Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Should've Known Better

• Start Topic

On 4/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, mamadrama said:

Okay, one of you guys need to watch this so that I can start the snarking. I'm loving Brother Usman. Stephanie can suck my toe. She's manipulating and almost gaslighting Erika and the whole wanting to get to the bottom of Erkia's friendship with the dude is just her trying to find more justification for keeping her at arm's length. 

The real winner of the night is the server at David's restaurant. I need her on Pillow Talk. 

LOL.  

I was interested in that guy in the corner by the door.  

That restaurant didn't have internet or wifi and all that guy did was sit along in a corner for as long as David was there (2+ hours) fiddling with his phone and drinking a glass of water.  

I wonder if he was the lookout?  Like if in a normal situation, without a camera crew, he would be sizing up the mark, seeing if he has any valuables, etc, etc.  and communicating that info to someone else. 

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, RealReality said:

So, let's assume for a second that Lana is a real woman who really lives in wherever the hell.

A man she has refused to meet suddenly just decides to show up in her city, admits to it and goes around to your favorite haunts asking people if they can give him your personal information.  After you've ghosted him and stood him up.  

If Lana was a real person, this is so stalkerish and abnormal.  I think we laugh because it's a scam, but if a woman has been this clear that she has no interest in meeting you, and you so all this....you're a stalker.  

That David honestly thought that she was going to meet him and suddenly want to start the Visa process when she has ghosted him several times is just so weird.  

And OMG, that darcy'esque bird bath.  Yikes.  At least he didn't spray any axe or body fantasies colonge on his balls.  

Men who cannot take no for an answer aren't cute, they aren't pitiful they are scary and creepy. 

He thinks she’s a filly that needs to be tamed.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, RealReality said:

So, let's assume for a second that Lana is a real woman who really lives in wherever the hell.

A man she has refused to meet suddenly just decides to show up in her city, admits to it and goes around to your favorite haunts asking people if they can give him your personal information.  After you've ghosted him and stood him up.  

If Lana was a real person, this is so stalkerish and abnormal.  I think we laugh because it's a scam, but if a woman has been this clear that she has no interest in meeting you, and you so all this....you're a stalker.  

That David honestly thought that she was going to meet him and suddenly want to start the Visa process when she has ghosted him several times is just so weird.  

And OMG, that darcy'esque bird bath.  Yikes.  At least he didn't spray any axe or body fantasies colonge on his balls.  

Men who cannot take no for an answer aren't cute, they aren't pitiful they are scary and creepy. 

Yeah, but if she's a real woman (a big "if" of course) then she HASN'T said no to him.  She's done the opposite!  She's continued to communicate with him and to take part in "plans" to meet...and then just hasn't followed through.  Now you can say he should take "the hint" but if the hint is followed up with more communicating and then new plans to meet?  I mean yeah, David is an idiot who should get the message (again if we are assuming Lana is a real woman)...but I don't think it's really a "stalker" situation.  If Lana is a real person, she's obviously catfishing him and scamming him for money in which case, she gets what she deserves...and so does he.  Neither of them is "innocent." 

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 23
10 hours ago, RealReality said:

We can’t know that for sure. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Yeah, but if she's a real woman (a big "if" of course) then she HASN'T said no to him.  She's done the opposite!  She's continued to communicate with him and to take part in "plans" to meet...and then just hasn't followed through.  Now you can say he should take "the hint" but if the hint is followed up with more communicating and then new plans to meet?  I mean yeah, David is an idiot who should get the message (again if we are assuming Lana is a real woman)...but I don't think it's really a "stalker" situation.  If Lana is a real person, she's obviously catfishing him and scamming him for money in which case, she gets what she deserves...and so does he.  Neither of them is "innocent." 

That's kind of it, like what human being, at 60, doesn't realize that something is wrong if a woman responds to your creepy stalker moves by asking to get married?  

• Love 11

Her message was so brief and impersonal, but he got so excited.   No wonder “Lana” has been able to string him along for 7 years.   If the Lana in the photos ever walked in, he would keel over.    Or find an excuse to reject her like he did Anya.   He wants the fantasy woman.  A real one would scare him.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 18
21 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Her message was so brief and impersonal, but he got so excited.   No wonder “Lana” has been able to string him along for 7 years.   If the Lana in the photos ever walked in, he would keel over.    Or find an excuse to reject her like he did Anya.   He wants the fantasy woman.  A real one would scare him.  

So we all agree David should just go ahead and get a silicone dolls, right ?  JK...kinda.....maybe....not really. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, RealReality said:

IF Lana was a real person, to have a man fly across the world not once, not twice... but FOUR times and she SAYS she will meet him and encourages him to come - is so unbelievably wrong, after he's spent $100,000 talking on ONE SPECIFIC website  because SHE refused to talk on a cell phone or skype or some other means of communicating in this 21st century - that doesn't cost $100 a minute or whatever.  If someone is going to play psychological games in such a way that it costs another person hundreds of thousands of dollars because she is stringing him along... than she just might expect some guy is going to get PISSED and stalk her.  You reap what you sow.  It makes them BOTH criminals of a sort, justify it as you try.

However I don't for a minute even think that Lana is a woman.  Or if she is, she's old, ugly and fat.  It's just a computer scam to bilk gullible men out of big bucks.

20 minutes ago, RealReality said:

So we all agree David should just go ahead and get a silicone dolls, right ?  JK...kinda.....maybe....not really. 

The popular opinion is that he already has a few.

Edited by Kyanight
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Yeah his responses to her incredibly lukewarm and unenthusiastic messages are so weirdly over-excited that if he is for real, I'd say he has mental issues, lol.  

He's come to the Ukraine to meet her.  She doesn't show up at the train station.  Then she leaves him hanging for what, a couple days?  Then she sends him a message asking if he still wants to meet.  He says yes and asks her to meet him the following day...she says OK and that's it??  She logs off?  No "I'm so sorry I couldn't make it two days ago and then didn't message for 48 hours.  My bathroom door jammed and I was locked in there..." or any sort of BS apology at all?  And he just laps it up!  lol...I just wish it were all real!     

• LOL 2
  • Love 18

The website probably doesn’t allow the models to communicate outside chat and if they are caught they will be fired.  Lots of cam sites are like that, they don’t want to lose their cut by having the model and the customer Skype directly.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Yeah his responses to her incredibly lukewarm and unenthusiastic messages are so weirdly over-excited that if he is for real, I'd say he has mental issues, lol.  

He's come to the Ukraine to meet her.  She doesn't show up at the train station.  Then she leaves him hanging for what, a couple days?  Then she sends him a message asking if he still wants to meet.  He says yes and asks her to meet him the following day...she says OK and that's it??  She logs off?  No "I'm so sorry I couldn't make it two days ago and then didn't message for 48 hours.  My bathroom door jammed and I was locked in there..." or any sort of BS apology at all?  And he just laps it up!  lol...I just wish it were all real!     

I just realized....she didn’t even comment on the fact that he had driven 8 hours to her “hometown”.   It is almost like “she” doesn’t care.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

David makes me really sad, I feel bad snarking on him. I really hope this is all an act because how can one person be so dense? To see him so lovingly staring at his computer after she sends some emojis or whatever, and then gets stood up again. Maybe this quarantine is making me soft

• LOL 10
  • Love 13

At $6K each, he could have bought 16 dolls for the $100K he spent on Lana, and had change left over. Cost of hand lotion for each is probably about the same.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Gobi said:

At $6K each, he could have bought 16 dolls for the $100K he spent on Lana, and had change left over. Cost of hand lotion for each is probably about the same.

And he would need doll cleaner.  You don't want crusty holes.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Spike said:

The website probably doesn’t allow the models to communicate outside chat and if they are caught they will be fired.  Lots of cam sites are like that, they don’t want to lose their cut by having the model and the customer Skype directly.

Is this one also Anastasia Date? If so, couples are able to take communication offsite.

I'm not even sure he's talking to a real person. The coldness, refusal to comment on obvious things (why she missed the meeting, that he's in her town, etc)... I'm starting to think that he's just talking to one of those automated things. You know how when you're Googling a new dry patch on your arm and you find yourself on a website for toe cancer and a little picture of a model pops up and says "Hi, how can I help you today"? You're not really talking to a doctor...wonder if David knows that? 

Edited by mamadrama
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6

I was watching to see whether the guy on the other side of the cafe was trying to send messages that would - coincidentally - cause David's phone to beep.  But then David mentioned he didn't have internet coverage in the cafe, so it became a moot point.

But - really - some guy sits there watching David out of the corner of his eye for TWO HOURS with nothing more obvious than a glass of water on his table????

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
Just now, AZChristian said:

I was watching to see whether the guy on the other side of the cafe was trying to send messages that would - coincidentally - cause David's phone to beep.  But then David mentioned he didn't have internet coverage in the cafe, so it became a moot point.

But - really - some guy sits there watching David out of the corner of his eye for TWO HOURS with nothing more obvious than a glass of water on his table????

Unless that guy was part of the TLC crew.

• Useful 7
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Kyanight said:

Unless that guy was part of the TLC crew.

Interesting thought . . . but what would he be doing within the line of sight of the camera?

But then, for all we know, a lot of the passersby, etc., on all of these sidewalks could be crew members, too.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Interesting thought . . . but what would he be doing within the line of sight of the camera?

But then, for all we know, a lot of the passersby, etc., on all of these sidewalks could be crew members, too.  

I don't know but also noticed him right across from old David and if it really WAS 2 hours and not a 5 minute set-up by TLC, that guy was there a long time.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

As long as he didn't stand out as a crew member (no camera, headset, etc) they probably figured it didn't matter. That we'd just think he was a local.

FWIW, restaurant and cafe culture over there is a little different than ours. I've sat with nothing but a cup of tea or hot chocolate (Eastern European hot cocoa is basically chocolate mud and it is glorious) and written in my journal or read for two hours. Conversely, the McDonald's in my town has a sign up limiting inside diners to thirty minutes and that was before the coronavirus.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, itsadryheat said:

Ash looked like he wanted to jump overboard than continue with the grilling Avery was giving him. Quite the facial expressions.

Right?   Ash has about four different answers for every question.  "I'm working on that".  "I can understand why you feel that way".  I can't remember any more, so maybe those two work for all situations, lol.   That would literally drive me crazy to be with a man who NEVER answered a question with a straight answer.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

David: she's starting to feel like my Lana again! 

Dude. She said TWO WORDS. And it was the same word repeated. 

That's why I think "Lana" is more than one person.  In the brief glimpses of her typing she goes from perfect English, larger words, and proper grammar, to lots of emojis, to broken English...

• Useful 5
  • Love 8

I keep thinking this is fake until I see the supporting characters. Example: Usmans brother. The look on his face was priceless. Totally dumbfounded at Usman and the person sitting next to him. Expression was a combo of not wanting to laugh/trying to figure out what was wrong with Usman/ horror at BGL/knowing his mother was going to flip out if he brought up the topic.

I'd give that dope David a bit of credit if he would have chugged the bottle of champagne rather that the tiny glass.

Edited by itsadryheat
  • Love 12

I'm starting to doubt a single thing about David's story is true. 

It's funny, though, that TLC blurs our Lana'a "real" name on the chat site that he uses. At one point you can clearly see that her name is "Svetlana", which is what "Lana" is short for anyway. That's like blurring out "Johnathon" for a guy people call "John."

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Right?   Ash has about four different answers for every question.  "I'm working on that".  "I can understand why you feel that way".  I can't remember any more, so maybe those two work for all situations, lol.   That would literally drive me crazy to be with a man who NEVER answered a question with a straight answer.

Does he even have a real personality?  All I hear are his professional lines, to the point you wonder if he is in there at all.  Does he do this in bed, stick to a script?  Ugh.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, blubld43 said:

Does he even have a real personality?  All I hear are his professional lines, to the point you wonder if he is in there at all.  Does he do this in bed, stick to a script?  Ugh.

He could use those same two answers in bed.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I just realized....she didn’t even comment on the fact that he had driven 8 hours to her “hometown”.   It is almost like “she” doesn’t care.  

This!  Any human, real woman who has repeatedly ghosted you and made it crystal clear that she has no interest in meeting you, would have been freaked the hell out that this guy, instead of taking her clear hints.....decided to try to track her down so he could meet her against her will or contact her against her will.  

If candy shop lady had given him an address or a phone number he would have just shown up there or called her....without her agreeing that he should visit her, without her inviting him and without her giving him her phone number. 

It's all hypothetical because Lana isn't real, but if she was, David is a creepy stalker.  No real woman would respond to finding out that creepy stalker drove eight hours to your hometown uninvited with "do you want to meet and take pictures so we can get married". 

Her reaction alone should be proof positive that this is not the real deal.  

Had he been patient with Anya, he could have had sex by now.  Instead he has was too eager and impatient and now he is in a situation where he has waited seven years and gotten no sex.  

• Love 7
19 hours ago, AZChristian said:

But they already had a couple in that restaurant eating.  They didn't need someone else to set the scene....those people looked real.  That guy in the corner was not eating so he didn't look like part of a scene.   He just kept fiddling with his phone and had a glass of water in front of him. I think he once or twice interacted with the water.  

I found it weird too.  If the place doesn't have wifi, why would you just sit in there on your phone with a cup of water?  And why is a savvy restaurant owner like that woman letting you get away with just hanging around with the glass of water.  She seems like she would want you to order something besides tap water!

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, RealReality said:

But they already had a couple in that restaurant eating.  They didn't need someone else to set the scene....those people looked real.  That guy in the corner was not eating so he didn't look like part of a scene.   He just kept fiddling with his phone and had a glass of water in front of him. I think he once or twice interacted with the water.  

I found it weird too.  If the place doesn't have wifi, why would you just sit in there on your phone with a cup of water?  And why is a savvy restaurant owner like that woman letting you get away with just hanging around with the glass of water.  She seems like she would want you to order something besides tap water!

I find that happens a lot, though. People do tend to hang out for a long time, even without food. We're used to a restaurant culture of "either order something or get out" but in my time in the Ukraine I've found people to be totally lax about just hanging.  

I first thought that maybe he was there to pick someone up, but the filming carried on longer than planned so he sat there and fiddled on his phone while he waited. And then I thought that maybe the whole scene really only lasted 45 minutes and they're lying to us about the two hours. Maybe he'd ordered something or had met someone there earlier and now he's waiting for a train or a ride. My guess, though, is that it was someone from production. They may have even seated him there intentionally so that it would inspire the "was that dude really Lana" convo. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

People do tend to hang out for a long time, even without food

After he left, didn't the woman who took the flowers and say "why waste good flowers", also say "this happens alot. People come here to meet and one person never shows up."

It was an odd statement to me, like this restaurant is the catfish meeting place.

Edited by itsadryheat
  • Love 19

I'm half-waiting for him to see "Lana" walking down the street and approach her, only for her to respond with "My name is Olga. I'm a professional model. An agency in town pays me to pose for pictures occasionally. Now go away, you silly old American with that ridiculous hairpiece."

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
On 4/14/2020 at 12:35 PM, Spike said:

Ed shirtless and then David shirtless.  Good way to suppress viewers’ libidos  appetites during the pandemic.  Thanks, TLC!

FTFY, Spikey

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
On 4/15/2020 at 8:36 PM, mamadrama said:

hot chocolate (Eastern European hot cocoa is basically chocolate mud and it is glorious

You just reminded me of a zillion years ago when I studied abroad in Madrid and lived with a family. My "senora" made us hot chocolate, which was basically melting a block of chocolate with some other things, and homemade churros. Dunk the churro into the hot chocolate and it's a warm, delicious icing. 

This is why I cannot keep junkfood in my house during quarantine folks... I'd eat it all up in a second. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

You just reminded me of a zillion years ago when I studied abroad in Madrid and lived with a family. My "senora" made us hot chocolate, which was basically melting a block of chocolate with some other things, and homemade churros. Dunk the churro into the hot chocolate and it's a warm, delicious icing. 

This is why I cannot keep junkfood in my house during quarantine folks... I'd eat it all up in a second. 

In some of the southeastern European countries like Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, etc they have cafes where you can find pages of hot chocolate on the menus. Hazelnut, banana, cherry, dark, white, turtle... thick enough to eat with a spoon. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

In some of the southeastern European countries like Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, etc they have cafes where you can find pages of hot chocolate on the menus. Hazelnut, banana, cherry, dark, white, turtle... thick enough to eat with a spoon.

Mamadrama you are killing me! That sounds devine! And there is not one speck of chocolate in my house. And I get too anxious to go out to the store so when I make the trip, it's so quick and despite having a list I s*** out and leave before getting anything.

And I am generally an easy going person. This virus is really something else. 

• Love 5