Type keyword(s) to search

Kingdom (South Korea) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I couldn't find a topic for this show, so here we go!

I watched season one last year and have just started season two. Holy cow, is this show ever good! It's such an interesting twist on the typical zombie myth, with a hefty dollop of political intrigue to keep things interesting. And on top of that, it's absolutely gorgeous. The costumes, the visuals, the TEXTURES, gaah! If any scene is boring (not that any are) I can get lost just staring at the way the light catches those elaborate silk robes. Every new hat is a delight. I can't remember the last time a show gave me so much consistent costume-based joy! I'm actually surprised more Game of Thrones fans aren't into this show, because they have a lot in common! Disparate factions vying for the throne, period setting, insanely gorgeous costumes, monarchy and class/wealth disparity, an army of the undead advancing on the capital... This show is on Netflix, so I know lots of people have access to it. I'm surprised to find so few people talking about it! (Metacritic doesn't even have a page for it. That's how bad.) If you're sick and tired of The Walking Dead, but feel in the mood for some Zombie outbreak entertainment while you're in self-quarantine, don't sleep on this show! Seriously. Give the first episode 5 minutes, and see if I'm wrong.

Anyone else watching? Let's spread the word!

• Love 4

The creepiest thing about these zombies is their speed, both in turning and the fact you have to be Usain Bolt to outrun them. Additionally, the costumes are amazing.  I may have watched this until four in the morning, I'll post coherent thoughts later.

This may really belong in genre shows, though.

(edited)
2 hours ago, mustbekarma said:

The creepiest thing about these zombies is their speed, both in turning and the fact you have to be Usain Bolt to outrun them. Additionally, the costumes are amazing.  I may have watched this until four in the morning, I'll post coherent thoughts later.

This may really belong in genre shows, though.

Oooh, good call! I'll see if a Mod can migrate it over.

Yes! The way the zombies are conceptualized differently makes a big impact on the tension and the storytelling. I believe this is based on an idea that's more in line with a Korean-folklore-influenced version of the resurrected dead, which makes it different from the zombies we see all over the place in American media. It's really interesting and refreshing! I love the way the zombies can move fast enough to actually get you, as well as the built-in "rest periods" where the characters can regroup, drum up suspense, and vary the action/tone so it's not all zombie danger all the time. I normally HATE the trope of "dumb new people are told there's a supernatural threat, but don't believe it and stupidly bumble into danger they were warned about," but it works deliciously well in this show. And the political machinations on top of it is dynamite!

Edited by Slovenly Muse

Just binged both seasons.  I enjoyed it.

I really liked the costumes, the set design and the cinematography.  Very lush.

The characters were a bit one dimensional but still good and likable.  Specifically the Crown Prince, the Nurse and the 'rebel without a cause'.

The plot was a bit 'see through', if you will, but still the overall arc was enjoyable.  I really liked the 'twists' on the zombies.  New and interesting.

Where this really lacked was the writing/direction.  It was overly melodramatic and sophomoric, at times bordering on silly.  They employed every known trope without any sense of irony or shame.  Having said that I did like the setup for S03. I'll watch without hesitation.

This is worth a watch, just don't expect anything near TWD.

I've been so frustrated with this show. I LOVED season one. Loved it! Some of the best zombie stuff I've ever seen. So many twists and turns, right up until the last twist of the season that left us with that awesome cliffhanger. I actually still remember what happened in season one. But season two killed the excitement I felt over it. I can't even say exactly why because I don't even remember  what happened in season two anymore, but I found it underwhelming.

And the same thing happened with that movie/special episode that just premiered on netflix. I spent most of it lost because of all those exposition dumps, confused about who is who and where the hell we are most of the time, and overall just bored because it took forever for the story to get going. The way it was presented was confusing and I didn't care about anyone, not even the protagonist on her quest for revenge. I also don't care that she gave the doctor the plant that started the other outbreak, like who cares. Not at bad idea, but not well executed at all imo, and my enthusiasm for future seasons (if there are any) remains dead.

On 7/25/2021 at 8:44 PM, natyxg said:

I've been so frustrated with this show. I LOVED season one. Loved it! Some of the best zombie stuff I've ever seen. So many twists and turns, right up until the last twist of the season that left us with that awesome cliffhanger. I actually still remember what happened in season one. But season two killed the excitement I felt over it. I can't even say exactly why because I don't even remember  what happened in season two anymore, but I found it underwhelming.

And the same thing happened with that movie/special episode that just premiered on netflix. I spent most of it lost because of all those exposition dumps, confused about who is who and where the hell we are most of the time, and overall just bored because it took forever for the story to get going. The way it was presented was confusing and I didn't care about anyone, not even the protagonist on her quest for revenge. I also don't care that she gave the doctor the plant that started the other outbreak, like who cares. Not at bad idea, but not well executed at all imo, and my enthusiasm for future seasons (if there are any) remains dead.

Gosh, I loved it. My husband wanted more zombies. 

My husband and I started watching as a bit of a "is this old timey Korea with a political thriller element and ZOMBIES?!" novelty.  Man, we burned thru both seasons, and I needed a break before watching the Ashin movie special b/c this shit was stressful.

For me, it may be the best zombie genre show I've ever seen.  Beautiful cinematography (I read they went over budget every episode...lol), excellent culture lessons (as a South Asian American, I know very little about Korean cultural history), really compelling cast, a bad ass premise, cool costumes and hats (seriously, so good), shocking twists and turns, a good eye for making the mythology work, but be fantastical enough to keep everyone in.  I love Prince Lee Chang, SeoBi, and our chotka solider guy (whose name I struggle to figure out).  They are cool characters with interesting backstories, though I would love to hear more about SeoBi's backstory before she was a nurse. I like that the Prince, who was a bit haughty and self centered, learned to be a leader of the people through the course of the series.  I was interested in the political Games of Thrones-esque format of the royals, the clan, the politicians, and the people across the country, which really speaks to how compelling it all is when your other major plot is zombies. For the moment, I like that our main 3 don't have a traditional situation (genre seems to always want a love triangle), but you feel hints of things (like SeoBi's heavy concern for the Prince's injuries all the time and the soldiers admiration for the nurse's capability)...it keeps it very human. 

The zombies themselves, their look, their quick, violent human death and fast zombie turn, as well as their speed, was really great.  They were scary and so overwhelming.  I loved the use of fog, darkness, fire, and silhouette to create such amazing atmosphere. 

In watching this and Squid Game, I love that you can easily tell who is/was a model.  Man, some of these folks are beautiful (Prince Chang in particular is tall and has beautiful lean lines and gorgeous face).  

I hope this gets a season 3.  I have to watch the movie, but season 2 ends in a crazy place. 

• Love 3

I also don't care that she gave the doctor the plant that started the other outbreak, like who cares.

Raises hand ... I do! I loved the movie, I thought it did a great job of showing us how this mess all started and who the woman was at the end of season 2.

For me, it may be the best zombie genre show I've ever seen. 

Oh I agree. Far more entertaining than The Walking Dead as far as I am concerned! Have you watched Train to Busan? If you haven't yet, give it a try. Awesome zombie movie.

• Love 2
On 10/15/2021 at 8:32 PM, hypnotoad said:

Raises hand ... I do! I loved the movie, I thought it did a great job of showing us how this mess all started and who the woman was at the end of season 2.

Oh I agree. Far more entertaining than The Walking Dead as far as I am concerned! Have you watched Train to Busan? If you haven't yet, give it a try. Awesome zombie movie.

Man, I LOVED Train to Busan.  It was excellent and introduced me to the lovely Gong Yoo (who is also in a small, but pivotal role in Squid Game). 

• Love 1
On 10/15/2021 at 7:32 PM, hypnotoad said:

Much better than TWD! And I do believe there will be a season 3. 

Loved Train to Busan, but the sequel, Peninsula, was not great. We turned it off. There is an animated "prequel" or you could say that it occurs at the same time as Train to Busan called Seoul Station. We really enjoyed it. 

Loved Train to Busan, but the sequel, Peninsula, was not great. We turned it off. There is an animated "prequel" or you could say that it occurs at the same time as Train to Busan called Seoul Station. We really enjoyed it. 

I liked the animated prequel but the sequel was terrible. I watched it to the end but I didn't enjoy it. I get that the director was trying to do something different than the first movie and I was glad they just didn't do zombie's on a train part 2 - but Peninsula was a big fail for me.

And I do believe there will be a season 3. 

I am positive I read somewhere that there will be a season 3.

Man, I LOVED Train to Busan.  It was excellent and introduced me to the lovely Gong Yoo (who is also in a small, but pivotal role in Squid Game). 

I was surprised he had so little to do in Squid Game! I cry like a little baby any time I watched Train to Busan. I told a friend at work to watch it but I warned her I cried and cried at the end. She looked at me like I was nuts crying over a zombie movie. Yeah she cried like a baby at the end of the movie!