Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Slovenly Muse

Kingdom (South Korea)

I couldn't find a topic for this show, so here we go!

I watched season one last year and have just started season two. Holy cow, is this show ever good! It's such an interesting twist on the typical zombie myth, with a hefty dollop of political intrigue to keep things interesting. And on top of that, it's absolutely gorgeous. The costumes, the visuals, the TEXTURES, gaah! If any scene is boring (not that any are) I can get lost just staring at the way the light catches those elaborate silk robes. Every new hat is a delight. I can't remember the last time a show gave me so much consistent costume-based joy! I'm actually surprised more Game of Thrones fans aren't into this show, because they have a lot in common! Disparate factions vying for the throne, period setting, insanely gorgeous costumes, monarchy and class/wealth disparity, an army of the undead advancing on the capital... This show is on Netflix, so I know lots of people have access to it. I'm surprised to find so few people talking about it! (Metacritic doesn't even have a page for it. That's how bad.) If you're sick and tired of The Walking Dead, but feel in the mood for some Zombie outbreak entertainment while you're in self-quarantine, don't sleep on this show! Seriously. Give the first episode 5 minutes, and see if I'm wrong.

Anyone else watching? Let's spread the word!

• Like 2

The creepiest thing about these zombies is their speed, both in turning and the fact you have to be Usain Bolt to outrun them. Additionally, the costumes are amazing.  I may have watched this until four in the morning, I'll post coherent thoughts later.

This may really belong in genre shows, though.

2 hours ago, mustbekarma said:

The creepiest thing about these zombies is their speed, both in turning and the fact you have to be Usain Bolt to outrun them. Additionally, the costumes are amazing.  I may have watched this until four in the morning, I'll post coherent thoughts later.

This may really belong in genre shows, though.

Oooh, good call! I'll see if a Mod can migrate it over.

Yes! The way the zombies are conceptualized differently makes a big impact on the tension and the storytelling. I believe this is based on an idea that's more in line with a Korean-folklore-influenced version of the resurrected dead, which makes it different from the zombies we see all over the place in American media. It's really interesting and refreshing! I love the way the zombies can move fast enough to actually get you, as well as the built-in "rest periods" where the characters can regroup, drum up suspense, and vary the action/tone so it's not all zombie danger all the time. I normally HATE the trope of "dumb new people are told there's a supernatural threat, but don't believe it and stupidly bumble into danger they were warned about," but it works deliciously well in this show. And the political machinations on top of it is dynamite!

Edited by Slovenly Muse

I discovered the show earlier this year and we flew threw both seasons. Excellent characters and story lines. I'm glad to see a thread for this!

I had to add, I watched Rampant which is kind of the movie version of Kingdom but still has huge differences. It wasn't bad, but Kingdom is tons better.

Just binged both seasons.  I enjoyed it.

I really liked the costumes, the set design and the cinematography.  Very lush.

The characters were a bit one dimensional but still good and likable.  Specifically the Crown Prince, the Nurse and the 'rebel without a cause'.

The plot was a bit 'see through', if you will, but still the overall arc was enjoyable.  I really liked the 'twists' on the zombies.  New and interesting.

Where this really lacked was the writing/direction.  It was overly melodramatic and sophomoric, at times bordering on silly.  They employed every known trope without any sense of irony or shame.  Having said that I did like the setup for S03. I'll watch without hesitation.

This is worth a watch, just don't expect anything near TWD.