Type keyword(s) to search

Broke - General Discussion

screengem
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Everybody is so nice, even the deadbeat dad is a great guy.

Yes, they wrote it very well.  Javi and the sister showed up as entitled jerks but revealed themselves almost right away to be very different.  That's what makes it a good show, unlike the other show with Fran Drescher, where the broke parents never redeem themselves and continue to act like idiots. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, lb60 said:

I'll miss the show because I really need Jaime Camil on my tv screen on a regular basis. 

Yes, he’s so terrific. I think we will have to seek out the Spanish version of this show (starring Jaime) on DVD. Or maybe it shows up on YouTube. 

• Love 1

Cinco de Mayo

Broke: Episode 11

Description

Description

Jackie secures a liquor sponsor for the Cinco de Mayo party at Mitzy's bar, and Javier is thrilled to be the emcee of the celebration; Jackie gets jealous when she notices Barry flirting with the sponsor representative.

Show: Broke

Air date: June 11, 2020

Even when teaching classes of students from Mexico (migrant families in the Watsonville area), I had to teach them the true significance of cinco de mayo as they thought it was Mexican independence (no, that's Sept. 16th), so it's not just those born and raised in the U.S. who do not understand the day.

I am fascinated watching Pauley as I really think she is not a good actress.  It's like she has to think about what to do with her arms and body during her scenes.  I think this show would have been better with a different lead actress as she kind of brings scenes to a halt.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 6/12/2020 at 2:46 PM, seacliffsal said:

I am fascinated watching Pauley as I really think she is not a good actress.  It's like she has to think about what to do with her arms and body during her scenes.  I think this show would have been better with a different lead actress as she kind of brings scenes to a halt.

I think this show had promise, but, for me, Pauley ruins it.  I find myself watching her and wondering how she can stand having her greasy bangs hanging into her eyes.  Her acting doesn't seem natural, it seems obvious that she is acting.  It is like you can see her thinking "okay, now I make a disgusted face, then after the next line I need to look relieved."  The rest of the cast is great, even the kid, and the stories seemed realistic enough, the lines were funny, and the characters were the same ones you see on most other shows.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, needschocolate said:

I think this show had promise, but, for me, Pauley ruins it.  I find myself watching her and wondering how she can stand having her greasy bangs hanging into her eyes.  Her acting doesn't seem natural, it seems obvious that she is acting.  It is like you can see her thinking "okay, now I make a disgusted face, then after the next line I need to look relieved."  The rest of the cast is great, even the kid, and the stories seemed realistic enough, the lines were funny, and the characters were the same ones you see on most other shows.  

I really like the show, but yes it’s all despite Pauley. You sort of cringe when she is on screen.  She s a fish out of water.  But everyone else is so great I don’t care. I will miss them. It’s like one of my favorite one season wonders, Frank’s Place

• Love 3

Next to last episode

The Test

Broke: Episode 12

Description

Description

Luis' dad, who works for Javier's wealthy father, arrives in town to test how Javier has handled being cut off financially; Elizabeth agrees to help Jackie on a job and runs into her ex-boyfriend.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

Do you think a write in campaign could keep this show alive? 

I really doubt it @GussieK   But who knows.  There have been sitcoms that have been reworked and aired again, only to be canceled the second time.  And there's the Conners. 

A new reworked show with only the Javier and Elizabeth part could work. 

I did find the following link to a petition to save both Broke and Tommy

https://www.change.org/p/cbs-television-save-edie-falco-as-tommy-pauley-perrette-s-brokeBJouIzmYCWAyhqz-800x450-noPad.thumb.jpg.bf30a776b7d1af282817c4e18069f19b.jpg

Broke Series Finale  EP 13  Sammy's Party

CBS said goodbye to the Dixon family (and hello to a surprise guest) on Thursday with the series finale of Pauley Perrette‘s one-and-one comedy Broke.

Jackie began the finale on a high, proud of herself for finally planning the perfect birthday party for her son, whose previous celebrations were basically just a parade of drunk Supermen. (Side note: That actually sounds like my idea of a party, but whatever.)

Sure, reserving the hottest laser tag joint in town cost Jackie a pretty penny — which she earned by selling the creepy puppet that Javier and Elizabeth bought their nephew a year prior — but it was worth the sacrifice just to see him happy. Conversely, it was kind of a bummer when a high-speed car chase ended in a collision with the venue, effectively canceling Sammy’s big day in real time.

Fortunately, Luis revealed himself to be a “NASA-level” party planner, capable of whipping up a Bravo-worthy affair (complete with a flock of origami swans!) in less than an hour. And even though it took less than a minute for a helicopter to blow it all away (more on that later), Sammy still said it was his best birthday ever. We heard it! It’s on record!

Amidst all of this chaos, Javier and Elizabeth were inspired to finally step out on their own. (Well, “inspired” might not be the right word. It was more like a natural response to Jackie’s extreme passive aggression upon discovering an empty box of Twinkies in the kitchen. The unpardonable sin.) Anyway, despite their prospects being embarrassingly grim, the couple decided to apply for something they were assured was, in fact, an apartment.

But after a day of family togetherness, Jackie admitted to having a change of heart. “Maybe Sammy’s not the only one who likes you being here,” she told Elizabeth. “The last six months with you here, things have been easier and way better. And I know this wasn’t going to be permanent, but I just thought maybe it was going to be longer that we were all together.”

Speaking of everyone being together, Sammy’s birthday party was crashed by a most unexpected guest: Javier’s father! Dun, dun, dun!

“This show restored my faith in people, in this industry,” Perrette wrote in an emotional Instagram post shortly after Broke was cancelled in May. “SO GRATEFUL I worked with this cast [and] crew. Best people I’ve EVER worked with. Healed me. Changed me. Made me whole. So Blessed.”broke-series-finale.jpg.0c840bfdb22356dec0d9d733397b5fba.jpg

• Love 2

I don't know how family friendly this episode was as it really used "stealing" as a point of humor.

I think I understand why Pauley often held a super-sized drink on NCIS as she really doesn't seem to know what to do with her hands.

I think this would have been a good cliffhanger if there had been a second season.  I enjoyed most of the plots and most of the actors (Pauley would "take me out" of the scenes quite often) and think the show would have improved and had a stronger second season.  Although this was not "must see" t.v. for me, I generally enjoyed it.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I don't know how family friendly this episode was as it really used "stealing" as a point of humor.

I think I understand why Pauley often held a super-sized drink on NCIS as she really doesn't seem to know what to do with her hands.

I think this would have been a good cliffhanger if there had been a second season.  I enjoyed most of the plots and most of the actors (Pauley would "take me out" of the scenes quite often) and think the show would have improved and had a stronger second season.  Although this was not "must see" t.v. for me, I generally enjoyed it.

I'd never seen Pauley perform before.  I thought she was adorkably awkward - her hair, her clothing, her entire demeanor . . . loved the sister and brother-in-law, and Luis.  Even Sammy was good.  Gonna miss Broke . . . but I'm not sure where they could go with it, storyline-wise.  Maybe Javiar's dad offers him his fortune and he declines? 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

When they said stealing, I was thinking of something much worse. Most of it was borrowing, except for a few snacks (under $20.00) that could easily be replaced by a trip to a big box store.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2