Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Should've Known Better

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Mamadrama you are killing me! That sounds devine! And there is not one speck of chocolate in my house. And I get too anxious to go out to the store so when I make the trip, it's so quick and despite having a list I s*** out and leave before getting anything.

And I am generally an easy going person. This virus is really something else. 

I feel ya. 

It's not exactly the same, but for my son and I it's a start... When we do have chocolate in the house we can get a similar substance by melting chocolate chips, a dash of milk, and a few drops of olive oil (or butter) in a double boiler (or, in our case, a metal bowl atop a pot of boiling water). In a separate pot, make some regular hot cocoa with milk. When your double boiler has melted your chocolate chips, slowly pour it into the cocoa and stir. Next, add a tablespoon of corn starch to a few drops of cold milk and stir until dissolved. Pour that into the cocoa mix. It should eventually start thickening. You just tweak it as needed. If you want it thicker, add more cornstarch (just dissolve it in cold water or milk first). Sometimes we add peanut butter, a smidge of cayenne pepper, a little Nutella, etc... Whatever we have lying about.

I was a travel writer based in eastern Europe for 15 years and I miss it. I'm super jealous of some of these folks who seem to take their situation for granted. The food that Lisa had at Mommy Usman's and with Brother No? I wanted. All the mixed grills in Ukraine... Rose's family's spread...I feel like they're not taking full advantage of their situation (just taking advantage of the foreigners). 

• Love 13

I just looked up whether the color purple means anything particular in Nigeria.

Among other things:

• Purple is the color of good judgment
  • Calming over activity or energizing from depression

In other words, capital NO, and Mama Usman is not gonna lose any sleep over it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, hookedontv said:

You just reminded me of a zillion years ago when I studied abroad in Madrid and lived with a family. My "senora" made us hot chocolate, which was basically melting a block of chocolate with some other things, and homemade churros. Dunk the churro into the hot chocolate and it's a warm, delicious icing. 

This is why I cannot keep junkfood in my house during quarantine folks... I'd eat it all up in a second. 

I lived in Torrejon with my sister and her husband when I was a kid.  I remember the hot chocolate, but never had any churros there!  My favorite food was the tortilla espanola. (Oh and their candy!)  I loved almost everything about Spain - except a lot of the people didn't like Americans too much, and the beach in Valencia was one gigantic ash tray.  Cigarette butts everywhere.  BEAUTIFUL castles!  And I loved their shoes, lol.

Thanks for bringing back the memories!  😄

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 4/15/2020 at 1:35 AM, RealReality said:

A man she has refused to meet suddenly just decides to show up in her city...

I might be wrong, but I thought David said he hadn’t told Lana that he was in her town. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Mamadrama you are killing me! That sounds devine! And there is not one speck of chocolate in my house. And I get too anxious to go out to the store so when I make the trip, it's so quick and despite having a list I s*** out and leave before getting anything.

Do they offer grocery delivery in your area?  If not you can get junk food from Amazon.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, Little said:

I might be wrong, but I thought David said he hadn’t told Lana that he was in her town. 

I thought he got the idea of driving to her town because she didn't show up at the station and wasn't available online but had no way to tell her he was coming. Even after he got there, he went around showing people her picture asking if they knew her. Finally, she was online when he was in his hotel room and he basically said, "Surprise! I'm here!" 

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

Do they offer grocery delivery in your area?  If not you can get junk food from Amazon.

My friend ordered a case of movie size boxes of Milk Duds from Amazon. They have EVERYTHING! 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Little said:

He did when he was chatting with her in his hotel room. That's how she knew to meet for lunch. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, hookedontv said:

As a general rule, I don't like Walmart, but their curbside pickup is fantastic.  It's decreased my anxiety because it's pretty damn flawless.  I even scored an extra free pineapple. 

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, RealReality said:

As a general rule, I don't like Walmart, but their curbside pickup is fantastic.  It's decreased my anxiety because it's pretty damn flawless.  I even scored an extra free pineapple. 

We live too far out for Amazon Fresh and the nearest Walmart or Kroger is an hour away. Our county only has one grocery store, a Save a Lot. Meal planning has been challenging lately. Luckily our garden did well last year so we had a lot of stuff canned and frozen, and I barter my books with a farm down the road for beef and eggs. I am seriously looking forward to good ice cream and cheese, though. I miss that the most. Save a Lot store brand is not the same.

I can't believe that David wouldn't mention Lana standing him up. He didn't want to spook her. Dude...

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

We live too far out for Amazon Fresh and the nearest Walmart or Kroger is an hour away. Our county only has one grocery store, a Save a Lot. Meal planning has been challenging lately. Luckily our garden did well last year so we had a lot of stuff canned and frozen, and I barter my books with a farm down the road for beef and eggs. I am seriously looking forward to good ice cream and cheese, though. I miss that the most. Save a Lot store brand is not the same.

I can't believe that David wouldn't mention Lana standing him up. He didn't want to spook her. Dude...

Bartering sounds fun!  I'm sitting on like a million bars of homemade soap so I finally have something useful to trade!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, renatae said:

Geoffrey: "I'm not that person anymore. I went to prison but I'm different. "

Yeah, you moved on from dealing drugs to worse, it seems. Be honest.

From smack to smack!

• LOL 8
  • Love 10

I caught this episode again on tonight’s rerun and I must say that I noticed a detail. When Rainbow Brite was talking to Stephanie, pouring her heart out about how Stephanie’s refusal to show any affection was hurting her, Steph was putting some jars (of medications, I think) back into a little bag ostensibly from a store called Mr. Cheese. 

Perhaps that was a producer’s silent comment about the melodrama. Very cheesy.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I watched the 20 minute 'preview'.

Geoffrey, Varya does have a right to know *all* of your criminal history, not bits and pieces. She will find out, eventually, the hard way. And she should meet your friends so they can tell her about you.

Erika was sweet to bring such a big bouquet of flowers as a peace offering. She is trying waaaay to hard with Little Miss Social Media. Maybe recognize that the online flirtation is not transferring well to reality.

Lisa reminded me of Barney in that purple scarf/headcovering. Her appearance was not that great - please comb the hair and maybe wear lipgloss or lipbalm. Usman's brother was honest - Lisa is an old, white, American woman. Mama Usman should ask her son why he is involved with her and if moving to America at such an expense is worth it to him. If she was 10 or so years older, their 'love' wouldn't seem so, er, um, uh, fake.

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, renatae said:

Geoffrey: "I'm not that person anymore. I went to prison but I'm different. "

Yeah, you moved on from dealing drugs to worse, it seems. Be honest

“I didn’t tell you because I’m not proud of it. And I just don’t want to randomly tell someone unless I’m getting close to them...and I thought that you should know.”

Umm, you couldn’t mentioned this little fun fact BEFORE you flew to Russia? Or at the very least before you boinked her? 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 12
13 minutes ago, Meowwww said:
4 hours ago, mamadrama said:

He did when he was chatting with her in his hotel room. That's how she knew to meet for lunch. 

He mentioned he had an address for her. 

I would be willing to bet money that it was an address where he could send money and gifts.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
On 4/13/2020 at 11:59 PM, magemaud said:

Lisa refers to Usman’s mother as “Mommy”? 

12331191-5DFC-40AF-80B2-079AF712D83A.jpeg

Lisa looked like the spider about to trap the fly while Mohammad was talking. She has this weird predatory look about her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Meowwww said:

He mentioned he had an address for her. 

She didn’t give him the address directly. When he bought a plane ticket for her, she had to give the airline an address. That’s how he got it.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Gobi said:

She didn’t give him the address directly. When he bought a plane ticket for her, she had to give the airline an address. That’s how he got it.

I'm thinking surely she gave a phony address?! This is SO set-up by TLC; if she were truly scamming this guy, why would she even tell him what town she lives in?  

I do believe 100% she's scamming him but this doesn't make sense.

I hope we have live chat open for the Quarantine special.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blubld43 said:

I'm thinking surely she gave a phony address?! This is SO set-up by TLC; if she were truly scamming this guy, why would she even tell him what town she lives in?  

I do believe 100% she's scamming him but this doesn't make sense.

I hope we have live chat open for the Quarantine special.

I also don't believe that its a real address. I think that whoever is scamming him (assuming any of this is real) figures they have already got far more out of him than expected. If he wises up, so what.

• Love 3

I love David's reasoning  that wandering around town and just happening to run into Lana would be less weird or surprising than just going to the address he has for her.  lol.  

Is he a "stalker" though?  I don't know if that's really a valid characterization of the situation.  If you could read back through their chats over the past few years and find a single instance where she said "no, I don't want to meet you ever.  Stop messaging me" then maybe...but once she's gone so far  as to invite him to fly across the ocean to meet (several times) I think  you've sort of lost the ability to play the stalker card.  She can't really say "I didn't think he'd actually fly to the Ukraine" at this point.  

That of course assumes there's anything truthful about the whole story at all.

And yeah, chances are that's not her real address anyway.  David probably knows that which is the real reason he'd rather just wander around hoping to run into her, lol.

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

And yeah, chances are that's not her real address anyway.  David probably knows that which is the real reason he'd rather just wander around hoping to run into her, lol.

Yeah . . . like he hasn't already been by there and saw the empty lot.  He just doesn't want US to see it, because it might make him look stupid.

A ship which has long-since sailed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Yeah . . . like he hasn't already been by there and saw the empty lot.  He just doesn't want US to see it, because it might make him look stupid

You would think the first thing he’d do when he got to her town was plug her “address” into his GPS. But no, he starts looking for all the candy stores in town in the remote chance that he finds the one she mentions going to regularly. 

Edited to add: There's an extra creepy factor in David going to candy stores. What's next? Trading in his rental for a windowless van? 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

I love David's reasoning  that wandering around town and just happening to run into Lana would be less weird or surprising than just going to the address he has for her.  lol.  

Is he a "stalker" though?  I don't know if that's really a valid characterization of the situation.  If you could read back through their chats over the past few years and find a single instance where she said "no, I don't want to meet you ever.  Stop messaging me" then maybe...but once she's gone so far  as to invite him to fly across the ocean to meet (several times) I think  you've sort of lost the ability to play the stalker card.  She can't really say "I didn't think he'd actually fly to the Ukraine" at this point.  

I'd still go with creepy stalker.  Talking to useless dudes on a paid chat service is Lana's job.  It's just modern phone sex for guys who want the "girlfriend experience"

Lana doesn't get paid by the tourism board and she doesn't get a cut of the price of plane tickets, so I don't think she "invited" him anywhere.  I think he invited himself and she said "yes, okay, tell me more", to keep him paying $2.99 a minute for chat.  

She hasn't given him a phone number, an email address, a Twitter handle and they aren't FB friends.  She has stood him up multiple times.  It's very clear she doesn't want to meet him in person and she doesn't want to interact with him off the service.  The same way a phone sex operator isn't giving a guy their real contact information, but will say whatever it takes to keep the guy on the phone and paying $1.99 a minute ... and a stripper isn't asking a guy to visit her even if she tells a guy they are really hot and she'd love to have sex when she is giving them a lap dance.  

He was not invited or asked to visit her.  He has not been asked or invited to call her.  She has given him nothing.  She didn't even bother with an excuse this most recent time and just ghosted him.  He sent her an angry message on the service and she bounced so he knows damn well she doesn't want to meet him.  

He is just hoping to ambush her and guilt her into a relationship.  That's creepy stalker.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 19
20 hours ago, hookedontv said:

You just reminded me of a zillion years ago when I studied abroad in Madrid and lived with a family. My "senora" made us hot chocolate, which was basically melting a block of chocolate with some other things, and homemade churros. Dunk the churro into the hot chocolate and it's a warm, delicious icing. 

And you just reminded me of my first trip to Madrid in 2001 (not quite a zillion years ago, but it sure feels like it). I have not had powdered hot chocolate since that trip. I seem to recall Starbucks trying to sell that type of drink (basically melted chocolate) at one point.

Edited by ExMathMajor
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Sounds like stalking to me. She's provided him with zero ways of contacting her outside of the pay-per-minute website. Despite being in a "relationship" with her for "7" years he has no phone numbers, no email...they're not even Facebook friends. The address he has for "her" came from a cruise ticket, not from an invitation from her for him to visit. She's proven, repeatedly, that she has no intentions of meeting him. Rather than cutting his losses, he travels many hours to her town, without an invitation, and rather than telling her or approaching her he instead starts approaching random businesses (that candy shop WAS random) and potentially invading her privacy by flashing her pictures around. She's been paid for every single interaction she's had with him.  

• Love 12

I would LOL so hard if he did eventually go to the address he has for her and it is a call centre where all the “Lanas” work getting money from gullible foreigners.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 9

Usman’s brother, Muhammad is handsome. Looks like Dominique Wilkins in his prime. 

Conversely...sigh...watching David’s bloated, sweaty, doughy body immersed in a Darcey shower is a memory I could’ve done without. I laughed to myself thinking what if the grocery store clerk, flower shop lady, and restaurant owner were all the same person.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

Usman’s brother, Muhammad is handsome. Looks like Dominique Wilkins in his prime. 

Conversely...sigh...watching David’s bloated, sweaty, doughy body immersed in a Darcey shower is a memory I could’ve done without. I laughed to myself thinking what if the grocery store clerk, flower shop lady, and restaurant owner were all the same person.

I could've done without it, too. On an earlier thread someone wondered if maybe David wore large shirts because he used to be heavy and had lost a lot of weight. That made sense to me. But then we saw him shirtless *shudder*...No flabby loose skin or anything. Just your regular, pasty older man pouch. 

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I could've done without it, too. On an earlier thread someone wondered if maybe David wore large shirts because he used to be heavy and had lost a lot of weight. That made sense to me. But then we saw him shirtless *shudder*...No flabby loose skin or anything. Just your regular, pasty older man pouch. 

He does have access to those Vegas buffets.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Spike said:

He does have access to those Vegas buffets.  

Those fuckers are out of control now. I remember when Rio's seafood buffet was the best one in town and cost an astronomical $25. Now that's basically the salad bar at Harrah's. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, magemaud said:

You would think the first thing he’d do when he got to her town was plug her “address” into his GPS. But no, he starts looking for all the candy stores in town in the remote chance that he finds the one she mentions going to regularly. 

Edited to add: There's an extra creepy factor in David going to candy stores. What's next? Trading in his rental for a windowless van? 

I thought it was odd he did not head directly to her address. Who buys 9 roses, wouldn't he have splurged a little and bought a few dozen if he was finally going to meet the love of his life?  He knew darn well Lana was never going to show up.  He said he waited from 2pm to 4pm but they showed a clock in the restaurant that read 5:40pm, production in play?

Did I miss David telling Lana where and when they were to meet?

Something tells me this is not first time David has gone to that town, he seems to know his way around considering the language barrier/not being able even read signage. 

Does David think saying "hmmmm" is foreplay?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Mama Usman should ask her son why he is involved with her and if moving to America at such an expense is worth it to him. If she was 10 or so years older, their 'love' wouldn't seem so, er, um, uh, fake.

Poor Usman . . . Just saw another Nigerian artist get uber worldwide exposure on the Global Citizen  concert special. Burna  Boy. He had a rich deep voice and TALENT! Apparently he’s got a U.S. recording contract and is Grammy nominated. Plus his video has a MODEL in it! LOL #Aspirations

Edited by ChiMama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, ChiMama said:

Poor Usman . . . Just saw another Nigerian artist get uber worldwide exposure on the Global Citizen  concert special. Burna  Boy. He had a rich deep voice and TALENT! Apparently he’s got a U.S. recording contract and is Grammy nominated. Plus his video has a MODEL in it! LOL #Aspirations

I caught that and had the same thoughts!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ChiMama said:

Nice!  I wonder why they all add "boy" to their names?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Maybe the 'boy' moniker is a thing. I found that as the Beach Boys aged, their material came across as a bit creepy.

And Boy George is like 55 now.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ChiMama said:

Burna boy has been around for a while now!

6 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

I think we can all agree that David would be a creepy stalker in normal circumstances, but since we don't know how much of this is producer driven, and I'll eat several hats if a female even sort of resembling the pictures lives at whatever address he's pulled out of his butt, I'll just label him a sad sack in a polo shirt.

P.S.  I have just decided that all of you are my girlfriends, and the loves of my life.  I don't care about your age, location, gender identity, or relationship status.  I have seen emojis, and that's enough for me.  Fair warning, I am unable to spend $100k on any/all of you.

Yes baby tell me more! I know a place we can chat for just a few $ a minute!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, charmed1 said:

David, Caesar, and possibly Yolanda (okay, everyone on this show who “fell in love” on Facebook) all seem to be lacking a level of discernment that most adults should have. It seems that none of them matured beyond about 12 years old. 

Let me tell you a story. Picture it. The United States, mid-late 80s. A beautiful 9-year-old latchkey kid is watching cartoons after school. A commercial flashes across the screen, promising personalized jokes told by Bugs Bunny and all his friends if you called this particular 1-900 number. 99 cents for the first minute, $1.99 after. Remember that, Gen Xers?  I was sold. I called the first time and could only hear heavy static and the faint laugh of Woody Woodpecker. I figured I had a bad connection so I hung up and called again. Same thing. I called 12 more times. I completely forgot about it until my mother got the phone bill. Yikes. All I remember is yelling and then a rush of relief after she called the number, realizing it wasn’t a phone sex line. I was still in big trouble, but she was happy I wasn’t a pre-teen perv. I just realized that Bugs Bunny scam is similar to Dave’s e-romance with Lana. It took me 10 minutes to realize I was being scammed at 9-years-old. David is still going strong after seven years. 

"What's up, Dave?"

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 4/17/2020 at 9:01 PM, mamadrama said:

I was at Sav-A-Lot this morning and thought of you as I grabbed my Arby's curly fries and some Dr. Pop.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Did I miss David telling Lana where and when they were to meet?

You didn’t miss it unless I did, too. David read a message aloud to production that Lana wanted to meet for lunch but I thought it was odd that he didn’t say where or what time. 

3 hours ago, Kangatush said:

Fair warning, I am unable to spend $100k on any/all of you.

What a blow we have been dealt! 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, magemaud said:

You didn’t miss it unless I did, too. David read a message aloud to production that Lana wanted to meet for lunch but I thought it was odd that he didn’t say where or what time. 

What a blow we have been dealt! 

For those who didn’t see Jenny and Sumit will be back for another season!  

• Love 3