Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: One America News Network (OANN)

• Start Topic

Savaging of an ultra-right wing media group that performs open oral on the president at press conferences? Once again, John Oliver shines a light on the cockroaches of the world. OANN suuuuuuuuuucks. And their Chanel is Worst Chanel. Honestly, Chanel from Ridiculousness gets some hate (mostly for her laugh), but she doesn’t need to be slapped hard like Ms. Word-Of-The-Day. Seeing her “working” at the briefings, I wonder if attendance is really worth not smacking her with shoes.

Does Don Jr’s wife look like Melania? Also: of course they’d love Tiger King and take away the wrong lessons.

Aside from Disney World, is there any reason to visit Florida?

And John shows more awkward photos of himself. Always a treat. 👍

• Love 10

"Even after I have explosive diarrhea, I'm still full of shit." LOL. 

Boy, if that doesn't sum up OAN, though. I think my brain literally broke during that one woman's penguin gender rant. I truly don't even know where to begin with that. The leaps and stretches and pretzel twists involved were quite...something. 

Obviously it won't happen under this administration, but when this ends, everyone who defied orders and suggested others defy orders, every politician that was slow on the uptake (to put it mildly), every news outlet that spread lies...they all need to be held accountable. Every. Last. One. We need to send a message that this kind of irresponsible, dangerous behavior and commentary does not come without consequences. This is deeply horrifying and infuriating. 

I do find it amusing that those people are calling all the social distancing/shelter things Hitler/Nazi-ewque, though. I mean, even the federal government has mentioned the importance of that stuff, and it's Republican-led, so, by that logic...does that make them Hitler/Nazi-esque, too?

(On that note, I'm sad to see my state of Iowa on the list of states that have yet to do shelter orders, but I'm also not one bit surprised 😕.)

As for the less stressful stuff, so now we're at the point of asking how tight someone's underwear is, huh :p? Ah, the TMI era. What a time to be alive. 

I also love that there may be a lead on that artwork :D!

• Love 13

I usually don't post here, but I just have to say that I honestly think John has more hate and disgust for Jared Kushner than Trump.  Don't get me wrong: he clearly has the lowest opinion of Trump possible (and I certainly won't argue with him), but there was some real intensity and anger with the way he was addressing what Kushner was saying.  Certainly won't blame him on that, but I found it interesting.

Other than that, I was admittedly someone who wasn't familiar with OAN, and I'm now partially glad to be warned about them, but also partially upset to know about it.  Can't believe I'm saying this, but they actually do make FOX News seem tamer when it comes to kissing Trump's ass and allowing insane shit to be said on their programs.  The sad thing is that I wonder if the day will come if we ever get a "news" organization that will end up making OAN look less horrific... 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

I usually don't post here, but I just have to say that I honestly think John has more hate and disgust for Jared Kushner than Trump.  Don't get me wrong: he clearly has the lowest opinion of Trump possible (and I certainly won't argue with him), but there was some real intensity and anger with the way he was addressing what Kushner was saying.  Certainly won't blame him on that, but I found it interesting.

Agreed. At this point I think he's just accepted that Trump is gonna be Trump. But yeah, there was a particular venom and anger in his voice when he ranted at Kushner. I think it was just the sheer callousness in Kushner's words (frankly, after seeing that clip, I think Oliver's being generous in thinking he has any empathy stored anywhere at all). It was very cathartic indeed.  

Other than that, I was admittedly someone who wasn't familiar with OAN, and I'm now partially glad to be warned about them, but also partially upset to know about it. 

Agreed. Thankfully, nobody I personally know would dare watch something like that, but I'll definitely try and alert people online to this segment if they start in on talking about watching that network. 

The sad thing is that I wonder if the day will come if we ever get a "news" organization that will end up making OAN look less horrific... 

Oh, god, let's not give anyone any ideas D:. 

16 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I love that he does that :D. Both because I enjoy the way he pokes fun at himself and also because it's just a kick seeing old photos of him in general. Hee. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I love that his old haircuts are a running gag this season, after that billboard campaign promoting it. Keep looking for ways to work in that callback!

And speaking of which, that right-wing MORON having the audacity to compare the privations of WWII to missing a hair appointment made me want to scream. 

On a happier note, that Whale Jizz color is actually quite pretty. It will look great with the rat erotica!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Too bad that the news of Johnson getting hospitalised came so late, I would have loved to see his reaction to the news.

The interpreter deserves a raise! That's talent.

...really, the churches are kept open? Doesn't the guy knew that churches were one of the main source for the plague spreading as badly as it did?

Also, I didn't think that there is a network even worse than Fox news.

I hope that the other networks stop airing the press briefings life. fact checking was never as necessary as now.

Also, for the record, modern day Germany is fine going a few weeks without hair-cuts if it means getting out of the current lockdown as fast as possible.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Does Don Jr’s wife look like Melania?

Fun fact: Don Jr's girlfriend, Kimberly Guilfoyle, was once married to the current governor of California, Gavin Newsom. I do see the resemblance too. 

I was remembering that Tomi Lahren had gotten her start on OANN where, like Jerry Springer, she closed her show with her "final thoughts," but Tomi's were mostly just anti-liberal rants. In fact, that slippery slope penguin gender conspiracy theorist, Liz Wheeler, took over right after Tomi left to join Glenn Beck's network and then to Fox News. 

OANN runs a count of how much they claim illegal immigration is costing America every day.

John did briefly mention the word Sciolist in Chanel Rion's Wordeby's, but I really wish he had gone a little deeper there.

"A person who pretends to be well-informed but has only superficial knowledge; a self-proclaimed expert who actually understands very little. Why this Latin word ever died is an utter mystery. It describes a common and infuriating human thorn who, at their worst, end up writing our laws and spending our money and at their best, are hapless bullies who test the patience of angels. Sciolists are ubiquitous -- insufferable know-it-alls who have nothing better to do than tell everyone else how things work. We inherited this word from the Latin 'sciolus' -- which means "smatterer;" someone who speaks with spotty or no knowledge. The practice of sciolism is exercised by those who are blindly arrogant about their own worth and whose narcissism levels are only surpassed by the shallow depths of their understanding. Unfortunately, this word is not only all around us, but as obnoxious as it is, we have all engaged in an episode of sciolism at one point or another. Some more frequently than others but nonetheless, sciolists we have been and may sometimes be.

So here's to being aware of the awful state of sciolism -- and here's to avoiding it as best we humanly can. . . ~Wordeby's by Chanel Rion . ."

Just to be clear, the above was written by OANN's White House Correspondent. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Backpfeifengesicht is btw a fairly everyday word in Germany. I am sure she only found it because it is one of those "strange German words" youtubers love to mention. It literally means as much as a face which just asks for getting punched.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Popples said:

Maybe one day the in-depth story the show does will be on sign-language interpreters. 

Only if Keegan Michael Key is the "Anger Interpreter"...He can coach a class of legit ASL interpreters working with those flame throwing Italian mayors....

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

I object to Jared's apparent voice transplant.

I miss Gilbert Gottfried doing the voice.

I've heard of OANN and read about them. Can't believe they're allowed at the White House to "ask questions." I can't wait until we get a real President who will deny passes to these kinds of outlets.

Loved the sign language interpreter doing Beyonce's show. That was amazing.

Jared=alt-right Pinocchio. 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Watching Chanel, I thought she was auditioning to be the next Mrs. T. If Hope Hicks turns it down.

If this was Westworld, it would be comedy gold to build a Chanel host with a Chris Cuomo/ Don Lemon/ Rachel Maddow brain

• Love 2

I recognized the idiot reporters asking Trump dumb questions but didn't realized they were a different network. I assumed it was another idiot from Fox. Just what we need two stupid networks full of idiots spreading crap. As dumb as they are I'll never understand how they end up popular. How can anyone listen to the idiot penguin rant and not think she's a nuts.

I loved John explaining how getting into the Library of Congress wasn't even that impressive consider what else is there including his own show. 

I love John using the idiot's words from her page. 

I'm so glad the show's back. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

It is interesting that Trump is a bigger fan of OANN than Fox News. Is it ironic that all the OANN young female reporters look like Stepford Wives? 

When John was talking about how Trump responds well to those female reporters and whatnot, I was sitting here thinking, "Yeah, I bet he does...".

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

You know normally I don't waste any brain space on OAN but today in my Facebook feed I saw an ICU NURSE WHO IS COMPLAINING NONSTOP ABOUT THE LACK OF PPE post an OAN video on why everything needs to open up ASAP. And I came to this thread and I'm  still angry about it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

You know normally I don't waste any brain space on OAN but today in my Facebook feed I saw an ICU NURSE WHO IS COMPLAINING NONSTOP ABOUT THE LACK OF PPE post an OAN video on why everything needs to open up ASAP. And I came to this thread and I'm  still angry about it.

I had a similar experience, which I shared on the Media thread. I didn’t click that.

ETA: I forgot to add this:

On 4/10/2020 at 6:50 PM, Xantar said:

Awwww man. No Gilbert Gottfried voice for Kushner this time?

I think John has decided Gilbert Gottfried's shrill voice is too good for the likes of Jared Kushner.

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5