Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Monsters and Heroes

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

No, these last three episodes are set in 1771. 

I know, I was being facetious.  😉  I was surprised the other poster thought that the show had jumped 100 years. 

Edited by cardigirl
On 4/21/2020 at 1:53 PM, Cdh20 said:

I think some people  missed the point of Claire’s touch! These two have a special bond, something kind of magical if you will, can I say that because it’s a show that includes time travel? In case you missed it sex is also a very important ingredient in their relationship, but that was not what I got out of that scene- it was intimacy at its finest! 

I do not mind all the jokes though, I find them highly amusing! 

The handjob was a bit much though. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 4/20/2020 at 5:05 PM, ferjy said:

It really was. It’s not as if he’s an athlete, or a teenager. Or a weenie like me. I’d rather have my leg cut off than have a bowlful of maggots munching on me. {{shudder}} 😉

That’s what I would have warned Claire about. “Ye can cut off my leg, but put those wee beasties on me and I canna answer for my actions.” 😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Lola82 said:

Agreed, it was about their bond. Skin to skin contact is extremely important for newborns and mothers to solidify a bond so why not have it work in this case. 

Body to body, sure. Hand to dick? Not so much. 😏

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Question that I ask rhetorically: who sleeps in the nude when they sleep in the same room with a toddler who can see and say things?

Questions because I have no idea:

1. Do they have that kind of fall foliage in North Carolina? I thought the picture of rolling hill with fall foliage (especially if the trees are maple) was typical to U.S. Northeast / Canada East.
  2. Why did they hunt? Did the not have livestock in the farms of Fraser Ridge?

Snuggling together naked to help someone with hypothermia (as Jamie indicated he was cold) is a technique that is still used today. However, for that to work of course they both need to be under the blanket tightly. And no, that technique does not include reaching down and make a stroke.

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Why did they hunt? Did the not have livestock in the farms of Fraser Ridge?

Just a guess - probably both. Maybe they don't have enough of a sustainable livestock yet. Plus, the chance to get a bison. The animal offers more than just the meat. The skins, etc. 

4 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Question that I ask rhetorically: who sleeps in the nude when they sleep in the same room with a toddler who can see and say things?

Questions because I have no idea:

1. Do they have that kind of fall foliage in North Carolina? I thought the picture of rolling hill with fall foliage (especially if the trees are maple) was typical to U.S. Northeast / Canada East.
  2. Why did they hunt? Did the not have livestock in the farms of Fraser Ridge?

1. They're in the mountains so, yes, they do have that kind of fall foliage in North Carolina.

2. Livestock are not an infinite resource. The hunting supplements what they farm for themselves.

On 4/20/2020 at 6:29 PM, Hanahope said:

Clair will need to be careful with the make-shift syringe since it won’t be airtight.  Don’t squeeze till empty.

She strangely injected into the wound instead of a vein, so I think she was safe that time. 

On 4/23/2020 at 8:32 AM, Lola82 said:

Maybe it's like in the movie Crank where you gotta get the adrenaline up 🙂

But blood rushing south could have been deadly. 

• LOL 1

This was a harrowing episode.  This season seems to have a lot of these slower, almost claustrophobic episodes.  They have all been sort of interesting.

It was really frustrating that Roger walked around in circles.  Twice.  Do they have to make him a failure in everything?

I'm glad Roger and Jaime's relationship has finally reached a breakthrough.  We never saw Jaime finding out about the locust swarm and how Roger saved the day.

Young Ian's speech to Jaime was great, and I too liked the conversation between Ian and Fergus.  I don't know if the book has less Fergus so they are just following the source material, but I agree that he should have had a conversation with Jaime.

I kept waiting for them to bring up the snake head.  They never had Roger showing Claire, so I was wondering if he was asking around for an identification.  Or if they could use Roger's blood since he sucked some of the poison.  The syringe made out of the snake fangs was unexpected.

I thought they had dropped the idea of Brianna as an engineer.  On a farm with so much new construction, you'd think she would have had some ideas about how to make things more efficient by now.  

Watching them dying the cloth blue was interesting too.

So Jaime has an elaborate plan for Bonnet.  I'm sad I'm nearing the end of this season, and there's no more to watch until new ones are made/released.  I'm guessing they will confront Bonnet soon.  Can't say I'm looking forward to that if Bonnet escapes again.

I have no interest in watching Jaime fight another war.  Arrgh.

• Love 1

I gave a big ol Awwww when Marsali said she considers Claire her Ma and wants her there for the delivery, suck on that Leery! But Marsali, girl, you don't go out into the woods for a mushroom walkabout when you're ready to go into labor at any moment!

Claire's opening narration was welcomed by me, it's a nice touchstone to earlier, better seasons.

So they've been living on Fraser's Ridge for how long now, and this is the first time they see Bison? Weird.

The whole snake bite thing was waaaay too prolonged, but I guess they wanted me to feel the passage of time? The first thing I thought was "Roger, take the snake with you for anti venom and/or ID!' Good lad. And why didn't they tie Rogers' stock around the wound when he went off to find the others, duh! You know about alcohol for cleansing things Jamie, but not how to wrap a cut? And what a stupid plan that they should all separate but then meet back at the homestead if they don't connect later in the day. Because, yanno, a LOT can go wrong out there, duh!

Jamie's speech about dying and needing Roger to kill Bonnet was so cheesy and overdone IMO. Then Jamie passes out and looks like he might be dead and Roger just sits there, no 'OMG, dont you die Jamie Fraser', just acts like Jamie's taking a wee nap. I was also hella annoyed with Jamie always calling Roger 'Roger Mac', it's weird and patronizing in a passive aggressive way.

Annoying comment: If they were all dying cloth with indigo, their hands and arms would be blue stained. Hill tribes in Northern Thailand dye indigo and they are perpetually blue skinned.

Claire was stuck between a rock and a hard place with Jamie wanting her to promise not to amputate his leg. And Ian's speech to him was fabulous! John Bell is such a wonderful actor and we really need waaaaay more of Ian and Fergus in this show! They are wonderful together. Fergus is always the wise one, and Ian the one running on emotion, they are a perfect duo.

Making a syringe? They should just rename this show: MacGuyvlander or OutGyver already!

As for whether or not Claire was administering a handy to Jamie, I didn't think that at all. I thought she was trying to warm him by full body contact, and rubbing his sides whilst doing so. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 2/20/2022 at 6:37 PM, gingerella said:

And Ian's speech to him was fabulous! John Bell is such a wonderful actor and we really need waaaaay more of Ian and Fergus in this show! They are wonderful together. Fergus is always the wise one, and Ian the one running on emotion, they are a perfect duo.

Agreed!

• Love 2
On 4/20/2021 at 1:36 AM, Camera One said:

It was really frustrating that Roger walked around in circles.  Twice.  Do they have to make him a failure in everything?

This frustrates me, too.  He's an intelligent, well-read man. He worked as a boat hand on the Gloriana.  He should be able to tell which direction he's walking.  He is by far the more palatable half of the Bri-Rog duo, and I'm annoyed that she's portrayed as perfect at everything, and he's just bumbling around everywhere.  I know we want to show that he's out of place, but we get it already.  

And Ian's speech to him was fabulous! John Bell is such a wonderful actor and we really need waaaaay more of Ian and Fergus in this show! They are wonderful together. Fergus is always the wise one, and Ian the one running on emotion, they are a perfect duo.

Total bright spots of the show.  Fergus isn't given much to do for us, but when he gets something, he nails it.  

As for whether or not Claire was administering a handy to Jamie, I didn't think that at all. I thought she was trying to warm him by full body contact, and rubbing his sides whilst doing so. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm on Team No Handy, as well.  I think she was just rubbing her hands up and down his skin to warm him up.  Not specifying which skin, but just skin, ya ken?  

This one was a little disappointing to me.  I wasn't buying it, I guess, which is disappointing.  I find myself wanting to get back to Ian, Marsali, and Fergus and fast-forwarding through anything with Bri in it, which is a lot these days.  I wasn't even feeling Claire's anguish about maybe needing to cut off Jamie's leg, because she was talking about it with Bri, who I feel really sucks the energy out of every scene.  And at one point, I asked myself, "Why are you still watching this show?" which is hugely bizarre for me.  I mean, I made it the whole way through the cesspits of Outlanders of the Caribbean and most of Season 4, and I do feel Season 5 is a vast improvement on those efforts.  I don't know.  Maybe world events have me feeling glum? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1