/surprised/grateful for the gift of a remodel is expected. Wondering where their old furniture went (not the crappy old stuff, but perhaps the sentimental stuff) would be normal, imo.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I have only seen two of these but the whole surprise thing at the beginning can't possibly be a surprise - good grief there are total strangers in your house or yard standing there with great big cameras!  It's not like they are standing behind a tree with a cell phone filming it all.

Viola’s friend was the only one who was surprised at the beginning. 

7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Viola’s friend was the only one who was surprised at the beginning. 

Or she was a very good actor.  My first reaction would be to face the strangers with the camera if someone unexpected was suddenly in my home.  Yet I have never seen anybody break the fourth wall.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Or she was a very good actor.  My first reaction would be to face the strangers with the camera if someone unexpected was suddenly in my home.  Yet I have never seen anybody break the fourth wall.

No, I meant she was the only person who found out at the beginning of the show. The other two episodes the people were already gone.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
On 4/27/2020 at 9:05 PM, mtlchick said:

I remember reading something that open concept is popular because of the idea and the action of the demolition attracts male viewers.  I don't mind open concept, but not the obsession of stainless steel appliances.  Dude, I just my stuff to WORK. 

Open concept has become popular out in the real world because it is cheaper and quicker to design and build a house without walls. It's easier to lay flooring in a single open space than in smaller individual rooms.  Also, because of the lack of walls in the main living areas, more square footage can be squeezed into the same footprint and therefore, the selling price can be higher for a house with fewer walls than the same-sized house with defined rooms down the street.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Open concept has become popular out in the real world because it is cheaper and quicker to design and build a house without walls. It's easier to lay flooring in a single open space than in smaller individual rooms.  Also, because of the lack of walls in the main living areas, more square footage can be squeezed into the same footprint and therefore, the selling price can be higher for a house with fewer walls than the same-sized house with defined rooms down the street.

None of those things are true. In fact open concept costs more because of the heating and cooling costs, not to mention the beams that need to be used. And the 5 or so extra square feet you get isn't worth it. 

• Love 2

We just renovated our kitchen and we went with all white cabinets--it's a small apartment galley kitchen on a low floor and thus with VERY little natural light for most of the day, so we didn't want anything darker. In fact, the kitchen cabinets we just replaced were also all white and none of them every got stained--the edges yellowed because they weren't good quality, but they never stained. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/29/2020 at 1:08 PM, Kohola3 said:

I was thinking Viola may have told her a film crew would be coming to do something on Viola and her longtime friend--celebrity friendship kind of thing  feature, but was genuinely surprised  instead by seeing the Property Bros standing there too.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 3

I enjoyed the Buble episode, but it is definitely true the reveals are all very white.  Even the property bro shows have a little color in some areas.  If it were me I would think, I have to paint everything myself now?  Lol

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Another touching episode. It's obvious that Michael loved his grandfather very much. What an amazing gift, to give someone a house. Especially a house with so many memories and such sentimental value.  This goes way beyond helping someone fix up their own home. 

That being said: so. much. gray.  ...   so. much. white.

Give us some color!  

Edited by wlk68
  • Love 4

Watching Michael tear up, got me teary-eyed too. I loved this episode because Vancouver is so stunningly beautiful. We flew there to depart on an Alaskan cruise and I vowed to get back there one day. The reno was very sterile but definitely an improvement. I thought the artwork done by Michael's brother -in-law was fabulous!

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Watching Michael tear up, got me teary-eyed too. I loved this episode because Vancouver is so stunningly beautiful. We flew there to depart on an Alaskan cruise and I vowed to get back there one day. The reno was very sterile but definitely an improvement. I thought the artwork done by Michael's brother -in-law was fabulous!

Sterile! Yes! perfect word. I felt like it lacked the warmth and coziness I would want in my own home. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, wlk68 said:

Sterile! Yes! perfect word. I felt like it lacked the warmth and coziness I would want in my own home. 

I think she seems so not the sterile design type, and it was like Buble and the property bros were pushing their preferences on the reno since they didn't really know what she would like.  Kind of strange but I guess at least it is better than what it was.  But she seemed a little bit like, what have you done?  (except for the kitchen--I think she liked that)

• Love 2

She was really surprised—in the best way. Thought I saw her thinking, yeah, the family will come. And help me make a few changes. Maybe. I was fine with it—but I have a lot of colorful art. Also, 18 months ago I landed on a quartz countertop after much, much searching. But it wasn’t purchased. When it’s time to get back to that, I may have to start over—it’s that white and grey veined marble-like stuff that is everywhere now! LOL!

• Love 2

"You changed the fireplace.  Grandpa's going to kill you."  Made me laugh out loud.  She seemed like such a giving and nice woman, so I hope she gets to live there happily ever after.  I wasn't clear on whether she was actually being given ownership of the house or if she was just getting to live there rent free.

• Love 6

Mineta will live there rent free but the home stays in the Buble family..

She doesn't get the deed to the house but the money she spent on renting a local apartment stays in her pocket or gets sent to her family back home.

She's probably employed as a caregiver to another family.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Mineta will live there rent free but the home stays in the Buble family..

She doesn't get the deed to the house but the money she spent on renting a local apartment stays in her pocket or gets sent to her family back home.

She's probably employed as a caregiver to another family.

Was this stated? I thought the point was that they were keeping it in the family because they consider her family.

• Love 1

They consider her family but if they wanted her to have sole ownership of the home then I would think they would have presented her with the deed to the property.

Ideas may differ when someone states we "consider you family."

Michael mentioned her saving more money to send to the Philippines by not having to pay for renting an apartment.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

They consider her family but if they wanted her to have sole ownership of the home then I would think they would have presented her with the deed to the property.

Ideas may differ when someone states we "consider you family."

Michael mentioned her saving more money to send to the Philippines by not having to pay for renting an apartment.

But that doesn’t indicate that she isn’t being gifted the house. My question was did they say on the show that they were only letting her rent free or are you making assumptions that weren’t mentioned on the show.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

But that doesn’t indicate that she isn’t being gifted the house. My question was did they say on the show that they were only letting her rent free or are you making assumptions that weren’t mentioned on the show.

I thought they were very unclear. Michael stated many times that he considered her like family while also stating that he wanted to keep grandpa's home in the family. I was confused myself but I am leaning with those who think he is letting her live there rent-free for the duration of her life or for as long as she wants to reside there and upon her death, the home remains with the Buble heirs.  He did say that by letting her live there she'd be saving a considerable amount of money on rent b/c she does send a large portion of her paycheck back to her country. This way she could either send more money home or send the same amount home and pocket what she'd been saving on rent, for herself. I only think that b/c of the pride he felt that his grandfather built that home himself. 

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

ng her live there rent-free for the duration of her life or for as long as she wants to reside there and upon her death, the home remains with the Buble heirs.  He did say that by letting her live there she'd be saving a considerable amount of money on rent b/c she does send a large portion of her paycheck back to her country. This way she could either send more money home or send the same amount home and pocket what she'd been saving on rent, for herself. I only think that b/c of the pride he felt that his grandfather built that home himself. 

She was a live-in caretaker so she wasn’t paying rent when he was alive. By the way she laughed and said “I guess I am really am part of the family” in an interview filmed after the reveal it definitely seemed that she was gifted it. The house had sat empty so the family clearly didn’t need to use it so it would be really shitty if they just used this show as a way to improve a future rental property.

I wonder when this was filmed because his grandfather died in Dec of 2018.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:
13 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

She was a live-in caretaker so she wasn’t paying rent when he was alive.

Yes, that's true but she was no longer living in that house once the grandfather passed. They said she was paying rent elsewhere. So, if she gave up her apartment, condo, or wherever she was living, she WOULD be saving rent money.  I can see both sides. Yes, he's rich and can afford to gift the home to Minnette outright. But otoh, the home holds special memories for him and his grandfather lovingly built it, so I can understand wanting to keep it in the family. If Minnette gets to live there free, Michael will stay pay the property taxes, so either way it's a sweet deal for her.

• Love 8

I finally saw the Michael Buble episode. I thought the finished project was beautiful. It was less blindingly white than it was originally! Minnette can add her own touches of color. Loved the Dean Martin portrait Michael’s brother made. Did Michael and the Bros already know each other? I wasn’t paying attention at the very beginning. 

On 5/5/2020 at 11:10 AM, wlk68 said:

Minnette can give it her own warm touches. 🙄

• Love 4
On 5/5/2020 at 5:58 PM, biakbiak said:

She was a live-in caretaker so she wasn’t paying rent when he was alive. By the way she laughed and said “I guess I am really am part of the family” in an interview filmed after the reveal it definitely seemed that she was gifted it. The house had sat empty so the family clearly didn’t need to use it so it would be really shitty if they just used this show as a way to improve a future rental property.

I wonder when this was filmed because his grandfather died in Dec of 2018.

It was apparently filmed in the fall of 2019.

Everything in the local papers (Vancouverite here) says they gave her the house outright.

23 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I finally saw the Michael Buble episode. I thought the finished project was beautiful. It was less blindingly white than it was originally! Minnette can add her own touches of color. Loved the Dean Martin portrait Michael’s brother made. Did Michael and the Bros already know each other? I wasn’t paying attention at the very beginning. 

Minnette can give it her own warm touches. 🙄

Michael and the brothers grew up together in the same neighbourhood and his sister is still friends with them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Ciarrai said:

Everything in the local papers (Vancouverite here) says they gave her the house outright.

Thank you! That’s all I could find by googling as well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Given the stay at home orders I have to imagine the backyard makeover is getting even more use than the originally thought it would.

I agree, and it is nice to see a spruced up yard.  My only concerns with it is that I don't think the small pool was necessary and will just add work they might not need--it is basically like a hot tub, not a pool, and the yard would have been just as great without it, imo.  I also think by adding the lawn, that might have added more work too.  Other than that, I think it was a great thing for her to do for her friend, and they will definitely enjoy having a great yard to hang out in.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 2

My only concerns with it is that I don't think the small pool was necessary and will just add work they might not need--it is basically like a hot tub, not a pool, and the yard would have been just as great without it, imo.  I also think by adding the lawn, that might have added more work too.  

Having the pool depends on the people and whether or not they will use it (some people like them, some don't).  In LA it will probably get some use.  I was glad Rebel mentioned that it had a heater because it looked like it wouldn't get direct sunlight.  As for the grass, one of the brothers said it was artificial turf so they wouldn't have to spend time maintaining it.

I always laugh when these shows "surprise" people at their homes.  I'm sure it's true in most areas, and know it is in Burbank, that neighbors -- often for blocks around -- have to be informed of any planned filming.   

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, camom said:

Having the pool depends on the people and whether or not they will use it (some people like them, some don't).  In LA it will probably get some use.  I was glad Rebel mentioned that it had a heater because it looked like it wouldn't get direct sunlight.  As for the grass, one of the brothers said it was artificial turf so they wouldn't have to spend time maintaining it.

I always laugh when these shows "surprise" people at their homes.  I'm sure it's true in most areas, and know it is in Burbank, that neighbors -- often for blocks around -- have to be informed of any planned filming.   

I agree...it does depend on the person regarding the pool.  Glad to know that about the grass.  And totally agree about the filming, and you also know having a crane there to drop the pool had to be a super big deal!  lol

• Love 3

What a transformation for that backyard! The concrete and cinder block were so bleak and depressing. Rebel's prison yard comment was very on point. The final result was gorgeous and hey, it wasn't yet another all white/gray interior. Yay!

Yes, the pool was pretty small but I would be more than happy to just sit on the submerged bench and soak during hot weather, cocktail in hand.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, wlk68 said:

What a transformation for that backyard! The concrete and cinder block were so bleak and depressing. Rebel's prison yard comment was very on point. The final result was gorgeous and hey, it wasn't yet another all white/gray interior. Yay!

Yes, the pool was pretty small but I would be more than happy to just sit on the submerged bench and soak during hot weather, cocktail in hand.  

A friend of mine had a small-ish pool like that in Las Vegas, and it was a perfect place to entertain on hot days. We'd sit in the cool pool, drink, and tell stories. These were friends from med school, and most of us hadn't seen each other in years. You can't put everything on Facebook or IG, so we spent hours catching up). 

• Love 3
On 4/28/2020 at 8:41 AM, wlk68 said:

This. So much. I've seen three episodes now and the renovations all look the same: lots of white and gray. Sleek and modern. It's an aesthetic I like but it's getting somewhat repetitive. If they were truly decorating to the person's taste, you'd think there would be some variety. The idea that all of these people want variations of the exact same thing is not realistic.  

Just once I would love to hear one of the celebs say "so and so LOVES color!" or "they're really into Shabby Chic!" and see what happens. 

That's what has turned me off about EVERYTHING the PB's do. It all looks the same. Over and over and over again. They must require it to be on the programme. 

• Love 4