Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E14: Baby Steps

Kohola3
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

The only one who tweeted last night during the show was Janelle. Nothing interesting, so I won’t even bother.

I noticed that too. Nothing from Kody or Robyn.  I wonder what Mariah thought of it all, since she had to sit and watch the show with her mom in Flagstaff.

1 hour ago, suomi said:

I had a thought tonight - why isn't this show paired with one of those watching shows? Like they do with 90 Day Fiancee or Before The 90 Days or whatever that watching show is, where people talk back to the screen as they watch?

Now THAT is some satisfying TV! I would seriously come out of my anonymous mode, for free, to do that. Be still, my heart. 

90 Day Fiance Pillow Talk!!  They totally need that for Sister Wives.

• Love 15

I sincerely hope that Aspyn is taking a good hard look at what happens to the first wife who is not suited to this lifestyle. She could easlly become a bitter jealous woman if and when her husband gets the itch to find a new wife. Aspyn is lovely and seems well grounded and hasn't she finished college? So why in God'sname would she let herself be forced into something that she has said she wants no part of? 

• Love 23
15 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Why would the non-legal wives need to give up their info? I mean Robyn IS the LEGAL wife if ya'll didn't know. So did everyone have to pony up info for Janelle's and Christine's house? This is very confusing and I know nothing about unreality estate.

the only thing I can gather is that they are all co-signers, which means that they all need to give up their financial info, NOT because they are polygs. But then again I don't know how many co-signers you can have but that's the only reason I can figure they needed everyone's info.  Robin is an idiot. Be able to afford it yourself and you won't have that issue! 

10 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Kody said that he and Mary had a very fast courtship and that he really didn’t know who he was marrying. He felt tricked.  Given that they’ve been married for over 29 years, I wonder how long it to took him to come to that realization.  I am not surprised to hear that some of the older kids don’t want anything to do with Meri.  It’s most likely based on the way she treated them and their moms.

So I'm currently watching old episodes and it comes out that before they started filming Kody and Meri had a falling out but one of the wives (either Janelle or Christine) told Kody that he needs to work on his marriage.  However... when Robin comes along Christine has a really hard time because Robin's courting was when Truly was born and Christine felt left behind.  She then talked to Meri in which Meri told her basically that mean are stupid and that Christine has to pretend things are ok and try to move on and MAYBE eventually Kody will see the error of his ways.

Now at this time it seems like Meri and Kody have a really good relationship. They laugh, smile and kiss a lot. Call each other 'lover'.  It also seems like all the wives have a good relationship. Meri and Robin are BFFs and every once in awhile all 4 go out for lunch and they seem to be having a good time and laughing.  

WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPENED!?!?!? It's like their dream of a culdesac made them grow apart. 

Also, if you look back you can see that Kody has had major issues with every wife at some point. 

10 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

Nancy is officially the worst therapist in the world. Kody finally started telling the truth, asking why Meri has such great relationships with her Lularoe friends but bad relationships with not just the other wives but some of the older kids. Instead of further delving into this, which is obviously a big sticking point with Kody, Nancy wants to take a break and then resumes with some bullshit exercise. Worthless.

You do realize there's this thing called editing, right?? They likely can't show her talking about her LLR friends or any friends of that matter. I think it would require a release from them. 

9 hours ago, fountain said:

I actually don’t mind Meri. I certainly don’t fault her for wanting her share of shit even though she only has one kid because I wouldn’t be okay with being on tv and not getting 1/5th of the money. In her more relaxed moments she seems pretty funny and friendly. I would totally watch a spin off show of Meri as a single lady.

Single Meri would probably be a lot of fun.  Meri around her family is a wet blanket.  Watching the old episodes it seemed like Meri took on the mom role of reprimanding children when their own mom wouldn't do it. Funny thing, at one point Meri yelled at all the kids for something and Christine said she didn't think it was the time or place to do it and Kody said he was glad Meri did it. 

5 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

During the session with Nancy you could tell Kody can't stand Meri.... JMO but I think he's trying to dump her without too many repercussions from Meri's fans.👹👺😈😲

I think he's too 'proud' to end the marriage, not to mention make him look really bad. He probably looks down on polyg husbands that divorce a wife, thinks they aren't man enough to keep their family together. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
(edited)

They must have had those UHauls for around 5 weeks.  They moved out of the rental around July 26th but they didn't officially close on the new house until August 30th.  

Edited by smarty2020
  • Useful 8
(edited)
20 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

They must have had those UHauls for around 5 weeks.  They moved out of the rental around July 26th but they didn't officially close on the new house until August 30th.  

Jeez that's a lot of cash. Even with a weekly rate, those looked like 26 foot trucks, the largest U Haul rents. A 26 ft truck will run you about $50-60 a day. So if they paid $50/day x 2 x 35 days that would be 3500, plus taxes and insurance !!!! Insanity.  They would have been better off getting a couple of pods.  

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

And the new house came fully furnished, so unloading the trucks would not have been quick.  I can imagine Robyn dithering and Kody arguing about each couch, chair, table, bed, dresser etc.; which of the new vs. the old to keep. They will probably need storage space for the excess.

If I were Janelle, I wouldn't call Kody until after Evie is born.  He's worse than useless.  With Caleb, Janelle, Christine & Ysabel there to help, Kody would just be one big baby added to their workload. Ysabel & Christine can scope out ECU and other colleges while they are there 😉

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 17
(edited)

I've said this before, but I have to say again that regardless of the TLC $$, if Meri actually met and fell for a real guy who was truly interested in pursuing a mutually romantic relationship with her, she would say SCREW TLC and leave. Actually, she'd probably still get the TLC check as they'd want to follow up with her and the new guy. 

But again, she's such an unpleasant bitch, not very physically attractive, with nothing to offer really, that I highly doubt she has, or would have, much interest from eligible men, especially given they'd have to deal with Kody and Mariah. Most guys probably wouldn't even want to go on a first date after watching her emote on this season's crapfest. No matter if she says "I just do that for the show." Ummmmm no.

Also I doubt most guys would want to have their personal lives on trash TV for any amount of money. 

Dating is hard especially at Meri's age even when you have good qualities. I know that for a fact! I'm living it right now. 😕

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, TakeAPinotGrigio said:

Y'know what's riveting TV? 

Week 1: Carefully park U-Hauls back to back at Prairie Dog Plague Pass

Week 2: Return to U-Hauls, still parked back-to-back, open 2 of them, poke uselessly at their overstuffed contents, talk about pillows, close U-hauls.

What will next week bring?  I can hardly wait!  Will they open the other 2 U-Hauls?  Move the U-Hauls?  Swim with the U-Hauls in the cow-shit drainage bucolic pond? I have to stop; I'm getting myself over-excited.

Next week you get an hour of Maddie screaming with each contraction.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

I'd love to see a special with all the kids who have left this shitstorm, but only if they would be honest about their thoughts and feelings re their family. Odd ( but thankful) that we haven't seen fat Tony and whichever one he's married to (Mykelti?) Surely they'd like that Lifetime paycheck. If I never see Mariah again I'd consider that a gift. And I never want to see Maddie's labor again, thank you.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Lady of nod said:

I'd love to see a special with all the kids who have left this shitstorm, but only if they would be honest about their thoughts and feelings re their family. Odd ( but thankful) that we haven't seen fat Tony and whichever one he's married to (Mykelti?) Surely they'd like that Lifetime paycheck. If I never see Mariah again I'd consider that a gift. And I never want to see Maddie's labor again, thank you.

I doubt we'll ever see that. Logan is gone, for all intents and purposes. The only time he showed up this season was in an old photo of the older kids.  His social media is private and he along with his fiance made it clear that their wedding will NOT be on the show. 

The military boys (that's pretty much all the other adult male kids except Gabe and Dayton) have pretty much left the reservation. Hunter and Paedon showed up once I think? At Christmas? Don't remember seeing Garrison. He was baptized into LDS so he's probably forbidden to be on the show now. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

The military boys (that's pretty much all the other adult male kids except Gabe and Dayton) have pretty much left the reservation. Hunter and Paedon showed up once I think? At Christmas? Don't remember seeing Garrison. He was baptized into LDS so he's probably forbidden to be on the show now.

Garrison is there in the Christmas "Big house presentation" episode.  You can just catch him when the camera sweeps the room....just.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Maddie and Caleb must need the TLC check, that is why we have to endure another birth filled with screaming and groaning.  The other older children have walked away from the show.   I just don't understand these people, Janelle flies to Maddie's side and does not bring Savannah, but Christine brings Ysabel.  Savannah is the full sister why not bring her?  I just don't understand their relationships.  Also, they waste so much money flying back and forth, does Kody really need to be there for the birth?  

Meri and Kody are done.  IMO Kody feels cheated on with the whole catfish thing and will never forgive Meri.  Not sure what older kids don't really care for Meri but she seems to only endear herself to Robyn's two youngest.  

Christine and Janelle seem to have the closest relationship.  Meri does not like any of them and would walk away but she would be alone.  

• Love 16
1 minute ago, LucyEth said:

Meri and Kody are done.  IMO Kody feels cheated on with the whole catfish thing and will never forgive Meri.  

Kody was pretty much done with Meri when he met Sobs. Before that, he could run to Meri's house to escape, and use to hang with Meri just to get away from the brood. Once Sobby came along, Kootie was smitten. Janelle and Christine were like, whatevs, but Meri was really hurt, cuz she knew that Kootie wouldn't be hanging with her anymore. 

• Love 18
11 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Janelle flies to Maddie's side and does not bring Savannah, but Christine brings Ysabel.  Savannah is the full sister why not bring her?  I just don't understand their relationships. 

I suspect that Ysabel was brought to help watch Axel and most likely the choices come down to which children have things going on back home and who can travel. Why Kody?  His greatest need is to be the center of ALL the attention...always.

As for Savannah.  I get the impression that she and Maddie have no closeness at all.  I still see her at Maddies wedding saying "well. I'm the sister of the bride, I guess that is something"

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Also, they waste so much money flying back and forth, does Kody really need to be there for the birth?  

There's been a lot of discussion here about how unimpressive the midwife is.  That's not a problem.  We all know that Kody HAS to be there to walk Caleb through the birthing process . . . again.  "The baby is going to be slippery when it comes out, so put your hands RIGHT HERE and cup them like this."

Regarding the purchase of the new house for K&R.  Any basic credit check on the two of them would have brought up the fact that Kody is also a co-signer on multiple other real estate loans (some involving Robyn, some not).  The lending company is just doing due diligence to check on how much HE makes, and how much the others make (can they pay their mortgages based on THEIR income without Kody?).  

We were once buying a car and when they pulled up our credit rating (which has always been excellent), there was a long list of late payments, non-payments, etc.  Welcome to the world of finance when you name your son Mr. AZC Jr.  We had to get the lender to confirm the SSN for each account to prove it wasn't us.

I can't imagine what a list of Kody's financial dealings look like.

• Love 19
On 3/31/2020 at 5:15 PM, Soaper410 said:

I was in the hospital over a week before I had my daughter due to me developing a serious medical condition.  They kept me on the L&D ward.  I became close to many nurses and heard lots of stuff during my 12 days on the ward (but couldn't see anything outside of my room for 12 days). 

Every time I would hear SCREAMING, every nurse on the floor would come in to "reassure" me.  They would say "she's decided to go the natural root" or "despite everyone telling her, she's didn't want the epidural." Many of the nurses said that a lot of these women had weren't doing it for any reason other than to PROVE how strong and awesome mamas they were.  

This is Maddie to me.  Let me moan and scream and keep myself awake for DAYS to truly be miserable to prove how awesome I am.  Its one of those crazy fundamentalist/Evangelical things that drives me nuts. 

Not diminishing a woman's decision to have a natural birth, but, I've heard multiple doctors say, You can have a birth with a lot of pain or you can have a birth with much less pain.  It's your choice. lol  I still think many mothers like Maddie do it because they want to get a reaction from someone, like, Oh, you are brave, tough, admirable....or maybe, it's something in their culture.  It just doesn't seem to be based on a lot of fact, despite all the jargon they use.  Plus, I wonder how much money incentive it is for Maddie from TLC., although, I hope that is not the primary factor. 

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Kody was pretty much done with Meri when he met Sobs. Before that, he could run to Meri's house to escape, and use to hang with Meri just to get away from the brood. Once Sobby came along, Kootie was smitten. Janelle and Christine were like, whatevs, but Meri was really hurt, cuz she knew that Kootie wouldn't be hanging with her anymore. 

I agree he was done with Meri not long after he married Robyn, but on the wedding day with Robyn, the chemistry between Kody and Meri was vomit inducing, like they had jumped each other's bones that morning (which I am 100% certain they did) and even Meri said she wished it was *her wedding day presumably so they could do it again later. SO awkward. Then they went to say their private goodbye and Robyn sniffed it out in her unbustled wedding dress immediately and intervened. I think that was the beginning of the end.

• Love 16
(edited)

I now, more than ever, suspect that something happened after the catfish though.  I recall how Kody seemed to defend Meri after the catfish story came out.  He personally, begged Mariah to forgive her mother and to not shut her out of her life, saying that she's your mother and made a mistake,  If he had not intervened, Mariah would likely not have spoken to her mother again for a long time.  THEN, we see that down the road, Kody grows intolerant of Meri.  What happened?  Was there a new incident?  Did Meri not work on changing her ways? Did she keep those WALL UP, even though she was in extensive therapy to bring them down?  I wonder if her selfish demands for money with the B&B was the last straw..........Whatever it is, Meri is only there for TLC money, imo.  That's the tie that binds them now and not vows, imo.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 17

Was just reading over on Live Chat thread. (I didn't know you could post there after the live show is over.) But, anyway, I now wonder if the sentiments of the adult kids is a reason for Kody's new found disdain for Meri.  Considering some of the tweets from some of the adult kids, I wonder if after years of silence, the adult kids finally voiced their opinion of Meri. 

Regardless of his faults, when the children have appeared on the show before and spoke about Kody, they seemed free to speak their mind about things.  They were free to criticize the family, Kody and plural marriage, which they have done. But, they always seemed to love their father and believed that he was a good dad.  I'm trying to recall if any of them ever said that about Meri.  Mariah seems to not even be a fan of Meri. 

• Love 6

I'm not a fan of Robyn, but, I don't see her as getting her way with having Kody full time. I haven't seen that on the show and it doesn't even seem like she would want it. She's more than irritated by him and seems to be revulsed by his every word this season.   What we have seen is a happier and more engaged Christine and Janelle.  Robyn is the one who is seething with misery.  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, suomi said:

Meri and Kody are two years apart in age but did not attend the same high school and were not high school sweethearts. 

"On Oct. 20, 1989, I met up with my new friend who was visiting from out of town. At that time, she introduced me to Kody, her brother. During that weekend while she was visiting, the three of us hung out together, shopping, going to movies and just having fun together. After she went home, I figured that would probably be the last I would see of Kody for a while. Not so!" explained Meri on the official show page.

Meri said she fell for Brown when she was 19.

"A couple weeks later on Christmas Eve - yes, two months after we met - he gave me a ring and asked me to marry him," she added.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/kody-brown-sister-wives/story?id=38331357

At that same link to excerpts from their book, listen to Janelle omit her marriage to Meri's brother:

"Meri had brought him to a gathering to introduce him to her friends. When he walked into the room I looked at him and had that feeling of remembering something I had forgotten. It was a singular experience," she writes.

"It didn't occur to me when I met Kody to think of him in any other way than as Meri's fiance. I even attended Meri and Kody's wedding reception. I had known Meri's family for several years before the night I met Kody so it was natural for me to be at their house from time to time. Over the next few years I would see them occasionally. Eventually, Kody and I became as good of friends as Meri and I were," she added.

Is this an accidental admission that she was lusting after Kody while married to Meri’s brother?

1 hour ago, LucyEth said:

Maddie and Caleb must need the TLC check, that is why we have to endure another birth filled with screaming and groaning.  The other older children have walked away from the show.   I just don't understand these people, Janelle flies to Maddie's side and does not bring Savannah, but Christine brings Ysabel.  Savannah is the full sister why not bring her?  I just don't understand their relationships.  Also, they waste so much money flying back and forth, does Kody really need to be there for the birth?  

Meri and Kody are done.  IMO Kody feels cheated on with the whole catfish thing and will never forgive Meri.  Not sure what older kids don't really care for Meri but she seems to only endear herself to Robyn's two youngest.  

Christine and Janelle seem to have the closest relationship.  Meri does not like any of them and would walk away but she would be alone.  

I’ve speculated that Savannah takes after her older sister, Maddie. She has no interest in caring for toddlers, and simply won’t. Ysabel has experience helping with Truely. 

• Love 3
(edited)

What was it that Janelle said about the heat in Greenville?  It IS A FIERCE heat.  I lived there one year in a dorm (ECU) with NO AIR conditioning!!!! This was many years ago, before they instituted humane conditions. lol  I cannot describe the misery.  It's often 100 degrees or more and very high humidity.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I couldn't tell you what happened in this episode because I couldn't get past the grammar.  There are subject pronouns and object pronouns,  The subject ones are used to indicate the doer of the action, the subject.  The object ones follow the action or the preposition.  So it's not "between she and I", it's "between her and me."  I think the Browns (and countless others) think they sound "smart" by using the incorrect pronoun, because it naturally sounds wrong, therefore must be smarter.  It drives me insane.  This family's butchering of the English language is horrific.  Makes me really question their schooling.

Stay tuned for next week, it's an episode of  lets guess what the Brushes are trying to say: more adventures in mouth-full-of-marbles mumbling.

• LOL 6
  • Love 16
13 hours ago, suomi said:

I think Meri was a bitch to everyone from the beginning and the others reacted to that. I don't think the others treated her like she was a bitch so she became one. 

She may have been that way always, but I can pretty much guarantee that if Mr Twopper were to take as a second wife my former SIL  I would be the queen of BITCHDOM.    I am sure it just became a vicious cycle with her bitching at people and their bitching back.  I dislike Kody and Janelle even more than I dislike Robyn.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:59 AM, Sandy W said:

I am literally dreading Maddie's pedantic explanations of her prodromal labor.   With Axel, it was 80 hours of her Braxton Hicks that we endured right along with her before she actually got down to business and went into actual labor.

And now, Janelle has a new word of the day to impress us with, prod-ro-mal.  Thanks Maddie and Janelle, billions of people have over time been born without resorting to a $10 word to describe discomfort before actual labor.

Ha!!! I misheard prodromal as primordial. 

I would guess they chose the birthing center in Chapel Hill because it would allow filming, but I also think they felt like they needed to be near the UNC and Duke hospitals for this birth. 

14 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Ysabel should 100% go to school in NC or anywhere as physically far away as possible from her parents that she can afford—beg, borrow, or steal.  Kody doesn’t give one shit about Ysbael; what’s his game?  Now he’s characterizing Ysabel as “my” sixteen year old?  He has to be careful not to “draw the family east”?  He sounds like a Pinkerton Detective circa 1870.

There is no way in hell that the fambly will pay for Ysabel to go to college in NC.  If she wants to go to a state school in NC, she needs to move there as soon as she graduates from high school and work for a year to get state residency.   If she is a very good student, she could possibly qualify for a merit based scholarship at Duke, but those are hard to get.

I have yet to watch this episode as Mr Twopper and I are binge watching WestWorld.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

it's Kottie's job to try to help them to naviagte to a better place and to tell Mariah that it is not ok for her to publiclly bash another wife.

I agree since he thinks of himself as the head of the family and must be obeyed he should intervene with the family problems.  BTW did I miss something, who did Mariah bash?

She may have been that way always, but I can pretty much guarantee that if Mr Twopper were to take as a second wife my former SIL  I would be the queen of BITCHDOM.    I am sure it just became a vicious cycle with her bitching at people and their bitching back.  I dislike Kody and Janelle even more than I dislike Robyn.

No one should agree to be a plural wife EVER, but Meri has the means and ability to leave, and she's choosing to stay and be miserable, possibly to profit off the show. Meri has two businesses and a second residence, because she could live at the Inn while running it. We were shown last season that Meri does have family that shows up for her. And Mariah is grown and gone. Even if Mariah hated her for leaving, that is Mariah's problem at this point. The marriage is dead. Just go. The real problem is that Meri loves being the martyr and the victim. She feeds off the attention. She was only willing to leave when a catfish was offering more attention than her current situation. 

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, aimlessbird said:

Trust me.  Kody and Robyn are now living a monogamous lifestyle.  He lives at Robyn's full time now and Kody very occasionally visits Janelle and Christine's homes.

That could be true, I don't think Janelle would care, but not sure Christine wouldn't put up a fuss.

(edited)

Christine can put up all the fuss she wants.  That is when Kody ignores her.  Idolize the man, obey the man.  Or else.  Christine does not have a leg to stand on.  That is why she's been playing the Keep sweet and fun card for the past 2 years.

Edited by aimlessbird
left out a word
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

There is no way in hell that the fambly will pay for Ysabel to go to college in NC.  If she wants to go to a state school in NC, she needs to move there as soon as she graduates from high school and work for a year to get state residency.   If she is a very good student, she could possibly qualify for a merit based scholarship at Duke, but those are hard to get.

There’s always a way.  If she has the grades, she can go to ASU (in-state tuition approximately ten grand) or if that’s not far enough, UA’s in-state tuition is just above 12k.  If she can go to one of those for two years and get great grades, she can get a merit scholarship to a school in NC.  I don’t care where she goes; she just needs to get away from that toxic family IMO.  ASU seems too close, but it’s one of the biggest schools in the country, and very social, so I think she could blend in and meet people who are like-minded and just let them carry her away from her stupid, timid mom who never asserted Ysabel’s needs, because she was too busy worried about Stupendous Man, when SM wasn’t interesting in bettering either Christine or her kids.  

She really is a gorgeous girl, and I’m not saying that this is how the world should be, I’m just saying this is how it is:  if Ysabel can lose that 40 or 50 lbs she put on since two seasons ago, a lot of people will want to be her friend, she’ll have guys drooling over her, and opportunities will just sort of magically appear.  I’m not trying to toot my own horn, I’m not Christy Turlington, but when I went to school out of state for the first time, I worked really hard to show up for orientation as physically dope as I could be, and I worked very hard to maintain that look when I would have given up in the past, and I wasn’t surprised—I was shocked—at the amount of opportunities that came my way by virtue of upping my game from the way I had looked in-state.  And Ysabel is starting off with a better head of hair than I’ve ever had, so go girl!

Something else that shocked me that I never knew until I went to a really expensive private grad school is that you can almost always afford it, if you’re willing to take on the loans.  When I graduated from college, I didn’t have a penny to my name, but my parents weren’t poor, so I couldn’t show financial “need,” and I still got hundreds of thousands dollars in loans just by asking for them.  So, if Ysbael really wants this NC thing—if it’s her dream the way going to my private school in my city of choice was my dream—she can just saddle herself with debt and get out from under it if she gets a really good job when she graduates.  Very few people “can’t” afford a school; they’re just not willing to take on the debt.  To get away from this family though?  If I were her, I’d take on the freaking burden of the national deficit, and I’d still feel like I got the better end of the deal! 

• Love 6

I somehow doubt they'd be having those big Christmas/birthday/gender reveal gatherings if they weren't filming and getting TLC money.  Kody won't be paying to fly everyone home when he has no income coming in -- or his little income he will make if he goes back to being a "closer".

• Love 3

Ysabel's interested in East Carolina.  Tuition is about $28K out-of-state and $6K in-state.  Caleb declared it, "a good school," and said that she could live with them.  Christine said that Ysabel came on the trip, because she couldn't live away from Axel.  She'd be Mindy 2.0. 

Except for Mariah, all the Brown children went to local schools with in-state tuition or military service.  For her one semester or year, Maddie went to Utah State (or wherever) where she had a scholarship and there was reciprocity with NV.  

Remember: Kody doesn't want them to take out student loans, which aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy.  And, Robyn probably needs her to attend NAU, like Day'un and Gabe, to justify the move to Flagstaff.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

she can just saddle herself with debt and get out from under it if she gets a really good job when she graduates.  Very few people “can’t” afford a school; they’re just not willing to take on the debt.

I disagree - just because you can get credit extended to you (which is basically what student loans are) that doesn't mean you can afford it. This is exactly the mistake the Browns make - they are way overextended but somehow keep getting loans. They seem to ignore that one day they are going to have to pay that money back. When they get to a point of no longer being able to avoid payments, they can't make them (which is what I think happened with the Vegas houses). This thinking - that you can "afford" any college you want to attend if you take out astronomical loans is why there are so many former college students out there crushed under the weight of student debt. There are, as far as I can tell, relatively few jobs that pay well enough that one can actually afford to pay off that student debt and still live at least a middle class lifestyle in most parts of the country. Your experience may have been different but most of the people I know with big student loans regret them now that they are out of school and can't afford to buy a house or travel or do much besides live day to day and pay off those loans.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 22