Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: Happy Ending

• Start Topic

On 4/8/2020 at 2:32 PM, YaddaYadda said:

And look at Stevie, the bud who became a rose. 

Oh my GOODNESS... that is perfection. As is/was this show - I am so glad I gave it a chance, back in the day. It’s my happy place. 

• Love 7

The show is so short, like 21 to 22 minutes but the highlights are so many because Daniel Levy pays so much attention to detail, whether it's with words, expressions or outfits.  Every show has so many unforgettable moments.  I will miss the Schitt out of this show but I'm SO glad they wrote it all on their own terms with CBC.  Had it been bought by a big American network, the name of the show wouldn't have had the word Schitt in it and they would have had to cut out anything considered edgy.  CBC allowed them to do exactly what they wanted.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I must confess. I was disappointed in the finale, but mostly Patrick and David's story. I very much loved their courtship in previous seasons, but this season it just seemed like David either showed no growth or regressed. It was so much "me, me, me" that I felt sorry for Patrick. I got the sense that David was staying not willingly, but begrudgingly. Who knows, maybe being away from his parents and sister will help him grow up more.

Plus, I found how casually they treated the whole "happy ending" to the massage problematic. I would think monogamy was important to Patrick. How could David think getting jerked off by a stranger on his wedding day would be something Patrick would have arranged?

While I was sad to see Alexis not be with Ted, I'm glad they started her on a new path. Besides, isn't it cliched that a woman needs a man to make her life complete? She's charting her own course, not one dictated because she wants to be with a man.

I liked that Moira played hardball and won. And her outfit at the wedding definitely brought to mind the priest from "Princess Bride" (as several others pointed out).

The whole Rosebud motel chain business model still doesn't make sense to me, from the venture capitalist in New York saying it was exactly the type of project she and her associates were looking for to Johnny relocating to Los Angeles to run it to Stevie being the one in business development. I've said this before, but the character always seemed on the verge of bursting into tears with her tremulous voice. Is that how the actress really speaks, or was it a character choice?

I liked that there was no "five years later" type of epilogue. As we've seen with numerous reboots ("Will and Grace," "Roseanne"), finality of that kind anymore wrecks the potential of a reboot or requires such massive retconning that fans feel betrayed. 

I did like that Roland changed the town sign to honor the Roses, which Johnny noticed as they drove out of town.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I must confess. I was disappointed in the finale, but mostly Patrick and David's story. I very much loved their courtship in previous seasons, but this season it just seemed like David either showed no growth or regressed. It was so much "me, me, me" that I felt sorry for Patrick. I got the sense that David was staying not willingly, but begrudgingly. Who knows, maybe being away from his parents and sister will help him grow up more.

Plus, I found how casually they treated the whole "happy ending" to the massage problematic. I would think monogamy was important to Patrick. How could David think getting jerked off by a stranger on his wedding day would be something Patrick would have arranged?

While I was sad to see Alexis not be with Ted, I'm glad they started her on a new path. Besides, isn't it cliched that a woman needs a man to make her life complete? She's charting her own course, not one dictated because she wants to be with a man.

I liked that Moira played hardball and won. And her outfit at the wedding definitely brought to mind the priest from "Princess Bride" (as several others pointed out).

The whole Rosebud motel chain business model still doesn't make sense to me, from the venture capitalist in New York saying it was exactly the type of project she and her associates were looking for to Johnny relocating to Los Angeles to run it to Stevie being the one in business development. I've said this before, but the character always seemed on the verge of bursting into tears with her tremulous voice. Is that how the actress really speaks, or was it a character choice?

I liked that there was no "five years later" type of epilogue. As we've seen with numerous reboots ("Will and Grace," "Roseanne"), finality of that kind anymore wrecks the potential of a reboot or requires such massive retconning that fans feel betrayed. 

I did like that Roland changed the town sign to honor the Roses, which Johnny noticed as they drove out of town.

That's Emily Hampshire's natural voice.

I don't think David will grow as much as Alexis has.  I also love that she set out on her own instead of having her happily ever after be with a man.  Frankly, I don't know how Patrick can stand David but I also think SC is the best place for both of them, David didn't have real friends before this and now he has his store, his best friend in Stevie, and in Patrick, someone who just accepts him as he is.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I have to disagree with you. Remember, they were considering "having a whiskey" with Jake earlier in the season. Also, David had sent Patrick off on that date with Ken (with the pointy but squared-off shoes). It's not unheard of for gay male couples to have a more casual interpretation of monogamy/faithfulness and a "happy ending" that you thought your partner knew about wouldn't really be a betrayal. Also, once Patrick realized that he had sort of set the whole thing in motion (and that David thought that Patrick knew that that was going to happen), he couldn't really be too mad. I thought Patrick was adorable, though, asking if the guy was good and then not wanting to know.

• Love 11

I thought Patrick was adorable, though, asking if the guy was good and then not wanting to know.

And then David giving the thumbs-up to Stevie while he was hugging Patrick.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, lovett1979 said:

I have to disagree with you. Remember, they were considering "having a whiskey" with Jake earlier in the season. Also, David had sent Patrick off on that date with Ken (with the pointy but squared-off shoes). It's not unheard of for gay male couples to have a more casual interpretation of monogamy/faithfulness and a "happy ending" that you thought your partner knew about wouldn't really be a betrayal. Also, once Patrick realized that he had sort of set the whole thing in motion (and that David thought that Patrick knew that that was going to happen), he couldn't really be too mad. I thought Patrick was adorable, though, asking if the guy was good and then not wanting to know.

They presented Patrick as a fairly traditional guy, so I think he would have traditional views of monogamy -- "gay" or otherwise. If I recall, he didn't sleep with the guy from the date, right? He came right back to David because he wanted only David? Also, a threesome with your partner is still a lot different than a handjob from a stranger. It made me think even less of David (and my opinion of him was already low this entire season), and sorry for Patrick. Also, what's the point of getting married if not to include fidelity? (And yes, I know there are supposedly successful "open" marriages.)

• Love 9
On 4/14/2020 at 11:17 PM, SmithW6079 said:

They presented Patrick as a fairly traditional guy, so I think he would have traditional views of monogamy -- "gay" or otherwise. If I recall, he didn't sleep with the guy from the date, right? He came right back to David because he wanted only David? Also, a threesome with your partner is still a lot different than a handjob from a stranger. It made me think even less of David (and my opinion of him was already low this entire season), and sorry for Patrick. Also, what's the point of getting married if not to include fidelity? (And yes, I know there are supposedly successful "open" marriages.)

Me and most of my partners have kind of an agreement,  and some of my partners are way more traditional than myself.   If something happens,  let it happen,  have a fantastic time.   Tell me about it the next day, stories over a Sunday brunch can be hilarious.   But we also have a scorched earth policy,  one and done so emotions don't get involved. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 4/15/2020 at 5:17 AM, SmithW6079 said:

You are right that Patrick had a more traditional view of relationships. But that was the entire joke, that he literally had no ground to be upset about David having sex with someone else, because it really seemed like Patrick set up the whole thing.

• Love 2
On 4/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, SmithW6079 said:

David returning to New York would've been a sign of real regression, and he even acknowledged himself that he wanted to return to New York to show his old friends that he'd "won"; that's not a healthy reason, and he knew it.  Making the choice to stay in Schitt's Creek didn't strike me as being about or for Patrick; rather, it was the final step in David's growth.  We've seen him learn to appreciate and embrace human connections built on love, trust, kindness, loyalty, and everything else that was antithetical to his friendships in New York.  As much as he'll always be that pretentious, dramatic guy and as much as he might be loathe to admit it to anyone but Stevie and Patrick, Schitt's Creek has become David's safe place – the home I think he, more than his parents or sister, was really searching for.

• Love 20
On 5/4/2020 at 8:30 PM, NUguy514 said:

David returning to New York would've been a sign of real regression, and he even acknowledged himself that he wanted to return to New York to show his old friends that he'd "won"; that's not a healthy reason, and he knew it.

It's also important to note that he didn't actually win. Since when is getting married some big achievement? I doubt his rich NY friends would see anything great about it.

• Love 1

He married a great guy, started his own business--one that is about to get really big with outfitting all the Rosebud hotels--has a close relationship with his family and a great best friend.  He won in every way that matters and he clearly feels that way.

I am a David lover so I always defend him but I don't get the lack of growth comments---he is living in Schitt's Creek to make Patrick happy and he got married in town hall because it was more impt to him to get married than to have the perfect wedding. And he let Alexis wear a wedding gown down the aisle.  He rocks.  None of them lost their personality--they just improved.  I mean, Alexis is not going to be taken very seriously as a publicist if she constantly plays with her hair and boops everyone on the nose but no one is busting on her.

• Love 22

I had been saving the finale to watch at the right moment. (I think that I really did not want to be done with the show.) Loved it - although I could have done without David's "happy ending". 

Thrilled that all of the townspeople were included - especially Ronnie, whose hatred of Patrick will never be old for me, and Ray. 

Teared up as the wedding started and did not stop until the show ended. 

The sign! Perfect and brilliant. 

Such personal development and growth from all of the Roses - and Stevie. The themes of acceptance, love, tolerance, friendship are really needed now. 

I hope that the show cleans up at the Emmy's. 

Going to start a re-watch. 

• Love 4

I just finished a race through this whole show! Really liked it, BUT...I have some gripes, because I feel like there was some potential here that was not fulfilled.

Here's the main thing. I think over the course of the series, the funniest and best scenes were always the four Roses interacting with each OTHER, and I feel like overall, there was just not enough of this!

For example, only David and Moira, and Moira and Johnny had enough scenes together over the course of the series. But David and Alexis were always really funny together and I feel they didn't get nearly paired up enough as a duo from beginning to end. And the real obvious reason for this was to emphasize Stevie and Patrick and their relationships with David over her, and as much as I like Stevie and Patrick fine, they were never that funny to me. So much focus on them and yet, the real comedic juice belonged to the Roses. I was never that invested in Stevie. I feel like her whole arc on this show could have been accomplished the same exact way with maybe 30% less screen time.

Also not focused on enough was David and Johnny (I don't know what that's about- maybe Dan Levy didn't want to act with his dad that much).

I never liked focus on characters like Jocelyn for example. Anything that went to her could have been Alexis. Twila is another example. What was this big scene of her and Alexis bonding in this last episode? Did we need to see that? I never got the impression that Alexis and Twila had this great friendship.

The focus on the romance storylines with Ted/Patrick were excessive imo. It was...sweet I guess, but again, so much focus on that stuff and a lot of the time I'd be thinking I would rather be seeing David and Alexis doing scenes with each other right now instead of this, because I'd be laughing more.

In the finale, the scene where David freaks out about Alexis's wedding dress and them walking down the aisle together was the first thing that made me laugh out loud this entire show. That was really funny.

I guess what I'm saying is- this show could have been something like The Golden Girls, with four amazing leads interacting as much as possible and it would have been GREAT. As it was, I think it's good. 

• Love 4
On 4/8/2020 at 8:08 AM, backhometome said:

I wish there was some kind of flash forward with the characters. Alexis didn't really get a lot this ep. I was hoping Ted would show up. 😞

Me too. I kind of kept expecting him to show back up or for Alexis to go to Galapagos just for a visit to see if she liked it or not.

Mostly I just don’t like that she didn’t get something a bit more definite, even if it didn’t include Ted. Everything was SO focused on David that IMO the other characters got a little cut off and Alexis most of all. Not that I didn’t care about David and of course he was having his wedding and that would be the focus, but it’s like they just ended Alexis’ story abruptly. 

I’m also sad to think of the characters who always lived in the town and are staying behind. Things will be dull for them without Moira around!  I’m sure Stevie will get lots of travel but the others are kind of going back to the way things were before.

• Love 2

I just watched the final episode and cried like a baby.  Catherine O'Hara's little tremor in her voice when she was officiating made the tears flow.  I'll miss the gang and hope they do an occasional special.

• Love 4

I just finished last night and tried to post but my stupid browser kept closing and reopening (hate explorer) so I gave up and went to bed.

I like the series but for me it's not one I will watch over and over like I do Friends, Frasier and MASH. And that's because I don't really care for some of the characters with Roland being at the top of my list. I hated that character and he sucked the air out of every scene he was in, even Jocelyn started bugging me. I liked her at first but she because manic after getting pregnant and stayed that way. I know I'm in the minority here but I thought Patrick was dull as dirt and had no chemistry with David and I got no gay vibe from him at all. And I'm really going to upset people when I say I didn't care for Stevie.

I did not understand why they stayed at the hotel for years, surely they made some income especially after David got money from the dress shop I think he could've used a little to rent a 3 bedroom house so he wouldn't have to share a bedroom with his grown sister. It was fun when the series first started and they got stuck in Schitt's Creek but after a while I'm thinking why are they still there.

I really wanted Alexis to have a happy ending with Ted and I ended up feeling sad for her because it seemed like she was going to be lonely going to New York all by herself. And who's paying for her to live there? I didn't understand why she didn't stay her moms publicist that would be guaranteed money or maybe she will from New York but I don't see her being successful at it she's a little too boop, boop.  I did like her though.

I understand that the investment firm is going to help with the purchase of the hotels but wouldn't they buy one at a time so I'm not getting how all of a sudden that would mean money for everyone. I know Moira's getting a lot of money for her reboot but they were going to move to New York before she excepted the offer so where was that money coming from?

I thought David's wedding was perfect and very sweet but Moira just happened to have a Pope like outfit in her closet, of course she did, lol.

I loved Johnny's support of Moira and they were my favorite couple.

I was hoping for a time jump forward at the end to see how everyone's doing.

The sign was perfect!

I forgot to mention I loved the way Bob ran swinging his arms with a little chuckle. I saw an actor do the same thing on another show or movie and now for the life of me I can't remember who it was. But it cracked me up every time Bob ran. 

Edited by foxfreakinmulder
  • Love 3
On 10/7/2020 at 12:43 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I understand that the investment firm is going to help with the purchase of the hotels but wouldn't they buy one at a time so I'm not getting how all of a sudden that would mean money for everyone. I know Moira's getting a lot of money for her reboot but they were going to move to New York before she excepted the offer so where was that money coming from?

Getting investment capital means that their motel enterprise can now start giving them paychecks. Roland alluded to that when he bought the truck. (Of course New York, or California, rents would probably eat up all of it. Good thing Moira got a gig!)

I’m, just, so happy and so teary-eyed. Moira’s officiating vestments were perfection. And David had every expression cross his face during Patrick’s vows. 

Turning over the key to Stevie and driving off... *sniff* I loved that Johnny kissed her on the forehead. The Rose family really changed her life.

I hope the family does get together regularly, now that they’ll be scattered across North America. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just finished this season. I will miss this sweet show. 

I loved the Jazzagals singing at the wedding.  It was perfect. 

I liked how they did the end.  It was sweet.  Seemed like real I love yous the whole episode.  And very real sad tears.  I'm looking forward to whatever Dan Levy does next. 

• Love 4

I love this show so much!! 

My favorite parts of this episode were the Jazzagals singing "The Best" and David's wedding attire. I got a bit teary eyed when David was walking down the aisle and mouthed "Thank You." to his dad and Johnny smiled and nodded. Knowing that was a real life moment between Eugene and Dan was everything! 

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 5

I, too, just picked this up about a couple months ago and watched all the episodes.  I just watched the finale.  I also wish that Alexis and Ted could work it all out somehow.  I wouldn’t think them being together would be her ‘needing a man’ because we saw her growth over the series and her love for HIM was genuine.  She wasn’t wanting him to fix anything for her.

I also thought Johnny left something kind for Stevie in room 7.  

I just really liked that this was a relatively clean show and that Johnny and Moira really loved each other.  It was never gold digging and/or them not being fully committed to one another.  

• Love 4

Just watched the last season and read this thread. 

I feel like some people don't understand what a handicap those five-years-later, wrap-up montages are for shows. Unless your show was a flop and you know it's never going to have a reunion movie, it's insane to do a wrap up montage. 

And ugh, wanting Ted to randomly show up to what? Save Alexis from a life of singledom? Such a tired cliche. 

Also, those who thought there was too much focus on David? You do understand that it was his show? Dan Levy was the producer, the lead, so of course it's mainly his story. 

I'm looking forward to checking out the Rosebud Motel, since it's only an hour from my house. 

• Love 6

I think Alexis' "happy ending" was knowing that she was capable of achieving things without having a boyfriend/significant other-that she alone was competent.  I think that there are many, in both fiction and real life, that think they are not complete without a significant other and throughout the series Alexis had stories that showed her competence and intelligence even though the focus of the stories seemed to be about relationships.

• Love 8
On 4/8/2020 at 1:45 PM, seaELare said:

He was wearing head to toe Thom Browne.  Not sure which collection, might be from the Resort 2018 collection.  

It's a shame Thom Browne (whoever he is) can't spell correctly when he's self-publicizing. 

On 10/26/2020 at 10:44 AM, Shermie said:

Also, those who thought there was too much focus on David? You do understand that it was his show? Dan Levy was the producer, the lead, so of course it's mainly his story. 

Which does not mean the character needs to be a Mary Sue. I never saw this as David's story exclusively. It was an ensemble from the beginning.

• Love 2
(edited)

This post was inspired by another user who is currently watching for the first time from the beginning and just finished Season 3. They posted this in relation to David and Patrick's relationship - "I figure that since they took time with it, this is going to last a while, and I look forward to it." I wanted to respond in that thread but feared saying spoilers for future seasons, so I'm posting here and hopefully they will see this post when they get through the series. So Bastet, I hope you're reading this a few weeks from now.

One of the reasons why I love this relationship so much is that it is unlike any other romantic relationship shown on TV. It's not will-they-won't-they. It's not unrequited, but then the other person realizes they were wrong. It's not on-again-off-again. All of these are ways to draw out relationships for dramatic purposes, but not terribly realistic. With David and Patrick, they manage to draw out the steps of the relationship in a way that makes it seem real. It takes them a half season to get from meeting to the first kiss/confirmation of interest. Then another ENTIRE season to say "I love you" (halfway through, finally saying "boyfriend"). Then ANOTHER season before they get engaged (with a misunderstanding along the way of if they were ready to move in together). And through each of those seasons, there are things that challenge the relationship, but never in a way that truly threatens it, and they are constantly growing stronger together. There is drama in all of this, but it is so much more interesting than a Ross/Rachel-type merry-go-round.

Edited by lovett1979
  • Love 12
On 4/8/2020 at 9:19 AM, Kanner said:

I really liked the fact that the episode played more like a “coda” then a finale. All the characters already had their wrap ups. Johnny, Stevie, and Roland with the business in The Pitch and Moria with her accepting the show on her turns, Alexis and restarting in NYC and rejecting the money, David and Patrick with the house and staying in Start Spreading the News. 
This was just good times to be had by all. So sweet and ridiculous. 

I agree.  That's why I loved it, and I wish more shows had finales like this.  After the perfect way they ended Alexis and Ted's relationship*, I had a good deal of faith the show itself would end well, but I'm always a little nervous because I've hated so many series finales.

(*I completely agree with Dan Levy in the farewell special, that a relationship ending not because the love is gone, but because circumstances necessitated it, with circumstances meaning their personal growth, was beautiful.  Sad, of course.  But beautiful.  And right.  And so refreshingly mature for TV!)

I also had faith they wouldn't all inexplicably decide to stay put, but, again, I'm always a bit gun shy with TV.  While it didn't always entirely succeed, this show was written in a deliberate attempt to do the usual storylines in a much better way.  So I was very hopeful Levy and co. wouldn't let me down, especially because they went out on their own timeline and had crafted the final season's main plots well in advance. 

Indeed, everyone was left where it made perfect sense for them to be.  Stevie realized she wanted to stay, but travel, and now she can go set up new hotels and return to home base.  David wanted to go back to NY for the wrong reasons, and Patrick was willing to but would rather be in SC, so they stay.  My beloved trio remains intact.

Johnny can oversee his new business venture from L.A. just as well as NY, so he'll go there with Moira, because that's where she's shooting - returning to the role she's built her entire identity around, but on her terms.  And Alexis.  Oh, how I love that Alexis, who spent her entire life following boyfriends across the globe and couldn't stand being alone for five minutes, isn't even following her family anywhere this time; she's going to NY by herself, to build something entirely her own.

This was great; one last bit of wacky hijinks and then a celebration and fond farewell.  When Moira said Roland had promised a going away present, but apparently not since he didn't show, I figured it would turn out he'd finally replaced the sign.  But the new version was better than anything I could have imagined.  What a perfect final shot.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:47 PM, lovett1979 said:

And through each of those seasons, there are things that challenge the relationship, but never in a way that truly threatens it, and they are constantly growing stronger together.

That was refreshing, particularly in a same-sex couple.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:47 PM, lovett1979 said:

So Bastet, I hope you're reading this a few weeks from now.

As you can see, it didn't take me weeks.  I briefly reduced my number of episodes watched per night because that much exposure to Chris Elliott was too much (that man is repugnant, and I do not know why anyone puts him on TV), and David and Alexis's great signature mannerisms felt very repetitive when watching for hours at a time, but temptation was too great and I went back to binge watching.

I will re-watch it at a slower pace some day, because there are so many great touches - dialogue, line delivery, wardrobe, set dressing, background characters' reactions - working together to create the big picture, I can't always take them all in at once.

I'm glad I finally watched this show, and wish I'd gotten into it in real time.  I was pleased to find it very funny, but had no idea it was going to be so lovely as well.

I keep calling my cat "beh-beh" in Moira's voice now, and saying "Caw-CAW" to the crows in my front yard.  And when I witnessed something gross on TV last night, I found myself thinking "Ew-uh" and then promptly saying, "Ew, David."

• LOL 4
  • Love 5