Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S08.E09: In Full Flight

Recommended Posts


Don’t even know where to begin. Carrie plays honeypot, then is taken advantage of?  This episode depended too many times on Carrie having to talk someone into something. She’s so amazing. Then she blows it. Too many preposterous coincidences. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I do wish early commenters wouldn’t give away the plot.

Anyway, Jenna became interesting. Maybe Yevgeny has other surprises in store. The last scene was not necessary (not spoiling here). He could have dealt with the  consequences in other ways.

Share this post


Link to post

I think I speak for Saul when I say FUCK MIKE.

Tasneem has a lot of balls to tell Jalal she'll hunt him down and replace him with someone else when she's standing in his compound unarmed surrounded by his supporters. I was surprised he didn't kill her right then and there.

Oh, Jenna, when will you ever learn? So much for the theory from the beginning of the season that she was a plant. She really is as incompetent and green as she appeared to be from the moment we met her and apparently she hasn't learned anything because Carrie played her when she got her to just hand over the address of the safe house. I'm just glad that it didn't end with the Americans all being shot in the courtyard.

When Carrie climbed out the window, all I could think of was when Rizzo did the same in Grease and Frenchie said, "What's she going to do? Shimmy down the drain pipe?" Yes, that's exactly what she's going to do.

It seems really anticlimactic that after two presidents were killed and war is on the horizon, the helicopter crash was caused by something as mundane as the oil filter.

I have no doubt that Carrie was just playing Yevgeny to get what she wanted. I mean, sure, I wouldn't want to have sex in the back of a pawn shop while I'm actively being hunted, but she was SO OBVIOUS when she said, "Not here. After we get the flight recorder to the American embassy in Islamabad."

Ben continues to be one of the dumbest and most easily manipulated presidents ever. When he looked at Zabel and whined like a child, "But you said Pakistan would back down!" I just rolled my eyes.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo · Reason: typo
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Alistaire said:

I do wish early commenters wouldn’t give away the plot.

Anyway, Jenna became interesting. Maybe Yevgeny has other surprises in store. The last scene was not necessary (not spoiling here). He could have dealt with the  consequences in other ways.

I am curious—do you come here before watching the show? If so, why?

Meh episode. I was mainly wondering if those ladies in burkas were somehow protected from COVID 19 by their veils.

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah that was Carrie's play, to try to sex up Oleg so that he doesn't take over the flight recorder?

Look all she had to do was copy the files off the flight recorder onto her laptop and send that to Saul, the CIA, the POTUS, etc.  Instead she's trying to pack up the red black box and is easily subdued?

Carrie just trashed Jenna's career, probably got those American soldiers arrested or worse in Pakistan.

Um Tasneem, she's a powerful minister in govt. but she goes alone and lets herself be taken hooded to see Jalal who's in her own country?  

And Pakistan would rather roll out tactical nukes to fight Americans rather than take out a bunch of Taliban peasants with rifles?  Yes I can understand Pakistan has greater sympathies to the Taliban than America and Haqqani have served their purposes in the past.

But they'd rather fight Americans than a bunch of goat herders and poppy farmers?

GMAFB!

It's ridiculous, US gives billions in aid to Afghanistan and Pakistan and they're repeatedly telling the US to get bent.

When US Special Forces went into Pakistan and took out Osama Bin Laden, the Pakistanis weren't happy about it but they didn't do anything after the fact.  Now if they had captured the Special Forces soldiers it might have been a sticky situation.  But Pakistan knows where their bread is buttered.  They can't tell US to get lost with the foreign aid nor risk driving the US and India closer together.

Homeland writers apparently think viewers are ignorant of global politics.

Why didn't they make up fake countries if they were going to make up completely fictitious real politik?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, nara said:

I am curious—do you come here before watching the show? If so, why?

Meh episode. I was mainly wondering if those ladies in burkas were somehow protected from COVID 19 by their veils.

 

I think there is no rule on spoilers once the episode is aired.  If I'm awake I typically watch at midnight Sunday because Showtime Anytime airs it then. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, scrb said:

Look all she had to do was copy the files off the flight recorder onto her laptop and send that to Saul, the CIA, the POTUS, etc.  Instead she's trying to pack up the red black box and is easily subdued?

THIS↑ Such a simple process.

Did she really expect to carry the black (orange) box back to the USA.

Also how and where did she get that very odd looking cable that she used to connect her laptop to the black (orange) box. Does every agent have one of those or was it delivered by the GEEK SQUAD before she "shimmied down the drain pipe."

Edited by preeya
  • Like 12
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, preeya said:

THIS↑ Such a simple process.

Did she really expect to carry the black (orange) box back to the USA.

Also how and where did she get that very odd looking cable that she used to connect her laptop to the black (orange) box. Does every agent have one of those or was it delivered by the GEEK SQUAD before she "shimmied down the drain pipe."

Maybe they need the actual box to verify they aren’t sending a doctored recording?

I was wondering what the Russian was getting out of this.  Still wondering why russia would want it and why Carrie wouldn’t have been more suspicious of a Russian spy.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Maybe they need the actual box to verify they aren’t sending a doctored recording?

I was wondering what the Russian was getting out of this.  Still wondering why Russia would want it and why Carrie wouldn’t have been more suspicious of a Russian spy.  

The Russian - he was getting laid.  Russia - I don't know and haven't yet figured it out.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Cuz Russia wants to see US have some big war, get mired in Afghanistan indefinitely like the USSR did?

Who knows, they might as well have faked all the country names, because the way the agents of these countries act has little relation to the real world countries.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

23 hours ago, Alistaire said:

I do wish early commenters wouldn’t give away the plot.

 

12 hours ago, GussieK said:

I think there is no rule on spoilers once the episode is aired.  If I'm awake I typically watch at midnight Sunday because Showtime Anytime airs it then. 

Once an episode has been officially released, it is up for discussion and no spoiler tags are required. Showtime releases a lot of its shows at midnight so you can discuss the episode any time after that without any spoiler tags. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

As the series is nearing the end, I think an interesting ending would be the idiot President is on the verge of ordering nuking Pakistan and won't listen to reason. And Saul shoots him, to save hundreds of thousands of lives.

Do we know who his veep is, who would then assume power? It would be funny then if that prez had picked Elizabeth Keane for his veep -- maybe she became hugely popular because of a sympathy backlash after her resignation and so Hayes picked her for a sign of unity in troubled times.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ugh. Carrie's magic vagina strikes again! ...but wait Yvgeny is not falling for it! Ahh, but he's gonna let her live with a sweet kiss to the forehead. I guess he really did (of course) fall in love with her while she was having a psychotic break in the Russian prison with really bad hair. 

At least I don't have to endure a scene where she triumphantly marches the black box into the Oval Office and dumps it on the President's desk.   

I think her being ostracised by the agency she sacrificed her many other lives to would be a fitting ending. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, preeya said:

Look all she had to do was copy the files off the flight recorder onto her laptop and send that to Saul, the CIA, the POTUS, etc.  Instead she's trying to pack up the red black box and is easily subdued?

If she's already accessing the data by listening to the conversation of the pilots, her computer is already reading that data and could easily have stored it or sent it (We know she has an internet connection because that's how the "dark web" payment got done). Whether she could have sent all the data quickly enough before things went south, who knows. But she didn't even try! 

12 hours ago, Lemons said:

I was wondering what the Russian was getting out of this.  Still wondering why russia would want it and why Carrie wouldn’t have been more suspicious of a Russian spy

Russia would want the black box data (as would every intelligence agency of any regional or world power - as Carrie aptly noted) because, well, to use a cliche, knowledge is power. If Russia wanted to cause turmoil in the US - hard to imagine, right? - Russia could use this information to tar the US as an imperial buffoon for going after Pakistan when Pakistan was not responsible for harboring any terrorist who shot down the copter. If nothing else, this information would allow Russia to get its hooks far more deeply into Pakistan and then do who knows what.

Carrie was suspicious of the Russian spy enough not to tell him about the midnight meeting and sneak out to be there. Why she trusted him to the degree she did, yet still dribbled out the information she did when she did, well those are still curious choices.

Edited by ahpny
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Isn’t amazing how the cell phone service always works so well , and the internet service?  Plus the cell phones are always charged up. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe Oleg hypnotized Carrie during her psychotic lockdown, so every time she heard a *ping* or something she spills her secrets.  (Kinda like in the old movie Naked Gun when the 2nd baseman heard the designated sound and it triggered him "I must kill the Queen, I must kill the Queen")

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

46 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Isn’t amazing how the cell phone service always works so well , and the internet service?  Plus the cell phones are always charged up. 

And the conversation continues without anyone ever saying "what did you say?" or "I can't hear you" from 10,000 miles away. 

The magic of television.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

Isn’t amazing how the cell phone service always works so well , and the internet service?  Plus the cell phones are always charged up. 

Actually I think Carrie has a satellite phone.

Which probably eats battery like crazy.

She must have packed a charger with the right plug for Pakistan.  She may need one for Russia too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh well, that ending is predictable. It's disappointing that over the course of this series that Carrie has used her sexuality as a weapon. It would have been a nice characteristic if a show doesn't treat a woman in national intelligence that way.

Quote

Look all she had to do was copy the files off the flight recorder onto her laptop and send that to Saul, 

My husband was yelling at the screen: "Email it now! Email it now!"

15 hours ago, scrb said:

Cuz Russia wants to see US have some big war, get mired in Afghanistan indefinitely like the USSR did?

This is what we think of as well. If US gets ahold of the word that there was no nefarious activity on the helicopter crash, then there would probably be no war on Pakistan and Jalal's claim to power can easily be brought down. I remember a couple of episodes ago or so when Yevgeny told Carrie "You bomb their churches, we build it back. That's what we do. That's why I can work with a lot of people here." So I think Russia wants that standing in which they can be seen as an "ally" to parties being perceived to be attacked by the US.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Oh well, that ending is predictable. It's disappointing that over the course of this series that Carrie has used her sexuality as a weapon. It would have been a nice characteristic if a show doesn't treat a woman in national intelligence that way.

My husband was yelling at the screen: "Email it now! Email it now!"

 

I would love to know the answer to this.  Using sexuality was a big part of The Americans. That's how they were trained.  I do not know enough about how American spies work to exclude that it would also be SOP.  I tend to think that Carrie was always working off book but she was never punished for it.  There may be tacit approval from handlers.

Share this post


Link to post

I've been a loyal watcher since this show started, but I found this episode unwatchable (except for Costa/Yesgeny, sorry).  I think I'm just sick of Carrie how she's so much smarter than everyone else, so good at her job except when the plot requires some massive stupidity to move it along - like in this episode, upload the data from the flight recorder if it was that important! Or earlier, when the soldiers were at the crash site, they should have grabbed the flight recorder first thing, not leave it to the last minute for Max to get.

I know this is probably a realistic depiction of a bipolar person in a high stress job, but I am tired of her relentless focus and unbounded willingness to use everybody in every way to accomplish what she wants.  I'm tired of her.

I love Saul (acting and writing), but really, I'm not in the mood to see him sidelined and powerless. 

Sorry, show, I'll try to stick it out, I guess, but maybe I'll just read recaps or something.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I assume at some point we're going to be let in on why the Russians are the heavys for this along with the radicals.

Why do they make all the women stupid? I mean, seriously.

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Ugh. Carrie's magic vagina strikes again! ...but wait Yvgeny is not falling for it! Ahh, but he's gonna let her live with a sweet kiss to the forehead. I guess he really did (of course) fall in love with her while she was having a psychotic break in the Russian prison with really bad hair. 

At least I don't have to endure a scene where she triumphantly marches the black box into the Oval Office and dumps it on the President's desk.   

I think her being ostracised by the agency she sacrificed her many other lives to would be a fitting ending. 

I am not sure it ever struck in the first place. I commented last season with speculation that she slept with the sympathetic guard and Yevgeny let her do it just to show her that her usual charms wouldn't work on his guys. They seem to have extended that into her relationship with him. "We weren't just walking in the woods, were we?" Well, we've already seen on this show that going manic causes Carrie bouts of intense arousal and Russia basically invented the honey trap so yes, I am sure there was more wood involved than just the birch trees. I don't think Yevgeny is in love with her though. That kiss on the forehead was more of a "thank you for being the gift that just keeps on giving!"

Carrie did use some subtle (to the audience but not to Yevgeny) tradecraft though. She was leaning in closer to his personal space, letting those awkward sexually tense moments hang in the air, agreeing that she'd knock on Yevgeny's door in the middle of the night if she "needed anything". If she had been using this on a sexually repressed Pakistani teenager it would have worked spectacularly. But Yevgeny is all "I started this honey trap shit... and this black box is the thanks I get." As long as he keeps it gangsta he's going to hand the CIA their asses.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Even bough Evgeny is evil, I kind of like him. Carrie is Carrie, love her or hate her, she gets shit done. All that I need to end this season is spineless prez getting his ass handed to him. And please let Jalal get exposed as a fraud.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

I am sure there was more wood involved than just the birch trees.

I am going to steal this phrase and find a way to use it in a casual conversation.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I've been binging as FiOS is offering Showtime free in April (due to pandemic). Usually I have to wait awhile to watch the latest season.

The middle episodes were fantastic and kept me up late into the night.

Too bad the writers felt they had to try to make a great show better, using obvious and implausible events to sustain our interest. That's not great script writing, that's cheap tricks.

Saul is one of my favorite TV characters ever, specifically as played by MP.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, GussieK said:

I tend to think that Carrie was always working off book but she was never punished for it.  There may be tacit approval from handlers.

One of the more memorable scenes for me the entire series was when Carrie and Brody were having sex in the cabin, and Saul and Quinn were listening in on it. Saul had that pained look in his face, probably thinking, "Not again, Carrie, not again..." while Quinn turned up the volume even more so as to fuck with Saul. 

And in Season 1, it was clear that Carrie had an affair with the CIA director that time, the black guy, from my memory. So, I think what Carrie does regarding sexual relations with men are totally off the books and not some SOP.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I knew the way Carrie was looking at Yevgeny that they were going to end up making out by the end of this episode, for one reason or another. But I guess he really did fall for her while she was a prisoner? It's hard to see what about her having a psychotic breakdown would have made her so attractive during that time. Even if he thought seducing her would get her to spill whatever secrets she had, he seems to genuinely like her. I still want an episode that gives us a real flashback of what happened then.

Unless he was playing her this entire time, but I kinda don't think so. Guys always end up inexplicably falling for Carrie no matter what state she's in. He'll probably help her out one last time by the end.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, once Carrie started confessing to Yevgeny she just couldn't stop. Did he trigger her with a keyword or something?

And Jenna got fooled again. Useful idiot.

OMG, Stevie Wonder could see Yevgeny was working Carrie, especially with all those faces he kept pulling. She actually tried to honey pot him. On an IOU. 🙄

I hope at least Carrie gets to kill Yevgeny before the show ends. She has to break his psychological hold on her or she'll lose what's left of her mind.

Quote

Look all she had to do was copy the files off the flight recorder onto her laptop and send that to Saul, the CIA, the POTUS, etc.  Instead she's trying to pack up the red black box and is easily subdued?

Over on reddit someone speculated that perhaps her laptop did copy the files and automatically backed up to the cloud but I'm wondering how secure or fast that process would be. Plus if Yevgeny now has her laptop he has access to her cloud space, no? I think Carrie's plan was stunningly low tech and fraught with huge potential potholes. Max died for nothing and Carrie handed over a cool million for the privilege of making sure he died for nothing.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/7/2020 at 12:42 PM, pasdetrois said:

I've been binging as FiOS is offering Showtime free in April (due to pandemic). Usually I have to wait awhile to watch the latest season.

The middle episodes were fantastic and kept me up late into the night.

Too bad the writers felt they had to try to make a great show better, using obvious and implausible events to sustain our interest. That's not great script writing, that's cheap tricks.

Saul is one of my favorite TV characters ever, specifically as played by MP.

I love Mandy Patinkin. After this, I'll probably watch "Dead Like Me" again. 

Share this post


Link to post

I said last week that Yevgeny was being far too helpful, so I'm glad he was playing Carrie all along. And Carrie - don't apologise for (trying to) keep your real plan from him - he's works for Russia and you have no reason to believe he'd betray them.

Of course, she wasn't the only American being portrayed as an idiot. Jenna had no reason to trust Carrie but did so anyway. Saul seemed completely surprised that the VP (who he's presumably had some encounters with) was advocating a new policy in Pakistan (however ill advised) when he's from a different party from his predecessor. And President Flip-Flop was surprised the Pakistanis pushed back at him? Tell me why the late President Warner was worried about his VP running against him - he'd sweep 50 states!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/5/2020 at 4:23 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It seems really anticlimactic that after two presidents were killed and war is on the horizon, the helicopter crash was caused by something as mundane as the oil filter.

I think it's good to have a different interpretation than the usual one. No doubt it was one more proof of the new president's utter stupidity. 

As Saul said, intelligence information must be analysed. Stalin wanted to do it himself and we know how he failed.   

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/13/2020 at 12:35 AM, John Potts said:

And President Flip-Flop was surprised the Pakistanis pushed back at him? 

He believes any scrap his new adviser says to him. He has no undestanding for complicated issues and uncertainties. 

Share this post


Link to post

On 4/6/2020 at 10:31 PM, slowpoked said:

If US gets ahold of the word that there was no nefarious activity on the helicopter crash, then there would probably be no war on Pakistan and Jalal's claim to power can easily be brought down. I remember a couple of episodes ago or so when Yevgeny told Carrie "You bomb their churches, we build it back. That's what we do. That's why I can work with a lot of people here." So I think Russia wants that standing in which they can be seen as an "ally" to parties being perceived to be attacked by the US.

I doubt that if the new president had learned about the truth, he wouldn't have revealed it. He wants war because he believes that he wins it and then he becomes a national hero.

Remembering how Yevgeni used disinformation during the last season, I suspect that he sends the black box to Wikileaks in order to show how the US president lies.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/5/2020 at 9:04 PM, scrb said:

And Pakistan would rather roll out tactical nukes to fight Americans rather than take out a bunch of Taliban peasants with rifles?  Yes I can understand Pakistan has greater sympathies to the Taliban than America and Haqqani have served their purposes in the past.

But they'd rather fight Americans than a bunch of goat herders and poppy farmers?

GMAFB!

It's ridiculous, US gives billions in aid to Afghanistan and Pakistan and they're repeatedly telling the US to get bent.

When US Special Forces went into Pakistan and took out Osama Bin Laden, the Pakistanis weren't happy about it but they didn't do anything after the fact.  Now if they had captured the Special Forces soldiers it might have been a sticky situation.  But Pakistan knows where their bread is buttered.  They can't tell US to get lost with the foreign aid nor risk driving the US and India closer together.

I think that it's an important truth in the general level: people don't live on bread (or butter) alone. They need also to be treated with respect.

  

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size