Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E19: Just the Cheese; Nuero Energy; First Saturday; Seriously Slime

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

An entrepreneur wants to get into the cheese business; an energy product to keep people awake and alert on the go; a play-driven environment for kids; a garden product designed to keep homes free of pests; Daniel Lubetzky guest judges.

• Love 1

The pest control sounds great.   I'm so glad they got a deal, because it sounds like a good, safe product for pest control.  

The cheese bar people made me very suspicious that they didn't really care about a deal, but the publicity of being on Shark Tank.   The product sounds fantastic, but I do't think they were ever going to give up enough equity, or royalties to interest one shark.  

The energy product bored me so much that I didn't even watch much of the pitch, and I don't even care if they received a deal or not.   

The slime stuff just looks icky to me, and I didn't realize how badly it stains furniture and fabric.     Maybe someone should invent a slime that doesn't stain, instead of more regular slime.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The slime stuff just looks icky to me, and I didn't realize how badly it stains furniture and fabric.     Maybe someone should invent a slime that doesn't stain, instead of more regular slime.

If their idea had been to let kids play with slime at their party locations, then have them leave it there it would have made sense. Having them make slim to take home didn't solve the problem of doing damage with it at home. Also, don't parents make rules anymore? Slim didn't exist when I was a kid, but playdough was just as damaging. We could play with it in the basement or outside only. Can't slim have the same kind of restrictions?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The energy product bored me so much that I didn't even watch much of the pitch, and I don't even care if they received a deal or not.   

I certainly hope they are telling people it has caffeine in it before they have them do their taste tests. Some people can't have caffeine for medical or religious reasons. I had a demonstrator at the grocery store let me sip her caffeinated water before she told me it had caffeine in it. I hadn't swallowed it yet, so I spit it out on her and asked what stupid fool would put caffeine in water.

Those guys weren't there for a deal. Kevin offered them exactly what they wanted except it included a royalty, too. They make the stuff for $0.65 and sell it for $3.99. The could certainly handle a $0.50 royalty if their sales were are high as they claimed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

I certainly hope they are telling people it has caffeine in it before they have them do their taste tests. Some people can't have caffeine for medical or religious reasons. I had a demonstrator at the grocery store let me sip her caffeinated water before she told me it had caffeine in it. I hadn't swallowed it yet, so I spit it out on her and asked what stupid fool would put caffeine in water.

Those guys weren't there for a deal. Kevin offered them exactly what they wanted except it included a royalty, too. They make the stuff for $0.65 and sell it for $3.99. The could certainly handle a $0.50 royalty if their sales were are high as they claimed.

The problem with Kevin’s offers is that they’re mostly always terrible . And his royalties last forever rather than for a certain time frame . I wouldn’t want that either . 

the cheese guy wasn’t looking for a deal .

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

The problem with Kevin’s offers is that they’re mostly always terrible . And his royalties last forever rather than for a certain time frame . I wouldn’t want that either . 

They said they were planning to sell the company a few years down the road. They wouldn't have been working with Kevin in perpetuity.

I have no kids and never knew anything about slime and started down a rabbit hole of research. There are actually YouTubers who make slime videos.

I learned that the most basic recipe uses white glue mixed with Borax and water. I always wondered why I saw these giant containers of Elmer’s Glue at office supply stores. Must be for kids’ parties. It’s not as if people are refilling their little bottles of glue from gallon containers. Can anyone confirm?  

• Love 3

The Just The Cheese bars are excellent. I live in WI and have had them locally and have gotten boxes of them from Amazon. They are expensive. I didn’t think the owner was really interested in a deal. The company is doing really well as it is. For a low carb, satisfying snack, they are great.  

• Useful 1
Just now, Quickbeam said:

The Just The Cheese bars are excellent. I live in WI and have had them locally and have gotten boxes of them from Amazon. They are expensive. I didn’t think the owner was really interested in a deal. The company is doing really well as it is. For a low carb, satisfying snack, they are great.  

They sure did sound delicious, but I’m hesitant to order a box of 10 from Amazon for a taste test - nearly $20 is a lot to drop on something I may not even like. I will, however, be on the lookout the next time I find myself near a 7-11.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GussieK said:

Anyone remember putting white glue on your skin and letting it dry so you could peel it off?  Good times! 

The guy I sat next to in fourth grade put it on his tongue, too. It was pretty disgusting.

• LOL 2
23 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Yeah, I don't think they were looking for a deal either. But I think it was smart to not take Kevin's deal, royalties usually are not a great plan for the entrepreneurs. They are great for Kevin, which is why he always offers them. 

I don't think why some people think they can go on Shark Tank and only give up 5% equity. I get starting with a lower percentage than you are willing to give, but the Shark's always want a higher number to make it worth their time.

• Love 3
On 4/11/2020 at 9:32 PM, eel21788 said:

I agree 100%. I use no caffeine at all and am constantly finding it in the most unexpected places. As soon as they said caffeine I tuned them out. It’s not like the world is short on caffeinated products.

I was beginning to think that nobody was going to get a deal.

I think that the cheese guy was looking for a deal.  But, I think that he was a savvy business guy with a lot of experience, and he was unwilling to take a "sharky deal" because he figured that they would eventually get there on their own - it just might take more time.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:32 PM, eel21788 said:

I certainly hope they are telling people it has caffeine in it before they have them do their taste tests. Some people can't have caffeine for medical or religious reasons.

I confess that I am not a fan of these caffeine products in general and I agree with you completely on that issue.  However - here is a guy who has been paralyzed since he was 19 years old.  Did we get a crying sob story out of him?  No, we did not, though I caught some tears in some of the Shark's eyes.  So while I might not be interested in their product, he has my respect (for whatever that's worth, lol).

The slime thing was cute, but this is a family business that they could run and do well at.  WAY to early to think about franchising or anything else.  I don't ever remember my kids being into slime, but I remember it being popular when I was a kid.

The Saturday Lime frog thing was one of the most poorly named products I've ever seen in the tank.  Kevin needs to fix that pronto.

Edited by aemom
Clarification
  • Love 4
On 4/11/2020 at 11:22 PM, GussieK said:

I have no kids and never knew anything about slime and started down a rabbit hole of research. There are actually YouTubers who make slime videos.

I learned that the most basic recipe uses white glue mixed with Borax and water. I always wondered why I saw these giant containers of Elmer’s Glue at office supply stores. Must be for kids’ parties. It’s not as if people are refilling their little bottles of glue from gallon containers. Can anyone confirm?  

I don’t have children, but my nieces make tons of slime. They use white glue and contact lens solution (I can’t remember what in the solution they need, but the cheap stuff works well). They’ve got it almost down to a science now, and they watch the YouTube kids. Who knew slime was such a thing? 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, aemom said:

The Saturday Lime frog thing was one of the most poorly named products I've ever seen in the tank.  Kevin needs to fix that pronto.

Agreed wholeheartedly. It’s not a clever name and it’s easily forgettable. While it’s a cute idea to send out an email blast campaign for customers to remember to use it on a certain day each month, it’s not a good name for the product itself. Plus why the frog? Does it only prevent frogs? Is it made of frogs? Do frogs recommend it? Since the answer to those questions are all no, lose the frog. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3