Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E07: Madonna: The Unauthorized Rusical

• Start Topic

I think Gigi is one of those people (like me) who can get choreography if they have some time to grapple with it - but will look like a fool the first time they try it.

I also think Gigi was very lucky that her bit didn't require much in the way of challenging vocals or complicated dance steps.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 5:30 PM, Blissfool said:

I think Jan could have used a bushier brow to pull off the Madonna look.

Another thing, I'm a fan of Madonna. However, I didn't enjoy the Rusical as much as I thought i would have. I couldnt make out the melody of the original songs. The only one I really recognized was Justify My Love.

I'm in the same boat as you. None of the songs really evoked actual Madonna music much at all. Admittedly, I'm on the hmm.... <older> hmmmm..... side so I'm more familiar with her 80s and 90s music - but those pieces in the Rusical didn't really evoke the same feeling or emotion at all.  I realize a lot of that might have come down to worries of copyright infringement.

It brings to mind "Rap the Musical" from Mr. Show with Bob and David, where you can enjoy "The fun of Rap without all that Rap!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Jan did a great job singing and with the choreography, but didn’t give off the Madonna vibe.   Even back in the Lucky Star era, Madonna projected sexuality.  Jan just gave of a fun vibe.   I would have been happy if she had won, but I think Gigi won it, not with the backflip which was amazing, but with those stutter steps they showed her having trouble with during rehearsals.  She was fierce!

Yes exactly. Jan was a close second, but Gigi deserved the win. Jan needed to nail that kick and add a bit more sexiness. 

On 4/11/2020 at 4:29 PM, loki310 said:

Jaida’s Justify My Love was hella sexy.

Indeed. I was feeling a little sumpin' sumpin' during her performance! I got my eye on her as a stealth contender.

I LOVED Crystal's Ray of Light - her look was great and she added the right amount of humor. I'm starting to really appreciate her slighty toned-down anime look. 

• Love 5

Before you read, I want to clarify that this is a personal point of view and some may or may not agree with me, so don't throw Hate at me hahaha.

- First of all, this episode was better than Snatch Game, I think it wasn't the best game and the characters they played this season weren't the most outstanding or the worst, but it did leave a lot to be desired.

- A lot of people aren't talking about what happened at the beginning of the episode which was all the queens fighting and rubbing up against each other. That caught my attention because (maybe) for the first time I see that a season of RPDR is handled with conflict with all the contestants and that makes me a little sad and ugly to watch, I know this is a competition and someone must go out and win at the end, BUT, this is something that for me (as much as they want to do show) is unhealthy and inappropriate. In fact, in Untocked Sherry and Jaida they attack Widow again because of the lawsuit that happened in the previous episode about being prepared for the Snatch Game, even in fact he expresses himself badly about Jackie.

- I also noticed (as did many who watched the episode) the edited fight between Sherry and Widow. I don't understand why, I don't want to imagine that these two actually got into a fight or that it was a bad attempt to make a show, but I feel that there is something macabre and strange behind it.

- In the rehearsal we are shown that Widow is hurt in her leg for having done the Split in the first episode during her performance of I'm That Bitch this smells to me that something is going to happen with her... will her come out soon?

- Let's talk about this week's challenge: I'm glad it was about Madonna, since the last two about Cher and Donald Trump were horrendous. A redeemed and better done Rusical, it was interesting that they let the girls agree to choose their parts, something they would never have done in other seasons... Could it be that they are serious about making a big deal out of it?

- My suspicions came true: Gigi won another challenge again, which surprised me, I have nothing against her, I think she is a good competitor, she has all the ingredients, qualities and skills to be the winner and no doubt she will win this season, BUT she has become an easy competitor. It would be a boring and safe triumph, where there will be no risks, other winners like Jinx, Bob or Violet fought more and had competition, but nevertheless it makes me ugly that other queens do not win a challenge and everything is taken by her and Sherry. Gigi is already (at this point in the competition) a safe bet. And here the million-dollar question is not whether she will be the winner but who will go with her to the Top 3 in the final? My favorites: Jackie and Jaida.

- I'm already scared that Sherry will win and continue to stand out in the next episodes since the season started that's how it's been, and I'm afraid she'll be in the top 3 at the end of the season. I agree with many users when they say that it looked bad that she removed and edited her Runaway last week, it was disrespectful to me despite all the scandal that has happened to her.

Let's talk about Jan: It certainly struck me that at first when Ru mentioned her and told her that she was safe she made a surprised face, at that moment I thought ''ok she's going to win Crystal'' but it wasn't like that! Even in Untocked Heidi tells Jan that she will win and they all agree. I don't know if she is really doing a show or certainly she was indignant about everything when Brita says goodbye and starts to cry it was weird, was it because of Brita's exit or because she was upset for not winning, in Untocked it is implied that it is because of the first one, but who knows... Here is a strong rumor that I read yesterday Saturday in a forum in English: next week Jan will be out! If this is true, I can't imagine what will happen, but whatever it is, it will certainly be talked about and there will be a lot of Tea about it. The problem I see with Jan is that she boycotted herself when she said in the second episode that she was a huge fan of the show.

- Jaida and Widow were saved (again), it didn't help that they won in the first few episodes, they are certainly not letting them shine as they should (just like Jan) but well, let's see what happens to them in the next few episodes....

- I love Jackie, she's my rooster, I love her. Because of her, I keep watching this season, if she was gone I would stop watching it, I hope she goes far because she is more talented than what we have seen so far, it hurt me to see her at the Bottom because I feel that Jackie lacked a crazier and sexier personality in her Boy Toy performance (something that in RPDR they like to see in the contestants), I feel that she is reserved and not so sexual with her sexual preferences. And that showed up in this challenge.

I have conflicting thoughts with Crystal. At first, I liked her and had faith in her, but I feel that she is just the new Pearl of this season since Rupaul has something with her, maybe he loves her or her resemblance to The DeBarge, it would be unfair to me if she got to the top 5 or 4 because Crystal so far is more of a pretty one than showing a winning attitude.

- Brita's exit was worthy, much more than Aiden's and I think that as with Aiden she didn't have more to contribute to the show, the lipsinck against Heidi was disappointing, a bad theme that they put on them became inadequate.

- Heidi is a good contestant and deserves more, I even think she was stolen by Sherry in the World's Worst challenge, but I must admit (although it hurts someone) that it's true what Ru said about her in the reviews: she still doesn't connect all her quality as a Drag Queen, she can't put all her pieces together (this happened to Alyssa Edwards in season 5). I didn't like her performance in the Rusical, it was a bad ending, but well that's a personal taste.

On 4/13/2020 at 11:43 AM, Blakeston said:

I think Gigi is one of those people (like me) who can get choreography if they have some time to grapple with it - but will look like a fool the first time they try it.

I also think Gigi was very lucky that her bit didn't require much in the way of challenging vocals or complicated dance steps.

I also think Gigi plays up her "weaknesses" when she actually doesn't have many.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, filmfan2480 said:

I also think Gigi plays up her "weaknesses" when she actually doesn't have many.

I think stuff like that is played up for the cameras, and not necessarily by the queens. It's probably producer-driven, to tell a story. How many times have we seen folks fumble in rehearsals and then kill it (or at least be much improved) during the performance? 

• Love 5
On 4/12/2020 at 8:45 AM, DEL901 said:

I think they all underestimated Gigi because she’s the type of performer who comes alive in front of the audience.   

I like the majority of the cast.  Of course she who must not be named has been edited out as much as possible which helps.  I’ve liked Jan and I hope her disappoint at not winning doesn’t make her bitter.   And so happy Crystal is doing so well.  I hope she keeps it up.   And what can I say about Gigi except I hope this isn’t going to end up as a set up for a big upset....unless it is Crystal.  I’d be okay with her winning because I think Gigi has already proven herself and if she doesn’t win this season, she’s a lock for All Stars. 

Oh, I'm smelling a Shea Coulee` type run for Gigi. She keeps winning, I'm going to expect that someone else will win this season.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Is there even going to be a winner? How on earth will they film the finale? 

By goin' back old school when it was just family!  Three/four finalists, the judges and production crew could be tested and maybe a couple dozen people like they do for the comedy challenges, just to give the feel of an audience.

Anybody think that the contestants were told who to pick?  It seems that costumes for production challenges are generally furnished and there was a huge size difference on some of them (like Brita v. Gigi for Cone Bra Madonna) that would require more than just altering.

Also, funny that the two top queens had roles that nobody wanted.  Who wouldn't want Early Madonna?  

• Love 3

I think Gigi's acting personified Madonna the best, but had she had Jan's role I don't believe she would've done as well. Jan definitely had the most complicated choreography and she was obviously the best singer, but like some of you said she was missing the 'Madonna' element. 

I was surprised they weren't more aggressive in choosing the "right" era for themselves, Jan was basically pushed into the first 80's round and while she did amazing, I think she would've done better in another one. 

Having said that, while Jan was miles and miles better in terms of technical ability, Gigi just slayed her part. 

I was pushing for Widow but, to be honest, she fell short for me and now I'm looking at her sideways. I understand her knee was bruised, but, maybe it was just me, I was like "spare me the excuses" especially after talking all that crap about her dancing ability. 

I thought Jackie was a cabaret singer? Maybe I misunderstood but I was surprised at how poorly she did. Was she a cabaret performer like LuAnn from RHONY is a cabaret performer? 

I don't hate Brita as much, but all this season she was building herself as the queen of NYC, but she can't sing, dance, sew, act or be funny. Why is she allegedly so popular then? What's her act? I'm not being shady, I really don't understand why she's so successful. 

• Love 5

Jan did have the most complicated choreography but could that be because she was the best dancer?   I think the choreography was customized to the ladies’ abilities.    Like Gigi’s back flip.   That wasn’t a Madonna move and if anyone else had taken that part I doubt it would have been included. 

• Love 2
On 4/13/2020 at 2:15 PM, Guest said:

Here is a strong rumor that I read yesterday Saturday in a forum in English:

If you've heard rumors about who's being eliminated, you should put them in spoiler tags - even if you're not sure if they're true.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:38 AM, Sile said:

Also, funny that the two top queens had roles that nobody wanted.  Who wouldn't want Early Madonna?  

I think the issue with Early Madonna was that the contestants felt it had the most difficult vocals.

I still heart Jan but wow Crystal has been blowing me away, especially in this Rusical. I'm not sure if Gigi is going to continue to dominate and snatch the crown at the end, it's too obvious. Go Crystal! 

Heidi's talking heads continue to be the balm after a long hard day nowadays. Love u, gurl. 

I don't even notice Sherry anymore. I know she's there, my brain just scrubs her from my memory. It's a gift. LOL

• Love 2

I also keep forgetting about Sherry. The editing, it's working!

I have also incorporated Heidi's "Blessed and highly favored" into my everyday vocab. Like her, the phrase is a treasure. She and Crystal are the two sweetest queens I've seen in a long time.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rai said:

I also keep forgetting about Sherry. The editing, it's working!

I have also incorporated Heidi's "Blessed and highly favored" into my everyday vocab. Like her, the phrase is a treasure. She and Crystal are the two sweetest queens I've seen in a long time.

Me too ("Blessed and highly favored")!

• Love 1
On 4/11/2020 at 8:38 PM, NightOwl89 said:

I just ADORE Crystal, her performance made me laugh out loud. I agree with Gigi for the win- watching back, she’s the one who embodies Madonna the best.

These are some talented queens. I wish there was less of a clear winner, and the disqualified one wasn’t there, but damn this season is good. 

I adore Crystal, too!!  Such a sweetheart!  My hairstylist does drag and has worked with her in Springfield, MO., (And has also worked with Aquaria, Pearl, Widow VonDu, Katya, Trixie Mattel, and others).  Crystal in person is every bit as sweet as she is being shown.  I think she’s almost a lock for Miss Congeniality at the very least.