Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E17: Finale Part 1 / S11.E18 Finale Part 2

7 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

This last episode epitomized what went wrong with this show over the last few seasons. What started out as a sweet, funny show that was often relatable to actual family experiences devolved into predictable and hacky one-liners, broad slapstick and unbelievable plot points. The fact that each of the two final episodes had five or six writers for twenty two minutes of content kind of proves the point. This is a sitcom, not the opening monologue for the Oscars. 

It isn't like final episodes of long series have had several writers writing it. However, they generally tend to be you know... good. Modern Family showed that everyone was just out of steam, they threw in plot points from years ago and then tried to say "see this is how it should end". Instead it pointed out all the problems the show had. After season 7, the show was down everywhere. Not sure if it was because they didn't know where to take "the kids" after high school or if it was the classic: "Character does something they have always done, everyone tries to ignore it, wacky things happen." Wash, rinse repeat. 

• Love 1

Had its moments but wasn't great by any means.  

I will say that as much as the forum hates Dylan,  I fucking love him,  and Luke. 

"It's just Sinky"

"You didn't start the disposal, did you!?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Luke getting accepted to Oregon was a nice little Easter egg for Ty Burrell. Ty grew up in Oregon and spent some time at the University. Despite Phil attending that unnamed University (Bulldogs/frogs), there was an early season episode where Phil mentioned "we lost to Penn State" at the bowl game. Oregon lost the Rose Bowl to Penn State while Ty was there.

Sorry, I know that's a lot. Just a Duck fan here!

• Love 9
On Thursday, April 09, 2020 at 4:15 PM, CleoCaesar said:

From the pilot it was obvious that this was a show about three very affluent South California families. They live in multimillion dollar homes, the the spouses didn't work and stayed at home with their children, they could drop thousands of dollars on flights and five-star hotel rooms, they freely bought gadgets and anything they wanted to, really.

None of this was hidden, nowhere was it said that these families were representative of anything, much less the common person. So all of the above critiques, while sort of valid, are about 11 seasons out of date. They've always been like this, always spent like this, always falling into jobs like this. They're conspicuously rich white/Latino people.

The show is called Modern Family, not Average Family.

I was just watching some noir films from the '30s where EVERYONE lived in colonial mansions. There were no 1-2 bedroom starter homes. Apparently in those days you started at the top. In modern times, I know a family with several children of a successful patriarch who gave each a sizeable amount for their first homes, so they each started out with a large house and little or no mortgage. Maybe that's the story with Jay's kids. Wasn't there an episode with Phil giving back money he received from Jay years ago? Mitchell, too?

On 4/8/2020 at 10:07 PM, chitowngirl said:

Aww-That was such a good finale. I wish Nathan Lane could have made an appearance!  My only nitpick-Alex, the science nerd, should have known how large the dimensions of the apartment were in metric. 

Right - and the very last people she would ask would be her parents!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, ams1001 said:

But that shouldn't be hard for a California lawyer to do in Hicksville, right? 🙄

There was a good bit on Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip where (I didn't watch it often, so paraphrasing) some character had a legal issue in Podunk and the big city lawyer got school by John Goodman's country judge. As a rural-born lawyer, I've always enjoyed that.

And frankly, I've spent more time thinking about it than the writers, but it is possible that a college town in a rural area might need lawyers and be open to Judge Mitch. A friend moving to the Dakotas recently got a great job offer because they were about the only person offering to move there. Point being, there's a lot more moving pieces to it than presented on the show, and even if the character was just idly speculating about making something good from the move, we have 11 years of distrust with these writers so suspension of disbelief fades in and out as certain characters talk.

• Love 3
On 4/8/2020 at 10:33 PM, mtlchick said:

The only part that was charming was Jay finally learning some Spanish

Yeah, but honestly, if Jay were inclined to learn, wouldn't he have done it like 15 years ago?

On 4/9/2020 at 3:46 AM, vb68 said:

And Luke somehow mysteriously got into a really good university all of a sudden?

Did Luke ever even mention an interest in attending college at this time? I sure don't remember it.

On 4/9/2020 at 12:23 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Last year Haley and Dillon could afford only a crappy room over a garage, now they suddenly can afford rent on Cam and Mitch's old place, with two children, plus I assume day care?

Presumably, that's why they were living at the Dunphy's for the past couple years, so they could save up.

That said, I wanted to slap Haley when Phil and Claire told the kids things were too crowded and someone needed to go. She was outraged, literally like "WHAAAT?? You can't tell us to go!" Girl, you and your family have been living in a huge, gorgeous house, with lots of extended family around to help out, for TWO YEARS. Instead of being grateful for that - lots of people in your position could only dream of it - you are downright angry that you're not being given MORE? Just ugh.

• Love 3
On 4/8/2020 at 11:49 PM, Eolivet said:

I wouldn't say the finale left me cold, but I think it tried to do too much. I lost track of who was leaving who where and when. Did we know Jay was going to Colombia with Gloria? To me, the learning Spanish made no sense without that knowledge.

Oddly enough, my favorite moment was Haley, Alex and Luke after the "Woofie" video. It was the kind of "make a comedic moment sentimental" timing this show used to excel at, and that instant where it sunk in that the siblings were leaving each other rang true to me. Claire and Mitchell at the skating rink was great, too.

Otherwise, it felt overstuffed. I couldn't really say a proper goodbye to the characters without trying to remember where exactly they all were going.

I will remember all the times the show made me cry with laughter, or choke up unexpectedly. Those memories of a better show kept me hanging on til the end.

Fare thee well, Modern Family. And the circle of life continues ...

Jay wanted to surprise Gloria by learning Spanish and at the end he told her he was going withbher and Joe to Colombia. But I think learning Spanish makes sense even if he weren't going since Joe is showing that he is open to the next chapter in life and embrace new things. 

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:28 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Yeah, but honestly, if Jay were inclined to learn, wouldn't he have done it like 15 years ago?

Ideally, but I can see Jay, now retired and with no dog beds to sell taking this up as a new challenge. He has the time now whereas before he always had something else going on. It would have been nice if he had found the time earlier, but better late than never. And Gloria seemed touched so that's really all that matters.

It was one of the few nice things so I'm clinging to it making sense.

• Love 7
On 4/13/2020 at 2:51 PM, AncientNewbie said:

And frankly, I've spent more time thinking about it than the writers, but it is possible that a college town in a rural area might need lawyers and be open to Judge Mitch. A friend moving to the Dakotas recently got a great job offer because they were about the only person offering to move there. Point being, there's a lot more moving pieces to it than presented on the show, and even if the character was just idly speculating about making something good from the move, we have 11 years of distrust with these writers so suspension of disbelief fades in and out as certain characters talk.

He might be able to get a decent job offer but there's truly a miniscule chance of him becoming a judge. First, he'd have to get licensed in Missouri (like others stated), but also, he'd literally need to learn the law of an entirely new state to be a competent judge-- even in traffic court. I'm a lawyer and can tell you that this isn't an easy task. Second, judges are either appointed or elected. He wouldn't have the connections to get appointed, especially compared to long-time local attorneys. And running against a local wouldn't be very successful either.

I know this show isn't realistic, but it really showed the writers' snobbery that they assumed a California lawyer could just waltz into a small town in Missouri and become a judge there as if they would be so impressed with his big-city talents that he wouldn't even need to be qualified.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, marny said:

I know this show isn't realistic, but it really showed the writers' snobbery that they assumed a California lawyer could just waltz into a small town in Missouri and become a judge there as if they would be so impressed with his big-city talents that he wouldn't even need to be qualified.

Especially a lawyer who has either quit or lost his job six times in the course of 11 years. His last boss going to jail wasn't his fault or his original firm making cut backs. However, all the others including trying to start his own firm that he gave up on would show he has no level of commitment and wouldn't be able to give an excuse why he left his father's business when that would have saved him more problems. His excuse can't be: "Well, I didn't want to be there, because it made me look like I was desperate."

• Love 5

In finales I want to feel sentimental and I want to feel sad that they show is going away and that I won't see these characters anymore. Even if a show needs to come to an end, like this show did, I want them to make me miss them.

This finale just didn't do it. It had moments but, for me, for the most part was meh. I think part of it was all the false starts during the goodbye. By the time it really was goodbye, the audience had been worn out and trained to not care because it might be another fake out. 

But that's par for the course with this show. False starts and fake outs. Haley's gonna grow as a character and be a style influencer on social media. Nope. She works a job she hates at a GOOP ripoff. Luke is gonna grow as a character and start a tech business with a partner. Just kidding. You'll never hear of that plot point again because he's being sent off to a college that's never been mentioned in the show before. Alex is gonna get it together and find love. Guess again. She's the smart sad sack character all the other characters dump on. 

So many missed opportunities with this show. Haley should've ended up with Andy. They were perfect together. Dylan was just dumber than dirt and not endearing at all. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Aryanna said:

But that's par for the course with this show. False starts and fake outs. Haley's gonna grow as a character and be a style influencer on social media. Nope. She works a job she hates at a GOOP ripoff. Luke is gonna grow as a character and start a tech business with a partner. Just kidding. You'll never hear of that plot point again because he's being sent off to a college that's never been mentioned in the show before. Alex is gonna get it together and find love. Guess again. She's the smart sad sack character all the other characters dump on. 

Yes and then the final episode also showed they could NEVER function as adults at all. As much as we saw Clair's helicopter parenting and Phil's being the fun dad. Apparently the only thing they ever taught their children was to use the bathroom and wash their hands. Other wise we saw three adults from 20-26 that couldn't do anything right no matter their IQ or experience. They were all just pathetic moochers and "woe is me." 

So many missed opportunities with this show. Haley should've ended up with Andy. They were perfect together. Dylan was just dumber than dirt and not endearing at all. 

Yeah, the show's obsession and even various fans, I don't get why they were so hot glued on Dylan. I don't care if he did become a nurse, he showed no brains whats so ever that he could have made it through nursing school or anything. This is a guy who doesn't even understand basic sentence structure and was more obsesses with being a garage band singer until he was 20. The only people that ever "dare" to tell Dylan he was a complete idiot were Clair and Jay and then they had to feel guilty when the guy couldn't add. 

• Love 1