Type keyword(s) to search

Unorthodox - General Discussion

PRgal
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I grew up in the NYC area and I've been around plenty of Hasidic folks and quite a few have accents from the mother country, it felt real to me.

ETA: We watched the Making Of Unorthodox last night and if you havent watched it, I highly recommend it!

So they could be two or more generations in and STILL have strong accents?  I'm first generation Canadian born, with parents from Hong Kong, but the only "distinctive" clue that someone is Hong Kong-Canadian (for those of us born here) is a higher, baby-like voice many younger women seem to put on. - they're typically more heavily influenced by HK pop-culture, so it's more of an equivalent to Valley Speak/Vocal Fry.  It isn't an accent.

28 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I grew up in the NYC area and I've been around plenty of Hasidic folks and quite a few have accents from the mother country, it felt real to me.

Israel isn't Esty's "mother country" (nor is it for most Jews). The Satmar community are descendants of Hungarian Jews, and also happen to be strongly anit-Zionist.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Israel isn't Esty's "mother country" (nor is it for most Jews). The Satmar community are descendants of Hungarian Jews, and also happen to be strongly anit-Zionist.

I said mother country, as in whatever their mother country is.

14 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I said mother country, as in whatever their mother country is.

Your statement was in response to my comment about Shira Haas's *Israeli* accent. I was just explaining why it's not plausible for anyone from that community to have an Israeli accent.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I see Esty's father as a warning of who Moishe is going to end up being.

Esty's father was interesting, because while he still lived in the community and adhered to all outward rules - the clothing, the beard, the Payot, he even takes care of collecting rent on properties the family owns. But he's a drunk, he seems to have no real relationship or interaction with anyone, and his father considers him a disgrace.

He seemed like someone utterly beaten into submission - he can't be who he's expected to be, but he can't rebel in any real way, so he's just checked out. And yeah, that seems likely to be Moishe's future as well

3 hours ago, gingerella said:

ETA: We watched the Making Of Unorthodox last night and if you havent watched it, I highly recommend it!

It's definitely worth it. I love what the director said about Shira Haas, that she can say more with a facial expression than a lot of people can with a whole page of dialogue. And Haas herself, who said that she likes to take lines out if she can. She's right to, because her face is incredibly expressive and evokes a strong sense of empathy in the viewer.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

And Jeff Wilbusch, who played Moishe. He had so much charm and louche charisma, with an edge of danger. He hasn't done much English language work, that I can see, other than appearing in the BBC's Little Drummer Girl a couple of years ago, but he needs to be added to Hollywood's list of 'European villains' for movies and TV shows. He's really good.

I was going to say that he reminds me of a Jewish Paul Rudd... but Paul Rudd is Jewish.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I liked the show, didn’t love it as I too agree it was a bit too simple in some aspects ... but as an American expat living in Berlin, I loved seeing the sites and picking out the German words from the Yiddish. Also I don’t get that she’d be immediately ok hanging out with gay guys and hook ups  but she’d rather be homeless than live with her mother? I don’t know I didn’t get why she did not reach out to her mother right away, even if it was out of anger “ you owe me” ... she was just going to sleep in the music place forever? 

Also, Moishe can fuck off with his misogynistic, rape culture crap. I’m truly surprised people feel sympathy for that thug. Just in four episodes he committed how many crimes? Let’s see, assault, kidnapping, stalking, B&E ....and that doesn’t even account for his moral failings and gross hypocrisy. He was super comfortable bullying women, he sits there judging Esty and her choice to come to Berlin? And leaves a gun for her to kill herself ??? Then threatens to take her unborn child from her? He’s a monster, I don’t get the sympathy for that prick. 

also was disappointed we had to live through those awful bad sex scenes with Yanky and didn’t get to see the contrast in what I hope was a good experience for her with the German guy.  It was implied but unclear. And while I did feel bad for Yanky I couldn’t believe he was so clueless about sex not to ask anyone OTHER than his damn meddling mother for advice and tips how to please his wife. FFS, Yanky, ask the bum In the subway, gotta be better than mom. SMDH.

But overall it was a good show and I can attest to the fact that Berlin is a great and welcoming city. 

• Love 5
(edited)
22 hours ago, Klaw said:

Also, Moishe can fuck off with his misogynistic, rape culture crap. I’m truly surprised people feel sympathy for that thug. Just in four episodes he committed how many crimes? Let’s see, assault, kidnapping, stalking, B&E ....and that doesn’t even account for his moral failings and gross hypocrisy. He was super comfortable bullying women, he sits there judging Esty and her choice to come to Berlin? And leaves a gun for her to kill herself ??? Then threatens to take her unborn child from her? He’s a monster, I don’t get the sympathy for that prick. 

I don't think Moishe actually realizes he's doing something wrong.  He's been very brainwashed by his own culture.  Yes, he gets out more than others/is less insular, but influence goes a long way.  I was born and raised in Canada, yet I probably feel shame more than Anglo-Canadians do.  I still worry about losing face/bringing shame to my family, I think.  And yes, it affects my mental well-being. 

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, PRgal said:

I don't think Moishe actually realizes he's doing something wrong.  He's been very brainwashed by his own culture. 

Respectfully, I have to disagree. I think that is rationalising his bad behaviour and I absolutely think he knew that at least some of what he was doing was wrong (I can agree that he may think what he is doing was completely justified, but that is different than knowing what he was doing was wrong). Yanky - who I would argue was even more brainwashed than Moishe in the sense he was way more sheltered -- knew Moishe was acting badly and going too far.  It's why he went back alone to speak to Esty's mother. Yanky, to me, was the tragic character in the sense he was essentially a good man who did care for Esty but with him I can see where every single mistake he made was due to his upbringing and brainwashing. Had Moishe been Esty's husband, I really doubt he would have bothered stopping during sex because Esty felt pain --unlike Yanky who only seemed to finish, despite Esty's pain, because SHE told him to. Despite everything, he was respecting her agency. I think Moishe would have just raped her and shrugged because as a woman and his wife, that would've been his "right" and her "duty." 

TL:DR Moishe was a garbage human.

• Love 9
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Klaw said:

Respectfully, I have to disagree. I think that is rationalising his bad behaviour and I absolutely think he knew that at least some of what he was doing was wrong (I can agree that he may think what he is doing was completely justified, but that is different than knowing what he was doing was wrong). Yanky - who I would argue was even more brainwashed than Moishe in the sense he was way more sheltered -- knew Moishe was acting badly and going too far.  It's why he went back alone to speak to Esty's mother. Yanky, to me, was the tragic character in the sense he was essentially a good man who did care for Esty but with him I can see where every single mistake he made was due to his upbringing and brainwashing. Had Moishe been Esty's husband, I really doubt he would have bothered stopping during sex because Esty felt pain --unlike Yanky who only seemed to finish, despite Esty's pain, because SHE told him to. Despite everything, he was respecting her agency. I think Moishe would have just raped her and shrugged because as a woman and his wife, that would've been his "right" and her "duty." 

Everything you say about Moishe is true. And yet...is he choosing to be a terrible person? Is he saying, "My behavior is going to cause misery. And you know what? I love that." I don't think so. I very much hope that he will have an awakening, and I picked up very slight hints towards the end that this will happen. But although his path has been different from Yanky's, I see him just as much a product of his circumstances and unwise choices and things that have happened to him as Yanky.

I think a lot of my feeling about this comes from Jeff Wilbusch's portrayal. I can see how a different actor, receiving different direction, could have made me feel Moishe is flat-out terrible. But this portrayal made him human, to me.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I very much hope that he will have an awakening, and I picked up very slight hints towards the end that this will happen.

hmmm interesting, and I am genuinely curious as to what hints you picked up on? I agree that the actor who portrayed Moishe did a great job - there were moments when I laughed out loud at his comments and I can get why some people would see him as charming... but that said, I still  see him more as a garden variety sociopath or at least someone with sociopathic tendencies, with no care to change who he is...

51 minutes ago, Klaw said:

hmmm interesting, and I am genuinely curious as to what hints you picked up on? I agree that the actor who portrayed Moishe did a great job - there were moments when I laughed out loud at his comments and I can get why some people would see him as charming... but that said, I still  see him more as a garden variety sociopath or at least someone with sociopathic tendencies, with no care to change who he is...

Well, I admit it isn't much to go on, but at the audition, when Esty's mom told him in no uncertain terms to get the *#&% out of there, he showed a hint of resignation, like, OK, I did my best, so be it, I'm not here to destroy anyone's life. The Moishe I wouldn't have been surprised to see was a Moishe who responded, "If you think this is over, bitch, you couldn't be more wrong." But that's not how he responded.

• Love 2

I think Moishe knows how miserable he is, and how much happier he might be if he left the community. But I also think he believes what he said when he gave Esty the gun - that eventually the loneliness and guilt and strain of trying to live independently would be worse than just toeing the line and doing what you're told by mother, father and rabbi. It's better to be miserable and comfortable than miserable and broke.

He could have dragged Esty back to Yanky, and they could have taken her back to America. But he didn't take that drastic an approach, he still left the ultimate choice up to her. Perhaps because he couldn't quite bring himself to do it, or perhaps because he didn't believe Esty truly had the substance to resist doing what a man told her was right (given his life experience, this seems very possible).

And regarding that choice, I do wonder if it's one that was also made to him, by the 'Moishe' who was sent to pull him back into line. As Esty's mother said, "there's always a Moishe." He didn't have the courage to say no like Esty did.

• Love 4
On 5/11/2020 at 4:33 PM, Milburn Stone said:

Well, I admit it isn't much to go on, but at the audition, when Esty's mom told him in no uncertain terms to get the *#&% out of there, he showed a hint of resignation, like, OK, I did my best, so be it, I'm not here to destroy anyone's life. The Moishe I wouldn't have been surprised to see was a Moishe who responded, "If you think this is over, bitch, you couldn't be more wrong." But that's not how he responded.

That's a fair point.

(edited)
On 5/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, Danny Franks said:

t's definitely worth it. I love what the director said about Shira Haas, that she can say more with a facial expression than a lot of people can with a whole page of dialogue. And Haas herself, who said that she likes to take lines out if she can. She's right to, because her face is incredibly expressive and evokes a strong sense of empathy in the viewer.

So true. I love and admire some good face acting!  🙂  And if she doesn't get at LEAST nominations for all kinds of awards then something is very wrong. As much as I loved Laura Linney's performance in Ozark this last season, I would love to see Shira pick up some awards for the amazing job she did with this character/story. 

I love this video where Jessica Chastain interviews Shira and she is fangirling all over her(and visa versa)  I didn't realize she was in The Zookeepers Wife with Jessica. Now I have to go back and watch.....and also seek out other films she's done.  Apparently, she won Best Actress at the  2020 Tribecca Film Festival(International Narrative category)   for a movie called Asia that I can't seem to find a trailer for,  grrrr... she said she doesn't know when it will be released but I can't wait to see that one.   Also she was in a 2014 film called Princess that looks really good. Has anyone seen that? It's not on any big streaming services but luckily I found it on Kanopy which is a service through my library. It's great for all these lesser known or Indie films.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2
On 4/22/2020 at 6:04 PM, PinkRibbons said:

Yeah, it is sad that 6 million of us were murdered by our own governments and people we knew as neighbors and friends and it could easily happen again.

I'm not saying the reaction to the Holocaust should be as extreme as the isolationism in some Hasidic circles, but the fear that gave rise to movements like that is extremely real. 

Actually the Jews weren't murdered by their own government - save a small minority of then, half of German Jews (the other half had emigrated in time).  And Holocaust happened in "killing fields" where people were already traumatized by occupation (sometimes two times), hunger, purges, executions and deportations. 

Do I understand right that the Hasidic interpretation was that God would have saved the Jews if they had followed literally all the orders of Old Testament? But didn't already the prophets say that the most important thing was to help widows, orphans and poor?  

7 hours ago, Roseanna said:

Do I understand right that the Hasidic interpretation was that God would have saved the Jews if they had followed literally all the orders of Old Testament? But didn't already the prophets say that the most important thing was to help widows, orphans and poor?  

I'm no expert on what the Hasidim think, but if they did think that, they would be consistent with most of the prophets as well as the ancient rabbis who wrote the Talmud as well as some Jewish leaders during the Spanish Inquisition. Prophet after prophet says things like "the Assyrians/Babylonians/Your-Enemy-Here conquered and exiled us because some of us worshiped gods other than the one true God," and the ancient rabbis attributed famines and droughts and such to the Jewish people's actions displeasing God. So if I had to bet on one side or the other, I'd bet the Hasidim did say that. Not easy to follow all the commandments in the Torah, though; there are 613 of them.

• Useful 1
On 5/11/2020 at 4:08 AM, Klaw said:

TL:DR Moishe was a garbage human.

Yeah, I saw Moishe as wholly terrible. Assault, threats, selfishness, hypocrisy. I can empathize with his misery without letting him off the hook for his behaviors.  Penguin had a sad backstory too and that doesn't make him less of a villain!

On 5/11/2020 at 7:33 AM, Milburn Stone said:

The latter is exactly how I read his response. He left only because he was alone, she had the gun, and it was a public place in a foreign country. He recognized he was holding a losing hand. Temporarily. He laughed and said they'd be back for the baby. I believe him. They know where to find her now.

There was a comment about Yael being mean that I can't find now. Every Israeli I've known has been BLUNT! In the piano scene, Yael felt very Israeli. Others saw her as being rude/mean but she was likely "just being honest". (My least fav words.)

I binged this in one night, and appreciated getting a glimpse into Hasidic culture. I'm very familiar with Jewish culture but most of my friends have been more on the Reform side. I'm far less familiar personally with Orthodox and Ultra Orthodox lives.

• Love 2

I know the name of this series is unorthodox but please stop calling this Orthodox Judaism. Modern orthodox  is nothing like this. This is Hasidic Judaism, a very specific kind.

yanky is tragic because he is SO gentle and innocent he has not the foggiest idea. You get the feeling in Germany that was the first time he’d ever seen TV. His pleas to the prostitute to tell him what would please her were sincere. He must be the one Hasidic male so innocent he never snuck a peak at a dirty magazine or found anything out. And he was too shy. They were both shy and un assertive so together they just did not know what to do.

He seemed a gentle soul who I think would have been sincerely shocked by Moishes thug moves. 

how did Moise win all that money?

i 100 percent believe in Estys scholarship. For one thing you can tell at that moment a professional is singing and the actress is lip shnching. For another they KNOW she has no training and they have a program with limited spots for people like her. She had perfect pitch, power and resonance.

and she already reads music etc. 

also the Israeli girl was not a bitch. I’ve known many Israelis. This culture is descended from Russians. They are blunt and honest and let’s face it Yael was RIGHT. 

thwre was an Israeli girl in grad school  with me and we had fierce arguments all the time (I like her very much) because she would never bother with “I think”

and she would just say “that is stupid.” LOL. They don’t take it personally and are shocked when others do.

I also loved how Yael responded to the idea of the Holocaust- like in Israel sure it matters but it’s true for everyone so... Estys particular section seemed rather joyless . This is NOT the case for all branches of Hasidism.

which again is not the same as orthodox. 

adding to the person who thought Esty shaving her head was rebellious;

exactly the opposite.

married women cover their hair. This particular sect shaves heads so wigs are easier to wear.

that’s why all the little girls have long hair.

note not every sect shaves heads: women always wear wigs and cover their heads in public but in some sects married women have their own hair down at home. (Your brother and father snd kids can see your hair!)

now taking off the wig in Berlin was an act of rebellion. 

she is awfully skinny as well as beautiful!

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

Modern orthodox  is nothing like this. This is Hasidic Judaism, a very specific kind.

I agree.  I’m surprised at the lack of distinction being made.  Referring to Hasidim as “Orthodox” is way too general and doesn’t paint an accurate picture of the Orthodox community, most of whom do not live anything like this.  

4 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

how did Moise win all that money?

I was thinking he either started with a small sum, and then just kept getting really, really lucky, because the entire end of part four seemed a little bit like a dream sequence.  Either that, or Moishe’s friend with the van they used to kidnap Esty fronted him the money?  Those two had a bit of a strange relationship...

I’m not that viewer that reads homosexuality or bi-curiousity into everything, but I think there is a case to be made that the series was at least suggesting that Moishe was gay.  If I think about it, he did something so terrible that he alienated his wife and children so badly that he seemed surprised that the rabbi was ever going to offer to fix his family if he helped Yanky find Esty.  Then, when Yanky and Moishe went to that brothel in Berlin, Moishe said there was a different Torah on the road, and Moishe and that guy were getting kind of handsy with each other after Yanky left.  If this is just part of their culture, then maybe I’ve gone out on too much of a limb.  

Maybe it is the opposite and Moishe is asexual?  When Moishe went to that club to look for Esty, he seemed very single-minded in finding her, and not at all interested in the environment or the music, which was out of character for him—he was a compulsive gambler and smoker and he got fall-down drunk, yet he wasn’t exhibiting any interest in either sex (also, he never slept with a prostitute that we know of), so I don’t know where to put that info exactly, but I think we were supposed to gather something about Moishe, because they kept showing his expression, and it was quite prolonged.  The club scene made me sad for the guys.  At least Esty was stepping out and wearing red lipstick and finding herself in the music even though this was brand new to her too—at least she had fun.  I don’t think Moishe or Yanky will ever be able to take that step and feel free.  

It would be interesting if Moishe was asexual and that was the reason he was alienated from his family, sort of like a bookend to Esty (and I know vagismus is real, and I don’t mean to say that Esty was asexual—I think she was scared out of her mind, rightfully so—but I am just stating she was not interested in having sex with Yanky) and I would be really interested in that story being told—any story where the men in the Hasidic community don’t live up to sexual norms, because I don’t think that story has been told yet.  

It makes me want to suggest Rumspringa to the Hasidim, but what do I know?  It’s not my culture. 

I find Moishe the most fascinating character of all, and I think he gets overlooked when this mini-series gets praise.  

Not to get too Jungian, but I think Moishe was the dark that allowed the viewers to see how beautiful the light was in Esty and how Yanky was not all bad—that he had shades of grey to his personality.  I’m not sure it was the lines—I think it was the actor’s performance (which I thought was outstanding) and how much he could convey just by moving his eyes.  Really great, subtle performance.  

Going a step further, I don’t think Moishe was just bad.  I don’t think this series was that simplistic.  If anything there was truly represented as an all-encompassing evil, I think it was the shadow cast by the Holocaust 65 years after it ended.  Esty, Yanky and Moishe’s lives were all totally fucked up—but at least Esty got out.  What happens to the men?  I don’t think either of them are “happy” at all.  With Yanky, it was more obvious, but Moishe was also in a lot of pain too, given how he jumped in the river in Berlin and screamed something at God.  

I think if it was Moishe’s goal to kill Esty, he would have.  He had a weapon and a plan for kidnapping her.  He was spying on her, and he knew enough to know he could kill her, stash her tiny undocumented body somewhere and be on the next flight to JFK before she was found.  I don’t really think he gave enough of a shit about Esty or her baby to kill them, when all was said and done.  He was “trying” to get Esty back, because he was brainwashed into thinking that was the right thing to do to get back in favor with the rabbi.  My conclusions is that Moishe is a nihilist.  Regardless of his sexual orientation, I think he cared more about finding some pleasure in his life than Esty or Yanky or probably his own immediate family.  I wish we got more than just glimpses into what made him tick, or maybe the fact that we only got glimpses is what made it so rewarding.  

I just find Moishe the most interesting of the three, and how he was a book of contradictions, such as being a slob and Yanky being disgusted by his behavior, but then praying so keenly with his Torah like one scene later.  I don’t want another Unorthodox to be released—I think everything about this was great, from the acting to the cinematography, and there is definitely something to be said for too much of a good thing, but after I watched this—and then rewatched for the nuance—I found myself wondering about Moishe the most.  And I think that was really good storytelling.  Always leave the audience wanting more.  This was a really talented group, and I hope to see them do more work, either as a group or as separate actors, because I find them to be much stronger than anything that really passes for character TV these days.  All three main characters read like real people to me, not actors, and that is probably the highest compliment I can pay. 

The only other mini-series I’ve seen this year that I think can compete with Unorthodox is I Know This Much Is True—and Olive Kitteridge and these two works are some of the finest acting and storytelling I’ve seen.  I am impressed that Netflix green-lighted something so strange and beautiful.  

I am curious if anyone has any feedback about my armchair detective work into the characters’ motives.  I don’t usually get that deeply invested in something like this that I draw so many conclusions, but what can I say, it provoked deep thoughts, which I’m not used to?  🤷‍♂️

• Love 3

Producers Guild of America nomination!

David L. Wolper Award for Outstanding Producer of Limited Series Television

“I May Destroy You” (HBO)
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Normal People” (Hulu)
Producers: Lenny Abrahamson, Sally Rooney, Ed Guiney, Andrew Lowe, Emma Norton, Anna Ferguson, Catherine Magee

“The Queen’s Gambit” (Netflix)
Producers: William Horberg, Allan Scott, Scott Frank, Marcus Loges, Mick Aniceto

“The Undoing” (HBO)
Producers: Susanne Bier, David E. Kelley, Per Saari, Nicole Kidman, Bruna Papandrea, Stephen Garrett, Celia Costas, Deb Dyer

“Unorthodox” (Netflix)
Producers: Anna Winger, Henning Kamm, Alexa Karolinksi

I just started this last night. I have seen it on the menu for ages but finally watched it. I got through the first three episodes. I only stopped because it was late. I'm staying away from spoilers but I have a good idea what is going down. 

• Love 1

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Contemporary Television
Emily in Paris: "Faux Amis" – Patricia Field & Marilyn Fitoussi
Euphoria: "Part 1: Rue - Trouble Don’t Last Always" – Heidi Bivens
I May Destroy You: "Social Media is a Great Way to Connect" – Lynsey Moore
Schitt's Creek: "Happy Ending" – Debra Hanson
Unorthodox: "Part 2" – Justine Seymour

I watched this again recently, this time with my husband.  (We had just finished watching the 3rd season of Shtisel together, but he had not seen Unorthodox before).  I was struck again by how much better the Brooklyn scenes were than the Berlin scenes.  The Berlin storyline felt very forced and unrealistic to me.  I wish the series had either spent more time on the how and why of Esty's departure from Brooklyn or come up with a more believable sequence of events once she arrived in Berlin.  Shira Haas was amazing, of course.