Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 4/6/2020

falltime
  • Start Topic

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Whoopi was operating on slo-mo today, for sure.   It was maddening. 
How did she ever get to be the moderator in the first place?   I wasn't watching back then.   There had to have been better choices, unless she herself was more on the ball years ago.  She doesn't even seem to be happy to be there, most days.   She's snippy, pissy, and can't formulate a coherent sentence.  

She has always been like this, the only difference is that Barbara Walters would let her know that she was the Queen B at the table and not her. Whoopie would actually back down and rumor has it that Barbara hated how she dressed on the show.  Whoopie has always been a sloppy mess but she has gotten better in the wardrobe department..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 8

I can't speak to every single day, but WG's wardrobe has vastly improved since she's been broadcasting from home.   This tells me that the wardrobe people at The View are mitigated disasters.   If they dress Whoopi and NutMeg, enough said.   Even Sunny has her share of bad outfits in the studio.   That whole department should be eliminated, as the hosts do a better job themselves.   Well, maybe not Meggie, but she has questionable taste in many areas.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

There had to have been better choices, unless she herself was more on the ball years ago.

She was definitely not more on the ball years ago.  I stopped watching, except for every now and then, a year or so after she joined the show specifically because I was tired of watching her and her couldn't-care-less demeanor.  She seemed bored to tears.  Up until the era of Meghan I had never seen someone on tv behave so unprofessionally.

I watched Rosie's second season, and then I decided to start watching again in Jan. 2017 as a break from cable news.  I thought then that Whoopie was putting in more effort, and at least trying to do a good job, unlike before, but unless I could actually re-watch some of those early episodes of hers, I'm not sure if that was a matter of me having either lower standards or lower expectations at that point.

This show seems content to coast along on it's "reputation" and longevity.  Just imagine what it could be like if they actually cared about quality.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Sam Spayaid said:

It'll be right up there along side all your other perennial and much-quoted favorites, including such gems as:

1. My father was a war hero
  2. My father was a POW
  3. My father was a senator
  4. My father got cancer 
  5. My father died
  6. I'm a political commentator/pundit
  7. I'm a pro life, gun-loving Republican

Come on! Embrace your silver fox!!

Hah thats funny. Throw in the complimentary drinking game, and if you call within the next ten minutes, we'll throw in the bell freeeeeee!  🍻🛎

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

I can't speak to every single day, but WG's wardrobe has vastly improved since she's been broadcasting from home.   This tells me that the wardrobe people at The View are mitigated disasters.   If they dress Whoopi and NutMeg, enough said.   Even Sunny has her share of bad outfits in the studio.   That whole department should be eliminated, as the hosts do a better job themselves.   Well, maybe not Meggie, but she has questionable taste in many areas.

I agree that she looks much better dressed these last few weeks. But then I got to thinking...maybe its just that we are just seeing her from the chest up. Maybe she's a mess from the chest down.

On TV we see ALL OF WHOOPI... her over-oversized shirts (masking her bra-less boobs that she says dangle to her knees), her sloppy pants, and her funky shoes.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, OnTime said:

I'm not going to defend "View Your Deal" but they probably have existing contracts with the vendors and may not be able to get out of them.

Monday's VYD was highlighting small businesses, hoping to keep them (and their employees) afloat while so many businesses have shut down. I can't begrudge them that.

Edited by lurkerbee
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, lurkerbee said:

Monday's VYD was highlighting small businesses, hoping to keep them (and their employees) afloat while so many businesses have shut down. I can't begrudge them that.

Speaking of VYD, earlier this week they featured a sock that is long enough to go up your calf, but has a hole on the top of your foot.  The day before, I had seen Sarah wearing them in her Instagram story. I sent her a message, "what's up with those socks?" As expected, she didn't reply to me, but I was surprised to see them on VYD the next day.  I wonder if she got them from the company free.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

It’s recommended that people not wear contacts at the moment to limit touching one’s eyes. 

Or maybe, like me me, they didn't get to the eye doctor before the shutdown happened. I miss my contact lenses. 😞

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

To answer the earlier questions, Whoopi was never a good moderator, from the beginning.  But back then, she constantly had BaWa correcting and interrupting her, which made her quite annoyed. 

She also went through a years-long period where she did not even pretend how much she could not care about certain topics and guests.

When BaWa left, I do believe she started to take her role as moderator a bit more seriously.  

Rosie joining the show may also have pushed her to get her shit together.

But, in the end, she is woefully inadequate as a moderator.  The only good thing about her being remote is that for some reason she doesn't lecture the audience.  Here's the thing!  etc., etc.

She is clearly so focussed on trying to remote host, so much so that she can't pontificate. YAY for that small gift to us.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, gatopretoNYC said:

Or maybe, like me me, they didn't get to the eye doctor before the shutdown happened. I miss my contact lenses. 😞

I have only one new pair of monthlies left. I'm scared to open them because now and then I drop/lose lenses. I can always order new lenses, but I don't know if the prescription I have is any good or not. I've had problems with my vision and eye strain lately. 😞

• Love 1
6 hours ago, bannana said:

When BaWa left, I do believe she started to take her role as moderator a bit more seriously.  

Oh my gawd.   You mean she was worse????   How did she land this gig???   She is woefully ill-equipped for everything that this position requires.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, lusinia said:

This show seems content to coast along on it's "reputation" and longevity.  Just imagine what it could be like if they actually cared about quality.

Excellent point.   Now I'm conjuring up a Dream Team in my head.  

Joy and Ana are already on it.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, bannana said:

To answer the earlier questions, Whoopi was never a good moderator, from the beginning.  But back then, she constantly had BaWa correcting and interrupting her, which made her quite annoyed. 

She also went through a years-long period where she did not even pretend how much she could not care about certain topics and guests.

When Whoopi was  hired after Rosie left the first time I think ABC probably thought they needed a big name to get people to forget the kerfuffle that led up to Rosie leaving.  Whoopi probably thought she could just show up and it would be enough. I don't think she ever thought being a moderator actually required work. For her being moderator meant she got to talk first.  

Up until recently she was still rolling her eyes and sliding out of her chair when the topic was something she thought was beneath her.

1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

Excellent point.   Now I'm conjuring up a Dream Team in my head.  

Joy and Ana are already on it.

As much as I did not like Bill Geddie the View really started going downhill when he left. The suits at ABC seem to have more influence now and it shows.  The commercials embedded in the show. The VYDs.  The lack of A list guests.  For anyone who hasn't seen the Prime movie Late Night it has Emma Thompson as a talk show host who is forced to interview a youtube star because she has so many followers.  That is what the View has become.  After the election I predict the View's quality of guests is going be lower.

Add Meredith to the dream team.

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 9

I always assumed Whoopi got this gig because (A) she came cheap, (B) Disney loves her and (C) she was still sort of a big deal at the time.  I also assumed that she refused to do any sort of auditioning or test runs so ABC had no idea how completely incompetent she would be.  Fast forward to today and not only is she still just as incompetent as she always was, but she is also complacent and willing to show her disdain for the job on a daily basis.

• Love 7

Dare I say that if she were to be let go, she'd be filing multiple law suits.  

Yes to Meredith.   So - Joy, Ana, Meredith.  Who would be a good fit for the younger demographic?

12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I agree that she looks much better dressed these last few weeks. But then I got to thinking...maybe its just that we are just seeing her from the chest up. Maybe she's a mess from the chest down.

Let's hope she's dressed at all from the chest down.   We know how she likes to feel comfy.

Edited by Ladyrain
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

I always assumed Whoopi got this gig because (A) she came cheap, (B) Disney loves her and (C) she was still sort of a big deal at the time.  I also assumed that she refused to do any sort of auditioning or test runs so ABC had no idea how completely incompetent she would be.  

Taking response to Whoopi's Thread

19 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I loved everything Joy had to say about Bernie and she is right in that Bernie has been vindicated with what is going on. I had no interest in what the others had to say due to their disrespect of Bernie..

I had the opposite reaction. Joy and Sunny talking about how Bernie has been vindicated and how important Medicare is just made me feel like these women were either living in a bubble, or they purposely went after Bernie even when they knew he was right. And to contrast that from how he was treated the last time he was on the show, I didn't like it.

Whoopi was smug though. She's still angry that the Senator didn't do her Governor's job and implement free schools and healthcare in Vermont.

21 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Dare I say that if she were to be let go, she'd be filing multiple law suits.  

Yes to Meredith.   So - Joy, Ana, Meredith.  Who would be a good fit for the younger demographic?

Let's hope she's dressed at all from the chest down.   We know how she likes to feel comfy.

They need a progressive on the show, like a Nomiki or an Ana. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Oh my gawd.   You mean she was worse????   How did she land this gig???   She is woefully ill-equipped for everything that this position requires.

Pretty pretty bad. When they’d be on the round couch and a subject like Kim  Kardashion  would be the topic  she would  slide down in the couch, drop her hand on the floor and roll her  eyes. She also came out daily eating something. When she first started she was still doing a early early radio show so that’s how we explained her total lack of interest. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Does Whoopi read here?   She just said that maybe she isn't wearing drawers.

Wow.   Meghan just brought her head up close to the camera to show us her inch worth of gray roots.  Pigs must be flying, because I'm about to say......good for her!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

I think BaWa felt sorry for her after she was black-balled from her industry & gave her the job (if I remember correctly).  I think The Whoopster thought it was "beneath her dignity", but needed the money.  She was always varying degrees of irreverant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

So did Whoopie get the question wrong initially when she asked everyone who they'd like to be quarantined with (a question she already asked within the last week or so, and I'm thinking, boy, they really have run out of things to talk about), because after Meghan answered, when Whoopie asked Joy, she switched it to "who wouldn't you want to be quarantined with", and Joy said, "Someone told me you were going to ask this...".

(I was thinking they might be off next week, for their holiday break, and that it would be a good time for one, but my cable guide says they're new.)

"time is a construct"

22 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

They didn't mention that Ana's husband fell & messed up his knee really bad. 

This isn't a live show today.  Otherwise, I'm sure they would've mentioned Jed having coronavirus, which she tweeted about late yesterday.

13 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Seems like it is taped but I thought they were always live.

Since they've been doing the show from home, Friday's show is pre-recorded.

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 5

So.   She gets paid millions of dollars to basically "just show up".   That's disgusting.   How can she not appreciate the golden opportunity she's been given with this show.   She's an actor (as she loves to remind us with her trophies).   Just ACT like you can do the job, Whoopi.   You can do it; I know you can.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Yeah, this certainly seemed prerecorded. (When were they all together?  Wed?). Boring show.

Wow, I actually have 3 of the VYD items- the Peepers readers (bifocal sunglasses), the flip belt for running (this was a different maker), and the little cross body bag. All 3 are terrific, useful items.

The gratitude jar and lotions?  No thanks. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Jedediah has the 'rona??   But how can that be?   Her network said it's all a hoax.  

I don't mean to snark at her; I actually didn't mind her at all when she was on The View.  Go figure.   I wish her well, and hope her baby stays safe.   I have to keep reminding myself that the virus is not an automatic death sentence and that most people recover.  

• Love 11

If I need a “gratitude jar” I think I’ll save $30 and use a old coffee can or a mayonnaise jar.  Apparently I don’t have $30 worth of gratitude.

• LOL 16
  • Love 5

They have a promo on TV that says they are live everyday and then this... they didn't seem live today!

https://abc.com/shows/the-view

'The View' is the place to be heard with live broadcasts five days a week co-hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Sunny Hostin, and Meghan McCain.

Edited by OnTime
  • LOL 4

You can tell this show was recorded after yesterday's shows considering all the fluff topics. Still, I enjoyed it for what it was, except for McCain getting to speak first on nearly ever topic, ugh. I felt like she was subtly responding to some of the comments I see here and lying through her teeth, lol. Like when she said she's so glad she isn't locked up with somebody she hates (some here were joking about her and her awful hubs being locked up together with only one another to maul). And then she laughably called herself an extrovert despite being completely antisocial. I guess that was to counter what Elizabeth said about her not liking people when she visited the show a couple of weeks ago. She may claim to miss all the hair stylists and co-workers and producers she's terrorized, cursed out, or tried to get fired, but I have no doubt they do NOT miss her and are grateful to be away from her.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 11

Joy seems to have better connection now, so maybe we can go back to having Whoopi for 4 episodes a week. Since they are prerecording Friday's show maybe we can have Monday be Whoopi free. Show, give Ana a call, she does have internet down there in Miami. She seems to do happy hour on her instagram live. On Wednesday she had on George Lopez. I didn't get to watch because instagram video stories always freeze on me.

I really hope they filmed those studio VYD weeks ago and don't have the ladies still coming in to film them. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, UpTooLate said:

The book is coming out in paperback, with a bonus chapter, this week. I'm sure that's why The View and the author are "making sparks."

I likely wouldn’t have bought it anyway, but I definitely know I wouldn’t now, knowing the author’s personal connection to McCain. The only View-related tell-all I would consider is one put out by Joy. Although I would probably buy Meredith's or Rosie's biographies just because I like them, unrelated to The View.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, bannana said:

Rosie joining the show may also have pushed her to get her shit together.

From what I recall (interviews over the years, Walters' memoir, and the book 'Ladies Who Punch'), when Meredith announced she was leaving in early 2006, Walters and Geddie presented ABC with a 'short list' of three of who they wanted to replace her. Whoopi and Rosie were on that list, though Walters was pushing for Whoopi. (Walters' friend Kathie Lee Gifford was the third name, according to the gossip columns). 

ABC wanted to bring in Rosie, since she was a ratings queen for them when she did her own show. I remember there was talk back then that ABC had offered Goldberg the chair vacated by Star Jones, but she felt is was more of a 'consolation prize' and said no. 

Once Rosie left, ABC let Walters hire Whoopi - and Whoopi had said many times that Walters gave her a job when she was not wanted in Hollywood (over her President Bush comments in 2004, which got her 'blacklisted' in Hollywood). Whoopi needed a job - and Walters provided one for her, which is most likely why she put up with Walters' BS for so long. (Joy has made reference more than once over the past few years that Whoopi was supposed to have the gig when Meredith left, and Whoopi just brushes it off.) 

In interviews since leaving the show in 2015 (and again, I believe it's in the book 'Ladies Who Punch' as well) Rosie has taken full credit for 'waking up Whoopi' in the moderator's chair, claiming Whoopi was threatened by Rosie returning and therefore 'upped' her game.

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I likely wouldn’t have bought it anyway, but I definitely know I wouldn’t now, knowing the author’s personal connection to McCain. The only View-related tell-all I would consider is one put out by Joy. Although I would probably buy Meredith's or Rosie's biographies just because I like them, unrelated to The View.

I read it last year when it came out (I work in a library), and trust me - you're not missing anything. There was very little which he said that we didn't know before. He repeats himself throughout the book, and it doesn't live up to it's hype. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

With all that is going on I can’t believe TPTB thought they had to bleep Whoopi saying “F bomb”.     FUCK!  There! I said it for you.  Is everyone still conscious?  No fainting or vapors?  Good.  Hope you all stay well. 💜

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

He repeats himself throughout the book

When I read it I was surprised at how poorly written (edited) it was.  If I didn't know better I would've thought it was a self-published e-book.

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, falltime said:

I really hope they filmed those studio VYD weeks ago and don't have the ladies still coming in to film them. 

Yes, they were taped a couple weeks ago. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

What Rosie awakened in Whoopi wasn't good moderating or worthwhile commentary, unfortunately. It was just hateful, dominating, argumentative for the sake of it assholery. She didn't add anything substantive to the show while she was in that stage, all she did was antagonize anyone she wanted out and acted like she was the new Barbara and owned the show. Every decision she had a part in was a disaster (chased off a rational conservative like Paula, helped get Raven and Meghan hired) except for Sara. She's finally calmed down somewhat these past two years, but she was unbearable. I'm just glad she failed to drive out Sunny like she did O'Donnell, Perez, and Faris.

Also, Joy had a hand in getting Whoopi hired, which is why Whoopi has always been extra gracious to Joy. Barbara hesitated because of the controversy Whoopi had been in recently, and Joy urged her to hire Whoopi over Gayle King.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Am watching it recorded now.  They made a note that Hillary was the first to talk about universal health care, but I know bernies been around a long time so I was curious and googled it.  It’s actually been discussed since Roosevelt  years...he was shot down by Health industry and business.  This was a time when other countries were putting theirs together after the war.  When Medicare passed the intent was that this would ultimately be “for all”.  And in 1971 ted Kennedy introduced his first attempt to get universal health care. So Hillary wasn’t the first either. It’s been around a long time but business interests always defeat it.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

As much as I did not like Bill Geddie the View really started going downhill when he left. The suits at ABC seem to have more influence now and it shows.  The commercials embedded in the show. The VYDs.  The lack of A list guests.  For anyone who hasn't seen the Prime movie Late Night it has Emma Thompson as a talk show host who is forced to interview a youtube star because she has so many followers.  That is what the View has become.  After the election I predict the View's quality of guests is going be lower.

Yes, yes and yes but adding the contentious Mizz McCain to the panel certainly did NOT help either! I don't know why this show has never even bothered to try to pick a co-host who would blend in with the rest of the panel? Like a revolving door, they go through person after person who should never have been there in the first place! I guess nobody at ABC has ever heard the expression "good fit" because the whole concept seems beyond their scope.

57 minutes ago, Lifesabeach said:

With all that is going on I can’t believe TPTB thought they had to bleep Whoopi saying “F bomb”.     FUCK!  There! I said it for you.  Is everyone still conscious?  No fainting or vapors?  Good.  Hope you all stay well. 💜

Ever since Disney bought ABC, they are have imposed more ridiculous bloody family values stupidity, behaving like prim proper Victorian prudes. There is a show here in Canada called "Workin' Moms" and the first episode showed bare breasts AND there was a generous sprinkling of "F Bombs" and assorted other profanity. And guess what? Nobody's HEAD EXPLODED!!!!

ABC treats their viewers like children.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Sam Spayaid said:

Ever since Disney bought ABC, they are have imposed more ridiculous bloody family values stupidity, behaving like prim proper Victorian prudes. There is a show here in Canada called "Workin' Moms" and the first episode showed bare breasts AND there was a generous sprinkling of "F Bombs" and assorted other profanity. And guess what? Nobody's HEAD EXPLODED!!!!

ABC treats their viewers like children.

To be fair, none of that would be allowed on any of the 3 major networks. It has nothing to do with ABC or Disney. I think, its the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) who makes those rules.

Cable, because it's a subscription service, allows it all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Does Whoopi read here?   She just said that maybe she isn't wearing drawers.

Wow.   Meghan just brought her head up close to the camera to show us her inch worth of gray roots.  Pigs must be flying, because I'm about to say......good for her!

Somehody shoot it down! (The pig, nothing else) lol. That maybe all we get to eat this week..  blah bad joke.  Whole thing reminded me of Carnivale

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Also, Joy had a hand in getting Whoopi hired, which is why Whoopi has always been extra gracious to Joy. Barbara hesitated because of the controversy Whoopi had been in recently, and Joy urged her to hire Whoopi over Gayle King.

I had heard the rumors about Gayle King, but I thought she was being considered once Walters left the show in 2015 - which she eventually ended up at CBS 'This Morning'.

IIRC, back in 2006-07, Oprah was pushing for King to get her own syndicated talk show under the same umbrella of Oprah's "Dr. Phil", "Dr. OZ", and "Rachel Ray" - but the format never took shape. 

I do recall reading in the papers that Walters was pushing for KLG, who had been off-air since leaving "Regis Live" in 2000. She thought she would keep the same viewers which Meredith attracted, which she probably would have done (and I would never be watching). Rosie ended up getting not only a younger audience to the show, but I believe that's when more men were starting to tune in as well as it was centered around politics and current events (that includes this male viewer).  Between younger viewers and a male demo added to the daily audience, the ratings skyrocketed. 

12 hours ago, geekburger said:

“I’m not good at chit-chat”

-Talk show host/moderator Whoopi Goldberg

In all fairness, she meant this in her private life - not her public work life. I'm the same way - I have dealt with the public my entire career, making chit chat with people is part of my job. I love it. Yet when I go home, I turn off the phone and need my 'quiet' time. Many nights I pass up invites from friends to go out for dinner, as I'm tired of talking all day and listening to others - I'm not good at 'chit chat' when I'm 'off the clock' for the day.  I understand where Whoopi is coming from when she says this. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Cable, because it's a subscription service, allows it all.

This wasn't cable either. It was on our "National network" CBC, which is the equivalent of the BBC.

We're pretty raunchy up here in the true north! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

OMGGGGGGGGG!! this is off topic, and I do apologize ListMom but i am so excited! Busting a gut doesnt hardly capture it hehehehehehehe!  Ok i just read they are writing a big screen adaptation of 'Salem's Lot'!!!!!!!  Yeessss!  I love this SK resurgence of his early works.  Ok to bring it back on topic...remember that time at band camp.....heh j/k.  But seriously, there was that episode that SK did last season, which brought Mother Abigail to Whoopi...and i am whoop whoop whooping this morning!  Ok settle down now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Tammee said:

OMGGGGGGGGG!! this is off topic, and I do apologize ListMom but i am so excited! Busting a gut doesnt hardly capture it hehehehehehehe!  Ok i just read they are writing a big screen adaptation of 'Salem's Lot'!!!!!!!  Yeessss!  I love this SK resurgence of his early works.  Ok to bring it back on topic...remember that time at band camp.....heh j/k.  But seriously, there was that episode that SK did last season, which brought Mother Abigail to Whoopi...and i am whoop whoop whooping this morning!  Ok settle down now.

Well, I hope they don't hire Whoopi because then she'll be showing up on The View with vampire teeth for 6 mos like she did with the white hair.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Sam Spayaid said:

This wasn't cable either. It was on our "National network" CBC, which is the equivalent of the BBC.

We're pretty raunchy up here in the true north! 

I grew up just outside of Buffalo, NY and we would get the Canadian stations.  I loved the CBC, i can remember for awhile they would play all the 5 eps a week of Days of our Lives, on Saturday..  then they had a great show about a newspaper place and the comings and goings.  And for radio 101 fm out of Toronto.  Always got me in the great mood to go out with.  Aaah the memories!  Im jealous of you @Sam_Spayaid 

• Love 2