Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Control

• Start Topic

Airing April 12, 2020:

IT IS A THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE ON AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF ABC’S ‘THE ROOKIE,’ AIRING SUNDAY, APRIL 12

“Control” – Officer Nolan’s relationship with his first confidential informant is tested when he discovers her back on the street dealing drugs. Meanwhile, Lucy’s fear of dating following her abduction and her intrusion into Jackson’s relationship is beginning to threaten their friendship.

On 4/6/2020 at 1:22 PM, paigow said:

When does her Idol audition go viral?? West caught a lot of flak for going on the red carpet...

And shouldn't Nolan have some time off for almost being killed last week or at least show some trepidation in the field like Chen when she returned? 

Is "Hit'em hard, drive away fast" good enough to use for a confession? His lawyer can get around this.

Ford needs to provide better windshields for their cars. The lady wasn't driving that fast. "Safelite repair, Safelite replace".

Calderon is an embarrassment. Armstrong would have had this solved in no time. Wierd she let Lopez do the interrogation and take the credit.

So the title "Handler" carries so much weight Nolan can tell Grey and the DEA how to handle Bianca?!

Ripper has to be real stupid to not get a vibe something is up when someone just shows up with a bag of cash.

I know LA is big but how has Ripper or anyone in his crew not bump into Nyla in uniform?

Nolan had to brush up on his KC rib joints to pass off as the real deal.

I was hoping Nolan bumped into Ripper while he was buying coffee.

What a disaster operation. Were the back ups 10 seconds or 10 miles away? 

Dumb Bianca! If she was telling the truth about her mother, now there is no money for medication coming.

If Bianca showed up 3 minutes earlier, Nyla and Banks would never had noticed as he was trying to make a move on her.

I'm sure Grace got a box of cookies too, Nolan better watch out! Didn't the show try to have Chen get with a firefighter in season one?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 4

It was the usual ridiculousness but it wasn't boring.   I also was wondering why they are doing this big drug bust and it's just the 3 of them going in - lol!   The writers can't find anything for West to do.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, break21 said:

The writers can't find anything for West to do.

West got in trouble for letting those girls take selfies a few weeks ago...now he should just walk around like a Disneyland character??? He can be LAPD social media director..

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

I was hoping Nolan bumped into Ripper while he was buying coffee.

Like Butch and Marcellus Wallace...

Edited by paigow
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Like Butch and Marcellus Wallace...

Not too hardcore, it's a family show. My idea would be he bumps into him and the show ends with Ripper chasing Nolan through the streets in the same style of a Benny Hill chase (song and all).

Also, I want to know what 24 hour agency Ripper called for a back ground check on Crystal's "old man"? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Positives:

-Really happy that we got more Jackson and Lucy friendship scenes. Much needed on the show. Though I want more West storylines, it seems like Titus was busy during the shooting of season 2 since he is only been in so many scenes this season .

- Bradford and Chen finally talking about the guilt Tim felt during the kidnapping and blaming himself. Plus, I kind of enjoyed Bradfords mix of overprotective nature and jealousy whenever Chen brings up a guy she is Interested in: first Caleb and now Emmitt.

Ehh:

-Nolan 😆 

• Love 4

I liked this episode.  It was... well, normal.  No big over the top crisis that only Nolan could solve, just normal police work.  And I thought it gave good screen time & plot lines to the other characters.  (West excluded - like others said above, he's been sidelined lately.)  I liked Nyla's relationship with the other agent, and I liked that she turned down the sweet job offer to stay put and have some stability, but still was all "hell, yeah, I'll have dinner with you!"  🙂  I liked Chen & Bradford's connection, too.  

And, next week we're back to Nolan saves the world.  eh, it could only last so long...

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I liked this episode.  It was... well, normal.  No big over the top crisis that only Nolan could solve, just normal police work.  And I thought it gave good screen time & plot lines to the other characters.  (West excluded - like others said above, he's been sidelined lately.)  I liked Nyla's relationship with the other agent, and I liked that she turned down the sweet job offer to stay put and have some stability, but still was all "hell, yeah, I'll have dinner with you!"  🙂  I liked Chen & Bradford's connection, too.  

And, next week we're back to Nolan saves the world.  eh, it could only last so long...

Currently, I find Nolan to be the least interesting character on the show. Other characters have more compelling stories and have better connection with EACH other. 
It’s  awkward as he is the main character so you’re supposed to find him the most interesting but I don’t. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, devilhalo said:

Currently, I find Nolan to be the least interesting character on the show. Other characters have more compelling stories and have better connection with EACH other. 
It’s  awkward as he is the main character so you’re supposed to find him the most interesting but I don’t. 

I can't disagree with you on the fact that a lot of other characters have more compelling story lines.  Nyla's a good example - I like where they have taken that character.  Same with Bradford, Lopez & Chen.  Wesley and West are both big snoozefests for me, though.  But I do think Nolan has good connection with the other characters. 

I am a Nathan Fillion fan, so I will always have a soft spot in my heart for him, even if this isn't the greatest show.  For me, Firefly was his best, Castle runs second.  Then Dr. Horrible.  This... is better than no Nathan Fillion at all.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I can't disagree with you on the fact that a lot of other characters have more compelling story lines.  Nyla's a good example - I like where they have taken that character.  Same with Bradford, Lopez & Chen.  Wesley and West are both big snoozefests for me, though.  But I do think Nolan has good connection with the other characters. 

I am a Nathan Fillion fan, so I will always have a soft spot in my heart for him, even if this isn't the greatest show.  For me, Firefly was his best, Castle runs second.  Then Dr. Horrible.  This... is better than no Nathan Fillion at all.

I actually like Wesley and West. I think West has improved a lot in terms of being a cop and they have greatly developed his friendship with Chen. On the other hand, Nolan never hangs out with Chen and West anymore. 
I actually think Nolan had better connections with characters from last season - Anderson, Bishop and Ben, none of which are there this season.

I actually do not find Nolan having that kinda bond with the other characters this season. Because he is too busy playing James Bond instead of just being a rookie. 
I like Wesley. His PTSD storyline was compelling and he has fab chemistry with Lopez. 

• Love 3

Next season should be time jumped 10 years. Nolan is Chief, Wesley is Mayor, Bradford & Grey retired, Lopez is running Robbery Homicide. The title is still valid because it is the first day on the new job.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I thought that Lucy talking to herself in the car and Tim catching her was pretty adorable.  And her putting down the TV show "Cardinal" was funny too considering that it's produced by EOne entertainment who also produces the Rookie.   

Overall a pretty good episode and much better IMO than the last few.  

• Love 5
19 hours ago, break21 said:

It was the usual ridiculousness but it wasn't boring.   I also was wondering why they are doing this big drug bust and it's just the 3 of them going in - lol!   The writers can't find anything for West to do.

speculation based on a spoiler

Spoiler

There is a spoiler out there that one of cast members will die in the season finale.  Everyone is speculating that it might Sergeant Grey or Detective Armstrong but I can see it being West. Honestly he is barely on and has no real story. This might be why they brought up the Lopez becoming a detective plot in last night's episode as a way of her transitioning from TO to detective.  

Nolan suffers from the tried and tested “shows with bland/annoying main characters ”...You see it with TVD-Elena, Dawson’s Creek-Dawson, etc...

Lopez being all Badass Detective is what we need, and I actually hope they go with it next season. Seeing her read Detective Bitch, the riot act was so satisfying and I’m so happy they made Lopez look right throughout the whole episode.

Harper has definitely grown on me cause they are actually giving me reasons to truly like her. I sympathize with her situation with her daughter, her tough as nails teaching on the streets work. They have given her more layers and I like it. 

Bradford catching Lucy talking to herself and Lucy calling him out about him being “jealous”, not outright saying it, but “jealous” of Emmitt’s hunky-ness was great. Though, if they can’t bring back the actress that plays Rachel, I wouldn’t be shocked if they did go a slow burn triangle with Lucy/Emmitt/Tim. ( I will accept Lucy/Tim romance once he is no longer her T.O and she starts growing as her own officer.)

• Love 5

Glad Nolan is not in every scene.  I like Fillion but it's interesting to see more of the other characters.

My vision is poor, and I sometime have trouble telling the three police women apart, especially when one changes her hair.  When Bishop was on, I could always identify her, but not these three.

The ratings went from a big high to a big low.  It's hard to figure out.  I'd be amazed if they didn't get a Season 3 and if they get 3 they get 5, but it's just weird how their ratings are all over the place.   

Theories???  

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, break21 said:

The ratings went from a big high to a big low.  It's hard to figure out.  I'd be amazed if they didn't get a Season 3 and if they get 3 they get 5, but it's just weird how their ratings are all over the place.   

Theories???  

American Idol was a recap special and dropped in ratings. It is heavily dependent on that. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, break21 said:

Theories???  

Holidays are typically not big TV days. Lots of other factors affect ratings, too, like unseasonably warm weather, really bad weather, major sports events, natural disasters, etc, etc.

Due to the fact that pilot season and the May upfronts are not happening this year, networks will most likely renew all their current shows so they can start production as soon as it is safe to.

• Useful 3
8 minutes ago, orza said:

Holidays are typically not big TV days. Lots of other factors affect ratings, too, like unseasonably warm weather, really bad weather, major sports events, natural disasters, etc, etc.

Due to the fact that pilot season and the May upfronts are not happening this year, networks will most likely renew all their current shows so they can start production as soon as it is safe to.

Yes I forgot. It was Easter Sunday as well. People were spending time with family. Not watching TV. I also heard it was preempted in some places due to weather news. So that must have played a part as well. 

(edited)

Eh, every site that predicts what show gets canceled or not all have The Rookie Certain/Will be renewed. Remember their time slot and the day. They still bring in great ratings for a Sunday Night. Besides, one of the creators did say this year that they have Season 3 mapped out. 

I did like this episode overall cause it felt like they got back to true police work and not “what crazy situation can we throw Nolan in and make him the hero again”

Edited by CheetaraThunder
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, devilhalo said:

Yes I forgot. It was Easter Sunday as well. People were spending time with family.

Not here! 

Many of my friends were doing Passover and Easter celebration via Skype.
A few are Facebooking in dismay because they cooked a turkey on automatic, and now have to find freezer space for 10kilos of cooked turkey.
Although it is interesting that as we pass each other a socially responsible two metres apart on daily walks we actually are saying hello and having little chats.

We dropped our sportsball cable channels-- we only watched for curling anyway-- and turned to Netflix and On Demand programming.

Why isn't Castle on NetFlix yet? I have Dr Horrible and Firefly on DVD.Also Two Guys and a Girl. And Waitress and Slither.

I guess the PTB have 40 odd episodes of The Rookie they can replay which is a start.

I like the episodic nature of the show. Long story arcs annoy me, because if I miss an episode, I'm just lost.

Does any one else think Oliver does not exist? That he is just a handy excuse?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

Eh, every site that predicts what show gets canceled or not all have The Rookie Certain/Will be renewed. Remember their time slot and the day. They still bring in great ratings for a Sunday Night. Besides, one of the creators did say this year that they have Season 3 mapped out. 

It would be a total shock if it isn't renewed for S3!

ABC Press Release issued yesterday: https://www.wdtvpress.com/abc/shows/the-rookie/press-releases/

Multiplatform+35 Day Program Ratings

Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020

The Winter Premiere of ABC’s ‘The Rookie’ Soars to 11.4 Million Viewers After 35 Days of Viewing Across All Platforms

‘The Rookie’ More Than Triples With Adults 18-49 in Multiplatform Viewing

‘The Rookie’ Returns with Its Largest Audience of the Season and Its Top-Rated Telecast Since Its September Premiere

After 35 days of delayed viewing on linear and digital platforms, the Feb. 23 premiere of ABC’s “The Rookie” soared to 11.4 million Total Viewers and a 2.55 rating in Adults 18-49. “The Rookie” shot up by +6.5 million Total Viewers and by +223% with Adults 18-49 from Live+Same Day to Multiplatform+35 Day. Growing to a 2.55 rating among Adults 18-49, “The Rookie” more than tripled its initial rating after 35 days of multiplatform viewing (+223%).

The winter premiere grew over the series’ fall finale in December by 3% in Total Viewers (11.4 million vs. 11.1 million) to draw its biggest audience of the season. In addition, “The Rookie” returned with growth of 8% over its fall finale among Adults 18-49 (2.55 rating vs. 2.37 rating) to score its highest-rated telecast since its September season premiere – since 9/29/19.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

Not here! 

Many of my friends were doing Passover and Easter celebration via Skype.
A few are Facebooking in dismay because they cooked a turkey on automatic, and now have to find freezer space for 10kilos of cooked turkey.
Although it is interesting that as we pass each other a socially responsible two metres apart on daily walks we actually are saying hello and having little chats.

We dropped our sportsball cable channels-- we only watched for curling anyway-- and turned to Netflix and On Demand programming.

Why isn't Castle on NetFlix yet? I have Dr Horrible and Firefly on DVD.Also Two Guys and a Girl. And Waitress and Slither.

I guess the PTB have 40 odd episodes of The Rookie they can replay which is a start.

I like the episodic nature of the show. Long story arcs annoy me, because if I miss an episode, I'm just lost.

One of my local channels airs Castle on Saturday and Sunday nights.  Those first 2 years were MAGIC.  I wish Netflix, Hulu, AmazonPrimeVideo would pick it up.  I think someone else must own the rights - maybe Turner?  It's not getting picked up for a reason.  Someone else must own it.

This is a gentle reminder that if one wishes to talk about holiday TV schedules or Nathan Fillion's prior show (Castle, of course) that there is a Small Talk thread and it has its own show thread.

Let's get back to discussing this episode, please and thanks.

• Love 1

Here's a wacky meta-topic.  I've been trying to figure out why this episode was called "Control".

"The Overnight" was folowing different stories that happened overnight, which is a bit outside the norm for these day-shift cops.

"Hand-Off" was a bit obvious, to say the least.

But why "Control" for this episode?  Agent Banks (Mike the DEA guy) took control of the op, playing the Fed card against these L.A. cops, but it wasn't exactly a struggle.  Bianca the C.I. kinda did her own thing, was "out of control" a bit, but it's not like we had a strong permeating theme of "control" throughout the episode.  I can't think of other examples that would be even close to forming a theme.

Anyone?

Edited by Orbert
4 hours ago, Orbert said:

Here's a wacky meta-topic.  I've been trying to figure out why this episode was called "Control".

"The Overnight" was folowing different stories that happened overnight, which is a bit outside the norm for these day-shift cops.

"Hand-Off" was a bit obvious, to say the least.

But why "Control" for this episode?  Agent Banks (Mike the DEA guy) took control of the op, playing the Fed card against these L.A. cops, but it wasn't exactly a struggle.  Bianca the C.I. kinda did her own thing, was "out of control" a bit, but it's not like we had a strong permeating theme of "control" throughout the episode.  I can't think of other examples that would be even close to forming a theme.

Anyone?

No idea  - West gained control of his apartment when he showed Chen the door?  

• LOL 1
On 4/16/2020 at 6:01 PM, Orbert said:

I believe(though I might be mistaken) that the title Control is a reference to Nolan being Bianca's handler.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

I believe(though I might be mistaken) that the title Control is a reference to Nolan being Bianca's handler.

That was one of the "maybes" that I tossed out.  Expanding on that, there's the question of whether Nolan or Ripper really controls Bianca.  Bianca seems to do who own thing, wanting to assert herself that she alone controls her actions.  It just seems a little thin.

Like I said, the episode titles for this show are usually pretty obvious, and I was having trouble finding the theme this time.

5 hours ago, Orbert said:

That was one of the "maybes" that I tossed out.  Expanding on that, there's the question of whether Nolan or Ripper really controls Bianca.  Bianca seems to do who own thing, wanting to assert herself that she alone controls her actions.  It just seems a little thin.

Like I said, the episode titles for this show are usually pretty obvious, and I was having trouble finding the theme this time.

Informant Control Officer (ICO) - Officer controlling the confidential informant.

In other words, handler? <shrug>

I think Oliver exists, but he is much older. He's the same age as Nolan's son. She never said anything because Nolan had just left her and school to marry his pregnant ex. He can't marry both of them, so she decided to keep it a secret. 

12 hours ago, Orbert said:

Nolan controlling Bianca, Chen controlling Jackson and Sterling’s relationship, Bradford controlling Chen by not wanting her to date that EMT. The theme of control was there amongst all the characters 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, kili said:

I think Oliver exists, but he is much older. He's the same age as Nolan's son. She never said anything because Nolan had just left her and school to marry his pregnant ex. He can't marry both of them, so she decided to keep it a secret. 

I hope not. That would be too soap opera-ish. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, kili said:

That would be wild...if they go down this road they have to cast someone who looks just like Nathan Fillion. 😈

On 4/13/2020 at 5:33 AM, CheetaraThunder said:

Plus, I kind of enjoyed Bradfords mix of overprotective nature and jealousy whenever Chen brings up a guy she is Interested in: first Caleb and now Emmitt.

"He's a firefighter, for God's sake!"

Lmao, I worked with cops and firefighters, and even dated a couple - their rivalry is real, and dating either is not for the faint-hearted.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Lmao, I worked with cops and firefighters, and even dated a couple - their rivalry is real, 

Even a charity game, they hate each other....

• Love 2
21 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Informant Control Officer (ICO) - Officer controlling the confidential informant.

In other words, handler? <shrug>

I didn't realize that.  I knew that she was his CI (Confidential Informant) but I missed that he is her ICO.  Since the word is right there, I think that was probably the impetus.  The other relationships within the show are sufficiently well-developed that we can find examples of control or pretty much any broad concept.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Orbert said:

I didn't realize that.  I knew that she was his CI (Confidential Informant) but I missed that he is her ICO.  Since the word is right there, I think that was probably the impetus.  The other relationships within the show are sufficiently well-developed that we can find examples of control or pretty much any broad concept.

It was in an earlier episode when each Boot had to find their own C.I.

Ah yes, that's when we first met Bianca, wasn't it?  I knew we'd seen her before.  I liked that we got a follow-up to that, so it's too bad it turned out kinda badly for her.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:17 PM, Raja said:

It was in an earlier episode when each Boot had to find their own C.I.

It was also in this episode when they told Nolan that it was his call whether or not for Bianca to be used because he was her handler.

Call me silly, but why couldn't Jackson and Sterling hang out at Sterling's place? If he's a movie star, he must have some huge mansion nearby. They could have private time there, then hang out at Jackson and Lucy's place other times. Problem solved.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:50 AM, femmefan1946 said:

I never thought that, but it DID strike me as a bit odd that Grace mentioned only seeing him every other weekend or something like that. Unless there is some big reason, it seems like custody is generally either half and half, or balanced in favor of the mother. So what's going on that Grace hasn't mentioned?

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Call me silly, but why couldn't Jackson and Sterling hang out at Sterling's place? If he's a movie star, he must have some huge mansion nearby. They could have private time there, then hang out at Jackson and Lucy's place other times. Problem solved.

I never thought that, but it DID strike me as a bit odd that Grace mentioned only seeing him every other weekend or something like that. Unless there is some big reason, it seems like custody is generally either half and half, or balanced in favor of the mother. So what's going on that Grace hasn't mentioned?

My assumption is that given her job, they've arranged custody and visiting to fit when her schedule and her son's coincide. She likely doesn't work a M-F, 8 to 5 schedule.

Edited by Clanstarling
14 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I figured it's because the paparazzi would be staking out Sterling's place, and Jackson has been "ordered" (not sure if it's official) to keep a low profile.  Jackson would be seen and photographed entering and leaving Sterling's place.  So they go to Jackson and Lucy's place instead.  The paparazzi could still follow them there, but it seems like it would be at least a bit safer this way.

• Love 1