Type keyword(s) to search

Killing Eve in the Media

• Start Topic

‘Killing Eve’ Team Talks Villanelle’s Most Personal Kill, Upcoming ‘Identity Crisis’ (SPOILERS)

Additionally, meeting and working with Dodina lent itself to how much emotion she wanted to portray in certain moments, notes Comer. “When we shot the scene where I’m trying to escape the house and she comes in and drops her bags, I see her for the first time, and it’s really, really surreal,” she says. “There’s a connection, undoubtedly, and I think it goes unsaid and I think it’s hard to describe, but this is the first time that Villanelle experiences any of this. For me, Villanelle was absolutely born the person that she is, but I think the relationship with her mother is a huge factor in the kind of loss that she’s felt her whole life and this constant sense of belonging that she wants. It was all at the top of the surface for me.”

Just watched the BAFTA Q&A with Sandra, Jodie, Fiona, and Suzanne. Some interesting nuggets: 

Sandra said that Phoebe Waller-Bridge is (naturally) her dream guest star while Fiona said Idris Elba. 🙂

Jodie said that she thinks they still walk away from each other on the bridge even after turning back but that she obviously doesn't know where they will go in series 4. 

Sandra shared a story about the bus scene - Apparently at one point she made actual contact with Jodie during the fight and she squeaked, backed up, and said, "I'm so sorry." They both regretted that it wasn't included in the show because they felt it was very "Eve." 

Fiona stood up naked out of the bath and had hoped they would include it in the episode even if it was blurred. She said that the entire crew basically fell out of their chairs. 

Jodie talked about Villanelle's maturation from series 1 and all agreed that they can't regress to what the characters were previously. 

There was disagreement on whether Villanelle or Dasha would put the baby in the bin because Jodie wanted to do it. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

Interesting interview with Damon Thomas, who directed all three season finales and a handful of other KE episodes. Of particular note, on postproduction:

This time round it’s been harder because of the global pandemic — everything has had to be done remotely from grading to visual effects to rerecording lines. For example, we’ve had to rely on new ways to watch our colorist Gareth Spensley work. He’s been in lockdown like everyone else, working in his apartment. So we’ve had to watch remotely from our own homes whilst feeding notes back over a conference call. We all just adapted and everyone has been amazing, even though it’s taken a little longer. We’ve only just finished Episode 8 today (May 18), and that’s airing May 31.

I wonder if some of these challenges account for some of the sound issues S3 had at times.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Sandra Oh did a GREAT Actors on Actors interview with Kerry Washington for Variety. It's long (over an hour) but it is such a lovely, complex, layered conversation. I would like to petition for all actors to be interviewed by fellow actors instead of vapid entertainment "journalists."

• Love 2

Some things of note that Sandra said pertaining to Killing Eve:

• "Being the sole Asian person is a very familiar place for me. The UK, I’m not afraid to say, is behind...the development of people behind the camera is very slow in the UK ...sometimes it would be me and 75 white people and I have not come from that in my film career [working with women and women of color]." She considers it exciting when a non-white person joins the Killing Eve cast and crew.
  • Sandra says as an Asian actress, she's used to being an outsider and interpreted Eve as such. She finds even her accent changes as Eve and being a sole "different" person in another country deeply affected Eve.
  • Sandra wasn't impressed by the Killing Eve books.
  • In early seasons of Grey's Anatomy, race was never brought up. Sandra said it kind of bugged her and now she focuses on including her culture in her roles. She wanted Eve to go to Cambodia to be anonymous and Suzanne Heathcote wrote Eve as retreating to the Asian community as comfort after season two which Sandra was very happy about. She pushed for Eve to speak Korean.
15 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Sandra Oh did a GREAT Actors on Actors interview with Kerry Washington for Variety. It's long (over an hour) but it is such a lovely, complex, layered conversation. I would like to petition for all actors to be interviewed by fellow actors instead of vapid entertainment "journalists."

There have been a lot of really great Actors on Actors interviews over the years. They are so much more thoughtful and interesting than the usual "tell us about your new project!" interviews with entertainment magazines. I look forward to the Actors on Actors series every year because I know to expect these kinds of conversations.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There have been a lot of really great Actors on Actors interviews over the years. They are so much more thoughtful and interesting than the usual "tell us about your new project!" interviews with entertainment magazines. I look forward to the Actors on Actors series every year because I know to expect these kinds of conversations.

I've seen a few others but I think I'm going to actively search them out. It is so much more refreshing than the standard "What appealed to you most about the project?, etc. etc." rehash particularly when you can tell the interviewer isn't familiar with the material aside from maybe 1 episode they were provided. 

It was so obvious in this interview that Kerry loves KE and Sandra loves Little Fires and that really came through. I thought it was lovely. 

• Love 2
(edited)
28 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I've seen a few others but I think I'm going to actively search them out. It is so much more refreshing than the standard "What appealed to you most about the project?, etc. etc." rehash particularly when you can tell the interviewer isn't familiar with the material aside from maybe 1 episode they were provided. 

It was so obvious in this interview that Kerry loves KE and Sandra loves Little Fires and that really came through. I thought it was lovely. 

Variety does a pretty good job matching people up so the interviews are consistently good. They've been doing this Actors on Actors series since 2014 so there are now over 100 (!) interviews. There's a full list here so you can browse through all the different pairings and find them on youtube. This season's list hasn't been added to wikipedia yet, but you can see the list here.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

As there's no actors in other roles or Jodie Comer thread, I thought I'd put this here. Jodie starred in Alan Bennett's Talking Heads episode Her Big Chance, which is basically a 42 minute monologue. I read an article about how they did the filming with basically only her, the director, and the cinematographer on set, and that the rehearsals were done by Zoom. 

• Love 3

Ugh, that is a SERIOUS bummer. I was expecting the show to go 5 seasons. 4 seems just too short--it seems to me they certainly still have 2 seasons' worth of material.

Any sort of spinoff would be a terrible idea (and I say this as someone who just loves Killing Eve). Oh and Comer and their chemistry ARE the show.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Ugh, that is a SERIOUS bummer. I was expecting the show to go 5 seasons. 4 seems just too short--it seems to me they certainly still have 2 seasons' worth of material.

Any sort of spinoff would be a terrible idea (and I say this as someone who just loves Killing Eve). Oh and Comer and their chemistry ARE the show.

I agree with all of the above. I truly thought they were going to end it with 5 (and had hoped PWB would come back for the final season.) I can't help but feel like the COVID shutdown forced their hand a bit and wonder whether season 4 is now being rewritten to account for the fact that it is the end. And now I'm even more salty that season 3 wasted so much time keeping E and V apart and focusing so much on the newbies. 😒

I have no interest in a spin-off either. I think it's a horrible idea. Who are they going to follow? Irina in prison? Konstantin on a beach somewhere? Kenny in the afterlife? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I definitely think that making S4 the last season has to do with the way Covid has thrown the entertainment industry into chaos. Last year when S3 aired, they were definitely NOT talking like S4 was the end. I would guess that's a relatively recent decision and I would guess it's a Covid trickle-down in some way. Ugh.

• Love 1

I'm glad the show is ending with season 4, as how much longer can Villanelle and Eve play cat and mouse? I feel like we've started getting diminishing returns, so if the writers can create a strong final season, I'll be satisfied.

Add me to the list of people not interested in a spinoff.

• Love 6

“I'm glad the show is ending with season 4, as how much longer can Villanelle and Eve play cat and mouse? I feel like we've started getting diminishing returns, so if the writers can create a strong final season, I'll be satisfied.”

I feel the same regarding Villanelle and Eve’s relationship. I’m someone who enjoyed all 3 seasons so far, but rebooting the show each is getting a bit tricky, so I think season 4 is a good place to end things.

I’d be open to a Carolyn spin-off.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm glad the show is ending with season 4, as how much longer can Villanelle and Eve play cat and mouse? I feel like we've started getting diminishing returns, so if the writers can create a strong final season, I'll be satisfied.

I was telling someone else the same thing. Even three seasons has been pushing this concept. And I love both JC and SO and how they've played these characters.

1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

I’d be open to a Carolyn spin-off.

She'd be the only character to lead a spin-off. Her facing off against The Twelve (if she's not actually a member). 

• Love 3

The cynical part of me thinks that their solution to the (deserved) criticism of their all-white writer's room is to just end the show so they don't have to replace people. (Sandra Oh said that she had to layer in her own ethnicity on the show, something she wouldn't have to do if they had even one single Korean writer.)

I'm disappointed that they're not giving themselves the chance to do better, but considering how much it felt like the characters were on a treadmill in season three, I'm okay with the show ending as long as they can wrap it up in a satisfying way.

• Useful 1

This pisses me off.  I'd take any seasons of the show I could get.  This is rough.  

On 3/17/2021 at 6:19 PM, Cranberry said:

The cynical part of me thinks that their solution to the (deserved) criticism of their all-white writer's room is to just end the show so they don't have to replace people. (Sandra Oh said that she had to layer in her own ethnicity on the show, something she wouldn't have to do if they had even one single Korean writer.)

That's really sad.  How hard is it to find non-white writers?  Pathetic.

There’s plenty of characters that could be spun off – it’s highly unlikely that Comer or Oh would front a stand-alone spinoff – including The Twelve, the shadowy organization that is association with Villanelle, or The Bitter Pill, a group of investigative journalists that help Polastri investigate.

Why is this part highly unlikely?

If Comer or Oh are not seriously involved in the spinoff I'd have about zero interest.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 3/20/2021 at 1:31 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:
On 3/17/2021 at 6:19 PM, Cranberry said:

(Sandra Oh said that she had to layer in her own ethnicity on the show, something she wouldn't have to do if they had even one single Korean writer.)

That's really sad.  How hard is it to find non-white writers? 

Non-white is one category, but Korean is a specific subset. 

I see some problems with specifying Korean:

there are some really bad feelings from the twentieth century and before among east Asian countries.  If her character were Korean above all, would the show lose millions of potential followers.

How do you write a Korean character and avoid stereotypes.  What one generation would recognize, a younger or older generation might not like.

Does anyone remember the ethnic season of Survivor when "asian" was a tribe?  Do you remember the criticism heaped on the show for thinking that contestants from four very different countries might get along?