Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Dottie makes an unexpected connection when she meets a fellow stroke survivor, Hank (John Ratzenberger), at physical therapy. Also, Bob and Douglas try to keep tabs on Christina while she's away at an emotional wellness spa.

Airdate: 04/13/2020

I think this is the last episode due to the coronavirus. 

Anyone remember Christine Ebersole (Dottie) singing that song "We ain't got a barrel of money" with Edward Herrmann in Richie Rich?

I love Abishola's dry humor.

Christina now in love with Randy. LOL.

The ending was sweet. 

• Love 6

I like Abishola in the matchmaker role it was nice to see her be more playful for once. I also liked how she let her guard down with Bob at the end of the episode, it's cute how their relationship is slowly growing.

I did not see why she had to be so rude to the male nurse though, she can just say she has a serious boyfriend and I'm sure he would understand.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Harvey said:

I did not see why she had to be so rude to the male nurse though, she can just say she has a serious boyfriend and I'm sure he would understand.

As someone who has not had a relationship since separating from my husband 30 years ago, Abishola’s responses to the other nurse’s flirtations rang true to me. Either you (a) want to test the waters, (b) engage in banter that you know will not go anywhere, or (c) not waste any precious energy.
Abishola’s shutdowns of the good-looking and  convenient guy/Guy who likely shared many of her interests and perspectives served to tell both the audience and the other character that she was not considering anyone else and also that she had no energy to expend on banter or sympathy for him. Plus, his suitability demands a clear “No. No. And no.” lest he think she is just being coy. 
Guy existed solely to demonstrate that in Abishola’s mind, she is off the market. Even his name (“Guy”) is a comedic nod to his being a nonentity beyond this. 

• Love 8

I know it was played for cheap laughs, but I cannot stop laughing at Dottie and Popeye dancing — especially when he twirled her!

I am embarrassed to admit I didn’t recognize Popeye at first.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I know it was played for cheap laughs, but I cannot stop laughing at Dottie and Popeye dancing — especially when he twirled her!

I am embarrassed to admit I didn’t recognize Popeye at first.

Don't feel embarrassed. John Ratzenberger has changed as he's aged (as many of us have). And he didn't use his Cliff Clavin voice--or his Hamm voice. 

And I'm calling the character Popeye as well. I can't recall his real name. 

This was the first time I actually liked Dottie in an episode. She's still annoying as hell, but she was more vulnerable than I've seen her in a while. 

• Love 6
On 4/14/2020 at 3:39 AM, Harvey said:

I like Abishola in the matchmaker role it was nice to see her be more playful for once. I also liked how she let her guard down with Bob at the end of the episode, it's cute how their relationship is slowly growing

If this was the last episode due to the corona virus, they finished strong. This was the most I've liked Abishola all season - she came across as a real, 3-dimensional person for once, with a range of emotions, no "happy, angry, same face" for a change. And the closing scene on the park bench was sweet, it was the first time Bob and Abby seemed like a real couple. Some shows struggle to find a groove early on, and this may be one of them. But it showed enough promise that I'm actually looking forward to next season.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 6

I was all for Abishola shutting down the flirty aide. In my experience, if you don't make a VERY FIRM BOUNDARY, most guys will persist in trying to wear you down.

Also, she's tired. I like that she doesn't waste energy on small talk or anything else she doesn't really want to do.

• Love 6

I thought this was a very sweet episode. I loved Abishola and Dottie's interactions, I liked Dottie and Popeye dancing and flirting, and I loved Abishola feeling so comfortable with Bob that she fell asleep on his shoulder. I still would have liked more of a build-up of their relationship because it feels like they were just getting to know each other and -- boom! -- suddenly they're dating seriously.

And I still get a kick that Goodwin and Kofo still refer to Bob's brother and sister as "Mr. Wheeler's Brother" and "Mr. Wheeler's Sister."

• Love 5

It's kind of weird that the show is supposedly about Bob and Abishola but hardly any of what they show is is about their relationship. It's almost all about their families. Bob acknowledging it at the end of the episode didn't really fix the problem.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

It's kind of weird that the show is supposedly about Bob and Abishola but hardly any of what they show is is about their relationship. It's almost all about their families. Bob acknowledging it at the end of the episode didn't really fix the problem.

I agree.  At least we saw Bob and Abishola having a nice romantic moment in this episode, the kind which we should have been seeing more of all season leading up to this point.  Then maybe he wouldn't have had to make that kind of acknowledgement about their families.  I still don't know why the show couldn't have given us more of that while still having some of the family stuff.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe Bob’s acknowledgement at the end —how there was literally almost no time for Bob and Abishola alone— was a breaking of the 4th wall to tell us that the show is really about the families coming together rather than about just the 2 of them. Don’t all the family stories involve both families except Christina and Kofu, which is also about the confluence of 2 cultures that are Midwestern American white and Nigerian immigrant? It seems that “Bob hearting/loving Abishola” was just a catalyst for the plots of the series. I suspect this was the way the series was pitched even if it was not marketed that way, and it doesn’t mean we won’t get any romance.

• Love 4
On 4/14/2020 at 5:53 PM, possibilities said:

I was all for Abishola shutting down the flirty aide. In my experience, if you don't make a VERY FIRM BOUNDARY, most guys will persist in trying to wear you down.

Also, she's tired. I like that she doesn't waste energy on small talk or anything else she doesn't really want to do.

Abishola has very firm boundaries, all right.  Look how she treated/treats Bob and she supposedly likes him!  Finally, some sparks and affection between Bob and Abishola.  We waited most of the season for this.  And I am chiming in late, but I loved how Abishola kicked Lorraine out of Bob's house, and Bob loving her for it!   I had serious doubts about this show, but it seems to be finding it's groove.  

• Love 5