Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E14: Baby Steps

Kohola3
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

Do you not think that it was as tough for Meri to live with Janelle's laid back attitude as it was for Janelle to live with Meri's controlling attitude?  Maybe one gave rise to the other, like the chicken and the egg debate.

Sharing chipped dishes and having dirty dishes & filthy carpets everywhere, unused exercise equipment causing tripping hazards in the middle of the living room, etc., would not be something I would want to live with.

• Love 13
46 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

How many days do you think the wet clothes sit in the washing machine before Janelle re-washes or just moves them to the dryer?

A couple of days, isn't the top of her washer where her "game changer, rock-star" insta-pot lives ?

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

How many days do you think the wet clothes sit in the washing machine before Janelle re-washes or just moves them to the dryer?

And then after they are dried they sit in a basket in the laundry room for another week or two and people just rifle through the basket to find the clothes they need. Eventually it gets taken to the right rooms and it thrown in a pile on a chair or on top of a dresser.  Dirty clothes are tossed on the floor of every bedroom.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Kyanight said:

And then after they are dried they sit in a basket in the laundry room for another week or two and people just rifle through the basket to find the clothes they need. Eventually it gets taken to the right rooms and it thrown in a pile on a chair or on top of a dresser.  Dirty clothes are tossed on the floor of every bedroom.  

Real honesty time. I do this when I'm overwhelmed. Living out of a basket now and then  isn't the worst thing in life.  I feel for Janelle. I don't think its laziness. Laziness is a sign of something else. Look at the signs. Low motivation. Unfinished tasks. Fairly bright but unable to stick to and succeed in a career. Doesn't get angry with Kody or really doesn't even care to be with him - because her expectations are extraordinarily low. Avoids conflict of any kind. I'm guessing she binge eats. What do you see? Depression? ADD? Anxiety? All of the above?

• Love 23
10 hours ago, deirdra said:

Sharing chipped dishes and having dirty dishes & filthy carpets everywhere, unused exercise equipment causing tripping hazards in the middle of the living room, etc., would not be something I would want to live with.

I wouldn't like that either, but 

Janelle is a slob,  Meri is a conniving witch.

Funny how Janelle gets along with everyone in the family except Meri 

Meri gets along with a few of the youngest kids who never had to grow up under the same roof as her.

The older kids who grew up sharing a house with Meri can't stand her but they're all okay with Janelle including Mariah.

I think Meri was being a bitch about a lot more things than dishes in the sink.

When you have that many people who can't stand your ass but they get along fine with everyone else, maybe you're the problem.... Meri 🙄

• Love 17
On 4/6/2020 at 4:48 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

Kody can not want them to take on loans, but it’s not up to him.  I took out all my loans under my own name—my parents didn’t sign a thing.  There is a lot of money for the taking out there as long as you sign on the dotted line.  I had no credit and I was able to finance three years at an expensive private law school “just because.”  

I would never, ever, ever, ever give back my law school years for anything—no matter that I’m in debt now; it’s not like credit card debt, it’s very malleable.   So maybe my experience has varied from others.  

I just think it’s an old school mentality to wait until you can afford school to go there.  It’s very smart to get things on credit.  If I waited to get a higher education until I could afford it,  I would still be waitressing and bartending in order to afford tuition, and I would be entering college when I was around forty, which is when the average person’s earning potential skyrockets.  Having my education paid for in advance gives me the same earning potential of the fortunate sons, if you will, so it’s actually really democratic.

The problem with the Browns is that they spend their money—whether it’s cash or credit—on very stupid shit, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t make a ton of sense to finance things without the cash on hand.  If someone can’t tell the difference between Victoria’s Secret and university, they should probably go for neither.  

I just know that I think it’s a great investment for a gorgeous girl who is living within a razor’s edge of neglect (which is a form of abuse) as a nomad with a cacophony of other children and women who are spiteful and a father who doesn’t give a shit to take this opportunity and run with it.  It’s like an educational version of “here’s your one chance / Fancy don’t let me down.” 😀

And this isn’t politically correct of me, but I don’t care, because it’s about the future of a young woman—I think it’s a great investment to spend more on a private institute of higher learning than the closest state school, because you become exposed to people of means, many of whom are very generous and you sort of get to be rich by osmosis, which allows you (or at least it allowed me) to dream bigger for yourself than you ever could have imagined.  Going to a prestigious school also provides the student who took out the loans with post-collegiate networking opportunities, which ups their opportunity to get a better, higher-paying job so that they can afford to re-pay the loans, and then there’s the obvious—it’s highly likely that she can meet her future husband at college, and she can very well set herself up for life if she selects a mate who shows intelligence and a great disposition for hard work.  

My bottom line—Ysabel is not stuck there in her dark, dank home in Flagstaff.  If she wants to become another Brown victim/statistic and take classes commuting to the local college from Christine’s house and maybe becoming a sister-wife of her own, do it!  But don’t let it be said you didn’t have other options.  Free will is a beautiful thing.   There are always excuses why something isn’t prudent or safe—people gave me a million reasons to stay home and get my education, and I came from a very normal family—but you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet, and if I were her, I’d bet on myself long before I bet on any of those losers. 

I LOVE your smart, well thought-out post! Many people could benefit from this wisdom. Like my immigrant father always says, GOOD debt makes the world go ‘round. He came to this country with $300 and a dream in the 70s, and has done pretty well for himself. My parents applied for student loans, got ejumicated, and took off. Money makes money and no one ever acquired true wealth and success by socking away pennies. Saving is honorable and necessary, however not at the expense of investing. And that’s what a student loan is, an investment in the future. (But of course there are bad investments in education too! I’m not expecting much of a return on an investment into Renaissance Literature, though while a lovely study, won’t pay the bills or pay off the loans.)

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 12

I think Robyn is competing for "Best Mother" in her mind. Christine's kids seem somewhat flighty like her - fly by the seat. Janelle's sons all leave without looking back. Her daughters, depressed in their early years, also seek quick independence. Meri likely thinks Mariah is the winner in the "who's the most successful contest."

But Robyn keeps her kids close to the nest. Orderly, methodical, reserved, in the "perfect" Homelife she's created.

Do you think the wives do compete for the "best mother" award?

• Love 4

But Robyn keeps her kids close to the nest. Orderly, methodical, reserved, in the "perfect" Homelife she's created.

Isn't Dayton the only one who's out of high school - and he's what? First year of college? And has special needs. I wouldn't necessarily expected her kids to have flown the coop yet.

• Love 3

If all went according to plan, Dayton should be finishing his second year of college at NAU.  However, word has been circulating that he quit/dropped out of NAU and is going to a community college. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

All sister wife politics aside, if the point was really to save money and build on Coyote Pass as soon as possible, Janelle with two kids and Christine with 3 kids could share one house with all the girls sharing rooms, and Robyn with five kids could share one house with Meri. It just doesn't seem like the point was ever to save money and build on Coyote Pass. They keep saying that is the point of it all, but their actions scream otherwise. Was the point really just for Dayton to attend college in Flagstaff?? As much as they are doormats, I really doubt Christine and Janelle would have agreed to move if that was the only reason.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

All sister wife politics aside, if the point was really to save money and build on Coyote Pass as soon as possible, Janelle with two kids and Christine with 3 kids could share one house with all the girls sharing rooms, and Robyn with five kids could share one house with Meri. It just doesn't seem like the point was ever to save money and build on Coyote Pass. They keep saying that is the point of it all, but their actions scream otherwise. Was the point really just for Dayton to attend college in Flagstaff?? As much as they are doormats, I really doubt Christine and Janelle would have agreed to move if that was the only reason.

As compliant as Janelle seems to be, I agree that it was motivated by something other than Dayton attending college.  Look at what Janelle alone had at stake - the tossing aside of Gabe's accomplishments, as well as abandoning Maddie, Caleb and Axel in Las Vegas.  I realize that they eventually moved to NC, but I wonder if they would have made that move if the family were still resident in LV.  Maddie craves attention and would have welcomed the support from Janelle in the care and feeding of Axel and although she wasn't pregnant at that time, even more so now with the challenges they are facing with Evangeline.

IMO, the move was motivated purely for story line, everything had gone stale in the cul-de-sac and rather than risk cancellation of the show, Kody in his infinite wisdom, decided that a major upheaval would generate another few seasons.  It's hard for us boring old monogamists to get our head around this rationale but then most of us actually work for a living and don't expect to be handed an income for putting our lives on display.

Further to this concept, is the peek behind the curtains we have witnessed this season.  Up until now, they held the viewers attention with curiosity about a lifestyle far different than most could imagine.  Aside from  Meri's indiscretions, which they had no control over being exposed, their lives had become pretty humdrum.  They are now willing to up the ante with Kody and Meri attending therapy sessions, which seem fruitless but it does have the viewers riled up taking sides.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

As compliant as Janelle seems to be, I agree that it was motivated by something other than Dayton attending college.  Look at what Janelle alone had at stake - the tossing aside of Gabe's accomplishments, as well as abandoning Maddie, Caleb and Axel in Las Vegas.  I realize that they eventually moved to NC, but I wonder if they would have made that move if the family were still resident in LV.  Maddie craves attention and would have welcomed the support from Janelle in the care and feeding of Axel and although she wasn't pregnant at that time, even more so now with the challenges they are facing with Evangeline.

IMO, the move was motivated purely for story line, everything had gone stale in the cul-de-sac and rather than risk cancellation of the show, Kody in his infinite wisdom, decided that a major upheaval would generate another few seasons.  It's hard for us boring old monogamists to get our head around this rationale but then most of us actually work for a living and don't expect to be handed an income for putting our lives on display.

Further to this concept, is the peek behind the curtains we have witnessed this season.  Up until now, they held the viewers attention with curiosity about a lifestyle far different than most could imagine.  Aside from  Meri's indiscretions, which they had no control over being exposed, their lives had become pretty humdrum.  They are now willing to up the ante with Kody and Meri attending therapy sessions, which seem fruitless but it does have the viewers riled up taking sides.

That was my feeling as well. They're pretty much repeating the Vegas storylines if you do a comparison side by side. I'm just waiting for the wives to start getting concerned about their weight again. TLC knows that attempted weight loss is a big ratings draw. 

Dayton attending college is just a red herring. I'm sure he would have done as well at UNLV.  I still get the impression that he doesn't have much in common with Kody's bio sons and therefore spends WAY too much time with Momma and Kody. 

In a few years they'll sell the (still undeveloped) lots and move to another town (I'm putting my money on St George) and start the process all over, if the show lasts that long.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

It would have been interesting to see how they got from Janelle adamantly refusing to move Gabe so close to graduation to Janelle being fully on board and excited about Flagstaff.  They left all that footage out.  We can assume it was a conversion that went something like "the show will be cancelled unless we move or take another wife".  They all desperately need the show to continue.  Even selling their LLR clothes is based on their fame from the show.  People will stop watching their facebook lives and ordering tons of crap clothes in the hopes of catching a glimpse of them living their home lives.  I've always thought that is why Meri doesn't leave either.  Her LLR popularity is because she is on a tv show and that will be gone when she isn't in the spotlight anymore.  

Long story short, they can not live without the show so they will do anything to perpetuate it...

• Love 15
On 4/6/2020 at 5:44 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Joan, you have read my mind, once again!  Love your post.

Maddie is the type that will tell her kids how she suffered spewing them out.  I do not ever remember my mother telling me that, and I didn't tell my own kid how it hurt, either.  I hope she's two and done, Maddie the Martyr.  

My mom told me that while she was in labor with me, She was looking for poison to drink! Lol (but I was much older, and done having my own kids)

• LOL 7
On 4/7/2020 at 5:29 AM, aimlessbird said:

Yeah, I keep thinking Kody can't go any lower and yet he always does.  He enjoyed that therapy session and being incredibly cruel to Meri while playing the bamboozled victim.  He had all those little speeches prepared and rehearsed, just like he did the day of the big fight at Coyote Pass.

I am not a Meri fan at all but Kody was so nasty during that therapy session that I actually felt some sympathy for her.

Kody and Meri have had a very unhappy and dysfunctional relationship (in addition to the usual polygamy dysfunction) relationship for years and after that therapy session where he threw the truth right at Keri and hit her square in the face, she should have no doubt he is D.O.N.E. and wants nothing to do with her.  Has she finally gotten the hint that it's time to move on and out?

Do y'all think she will still stick around?  What excuse or reasoning will she have for staying?  Will she stick with the religious excuse and promise of an afterlife on planet Kody where he'll still be in charge of her unhappiness?  It's hard for me to accept anyone would stay in a relationship where all parties are unhappy, dare I say, hate each other.  Is she so wishy--washy that she can't or won't make a decision?  After that session with Nancy, why would she stay?  Financial?  No confidence?  Stubborn?  Stupid?  Spite? 

I think she'll stay.  Even if/when the show ends, I think she'll stick around, but he even more distant from the family than she is now.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
On 4/6/2020 at 4:48 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

Kody can not want them to take on loans, but it’s not up to him.  I took out all my loans under my own name—my parents didn’t sign a thing.  There is a lot of money for the taking out there as long as you sign on the dotted line.  I had no credit and I was able to finance three years at an expensive private law school “just because.”  

I would never, ever, ever, ever give back my law school years for anything—no matter that I’m in debt now; it’s not like credit card debt, it’s very malleable.   So maybe my experience has varied from others.  

I just think it’s an old school mentality to wait until you can afford school to go there.  It’s very smart to get things on credit.  If I waited to get a higher education until I could afford it,  I would still be waitressing and bartending in order to afford tuition, and I would be entering college when I was around forty, which is when the average person’s earning potential skyrockets.  Having my education paid for in advance gives me the same earning potential of the fortunate sons, if you will, so it’s actually really democratic.

The problem with the Browns is that they spend their money—whether it’s cash or credit—on very stupid shit, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t make a ton of sense to finance things without the cash on hand.  If someone can’t tell the difference between Victoria’s Secret and university, they should probably go for neither.  

I just know that I think it’s a great investment for a gorgeous girl who is living within a razor’s edge of neglect (which is a form of abuse) as a nomad with a cacophony of other children and women who are spiteful and a father who doesn’t give a shit to take this opportunity and run with it.  It’s like an educational version of “here’s your one chance / Fancy don’t let me down.” 😀

And this isn’t politically correct of me, but I don’t care, because it’s about the future of a young woman—I think it’s a great investment to spend more on a private institute of higher learning than the closest state school, because you become exposed to people of means, many of whom are very generous and you sort of get to be rich by osmosis, which allows you (or at least it allowed me) to dream bigger for yourself than you ever could have imagined.  Going to a prestigious school also provides the student who took out the loans with post-collegiate networking opportunities, which ups their opportunity to get a better, higher-paying job so that they can afford to re-pay the loans, and then there’s the obvious—it’s highly likely that she can meet her future husband at college, and she can very well set herself up for life if she selects a mate who shows intelligence and a great disposition for hard work.  

My bottom line—Ysabel is not stuck there in her dark, dank home in Flagstaff.  If she wants to become another Brown victim/statistic and take classes commuting to the local college from Christine’s house and maybe becoming a sister-wife of her own, do it!  But don’t let it be said you didn’t have other options.  Free will is a beautiful thing.   There are always excuses why something isn’t prudent or safe—people gave me a million reasons to stay home and get my education, and I came from a very normal family—but you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet, and if I were her, I’d bet on myself long before I bet on any of those losers. 

You’ve been very honest I’m going to be very honest with you. 

I know you from a message board and I know Ysabel from a reality tv show. Record stands- you’re a lot smarter than she is. 

Theyre not talking Chapel Hill- they’re talking normal college. Like the kind I went to. She can thrive and do all kinds of stuff should she choose. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Isn't Dayton the only one who's out of high school - and he's what? First year of college? And has special needs. I wouldn't necessarily expected her kids to have flown the coop yet.

I believe she justified wanting a larger 6 bedroom house because the plan is for the girls to also live at home while they attend college. 

8 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Sleeping until noon suggests depression, not a perfect life.  And who knows how orderly, methodical & reserved the house is while she is sleeping the day away.

• Love 4

I think the main reason for selling the Vegas McMansions and moving to Flagstaff was $$$$$...their mortgage payments were about to go though the roof and they simply couldn't afford it.... It was move or get hauled out by your feet kicking and screaming. 😂

think Robin chose Flagstaff for Day'un 

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I think the main reason for selling the Vegas McMansions and moving to Flagstaff was $$$$$...their mortgage payments were about to go though the roof and they simply couldn't afford it.... It was move or get hauled out by your feet kicking and screaming. 😂

think Robin chose Flagstaff for Day'un 

The problem with this logic that they couldn't refinance/afford their mortgages is that they now have mortgaged MORE real estate in Flagstaff than they had mortgaged in Las Vegas.

Total of all houses in Las Vegas: $1,779,071

Total of Coyote Pass, Christine's house and Robyn's house in Flagstaff: $2,230,000

If they could be approved for $2.2 million in Flagstaff then they could have remortgaged $1.7 million in Las Vegas.

But then again who understands crazy Kody's real estate logic?

Edited by smarty2020
  • Useful 5
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

The problem with this logic that they couldn't refinance/afford their mortgages is that they now have mortgaged MORE real estate in Flagstaff than they had mortgaged in Las Vegas.

Total of Coyote Pass, Christine's house and Robyn's house in Flagstaff: $2,230,000

If they could be approved for $2.2 million in Flagstaff then they could have remortgaged $1.7 million in Las Vegas.

Not to mention the multiple moves. Not cheap, even with Brown(wo)man power. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Sleeping until noon suggests depression, not a perfect life.  And who knows how orderly, methodical & reserved the house is while she is sleeping the day away.

Sleeping until noon made me think of the Yogi bear song... Unfortunately it would work better for Janelle than Robyn....

"Janelle will sleep til noon but before it's dark she'll have every picnic basket in Jellystone Park"

I think quarantine is frying my brain.. 😂

What's up with this sleeping until noon and up all night?... Is it STILL because of Aereola?..... Wtf? She's not a baby anymore... Is King Sol in Robyn's bed too?  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

I believe she justified wanting a larger 6 bedroom house because the plan is for the girls to also live at home while they attend college. 

And Robyn isn't letting go of those girls (or Dayton for that matter) until SHE is ready or they have Robyn approved spouses.

• Love 11
41 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

Robyn somehow came up with a little over $222,000 to put down on her Flagstaff home.  She paid around $440,000 for Las Vegas and sold for $603,000. Out of that $603,000 came real estate fees and carrying costs for the time it was on the market.  

The only thing I can surmise is that she either salted money away when they were "in the chips" with TLC and earning (haha) the big bucks we have heard rumored, or she paid her mortgage down on anniversary dates, as some mortgages permit.  Unless she paid her mortgage down, there simply wasn't enough equity in the house to come up with the $222,000.  

Edited by Sandy W
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, KnoxForPres said:

You’ve been very honest I’m going to be very honest with you. 

I know you from a message board and I know Ysabel from a reality tv show. Record stands- you’re a lot smarter than she is. 

Theyre not talking Chapel Hill- they’re talking normal college. Like the kind I went to. She can thrive and do all kinds of stuff should she choose. 

Good point that perhaps my ambitions for Ysabel were a little...ambitious.  I was watching the Jeopardy! College Tournament and there was this really super cute blonde Ysabel type from Missouri, who represented Ole Miss, and she was also a little on the larger side, like Ysbael, but she was full of confidence, and she said during the little interview segment that she was studying Arabic so that she could marry a rich sheik, and I was like, “oh my God, that’s so awesome, she’s so awesome for shooting high.  Ysabel should totally do this!”

And it was only in the aftermath that I said to myself, “girl, what are you thinking?  This teenaged girl is on national TV for being brilliant; why do you assume everyone can do this?”  And, so yeah, I see your point.  I may have been projecting onto Ysabel’s ability something I wanted her to have, in the absence of evidence that she had it.  

I get this from my dad, so I know I am guilty of thinking that young beautiful women can take the world by storm, when in reality some of them can and some of them are just young and beautiful, and some of their lives become horror stories, just like any other segment of society.

I just hope she doesn’t become a sister wife!   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

That pantry was a mess and that does not suggest orderly.  The packing does not suggest orderly.  

I think sobbin's girls do most of the heavy lifting housework wise.  Just a guess.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I was watching the Jeopardy! College Tournament and there was this really super cute blonde Ysabel type from Missouri, who represented Ole Miss, and she was also a little on the larger side, like Ysbael, but she was full of confidence, and she said during the little interview segment that she was studying Arabic so that she could marry a rich sheik

I think that is asking for JUST as much trouble as marrying a polygamist.  But that's just my opinion.

• LOL 7
  • Love 10

young beautiful women can take the world by storm

So can old, less conventionally attractive women (see also Bader Ginsburg, Ruth).

she was studying Arabic so that she could marry a rich sheik

Or, you know, earn her own money.

• Love 15
46 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

So can old, less conventionally attractive women (see also Bader Ginsburg, Ruth).

I meant “take the world by storm” in a positive way, so though I strongly disagree with the example put forth, I agree with your point.  Though I don’t think I commented on relative ability or inability of anyone but young, beautiful women, so, I didn’t think I had to qualify my statement with regard to all people.  I thought it went without saying.  But to clarify my view, here goes:

I think all people can be successful and all people can be jacked up, regardless of their demographic.  I think Abraham Lincoln may have said that once.  😄

46 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Or, you know, earn her own money.

But...that’s not what the young woman on Jeopardy! said.  I can’t put words in her mouth, nor do I want to.  

@Kyanight I forgot that a lot of sheiks were polygamists!  Good point.  Also ironic.  I guess I liked the spirit of what the young woman said—the ambition behind it.  I liked that she had a plan, even if it was a naive one.  It reminded me of the clinical psychologist Jordan Peterson, who said a bad plan is better than no plan at all, so I guess I hope she continues to study Arabic, which is a very important language, but tightens up her plan.  I can use the advice myself! 😉

Edited by LibertarianSlut
Typos
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Do you think Kody is on the 2am to noon sleep schedule, too? 

Yep.   That was Robyn's reason for being a night owl. She said that because Kody's business crossed time zones, his hours were dictated by that and she stayed up for him.  He must be doing business overseas because hours of commerce in the eastern US would require him to be up earlier, not later.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

"Kody's business crossed time zones"?  Who is she trying to kid?  Does she imagine for a hot second that we believe he's some sort of international tycoon?  More like an international buffoon.

Not to mention IF Kody took turns with the other wives she would only need to stay up maybe one or two nights a week.  I call "bull" on her excuse.  Maybe Kody IS a night owl, but she just keeps providing more and more evidence that she is the only "wife".

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Yep.   That was Robyn's reason for being a night owl. She said that because Kody's business crossed time zones, his hours were dictated by that and she stayed up for him.  He must be doing business overseas because hours of commerce in the eastern US would require him to be up earlier, not later.

Kody lives in Arizona.  We are on Mountain Standard Time, and we don't change our clocks twice a year.

The only "time zones" his "business" crosses are when the rest of the country goes to Daylight Savings Time.  Sometimes we're the same time as California (Pacific Time Zone), and the rest of the time we're an hour ahead of them.  

But that's probably as much of a challenge as Kody can handle, and it keeps him up nights trying to figure it out.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Kody lives in Arizona.  We are on Mountain Standard Time, and we don't change our clocks twice a year.

The only "time zones" his "business" crosses are when the rest of the country goes to Daylight Savings Time.  Sometimes we're the same time as California (Pacific Time Zone), and the rest of the time we're an hour ahead of them.  

But that's probably as much of a challenge as Kody can handle, and it keeps him up nights trying to figure it out.

That's why I think his business must be overseas.  China is 15 hours ahead of AZ time so if he is conducting business at midnight AZ time, it would be 9AM the next day in China, similar if the business is centered in India, which is 12.5  hours ahead.

• Useful 3
On 4/7/2020 at 1:25 PM, deirdra said:

I did love it when Savannah said  to the camera a week or two ago: "my Dad's a scatterbrain

My fave quote of the season was Truley looking directly at the camera and saying "my mom is loco in the coco."

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

That's why I think his business must be overseas.  China is 15 hours ahead of AZ time so if he is conducting business at midnight AZ time, it would be 9AM the next day in China, similar if the business is centered in India, which is 12.5  hours ahead.

IMO, his only "business" is trying to negotiate next year's contract with TLC.  The show is produced by Puddle Monkey Productions (ironic, given the "water feature" on their land) which is based out of Salt Lake City, and Figure 8 Films - based out of North Carolina.

Kody refers to himself as a "salesman."  IIRC, he used to sell advertising in something like a Penny Saver when they lived in Utah.  I can't imagine him trying to sell anything more challenging than that. 

To paraphrase Macbeth:

[Kody is] but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

We often speak of someone's 15 minutes of fame.  Kody has had a whole hour, and he probably fears that he will soon be heard no more.  I hope that's true.

• Love 19
14 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

IMO, his only "business" is trying to negotiate next year's contract with TLC.  The show is produced by Puddle Monkey Productions (ironic, given the "water feature" on their land) which is based out of Salt Lake City, and Figure 8 Films - based out of North Carolina.

Kody refers to himself as a "salesman."  IIRC, he used to sell advertising in something like a Penny Saver when they lived in Utah.  I can't imagine him trying to sell anything more challenging than that. 

To paraphrase Macbeth:

[Kody is] but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

We often speak of someone's 15 minutes of fame.  Kody has had a whole hour, and he probably fears that he will soon be heard no more.  I hope that's true.

At the time the show first aired Kody worked as a salesman for the company that does the neon lights for the Vegas casinos. They're based in Utah. I got the impression that he wasn't let go because of the show per se, but because he neglected his clients as a result and wasn't applying himself. Remember one episode in Season 2 where he took the day off to attend a parent/teacher meeting? It got cancelled and he said ON AIR that he was just going to sluff off the rest of the day instead of going back to work. I'm sure that didn't sit well with his employer.

• Love 10

I guess I liked the spirit of what the young woman said—the ambition behind it.  I liked that she had a plan, even if it was a naive one.  It reminded me of the clinical psychologist Jordan Peterson, who said a bad plan is better than no plan at all, so I guess I hope she continues to study Arabic, which is a very important language, but tightens up her plan.

I take your point - plans are good. I just think "marry a rich guy" is a lousy plan for self-improvement. I guess it's a sort of ambition but I myself would prefer a plan based on something more substantive and lasting than youth and beauty. YMMV.

Going back to your original point - Ysabel. I can't keep all the Brown offspring clear in my mind but I don't think that Ysabel needs to hitch her wagon to the stars of rich people. If she has a halfway decent brain and a good work ethic, she can find a career path she enjoys, pursue higher education (even coming from a family that lacks the means and/or the willingness to finance it) and be successful. She can do this without relying on her beauty to snag a rich mate or taking out huge loans to rub elbows with the hoi polloi hoping that they may one day accept her as one of their own. 

IMO, his only "business" is trying to negotiate next year's contract with TLC.  

Completely agree. That and moving his debt from one place to another to make minimum monthly payments manageable. 

I think sobbin's girls do most of the heavy lifting housework wise.  Just a guess.

Wasn't a cousin or a niece or someone living with them at one point to help with the kids and the household chores? Or do I have that confused with another branch of the Brown family tree?

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Elizzikra said:

Wasn't a cousin or a niece or someone living with them at one point to help with the kids and the household chores? Or do I have that confused with another branch of the Brown family tree?

No, you are correct.  She couldn't handle the mundane wifely/motherly chores that interfered with pampering herself.  It was her niece, Mindy.

• Love 9

I think if Kody had any halfway successful business, outside of being on the show, we would know about it. He would be using the show or twitter or any type of social media for publicity. He has never shown himself to be any type of successful businessman. I think this family jumps around from one MLM to another because all they need is the start-up costs.

I think what this family is good at is finding loopholes for credit and mortgages and anything that involves using someone else’s money. My guess is they fill out every credit card application they receive, take out any loan they can find and just move money around. I wouldn’t be surprised if the coyote parcels of land that were bought outright don’t now have mortgages on them. This people have no financial sense whatsoever. What do they do now that the economy is tanking, credit will dry up, TLC will likely start cutting back on waste (this show) to save money  and people who buy those ugly leggings and shirts will likely have to stop because they need the money for everyday expenses? What do the Browns then do? They seem to have no backup plan and no work ethic and I don’t see how, without the show, they could afford the mortgage on Robyn’s House, let alone supporting the whole family.

• Love 15
56 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

At the time the show first aired Kody worked as a salesman for the company that does the neon lights for the Vegas casinos. They're based in Utah. 

Here's what I'm basing my comment on.

"Although he never flat-out said what his occupation was, it was implied that he was in online advertising sales (where Radar reports he made about $4,000 a month) before Sister Wives debuted. Before that, E! News found that he was the president of Das Hundhaus Firearms and Accessories. In 2005 though, before the show ever began filming, Kody and Meri reportedly filed for bankruptcy."

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Here's what I'm basing my comment on.

"Although he never flat-out said what his occupation was, it was implied that he was in online advertising sales (where Radar reports he made about $4,000 a month) before Sister Wives debuted. Before that, E! News found that he was the president of Das Hundhaus Firearms and Accessories. In 2005 though, before the show ever began filming, Kody and Meri reportedly filed for bankruptcy."

I wonder where their LIV Water business fits in all of this.  It's another MLM scheme which periodically show up in an episode.  They made a few references to it in early shows, then when Truely lay dying of dehydration, he flippantly told Aspyn to give her some Liv Water. 

Although it was never mentioned on the show, that was the pretext that the catfish used when she first approached Meri, interested in her boss "Sam" becoming a distributor.  How utterly dumb and naive of Meri to think that a multi-millionaire would be interested in an MLM sideline.

I missed it but someone here noticed a bottle of this product sitting on one of the kitchen counters in a scene a few weeks ago.

Maybe the product is produced off-shore or maybe Kody has dreams of developing this into an international biz.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I wonder where their LIV Water business fits in all of this. 

I suspect they started getting into the MLM crap when they thought they had become famous by being TV stars.  They were all carrying those LIV bottles around, and they were in the background of so many shots.  However, TLC probably wouldn't let them talk about it on camera to provide free advertising.

After LIV ran its course, LulaRoe reared its ugly (literally) clothing line.  Janelle's "Strive" business is similar . . . thinking people would pay for advice from her just because she's "famous."  Never mind the fact that she hasn't lost an ounce that anyone can tell, and her advice is ridiculous.

Grifters gonna grift.

• Love 15