Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Bagman

• Start Topic

On 4/7/2020 at 2:53 PM, Pike Ludwell said:

I think Kim realized, while talking to Lalo, she'd made a huge mistake in going to him. I could see it in her eyes. Going to him was a gamble, and she knows she lost. She will certainly realize that it's a new, dangerous ballgame now and she may have to disappear from Albuquerque.

I think she is going to disappear before the end of this series one way or the other.

I’ve been catching up on this season and really enjoyed it until this episode. Nothing makes things screech to a halt faster for me than “watch people wander in the desert for a third of the episode”. 

Hated it when vehicles broke down in the middle of the desert in BB, still not a fan. I get that the desert itself kills, but we know neither of them are going to die out there. They could have set up Kim’s error in some other way. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, kieyra said:

I’ve been catching up on this season and really enjoyed it until this episode. Nothing makes things screech to a halt faster for me than “watch people wander in the desert for a third of the episode”. 

Hated it when vehicles broke down in the middle of the desert in BB, still not a fan. I get that the desert itself kills, but we know neither of them are going to die out there. They could have set up Kim’s error in some other way. 

Now I’m wondering if those who appreciated the long scenes in the desert tend to also be those who have lived in the desert. Although I’ve been living 2 miles from Lake Michigan for 20 years, I also lived in the high mountain desert for 15 years, and I did like the desert scenes. Perhaps it’s not possible to relate to those scenes if, for example, the only extreme heat one has experienced is a humid heat in which one can die because the body cannot cool itself because the humidity prevents sweat from evaporating, whereas in the arid desert air the moisture quickly leaves the body and must be replaced.
But ew. I did not know you could drink urine—or if I did, I managed to forget. 

I do remember hanging sheets on the clothesline when it was 110°F with less than 20% humidity, and that by the time I hung the last sheet, I was already able to take down the first sheet dry, as smooth as if it had been ironed. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Now I’m wondering if those who appreciated the long scenes in the desert tend to also be those who have lived in the desert. Although I’ve been living 2 miles from Lake Michigan for 20 years, I also lived in the high mountain desert for 15 years, and I did like the desert scenes. Perhaps it’s not possible to relate to those scenes if, for example, the only extreme heat one has experienced is a humid heat in which one can die because the body cannot cool itself because the humidity prevents sweat from evaporating, whereas in the arid desert air the moisture quickly leaves the body and must be replaced.

I do remember hanging sheets on the clothesline when it was 110°F with less than 20% humidity, and that by the time I hung the last sheet, I was already able to take down the first sheet dry, as smooth as if it had been ironed. 

I have never lived in the desert (lifelong NYC resident), but I have visited Arizona, Southern California and Nevada numerous times. I do like the desert landscape. I recall the surprise of having a swimsuit dry immediately upon my getting out of the pool at a Las Vegas hotel in midsummer. I recall being handed bottles of water everywhere in Phoenix (e.g., at a car rental counter), even in cooler months.  I’d think one would learn to travel with extra water when you live in such places. But Saul is a bit reckless. 

Count me among those who loved the episode. It was a bottle episode, pun intended, and even though we knew they’d live, it was staged so suspensefully and revealed so much, it was epic. 

If we ever get to travel again, I’d love to see New Mexico. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I haven't lived in the desert per se, but I have lived a number of places where it's dry and very hot. Plus I've driven through a number of deserts when I was a kid in a car w/o air conditioning. I don't like desert landscape at all (except for some rock formations), but Saul and Mike's experience is one of my nightmares. So I found it compelling.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

Ah, people wandering in the desert. Perfectly timed for Passover. 

And 40 years until the next season airs.

8 hours ago, GussieK said:

Count me among those who loved the episode. It was a bottle episode, pun intended, and even though we knew they’d live, it was staged so suspensefully and revealed so much, it was epic. 

It's the reactions of the characters that I liked about this episode.  Jimmy turning down the space blanket, Kim going to see Lalo, Mike telling Jimmy why he does what he does.  Culminating in Jimmy putting himself in front of a speeding car and drinking urine.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 4/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, Clanstarling said:

And I didn't care for Fly at all, despite loving BB in general. Mileage varies, which is part of the fun of the forum. 🙂

Same here. I've watched the whole BB series at least four times with the exception of The Fly, which I managed only once and only after my daughter insisted I had to see it. In contrast, I really enjoyed Bagman. I loved the BBness of it.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I never lived in the desert but I did appreciate the episode.  I didn't love it but I did like it and was surprised how close to the end it was when I looked at the clock the first time. 

We watch it the next day, so we don't start or stop at a particular time. So I find that I'm always surprised when the show ends. It ends in strange places, but mostly I think that I'm just thoroughly engaged.

• Love 3

A newer dynamic will be in full force after this ep:  Lalo and Mike.  Depending on how it is written, we could have a crackling confrontation.  I loved Lalo's intense curiosity about Mike earlier his season.  Will Lalo figure out it was Mike who saved his bail cash?  Will he be told explicitly to help sell that Gus is OK with him?  

Watching Tony Dalton process information and then react has been a real joy of this season.  We could be in for some classic takes as Mike is making Lalo's head spin.  Will poor Nacho be hounded for more intel on Mike by Lalo?  This is all good.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

A newer dynamic will be in full force after this ep:  Lalo and Mike.  Depending on how it is written, we could have a crackling confrontation.  I loved Lalo's intense curiosity about Mike earlier his season.  Will Lalo figure out it was Mike who saved his bail cash?  Will he be told explicitly to help sell that Gus is OK with him?  

Watching Tony Dalton process information and then react has been a real joy of this season.  We could be in for some classic takes as Mike is making Lalo's head spin.  Will poor Nacho be hounded for more intel on Mike by Lalo?  This is all good.

I like watching Lalo, too. He’s a different sort of villain than Gus— so it’s interesting to see how things will play out between the two factions.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

😂

7 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

And 40 years until the next season airs.

Most of the cast could probably pull it off, but I’m sensing complaints about Kaylee. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Most of the cast could probably pull it off, but I’m sensing complaints about Kaylee. 

Season 1 episode one aired on February 8, 2015. Time in real life for 5 seasons a little over 5 years. Episodes aired in 2015, 2016,2017, 2018, 2020, skipping 2019. Each break between seasons are a little longer than the season before. 12 months, 14 months, 16 months, 18 months. Following the same pattern the next break should be 20 months, so around Late October, Early November 2022. The show should end in early 2023.

So real world the show has been on 5 years but in the show around 2 years have passed. Children grow up so fast. If the show lasted for 10 seasons and they used the same actor for Kaylee she'd be about 30 years old in her first year in high school. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, scenario said:

Season 1 episode one aired on February 8, 2015. Time in real life for 5 seasons a little over 5 years. Episodes aired in 2015, 2016,2017, 2018, 2020, skipping 2019. Each break between seasons are a little longer than the season before. 12 months, 14 months, 16 months, 18 months. Following the same pattern the next break should be 20 months, so around Late October, Early November 2022. The show should end in early 2023.

So real world the show has been on 5 years but in the show around 2 years have passed. Children grow up so fast. If the show lasted for 10 seasons and they used the same actor for Kaylee she'd be about 30 years old in her first year in high school. 

Oh I was just trying to make a joke based on the speculation that it might be 40 years until the next season 🙂  And the issues that have already been discussed concerning Kaylee’s age. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/8/2020 at 6:09 PM, scenario said:

Thought about it some more. Mike is usually very thorough.  He had a highly placed informant. Weeks ago he asked where all of the drop spots were and he checked them out. 

Saul was told the drop spot and went to it the next morning so there was close to a full day between the scene in the Jail with Saul and Lalo and the scene with Saul and the cousins. 

Mike found out out about that Saul was doing the drop late that night after all the local stores had closed. He's went to the drop spot to make sure that Saul doesn't steal the money, mostly. Saul had told Mike in season one that if he ever had a chance to steal a large amount of money in the future he wouldn't hesitate. (The family hiding in the tent's money, can't remember their names.) He grabbed whatever water he had at the house and his guns.  He got to the drop site very, very early. 

He checked out the actual drop site but no where to hide his car so he backtracked to a good spot. He hid his car and climbed up to a good observation spot and waited. Hours pass. He's careful with the water but he drinks most of it up. Saul goes by. The cousins go by. Then the bad guys show up and hide their cars. They chose the same spot as Mike did because it's the closest place to the drop where they could hide their cars from the cousins.  He sees them set up the ambush so he gets into place. The cousins drive by and the bad guys let them go.  Once the cousins are out of sight they drive their cars out of hiding but not where Saul could see them and wait.

Then Saul drives up and falls into the trap and Mike is waiting. They didn't show the setup because they didn't want to ruin the suspense. 

Overall makes sense.

How do you hide cars in the desert though?

On 4/8/2020 at 9:06 PM, Dev F said:

Kaylee mimicked her pop-pop cheering "Go, Eagles! Kick ass!" after he talked to her about watching the Super Bowl together, but it's not possible for the current year to be 2005, because it was early 2004 at the end of last season (per the end date of Jimmy's PPD), and an entire year definitely hasn't passed since then.

In fact, at the time of that conversation between Mike and Kaylee, the two tweaker idiots were still in the middle of their two-week crime spree in reaction to Jimmy's 50% off sale, which he initiated immediately after getting his bar license reinstated at the end of his PPD. And the librarian who witnessed the TravelWire murder at the end of last season is said to have amended her statement "two months" after the crime just before Lalo got arrested, so there's not really any room for much time at all to have passed off screen.

It's possible that the Eagles reference was in error -- say, a writer's assistant tried to look up who won the Super Bowl in 2004 and instead found out who won the Super Bowl at the end of the 2004 football season. But the obvious in-story explanation is that Kaylee was just quoting what she most often hears Pop-Pop saying when he watches football, not necessarily who he was cheering on in that particular Super Bowl. (And the Eagles were in the NFC Championship that year, so there was ample opportunity for her to hear Mike cheering them on.)

Good explanation.

It just seemed like if Pop Pop mentioned watching the SuperBowl together, it would have had the Eagles in it.  Not sure if Kaylee would have bee interested if the Eagles weren't in it.  But maybe she could have still wanted to watch the 2004 SuperBowl (which didn't have the Eagles), because Pop Pop was watching.

10 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

Overall makes sense.

How do you hide cars in the desert though?

The spot with the ambush was hilly. There was some high ground there.  Pull off the road a little ways behind something. Further down the road near the drop site the ground was much flatter. The car would really stick out there.  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

Good explanation.

It just seemed like if Pop Pop mentioned watching the SuperBowl together, it would have had the Eagles in it.  Not sure if Kaylee would have bee interested if the Eagles weren't in it.  But maybe she could have still wanted to watch the 2004 SuperBowl (which didn't have the Eagles), because Pop Pop was watching.

Pop could have had a little three person family Superbowl party with pizza and snack food. She got to stay up a little late that night so she remembers it. But that wasn't the only game she watched with him. She watched football with him whenever he was over on a Sunday during the season and she remembered when he said a naughty word in front of her. 

1 minute ago, scenario said:

Pop could have had a little three person family Superbowl party with pizza and snack food. She got to stay up a little late that night so she remembers it. But that wasn't the only game she watched with him. She watched football with him whenever he was over on a Sunday during the season and she remembered when he said a naughty word in front of her. 

Do we know if Sundays were a real day for Mike with Kaylee?

I thought it was Thursdays, from the 2nd episode this season?

Or could it have been both?

Why did Mike or Gus even think that someone would try to steal the money from Jimmy?

Don Eladio wouldn't have told Gus of those plans.

So why would Mike expect people to steal from Jimmy?  He said he was expecting them, just not that many.  

On 4/13/2020 at 11:10 PM, scenario said:

The spot with the ambush was hilly. There was some high ground there.  Pull off the road a little ways behind something. Further down the road near the drop site the ground was much flatter. The car would really stick out there.  

I just looked at the scene again, before the ambush started.

It looks like they went from the top of the hill, do a lower part.

I still don't see where Mike could hide his car, without the ambushers noticing.

If Mike hid his car on the high part, then they would have noticed it then, before getting to the low part.

If he hid it on the low part, it would still be noticeable.

A person can hide, but not sure about a car.

On 4/14/2020 at 2:16 AM, nuraman00 said:

Do we know if Sundays were a real day for Mike with Kaylee?

I thought it was Thursdays, from the 2nd episode this season?

Or could it have been both?

I got the impression that Mike was the go to babysitter. Or maybe one of them. It doesn't seem that out of place that he'd go over for a Sunday dinner and Kaylee's mom would pop out for a while while Mike and Kaylee watched the game together. It's just a guess but I just know that kids really remember that kind of stuff. 

35 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

I just looked at the scene again, before the ambush started.

It looks like they went from the top of the hill, do a lower part.

I still don't see where Mike could hide his car, without the ambushers noticing.

If Mike hid his car on the high part, then they would have noticed it then, before getting to the low part.

If he hid it on the low part, it would still be noticeable.

A person can hide, but not sure about a car.

Hide in plain site. There are lots of abandoned cars in the desert off dirt roads. An abandoned car near the drop site that wasn't there last week would be noticed. An abandoned car a mile down the road wouldn't be anywhere near as noticeable. You just don't want a nice new clean car. You also don't want it parked on the side of the road. Pull it in 50 feet off the road (preferably in tire tracks that were already there or on rocks or hard packed dirt that doesn't leave as obvious a trail) in a place partially hidden from the road. The ambushers didn't know the area. What's one more abandoned old car. The risk was the cousins noticing it. 

Lalo didn't notice the car in the ditch driving in. He had to actively look for it. An old wreck in the desert is just part of the scenery. It's different right near the drop site where people are expecting trouble. 

6 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

Why did Mike or Gus even think that someone would try to steal the money from Jimmy?

Don Eladio wouldn't have told Gus of those plans.

So why would Mike expect people to steal from Jimmy?  He said he was expecting them, just not that many.  

Don Eladio didn't tell Gus, Nacho did. Nacho is Lalo's second in command. He's probably the one who set up the drop in the first place. Mike probably knew about the drop before Saul did. 

I think one of the things that makes this episode sloppy in a way is that the writers didn't want anyone to know for sure it was Mike saving Saul. So they couldn't show how or when Mike found out about the drop. They couldn't show Mike moving to change position to get a better shot. They couldn't show where his car was parked. 

I wasn't sure who it was at first. I thought it might be the cousins saving Saul in some sort of set up. 

4 hours ago, scenario said:

Don Eladio didn't tell Gus, Nacho did. Nacho is Lalo's second in command. He's probably the one who set up the drop in the first place. Mike probably knew about the drop before Saul did. 

I think one of the things that makes this episode sloppy in a way is that the writers didn't want anyone to know for sure it was Mike saving Saul. So they couldn't show how or when Mike found out about the drop. They couldn't show Mike moving to change position to get a better shot. They couldn't show where his car was parked. 

I wasn't sure who it was at first. I thought it might be the cousins saving Saul in some sort of set up. 

Thanks, you're right.  Nacho had to be the one.

I knew it was Mike as soon as the first ambusher was shot.  He's been shown as the best marksman, and the one with the best stealth hiding. 

He was all ready to use it in 2x10.

Plus, even if he wasn't using a sniper rifle, he's been shown as the best sneak attacker, like when the regalo helado truck was ambushed in 2x09.

So any surprise ambush, I just think of Mike.

Better Call Mike if you want a sneak attack.

5 hours ago, scenario said:

Hide in plain site. There are lots of abandoned cars in the desert off dirt roads. An abandoned car near the drop site that wasn't there last week would be noticed. An abandoned car a mile down the road wouldn't be anywhere near as noticeable. You just don't want a nice new clean car. You also don't want it parked on the side of the road. Pull it in 50 feet off the road (preferably in tire tracks that were already there or on rocks or hard packed dirt that doesn't leave as obvious a trail) in a place partially hidden from the road. The ambushers didn't know the area. What's one more abandoned old car. The risk was the cousins noticing it. 

Lalo didn't notice the car in the ditch driving in. He had to actively look for it. An old wreck in the desert is just part of the scenery. It's different right near the drop site where people are expecting trouble. 

Are there abandoned cars in the desert?  Is that a common thing?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

Thanks, you're right.  Nacho had to be the one.

I knew it was Mike as soon as the first ambusher was shot.  He's been shown as the best marksman, and the one with the best stealth hiding. 

He was all ready to use it in 2x10.

Plus, even if he wasn't using a sniper rifle, he's been shown as the best sneak attacker, like when the regalo helado truck was ambushed in 2x09.

So any surprise ambush, I just think of Mike.

Better Call Mike if you want a sneak attack.

Are there abandoned cars in the desert?  Is that a common thing?

I haven't been to New Mexico in 20 years but I remember seeing lots of abandoned cars in the desert. If an old car breaks down 30 miles from nowhere it can cost you more to tow it than its worth. I'm sure its illegal but the cops don't often drive down dirt roads and get out of their cars to check vin numbers without reasons. 

• Love 2

I’m a fan, but, late to the season. Only able to catch episodes 6, 7 and 8. Can someone tell me why Mike set it up so Lalo would get arrested and then ensure that he would get out of jail? Did he want the bail money from the beginning? Tks. I’m trying to sprint through and catch up by tomorrow.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m a fan, but, late to the season. Only able to catch episodes 6, 7 and 8. Can someone tell me why Mike set it up so Lalo would get arrested and then ensure that he would get out of jail? Did he want the bail money from the beginning? Tks. I’m trying to sprint through and catch up by tomorrow.

he wants Lalo to flee to mexico, so he can be killed there. If he's killed north of the border then Gus will be immediately blamed for it.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Just to add a little bit of information--the initial plan was to get Lalo arrested and in jail hoping that jail would reduce his influence.  Mike and Gus found out he was still calling the shots, even from jail.  The next step was a need to kill him but they couldn't kill him while he was on American soil.  It'd look too suspicious.

They needed him back in Mexico which meant they needed to get him bail.  That's why Mike ended up sabotaging his efforts to get Lalo arrested for murder by weakening the case.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Just to add a little bit of information--the initial plan was to get Lalo arrested and in jail hoping that jail would reduce his influence.  Mike and Gus found out he was still calling the shots, even from jail.  The next step was a need to kill him but they couldn't kill him while he was on American soil.  It'd look too suspicious.

They needed him back in Mexico which meant they needed to get him bail.  That's why Mike ended up sabotaging his efforts to get Lalo arrested for murder by weakening the case.

Ok. Also, why did Guss blow up his own place? He did this preemptively, to prevent Mexican rival from doing it?

Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

Also, why did Guss blow up his own place? He did this preemptively, to prevent Mexican rival from doing it?

He did it to buy some time.  He needed Lalo to think everything was the same.  If he didn't blow up his restaurant, then Nacho might have been exposed as a double agent.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m ticked that I can’t get episodes 1-5 on demand. I have to figure out how to view them.

You can buy them on iTunes for $2.99 each. And maybe Amazon Prime. 

• Love 1

I frankly do not understand why AMC does not allow people to watch these shows on their website.  They are undercutting their own brand for the sake of a few sales, when they could still be generating ad revenue.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

I frankly do not understand why AMC does not allow people to watch these shows on their website.  They are undercutting their own brand for the sake of a few sales, when they could still be generating ad revenue.  

It might not be AMC's call to make. The show is produced by Sony Pictures; AMC just licenses the broadcasting rights. Their license might only allow them to stream the episodes for a certain amount of time, so that Sony can then make more money off people who have to buy the episodes on iTunes and whatnot.

Indeed, if you look at The Walking Dead, a show AMC produces in house, you'll see that the entire current season is available to stream, so it seems likely that they would do the same with Better Call Saul if they could.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Yeah, and they aren't available on Spectrum on demand either. Just recent episodes.   I thought they used to be.....it's been a while.  But, I have Amazon Prime will check.  If not, I'll wait.  Eventually, they'll show up there. But, I'm caught up, so looking forward to tonight!

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, and they aren't available on Spectrum on demand either. Just recent episodes.   I thought they used to be.....it's been a while.  But, I have Amazon Prime will check.  If not, I'll wait.  Eventually, they'll show up there. But, I'm caught up, so looking forward to tonight!

We bought the season on Prime. We cut the cable years ago. It's one of the few shows we buy.

• Love 2

I wonder why AMC doesn't just continue to pay for the rights to the show.  They run plenty of ads on their website portal.  I suppose AMC is just being outbid by Apple and Netflix.  Reminds me that El Camino was direct-to-Netflix.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

I pay for SlingTV, much cheaper than cable, and all of this season's episodes are available on demand.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

I pay for SlingTV, much cheaper than cable, and all of this season's episodes are available on demand.  

I suppose I will have to get that when it's time for Kim Wexler:  Jailhouse Lawyer.

• LOL 2
On 4/6/2020 at 7:21 PM, rhys said:

How those 2 don't know they aren't walking in circles?? Yikes

This isn't Mike's first rodeo.  You keep an eye on the time and the position of the sun.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:59 PM, peeayebee said:

I'm not sure who the guy in the ... cartel warehouse? called. It seems like he called some guys to steal the money, but I wonder if he actually called Gus or one of Gus's guys, which is how Mike came to be protecting Saul and ensuring that the money wasn't stolen. As for who the guys were who ambushed Saul, they could have just come from that warehouse, right? It's just not clear to me. 

Pretty sure he called the bushwhackers. Mike was keeping tabs on Saul using his gas cap tracker.

On 4/6/2020 at 10:08 PM, Bannon said:

I'm pretty sure that Mike is in his early to mid 50s, and Banks is trying to play 20 years younger than he is. He's a great actor, but it can be tough in the action scenes.

No way. That would require too much suspension of disbelief. I'll give you mid-60s, and that's a stretch.

Some old timers are real billy goats out in the elements. Look at Walter Huston's character in Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

• Love 1

This was so painful to watch. I think it's beautifully shot, and I have a friend who lives in New Mexico, who also takes beautiful pictures there, but I am not a fan of the desert. I'm not a fan of being stranded anywhere, but this was like a nightmare, filmed. 

• Love 1