Type keyword(s) to search

Killing Eve in the Media

• Start Topic

I wonder if Villanelle's religiosity (as shown in the trailer) will be a *real* plot point or just more of a gag to kick off the season the way her wedding did last season. I'm not sure which would be worse -- a quick gag or a real, multi-episode religious experience. For some reason the latter does not interest me. 

On 6/24/2021 at 7:55 PM, Cranberry said:

Really hoping this is either fake or misrepresented: Killing Eve's Villanelle will become a born-again Christian in final series

On 6/25/2021 at 10:25 AM, MicheleinPhilly said:

This is laughably ridiculous. But then again, so is The Daily Mirror. 😉

In all seriousness I can't imagine a show "insider" would leak ANY details about any upcoming storylines so I will take this with an entire shaker of salt. 

I may have egg on my face in a few weeks based on what's in the trailer. 😂

Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer Lay ‘Killing Eve’ to Rest

Across four seasons, the bodies mounted as their characters’ mutual obsession deepened. But like all relationships, this one, too, had to come to an end.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/22/arts/television/killing-eve-final-season-sandra-oh-jodie-comer.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Television

Lovely little interview with Oh and Comer. There is a detail mentioned that made me EXTREMELY happy:

Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer locked eyes across a fish tank. Illuminated in the blue glow of bubbling water and artificial light, the two women slowly registered each other with puzzlement, hostility and abject longing. Across three seasons of “Killing Eve,” the two actresses and the show’s creative team have worked to master the complex bond between their two characters, and there it was, distilled in a single “Romeo + Juliet”-inspired moment.

And then a wayward fish ruined the shot.

“Dude!” Oh exclaimed, still exasperated months later. The fish, which show up in the first episode of the show’s fourth and final season, were exceedingly “difficult,” Comer explained, laughing.

While I love this show desperately, the constant wait for them to end up in one another's orbit in each season has always frustrated the crap out of me. 

• Love 1
On 2/22/2022 at 12:59 PM, MicheleinPhilly said:

While I love this show desperately, the constant wait for them to end up in one another's orbit in each season has always frustrated the crap out of me. 

You'll love this one too, then:

Plus, we get Oh and Comer to name their favorite Eve-and-Villanelle scenes so far. They list off some of our favorites: the Season 3 slow dance, the shepherd’s pie dinner, the one “when you stab me, strangely,” Comer notes. But “there are some great ones from this season, though,” she teases. “There are a lot of firsts in this season for the audience to see with these two women together… so you might have to redo your list after this season.” 

• Love 1

https://lithub.com/its-an-honor-just-to-be-asian-sandra-oh-on-systemic-racism-in-hollywood/

A really lovely excerpt from a forthcoming book about Asians in pop culture. 

It’s an Honor Just to Be Asian: Sandra Oh on Systemic Racism in Hollywood

“For the first time, I’m finally getting film roles where my character’s name is Korean.”

Excerpted from Rise: A Pop History of Asian America from the Nineties to Now by Jeff Yang, Phil Yu, and Philip Wang. Used with permission of the publisher. Copyright © 2022. Reprinted by permission of Harper.

• Love 1

She's promoting both.  Just as you linked.  I've seen her on several shows and she's always promoting both simultaneously.  Not sure why you have a problem with her promoting "Turning Red" since she's quite a big part of it.  And it's not just "a cartoon" it's a Pixar movie and it's Asian-Canadian just like she is.  A pretty big deal.

• Love 3

Yes, in the U.S. and Canada episodes 7 and 8, the series finale will be airing back-to-back tonight on BBC America (at least where I live, U.S. Central time 7 to 9 p.m.).    The producers announced that there will be a prequel of Carolyn in her beginning spy years filmed.   There are also viewer calls for a Season 5 or a movie. 

Ok, this cracked me up...there is a change.org petition to have Laura Neal arrested "to hbe held accountable for her crimes against humanity" which really just made me lol.

Edited by Hiyo
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Unless the interviews are with Sandra and/or Jodie, I'm just going to avoid them like Covid.

I have my own reads/interpretations on the entire series and am really over reading writers/showrunners trying to justify criticism. Was it a perfect season? Of course not. Was it the worst thing to ever cross the airwaves? Not even close. But I'd rather hash it out with you folks. 🙂

• Useful 1

A panel discussion from Variety that escaped my notice when it aired. Centered primarily on the events in the season premiere but Sandra does confirm that the show had a specific trajectory. When the pandemic hit, it required them to pivot. I'll always be curious what that intended trajectory was/if they intended to go for more seasons. 

https://variety.com/video/sandra-oh-jodie-comer-killing-eve-final-season-premiere/

• Love 1

I know many people on Twitter are angry - thousands of people have signed that petition about Laura Neal, etc. - but it's actually become consensus on Wikipedia that the finale was hated.  Pretty funny.

The series finale aired on 10 April 2022, receiving a great deal of backlash from its fanbase[89] and consequently was quickly ranked on worst TV finale lists.[90]

Articles linked as reference:

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/a39699816/killing-eve-finale-backlash/

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/worst-tv-finales-ever-list-b2057903.html

• Useful 1

Nobody actually thinks that an online petition will actually send Laura Neal to jail.  But the fans want a way to show their sadness grief and anger nonetheless.  Considering it has made the news this much and is now documented in this way I think they have made their voices heard.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 4/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Nobody actually thinks that an online petition will actually send Laura Neal to jail.  

Wait, is that what the petition is actually calling for? 🤣

I love the passion in tv fandom but I've seen some ugly memes and hastags referring to Laura Neal as a homophobe which IMO is crossing the line. I know people are very upset but I think that type of talk is dangerous. I know, I know, people are very fired up and speaking from an emotional place, but there is enough very dangerous homophobia in the world, I don't appreciate people using it in the context of disappointment over a tv show. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I think if you read the reasonings online, people have some very good points.  There is not that much gay representation in the media and when lesbians are

Spoiler

constantly killed on TV after experiencing happiness with someone

, people are going to draw conclusions.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think if you read the reasonings online, people have some very good points.  There is not that much gay representation in the media and when lesbians are

Hide contents

constantly killed on TV after experiencing happiness with someone

, people are going to draw conclusions.

I completely get that and think the points and feelings ABOUT THE SHOW are totally valid. I'm a member of the LGBTQ+ community and know all about lack of representation and shitty endings for characters within our community. 

But just as I would never call a showrunner racist for killing off a black or brown lead, I'm not going to draw the conclusion that a showrunner is homophobic for doing so when I know nothing about them personally. Would they be calling her racist if she had killed off Eve too? I just think it's a slippery slope. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

The writers kept saying that Eve was having "Rebirth" at the end of the show.  (Which is definitely not how Sandra Oh played it.)

And the scene of Eve at the wedding, happy and dancing with people.  I think the writers said that was Eve finding her "true place in life" around other people or whatever.  (Non-killer people.)

So I think that with all of these elements added together, perhaps people felt like the show was trying to kill off the gay parts of Eve?

A lot of people online are more articulate about this stuff, I am just trying my best to remember the points.

Anjelica Jade wrote about the ending of the show for Vulture:

https://www.vulture.com/2022/04/the-ending-of-killing-eve-season-4-explained.html

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Would they be calling her racist if she had killed off Eve too? I just think it's a slippery slope. 

It's an all white writers team.  And many people do make the argument that Sandra Oh was treated with racism.  Anjelica Jade is just one of them.

• Love 1

So I think that with all of these elements added together, perhaps people felt like the show was trying to kill off the gay parts of Eve?

I dunno, maybe be gay...just with someone a little less homicidal?

• Love 1
On 4/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/23/killing-eve-writer-was-originally-signed-up-for-a-season-5-before-ending-16520648/

Killing Eve season 5 was originally meant to happen before plans were ditched: ‘It was a big change’

‘Killing Eve’ writer Kayleigh Llewelyn reportedly said that she was set to work on a planned fifth season of the show before plans were changed and season 4 was set as the final season.

So glad this didn't happen; I might have felt compelled to watch. Nothing much happened in Season 4 as far as I'm concerned. What on earth would they have done for Season 5? I consider the entire The Twelve storyline to be a MacGuffin at this point. It gave the characters a reason to run around while looking cool. Oh, and lest I forget, we got to know Pam. Nondescript, expressionless Pam who took up so much time for reasons of which I'm still unaware.

I hate when I love a show so much and it devolves enough to make me wish I'd never bothered.

• Love 5

Oh said in an interview with Deadline that she recalls telling Season 4 showrunner Laura Neal “you should kill my character," adding "I thought that would be the strongest and the most interesting” ending, according to TVLine. “I felt, emotionally, it was the right place of where I was at," Oh added. But after the pandemic shutdown, Oh said was told that "we can’t do it. We need to change it… Eve needs to live...Eve is the way into this world. She’s our everywoman. So it’s kind of really super depressing if she dies." Oh added that co-star Jodie Comer was on board with the ending that aired.

https://deadline.com/video/sandra-oh-career-interview-killing-eve-greys-anatomy-the-actors-side/

Obviously there will be mixed feelings about this but Jodie and Sandra were both nominated for Lead Actress in a Drama Series. 

I'm pleased that both of them got nominated. I wasn't expecting the show to get any Emmy love this year and am happy that they were both recognized particularly because the KE Instagram account appeared to only be campaigning for Jodie. I know that the IG account is not the "official" campaigning arm for BBC America and AMC but it PISSED me off. 

Kudos to Sandra and Jodie! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1