Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: The Icewoman Cometh...

Pallas
  • Start Topic

In the original run and even in the Roseanne reboot itself, I felt like Bev was written as her usual annoying, somewhat cranky self. In the past few times she's been on The Conners, I feel as though she's been written as downright mean and spiteful. Not enjoying the shift.

I think Dan's reluctance at returning to the dating world, and his entire storyline involing Louise has been very realistic. I just wish they had more discussion between Becky and Dan on moving on from grief. 

• Love 23

"He's single because he wants to be. You're single because all the women had a meeting." LOL. 

Oh. That ending :(. Poor Dan. The talk he and Becky had was really nice and poignant (and really hit home on today of all days for our family). I love the moments when those two get to talk with each other. Whatever else happens between Dan and Louise going forward, I hope that they can get a chance to talk again, at the very least. 

Darlene's talk with Mark about not always noticing when he does good things felt very reminiscent of when Becky's good grades weren't a big deal to her parents because it was just so expected. I'm glad that Mark's going to get to go to that camp, though it's a shame that Bev wouldn't help all the kids out. No way would my grandma have acted like that. 

• Love 16

Dammit...they totally got me. I did NOT see that coming! Sitcoms always gotta do the love triangles for drama.

I'm glad Mark got the money just because it sucks to be the sibling who doesn't mess up and gets overlooked. Plus, Bev got his hopes up by telling him he was going to get the money. Of course, the fairest thing to do would be to give money to all four of her grandchildren rather than to just one of them. Especially if she can afford it.

3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

"He's single because he wants to be. You're single because all the women had a meeting." LOL. 

That got a big laugh out of me. Also, "women know how to get what they want. I've been asked to leave the room several times."

• Love 15
22 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Darlene's talk with Mark about not always noticing when he does good things felt very reminiscent of when Becky's good grades weren't a big deal to her parents because it was just so expected. I'm glad that Mark's going to get to go to that camp, though it's a shame that Bev wouldn't help all the kids out. No way would my grandma have acted like that. 

I wonder if Bev saw a bit of younger Becky in Mark and thought that it would be a good idea to help him so that he didn’t end up in a poor position like Becky did. Also, after his argument with Darlene, I was wondering if he was going to announce that he wanted to live with David. 

• Love 7

Yay! We got to see Mary & DJ. I wish they’d have them in it more. Can’t DJ get some heart to hearts with Dan? Darlene was my favorite in the original run but she’s getting worse and worse here. So Harris (who’s awful) should get $5k merely for existing (are there no other big box stores hiring in all of Landford?) and Mark who actually earned it should get nothing? Then attempting to steal from her grandmother because for some reason she deems her spawn is just entitled to it?  Plus why is Bev cartoon evil now? Ugh. Still love Dan, I hope this isn’t the last of Louise. That scene made me sadder than I expected.  

• Love 21
1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't blame Mark for calling out Darlene regarding her favoritism of Harris. He works hard and is nice and respectful, but gets the shaft. Bev backed the right horse. His own mother doesn't back him up so somebody else has to.

How true and even more, when you had the scene with Bev and Jackie, I just wanted Bev to go: "This will change history, Roseanne isn't going to magically come back!" "You have a damn son you never talk to and you are pushing 70. How is this going to keep you happy?" 

Especially in light of COVID-19, I do hugely wonder if they are going to write in that the Lunch Box would be a place severely hurt by the pandemic. Hell, it would prove Bev right the place shouldn't have been brought back. Just sold off and take the money and run.

• Love 7

Bev is a major bitch for a) not giving money to all of her grandkids and b) for pitting Mark against Darlene but Darlene was in the wrong by asking the money for Harris.  First, a tattoo artists needs to finish high school and get an apprenticeship then obtain their license. Second, Mark deserved that money. I don't get how Darlene keeps harping on "we can save and there are scholarships". That certainly didn't help Harris when she was looking at colleges.

• Love 15
(edited)

Yes, it sucks that Bev did not give money to all her great-grandkids but why should she? She wanted to give it to Mark who worked hard in school and managed to stay in contact with her and that's perfectly fine. 

Does Harris have any artistic talents? I have not followed the show before this season so I have no idea if tattoo artist is valuable career option for her or just another pipe-dream. Also why exactly does she need that money? As has been already mentioned she has a job now. 

Darlene was just awful this episode. Awful and greedy and dumb. It didn't even enter her mind to ask Mark to split the money - still not stellar parenting but better than what she did. Or did computer camp cost exactly 5000 bucks just like tattoo school?

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 22
(edited)
7 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Darlene was just awful this episode. Awful and greedy and dumb. It didn't even enter her mind to ask Mark to split the money - still not stellar parenting but better than what she did. Or did computer camp cost exactly 5000 bucks just like tattoo school?

Just the whole give it to Harris or don't give it at all when it was never offered to Harris in the first place was the whole messed up thing .... Mark wasn't even thought of at all to her.. It really reminded me of the episode of Reba when Kyra got fucked over because her sister didn't want to wake up for classes and was gonna flunk out and lose her daycare if she didn't take summer classes ( totally skipping that it was the sisters fault for flunking)so they take the money that was gonna go to kyra and bail out the sister.. It totally shifted my like of the show .........They did the exact same thing in this episode 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 9
29 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Darlene is getting worse and worse. I can't stand her now. How did she think they were going to keep it from Mark anyway? Was she going to lie and say grandma changed her mind? Bev was right to throw Darlene under the bus before Darlene did it to her.

I agree completely! She's become so awful so quickly I don't even really recognize her character anymore. And the way it was written as if Darlene had a right to be mad at Bev, and that it was a funny situation to have Darlene consider using her power of attorney to steal Bev's money and everyone at the table was on board just had me flabbergasted. (And again, DJ is present but not allowed to join in the conversation!). These are not the Conners I grew up loving.

1 hour ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Yeah everybody being mean to bev especially Becky who if I remember had a good relationship with bev in the og show.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I also really hated how nasty everyone (except Mark) was to Bev.  I mean, yes, Sea Hag and all, but I don't remember all of them being downright cruel like they were in this episode.

The seemingly small re-write of the family's dynamic with Bev is so frustrating to me. I really don't like this blanket hatred that the entire family has towards Bev. It lacks the nuance of Roseanne and Jackie's complicated, trying, and differing relationship they each had with their mother, which made their jokes about not wanting her around relatably funny (and they still showed that they cared for her). What reason do Darlene, Becky, and DJ have to be so openly mean towards her? (And since when do they call her 'Nana Bev'?!).

Now Bev seems to be reduced to being merely an awful harpy that everyone in the family can't stand because it makes for easier one-liners. Am I supposed to find it funny that no one cared to pick her up from the airport and they only like her for her money? That's the kind of broad, lazy humour that the original show usually shied away from.

• Love 23
46 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Does Harris have any artistic talents? I have not followed the show before this season so I have no idea if tattoo artist is valuable career option for her or just another pipe-dream.

This caught me off guard too - I don't recall Harris ever showing any interest in art. This sudden desire to become a tattoo artist (from a job she just got last episode!) came out of nowhere and feels really forced upon by the writers just so that they could tell this money story between the two kids and Bev. And because they've laid no groundwork for us to care or believe that this could be a viable career path for Harris (does Harris even want to do this? We only heard it from Darlene that the tattoo artist thinks she'd do great at tattoo school), Darlene's insistance that Bev give her money for this comes off even more short-sighted to me. I won't be surprised if this idea of Harris becoming a tattoo artist isn't ever brought up again.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Bev is a major bitch for a) not giving money to all of her grandkids and b) for pitting Mark against Darlene

Gotta disagree about point "a."  Bev isn't a bitch for deciding that she's only going to reward the one person who actually demonstrated that he gave a damn about her by making an effort to keep in touch.  She is, however, definitely a bitch for the way she stirred things up between Darlene and her kids.

On another note, I would legitimately watch an entire series that was just Dan and his buddies shooting the shit while playing poker.

• Love 18

Bev used to have a soft spot for Becky - which made sense, since Becky actually liked her, while everyone else had a far more complicated relationship with her, but it also was a chicken and egg situation, because there was also a real extent to which Becky liked Bev in a way the others didn't precisely because Bev treated her better to begin with - and wanted to buy her things (up to and including a car) her parents couldn't, so I like the idea she sees shades of underappreciated teenage Becky in Mark and wants to do the same for him.

And, indeed, the way Mark reacted to her arrival as contrasted with everyone else was highly reminiscent of the Becky of that general age when Bev visited, but then Harris came in also happy to see her and Bev blew her off.  No, Harris hadn't kept in touch with her while she was gone as Mark had, but her instinct - before anyone knew money was on the table - was still to welcome her home and hug her (unlike anyone else other than Mark) and Bev is the one who shut that down. 

So, on the one hand, it was all complex, but on the other Bev came out of this looking better to me, and that's not what they were going for!  I loved Bev telling Mark what Darlene was up to about the money; it's Bev's passive-aggressive bullshit, but unlike my historical norm, I'm down for it this time because Darlene is being such an ass. 

Good for Mark's "poor Harris" smackdown.  And bless Bev's "You don't have a house, Darlene" when Darlene told her to "get out of my house".  (And LOL at Bev coming to the Lunchbox to see the drain her money went down.)  Darlene loathed, and rightly so, being ignored or dismissed by Bev in favor of Becky, so I understand her over-identifying with Harris in this situation, but on top of her dereliction of duty as Bev's POA, I just wasn't in her corner when I otherwise would have been.

As always, Dan and Becky's relationship is the highlight of the series.  Dan's guilt and Becky's empathy were very touching.  And funny: "She's here"/"Nah, Mom's more of a shovel to the head kind of gal"

I don't care what eventually becomes of Dan and Louise's relationship - it has moved at a realistic trajectory so that I'd be fine with them dating, but I'd be equally fine with them remaining friends or going their separate ways - but even though I'm not invested in it, in terms of having a wish for how it goes, I generally enjoy it.  A love triangle, however, I would very much not enjoy; I never do.  I hope this is just something to set up why Louise may continue not to be any part of Dan's life after she returns from the tour, depending on how Katey Sagal's show does, and not something that will be a storyline.

I like that Dan's poker games continue, even though Chuck and D.J. are the only other familiar faces.  New Loser Guy was good for laughs at his expense, between "He's single because he wants to be; you're single because all the women had a meeting" and "I've been asked to step out of the room multiple times".

• Love 10
(edited)

So DJ, Mary, and Mark are back all of a sudden. Cool.

I'm glad Mark got the money after all, but it was still shitty for Bev and Darlene to go back and forth the way they did about him or Harris getting it.

And maybe Harris shouldn't necessarily get any money if Bev doesn't want to give any to her, but she continues her streak of me not wanting to beat the crap of her every time she's onscreen these days so obviously some improvements have been made (also: is her place of work a tattoo parlor only? I thought it had motorcycles too, at least at first).

There hasn't been much bonding between Dan and Becky on losing their spouses recently, so that was certainly welcomed. Part of me still wishes we knew more about when and how Becky's Mark died, though.

Lastly: Damn, Katey Sagal can SING! 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 10

I keep trying to watch this show. I keep feeling guilty for thinking it's trash. Maybe there's something I'm missing?  Let's give it one more week.

Nope. 

Its not me. 

This show IS trash. it sucks like a damn black hole and its past time I quit pretending it's in any ways good.  It's not. At all. I WANT it to be good. I NEED it to be good. I still watch and freaking OWN the originals. 

This ain't it Chief. 

• Love 5

Boy I’m glad they didn’t have Mark give Harris the money. I thought they were going to go there.

The title of this episode is really annoying, given how badly Bev was treated. I cannot imagine stranding someone at the airport, let alone a 92 year old woman. Jackie has made jokes about killing her mom in the past, but in this episode, it felt like she actually meant it.

I do feel bad for Harris because her own grandma didn’t want to hug her, then teased about giving her money. Good on her for not wanting to steal from her grandma. It’s sad that on this show, that’s an actual compliment.

3 hours ago, bamlouie said:

(And since when do they call her 'Nana Bev'?!).

She might have decided on a different grandma name for her great grandkids, and everyone started using that name. It’s just a guess, of course, but that’s exactly what happened with one of my grandmas after my son was born. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Of course, the fairest thing to do would be to give money to all four of her grandchildren rather than to just one of them. Especially if she can afford it.

Great-grandchildren.  Not including Jerry's and Andy's kids.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Just the whole give it to Harris or don't give it at all when it was never offered to Harris in the first place was the whole messed up thing .... Mark wasn't even thought of at all to her.. It really reminded me of the episode of Reba when Kyra got fucked over because her sister didn't want to wake up for classes and was gonna flunk out and lose her daycare if she didn't take summer classes ( totally skipping that it was the sisters fault for flunking)so they take the money that was gonna go to kyra and bail out the sister.. It totally shifted my like of the show .........They did the exact same thing in this episode 

I thought I remembered a similar plot, but couldn’t remember where I saw it.  I was mad for days that Kyra didn’t get to go on that trip.  And I would have also been mad for days if Mark hadn’t gotten the money.  Someone needs to remind Darlene that app developers and computer geeks can make a shit-ton of money, too, with the appropriate education and training.  Like this camp.

• Love 8

I thought I remembered a similar plot, but couldn’t remember where I saw it.  I was mad for days that Kyra didn’t get to go on that trip.  And I would have also been mad for days if Mark hadn’t gotten the money.  Someone needs to remind Darlene that app developers and computer geeks can make a shit-ton of money, too, with the appropriate education and training.  Like this camp.

Yeah, I remember that episode and hated it too. That's when things went off the show Reba. Didn't help that Kyra then realizing that moving out and living with Brock and Barabra Jean was going to "magically fix" her being unfavored. Back to The Connors.

Yeah, it was just a mess, Mark's smack down was great and even Harris saying how getting back at Bev wasn't really going to fix things. However, as I said earlier, there needed to be more between Bev and Jackie over the Lunch Box. Hell, I wanted Bev to explain that bringing it back wasn't going to magically bring back Rosanne either. That at least would have saved a lot of Bev from: "Must plan downfalls of my grandchildren!"

• Love 5

the whole stance of Mark has time .. he can do it later... its not his time.... if that were true why didn't Harris take advantages of these amazing opportunity sooner? why is her at what 18 NOW its to late and she needs ALL the help? the writers are just SHITTING on everyone in this family .... at this point if Mark left to go live with his dad that WOULD be a great thing for him cause staying around these people and their horrible decision making will just keep him chained to that house and town forever..... i know i keep harping on this but the really made Darlene a really shitty parent in one full sweep

• Love 11
(edited)

Maybe Jerry and Andy NOT being around isn't so bad after all  ... Maybe the writers can say they saw how toxic this family is and are staying away for their own benefit..( this family has been shown to drag anyone down it can) .. at this point if the writers went in that direction it would actually be a Good thing. you can love your family and still stay away from the toxic to keep yourself and your new family safe and taken care of .....

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 3
(edited)

Has Harris has completely given up her dream of attending college in favor of tattoo training? Is part-time community college completely out of the question?  Are no scholarships available? Were her HS grades so terrible?

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

And, indeed, the way Mark reacted to her arrival as contrasted with everyone else was highly reminiscent of the Becky of that general age when Bev visited, but then Harris came in also happy to see her and Bev blew her off.  No, Harris hadn't kept in touch with her while she was gone as Mark had, but her instinct - before anyone knew money was on the table - was still to welcome her home and hug her (unlike anyone else other than Mark) and Bev is the one who shut that down. 

I'm probably overthinking this, but from Bev's point of view, Harris knew she was coming home and didn't borrow a family car to pick her up at the airport, either.  She wouldn't have that expectation of Mark.

7 hours ago, Meushell said:

I do feel bad for Harris because her own grandma didn’t want to hug her, then teased about giving her money. Good on her for not wanting to steal from her grandma. It’s sad that on this show, that’s an actual compliment.

Great-grandma!

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

Did Jackie and Becky even go to Bev about the Lunchbox before they started in on Darlene?  I can't remember how that episode played out at all. POA doesn't mean Bev can't make her own decisions at all.  

Agree with all y'all on Darlene. She used to be my favorite, but more and more I like her less and less. I'm hoping she does not get pregnant with dude's baby. That would be awful. 

42 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Has Harris has completely given up her dream of attending college in favor of tattoo training? Is part-time community college completely out of the question?  Are no scholarships available? Were her HS grades so terrible?

That's an ongoing frustration of mine on shows like this one.  Community college IS a viable and even a great option, especially for those with lower incomes whose kids were not the most stellar in high school.  Harris could show a commitment to classwork and grades getting her core out of the way and then transfer to a bigger school where, with better grades, more financial aid may be possible. 

I loved the Dan/Becky scene and I wish they'd do more of her guiding him through his new found widower status. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Maybe Jerry and Andy NOT being around isn't so bad after all  ... Maybe the writers can say they saw how toxic this family is and are staying away for their own benefit..( this family has been shown to drag anyone down it can) .. at this point if the writers went in that direction it would actually be a Good thing. you can love your family and still stay away from the toxic to keep yourself and your new family safe and taken care of .....

They could...but I really think neither one of them exists anymore, even though they mentioned Jerry in the original reboot. They've never mentioned Andy in either one.

56 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

That's an ongoing frustration of mine on shows like this one.  Community college IS a viable and even a great option, especially for those with lower incomes whose kids were not the most stellar in high school.  Harris could show a commitment to classwork and grades getting her core out of the way and then transfer to a bigger school where, with better grades, more financial aid may be possible. 

That's what my brother did, and it wasn't even because he couldn't afford to go to a four-year school (he went on to a state school, while I went to a private, out-of-state school all four years; my parents paid for part of it and we both had loans but they weren't unmanageable (though it was over 20 years ago, too)).

Plus community college is often easier to work around a job.

• Love 8

It just reminded me of the time Darlene got a good grade on some homework Roseanne is all happy about that, and Becky is basically overlooked, and the only thing she wanted was to invite Mark to thanksgiving dinner.

And that was because Becky wrote her paper for her.

• Love 5

This sudden desire to become a tattoo artist (from a job she just got last episode!) came out of nowhere and feels really forced upon by the writers just so that they could tell this money story between the two kids and Bev.

Continuity is not this show's friend. What was Bev doing in Arizona? There has been no mention of her having been away and as far as I knew she was still living with Jackie. This episode made it look like she was visiting from out of town. WTF.

That said, I didn't find Bev herself particularly out of character. I don't know when Becky started being so antagonistic towards her, especially since she named her baby after her (!), but Bev has always been manipulative and sneaky. Like the time she tried bribing the kids after she divorced their grandfather because she was afraid they might like their "new" grandmother better. Or the time she basically bribed Jackie and Roseanne into letting her move to Landford. Or the time she was kicked out of the seniors community and had to move in with Dan and Roseanne and lied about the reason. 

And Darlene being overly concerned for Harris at the expense of Mark was very reminiscent of Roseanne being more worried about Darlene during her goth phase and blowing off Becky. Darlene came around in the end and heard what Mark had to say so I'm OK with how it wound up.

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

What was Bev doing in Arizona? There has been no mention of her having been away and as far as I knew she was still living with Jackie. This episode made it look like she was visiting from out of town. WTF.

I thought they established she'd been on vacation. I think Bev had a line about having been on vacation for months and griping about how nobody was happy to see her back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I *know* this show is different from the original.  I keep telling myself not to compare.

But.  I still had a difficult time with this episode.  If it weren't for John Goodman's scenes this episode might have been an out for me.  The original series (I felt) was not mean spirited.  The characters rang true.  They had difficult times, some because of just bad decisions, some because of the bad economy, but again, it all rang true, and as a viewer I was always left with a sense of hope. (I'm talking about earlier seasons here, the later seasons I tend to pretend didn't happen!)

In The Connors I increasingly feel uncomfortable in watching Darlene and her kids and (mostly Darlene and Harris) their interactions with others.  This episode especially just felt mean spirited.  The episode where Darlene was working for one day in the store - who even acts like that.  It wasn't funny.  It wasn't smart writing.  It was ugly and almost painful to watch.

This isn't Shameless.  The writing is nowhere near good enough to turn these characters into those kind of characters.

And, it's BEVS money.  She can do what she likes!  It may not be "fair" but it's HER MONEY. Darlene pushing and pushing for the money to go to Harris was just...ridiculous.  I was scared at the end that Mark was going to turn around and offer the cheque to Harris and I was very glad they didn't write it that way.

This episode just fell very flat for me, as has most of this season.  I guess I'm just disappointed because I had hopes that the writing and story telling would improve but it's just not to my liking.

The only saving grace for me is that we must be just about to the end of the season.  I will miss watching Dan and Becky but I don't think I will be back for another season if there is one.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

That said, I didn't find Bev herself particularly out of character. I don't know when Becky started being so antagonistic towards her, especially since she named her baby after her (!), but Bev has always been manipulative and sneaky.

I did find Becky's attitude kind of bizarre.  Why would you name your kid after someone you apparently hate?

I was mixed on the storyline itself.  I wouldn't turn away $5,000.00 if offered, but I also didn't think it was worth the fuss that everyone was making either.  If Harris is suddenly desperate to attend tattoo school or whatever that was supposed to be, have her take out a student loan.  It will put her into debt, but a $5,000.00 student loan is hardly world ending.      

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know why she even gave it to her in the first place. It wasn't like Bev was incapacitated or anything.

Well she is at an age that if anything did happen to her it would be easier with a power of attorney 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Though I'd never give it to Darlene.  

She wanted to keep it away from Jackie after Roseanne died.  For a while and up until not all that long ago, Darlene was the more stable and responsible of the two sisters, and Bev and Becky's relationship has obviously changed over the years, so it could have made sense at the time she did it.  (Of course, it overlooks D.J., but everyone overlooks D.J.)  At least she has yanked it back, now that Darlene has shown she is an utter failure in her fiduciary duty to Bev and doesn't give a shit about it.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The time to put a power of attorney in place is before you're incapacitated.  Though I'd never give it to Darlene.  

I have my dad's power of attorney. He gave it to me although it was obvious to everyone that he was losing it. I waited until after I had it to have him diagnosed.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I have my dad's power of attorney. He gave it to me although it was obvious to everyone that he was losing it. I waited until after I had it to have him diagnosed.

Yeah, my mother in law is starting to have problems and while my father in law has power of attorney. My brother in law is set as a default if he goes first or if my father in law has issues. He is truly the best suited both financially and experience wise. I even made him to over see if I pass on early in life if my wife is no longer around. As for my parents, health wise could be better, mentally they are all there. 

• Love 1

I agree with most of what is posted here.  Darlene was AWFUL in this.  I can see wanted Bev to be fair to the kids, but when that wasn't going to happen, trying to take the money from Mark was just cruel. 

I absolutely couldn't stand the scene where they considered stealing Bev's money.  They have done some unethical things before, such as stealing electricity, but this went beyond the pale.  I feel like they made Harris the voice of reason because they realize how many fans hate her and have really been ramping up her redemption arc.  This was the worst episode of the reboot for me.  

I didn't find Bev's behavior any different from her usual, and I didn't have a problem with her telling Mark.  Darlene would have made Bev the bad guy if Bev hadn't have told him.

Awww...poor Dan.  Although I do wish he would have gone up to Louise.  He doesn't know if she is in a relationship or not.  Girl could have just been wanting company that night.

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

It sucks when the kid who's the most responsible & mature gets the shaft in favor of the kid with all the issues.

Which is what happened to Becky a lot, especially during Darlene's "fade to black" period, so while it makes sense that Darlene would be blind to what she's doing, since she was the Harris in that situation, it would be nice if Aunt Becky had a supportive little chat with Mark and knocked some sense into Darlene (especially given their history in the original series of getting through to each other when everyone else's advice/admonishment was falling on deaf ears).

• Love 13
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Which is what happened to Becky a lot, especially during Darlene's "fade to black" period, so while it makes sense that Darlene would be blind to what she's doing, since she was the Harris in that situation, it would be nice if Aunt Becky had a supportive little chat with Mark and knocked some sense into Darlene (especially given their history in the original series of getting through to each other when everyone else's advice/admonishment was falling on deaf ears).

I think the HUGE difference is that Roseanne nor Dan never  purposely or maliciously  took something away from Becky to give Darlene.... Darlene May have got a little more attention but nothing was so in your face fucked up about it like stating one child gets this or no child will ...it’s true every parent sometimes favors a child but this was some pathological leap frog of her son had no feelings or right to this money mental gymnastics Darlene did. Especially considering this was a gift for him being accepted into something that he worked really hard for and she had no right to that money at all. It came across has a form of child abuse with her detachment from her son or his feelings or wellbeing. It was all Harris.  The writers have taken this next level .... I seriously need to let this go but the writing and what they did just pissed me off so bad lol 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 11

My heart broke for Dan! But I’m really hoping that Dan & Louise get a chance to be together because I love them so much as a pairing. I can’t be mad at Louise though because Dan did push her away. This isn’t over just yet so I'm glad for that. 

• Love 4

I think David would be a good parent to Mark. They're both sensitive and sweet and David isn't mean and cynical. He left, that's shitty, but I don't think he's a shitty person. And I'd rather watch a show with David and Mark than this one. 

I've always hated how mean they were to Bev and they really ramped it up this time. Good bye show, you weren't that great to begin with but this sealed the deal.

• Love 9

And they're talking about another season of this shit show?  Everyone shit on Bev, Bev was rude to Harris who wanted a hug (what grandmother ever does that?) and Darlene pressing the button to steal Bev's money before she revokes her Power of Attorney was played for laughs.

The only redeeming parts were the poker game and Dan/Becky suffering from loss of spouse bonding convo.  Even Mary was a little brat.  Go home with DJ who hardly gets used anyway and don't come back.

I called it about Louise already having a new beau on the road.  You're welcome.  Poor Dan.

Yes, Katey Sagal can really sing!  She was a professional singer before she made her debut into the world of acting.  I'm Team Katey and Team Louise.  Louise coming back into a third season will probably be the only reason for me to keep watching.

Darlene was awful and horrible.

• Love 12