Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E16: Online Zoom Episode

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

My favorite sketch was the SkySports. I didn't notice until the end that Alex was speaking into a spatula, and I totally missed the crawl at the bottom, so thanks for posting that here Otto. I was oddly fascinated with watching the four kernels of popcorn, as were others. I could watch a full hour of that.

We had a laugh over this at my house because earlier this week...

me: "why is the sportscaster doing sports that happened on this day five years ago?"

hubby: "what else is he supposed to do, there's no sports going on."

me: "oh yeeeaah, they should just let him stay home."

Then two days later, along came Alex Moffat: "hold my beer."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Oliver Twist was a schmuck. Who knew? Sigh, I hate that Larry David endorsed Woody Allen's book. It's making it hard for me to like him now.

Hayley and Townsen. That's a  no go.

Even though Crayola says those gel pens are nontoxic, I feel like using them for lipstick is probably asking for trouble, eventually.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2

I’m a little disappointment with the decor in Colin’s mansion (I blame it on ScarJo), it looked like the lobby of an overpriced ‘cozy’ Southwestern ranch resort. 

Wondering if Chloe has all those extra weaves and costumes in her home or if they were shipped to her for the show. Also impressed with Heidi’s background decor for Bailey. Bailey was having a bad weave day though. 

I usually look forward to WU the most but I thought it was the weakest part of the night (that and RBG’s workout). 

Dear Alex, could you narrate my exciting quarantine life as well? I really thought too right kernel would win 1st place. It also made me go grab some popcorn for myself. 

I went through a couple tissues during/after the tribute. It’s not hard to make me cry these days and that was a trigger.

• Love 3

19 hours ago, cpcathy said:

The sports sketch and Mikey’s gaming sketch were both fun. Mikey must write any of the gaming sketches, there are quite a few of them now, and his reactions are the best.

10 hours ago, blueray said:

And I also thought Tom Hanks was great in his monologue. Of course he has a beautiful kitchen.

Does Mikey have a 10-12 year old boy, as I do?  If so, he’s probably heard a LOT of streaming gamers on twitch & YouTube.  They all sound alike and he’s got it down perfectly.

I was extremely un-impressed with Tom Hanks’s kitchen, it looked small and cluttered.  I know he has several homes, some that are “normal” sized, and not mega-mansions.  Maybe this was a kitchen from a normal house.

6 hours ago, Mystery said:

I would've loved to see Cathy Anne on WU.

We are all Cathy Ann these days. She would have been perfect.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I noticed that, but I was more interested in looking at all that was behind Michael Che, including a personalized Sesame Street sign. Who knew?

He had Cookie Monster in there! I have an Oscar puppet, but I wouldn't have pegged Che for a Sesame Street fan, and certainly not Cookie Monster.

I loved the at home credit sequence.

Fauci! Call me!

• Love 5
9 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Wondering if Chloe has all those extra weaves and costumes in her home or if they were shipped to her for the show.

On her Instagram, Chloe mentioned that the JoJo Siwa stuff, at least, was from Target. But also based on her Instagram, Chloe does seem to have a lot of that sort of thing already.

Like everyone I was moved by the Hal Willner tribute, especially Tina, Amy and the other female alum singing "Perfect Day". It also made me realize as Kate said how important music was to a lot of my favorite sketches, and I'm ashamed I never gave a thought to it before. 

Here is just one I thought of off the top of my head:

There are probably a hundred more I can't remember now. RIP Hal.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7
On 4/11/2020 at 9:05 PM, saber5055 said:

Jo Jo Siwa was just on The Masked Singer so that's twice this week!

I had no idea who Jo Jo Siwa was (I still don't), so this part of Chloe's sketch was meh to me.

On 4/12/2020 at 7:57 AM, ahisma said:

@ottoDbusdriver thank you for all the ticker transcription! I would be happy to see Sky Sports every week during quarantine.

Me too. I loved this, and yes thanks Otto for the transcription. I completely missed that.

Tom Hanks was the perfect person to host this. He's just so good. Loved every little bit of his appearance.

I didn't particularly like Pete's first song, but I loved the $2000 one. 

The RBG sketch was pretty good, basically for the homemade qualities. I'm not a big fan of Kate's RBG bit, but this one was fine.

I'm probably one of the few people who didn't really like the Zoom sketch. The only part I thought was funny was when Aidy takes her laptop into the bathroom with her.

Didn't care for Larry David's Bernie bit. 

The Masterclass sketch was great. Loved Chloe's impression of Timothy Chalamet. Surprisingly good.

WU didn't do much for me. Neither did Bailey.

Loved Mikey's Twitch bit. It worked because he's so good. Alex's SkySports was also really good. Loved Beck and Kyle's bit.

How Low Can You Go really worked well. I particularly loved Heidi's character.

Ego and the Crayola markers was hilarious.

All in all, it was a good experiment that I hope they'll try again.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Does Mikey have a 10-12 year old boy, as I do?  If so, he’s probably heard a LOT of streaming gamers on twitch & YouTube.  They all sound alike and he’s got it down perfectly.

I was extremely un-impressed with Tom Hanks’s kitchen, it looked small and cluttered.  I know he has several homes, some that are “normal” sized, and not mega-mansions.  Maybe this was a kitchen from a normal house.

I read somewhere that that was Playtone Studios, not Tom's actual home, but I don't know.

Mikey has a son who is a few years younger. We saw him in the credits and he was also in the "War in Words" sketch (or whatever those are called) earlier this season, the one with Phoebe Waller Bridge. I think Mikey is a big gamer himself - he wrote that fun video game NPC sketch Kit Harington did last season - so he was probably writing from his own experience. I laughed when I saw some comments from people saying the show was out of the loop and got lingo wrong, and so on. If they are expecting hardcore edginess, they're in the wrong building.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm probably one of the few people who didn't really like the Zoom sketch. The only part I thought was funny was when Aidy takes her laptop into the bathroom with her.

I'm really not that into Aidy/Kate sketches, and once I realized this was a remake of the sketch they did last season (with, eerily enough, Idris Elba), I sort of checked out mentally, although there were a few laughs. I wish we'd gotten more from the other performers. 

The laptop bathroom incident was based on something that happened to a real woman, I think. Poor lady. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was also 'meh' about it. It got as tedious as a real zoom call.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Wondering if Chloe has all those extra weaves and costumes in her home or if they were shipped to her for the show. Also impressed with Heidi’s background decor for Bailey. Bailey was having a bad weave day though. 

Chloe's in California at her boyfriend's, and she'd mentioned on Instagram a few weeks ago--before this episode was known to be in the works--that he'd been storing all her wigs and costumes from her Groundlings days since she didn't have room at her place in New York.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

One of the things I liked about Alex's SkySports sketch was not only was it funny, but it was so good-natured, with the affectionate mentions of his wife and no late-stage reveal that he was actually hating life with a resulting meltdown. It was a real embodiment of the whole SNL at Home endeavor: Making the best of a bad situation.

In a way, Ego's makeup tutorial was the same: even as she made herself look more ridiculous, her demeanor never followed suit. She stayed calm and relatively upbeat throughout.

I enjoy sketches like that, where the characters are allowed to be happy. It helps balance sketches like the Zoom sketch, or Mikey's Twitch stream sketch, which, while funny (to varying degrees) also end up pretty downbeat.

And of course Chloe's Masterclass had all of that in one!

23 minutes ago, Trini said:

I was also 'meh' about it. It got as tedious as a real zoom call.

You know, now that I think about it, it was sort of like zoom calls with family. Got a little tedious, but SO happy to see everyone and SO glad they made the effort. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Like everyone I was moved by the Hal Willmer tribute, especially Tina, Amy and the other female alum singing "Perfect Day". It also made me realize as Kate said how important music was to a lot of my favorite sketches, and I'm ashamed I never gave a thought to it before. 

Here is just one I thought of off the top of my head:

There are probably a hundred more I can't remember now. RIP Hal.

Abraham Parnassus needs to come back as a character!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I'm really not that into Aidy/Kate sketches, and once I realized this was a remake of the sketch they did last season (with, eerily enough, Idris Elba), I sort of checked out mentally, although there were a few laughs. I wish we'd gotten more from the other performers. 

Why eerily? I feel like I missed something...

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, pigs-in-space said:

Why eerily? I feel like I missed something...

I'm assuming it was eerie because Idris Elba famously announced he also tested positive for COVID. So the host, and one sketch both involved two of the few celeb hosts who've dealt with the virus firsthand.

• Love 3

On 4/13/2020 at 5:54 PM, SoMuchTV said:

You know, now that I think about it, it was sort of like zoom calls with family. Got a little tedious, but SO happy to see everyone and SO glad they made the effort. 

That describes the whole episode! Not really. I thought it was great.

I can't even remember which sketch it was from, but my favorite line from the entire show was "When can we stop washing our hands?!" I'm still laughing about it.

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, Sesquipedalia said:

I can't even remember which sketch it was from, but my favorite line from the entire show was "When can we stop washing our hands?!" I'm still laughing about it.

I believe that was Beck as host of the "How Low Will You Go" game show. He yelled it out as he was signing off.

Tom Hanks was a guest on the NPR dhow “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me” today, and he said that he hosted SNL from his “abandoned office,” which is near his house.  He said his real kitchen is more like Downton Abbey, and he couldn’t host from there because of all the staff cooking...

ETA:  apparently EBK57 and I have nothing better to do than to listen to the first airing of “Wait Wait” at WBEZ early on Saturday!  We both posted the minute Hanks was finished.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Tom Hanks is on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me this weekend where he answers the pressing question regarding the kitchen.  

7 hours ago, freddi said:

Tom Hanks was a guest on the NPR dhow “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me” today, and he said that he hosted SNL from his “abandoned office,” which is near his house.  He said his real kitchen is more like Downton Abbey, and he couldn’t host from there because of all the staff cooking...

Happy to learn that apparently we will all be saved by Tom Hanks’s blood. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Happy to learn that apparently we will all be saved by Tom Hanks’s blood. 

I forgot until the repeat that he said he hoped it would be named the Hanxinne.

The parrot joke he told during his segment was hilarious.  It’s been a while since I have heard an actual narrative joke.  

Amd he said the kitchen used for SNL was *his* taste, like the one-button cappuccino maker on the counter, which I had tried to identify last week without success. 

• Love 2

I love Wait Wait but haven't listened for a while. Bad on me. However, thanks for the heads-up about Tom Hanks. I listened to that. Such a pleasure. And I had heard that parrot story before, but Hanks told it really well.

• Love 2