Type keyword(s) to search

We're Here - General Discussion

• Start Topic

S1.E6: Spartanburg, We Make It Werk

When COVID-19 disrupts their production schedule, the queens do what they do best: they make it work. Featuring some never-before-seen performances, Bob, Eureka, and Shangela reflect — from the comfort of their homes — on how drag changed, and even saved, their lives. As the queens explore the series’ impact, they shed new light on the life-changing experiences they’ve had traveling across the country and meeting local LGBTQ community members.

Original air date: 6/4/20

At first, I thought the last episode was going to be mostly a clip show, but I should've had more faith in the production's ability to craft another emotional installment. Oh my god, Lady Shug made me cry, and then I didn't stop crying all the way through the end. That group lip sync at the end! The power of Lady Shug's piece! Everything!

It was extremely cathartic, and if they never do another season, at least this one packed a lot in just six episodes. But I'm glad to hear for now there are plans for more. It really is important to uplift the communities in rural and small-town areas who need that support and visibility. It helps shake up a lot of myths that I think hold change back.

• Love 2
On 4/26/2020 at 7:37 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really felt for Hailey. Her mom's response to her coming out was terrible and I can understand why Hailey is mad that her mom is out giving hugs to OTHER kids at Pride but not mending their relationship. Thank goodness Hailey's dad seemed awesome.

I felt for Hailey, too. Her mom's response when she came out was shitty - and it sounded like she was a pretty strict and religiously rigid mom even before that. However, at least from what we were shown, it does seem that she (the mom) was trying to change and trying to repair things. Hailey has every right to have none of it, of course...but I bet there are some kids out there whose parents still reject them who would give their right arm to have a parent be really sorry and want to mend fences. So that's at least something to be grateful for, even if she doesn't want to start the relationship up again.

Also, Hailey is still very young. As she gets older, she may find herself in the position of having fucked up in some relationship SO MOTHERFREAKING ROYALLY that the other person will have nothing to do with her, and come to understand a little bit more the depths of how sorry it is possible to be after having betrayed someone. I think right now Hailey just doesn't trust her mother's change, and doesn't think it's possible for her mom to be as sorry as she (Hailey) feels like she needs or deserves to be, if that makes sense. Maybe she'll change her mind about that someday. Maybe she won't. Time will tell!

14 hours ago, auntiemel said:

I felt for Hailey, too. Her mom's response when she came out was shitty - and it sounded like she was a pretty strict and religiously rigid mom even before that. However, at least from what we were shown, it does seem that she (the mom) was trying to change and trying to repair things. Hailey has every right to have none of it, of course...but I bet there are some kids out there whose parents still reject them who would give their right arm to have a parent be really sorry and want to mend fences. So that's at least something to be grateful for, even if she doesn't want to start the relationship up again.

Also, Hailey is still very young. As she gets older, she may find herself in the position of having fucked up in some relationship SO MOTHERFREAKING ROYALLY that the other person will have nothing to do with her, and come to understand a little bit more the depths of how sorry it is possible to be after having betrayed someone. I think right now Hailey just doesn't trust her mother's change, and doesn't think it's possible for her mom to be as sorry as she (Hailey) feels like she needs or deserves to be, if that makes sense. Maybe she'll change her mind about that someday. Maybe she won't. Time will tell!

FYI - this was posted after the episode aired. I mean, it's public comments on YouTube so take it with a grain of salt (I don't know Hailey, her mom, or anyone personally so I know it's all hearsay on the internet), but still worth considering this take as well:

On 4/26/2020 at 1:32 AM, HunterHunted said:

I'm guessing it's the latter because the premiere was posted on YouTube. There are a handful of comments saying that the mom doing drag was more of her same old hollow, manipulative, and attention seeking antics.

• Useful 1

I just heart this show so damn much. I was Bob's bitch years ago on Drag Race w/Purse First & this show just makes me love him more. It took a little time for me to like Eureka & Shangela on Drag Race but now I heart them too. 

We need this show back on air asap!

• Love 2

I enjoyed this show far more than I thought I would given I don't really understand drag performances.  So I'm glad it's getting another season. It was really nice to see people coming to accept themselves and have others accept them as well, especially family members.

That was a really nice and sweet season premiere.  I completely forgot that the last episode of last season was supposed to be in Spartanburg before production was halted for Covid.  So it was nice that they were able to pick up where they left with all three drag kids.

It was also really nice how Eureka showcased her drag family and gave each of them a special spotlight in her performance.  Though I wish we saw a bit more of their personalities.  While I know they were going for a cohesive look, the end result made her drag family look like a bunch of Eureka's.

Not going to lie, Olin looked really good in his drag makeup.  I get that this was a one time deal for him and there's no way he would be able to recreate the look but if he had some help and some practice, I think he could do alright.

• Love 1

There's a handful of shows I watch alone because of the threat of tears streaming down my face as I watch them & this show is one of them. 

I really felt for Joey's parents struggling to understand their child's journey. My mother & aunts are all quite elderly and they also find it difficult to understand certain issues such as gender identity.

• Love 1

God, this Selma episode is rough.  (As in:  Putting me through it.)  And the intro set to "Hate On Me" by Jill Scott was fantastic.

Why isn't this show getting the attention it deserves?  I know it got a couple of Emmy nominations this year, but no one's talking about it.

• Love 3
On 11/3/2021 at 6:11 PM, Demian said:

Why isn't this show getting the attention it deserves?  I know it got a couple of Emmy nominations this year, but no one's talking about it.

I think this show fell victim to the Covid shutdowns.  They were fortunate that they were able to film almost all of the first season before Covid hit and had a pretty creative solution for the finale episode (I hope they do another group lip sync video at the end of this season).  But as the pandemic dragged on, they had to take an extended hiatus which unfortunately killed some of the momentum from the first season.  

But I saw that Shangela was just on Fallon so it seems HBO is invested in promoting this show.  So hopefully we'll get a few more people to join our party!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

This makes me so made but I'm not surprised.  The United Methodist Church preaches inclusiveness but isn't.  I'm from where this was filmed.  Unfortunately I did not even know they  were filming at the time.  I live in a very conservative area and I guess the word wasn't spread at the time.  I didn't recognize anyone on the show except the methy guy outside the fireworks store. But, that's because he reminds me of a lot of people I see around town.

• Like 1

I caught the first episode of season 3 on Friday and realized I hadn't seen season 2 at all, so I caught up over the weekend. Possibly a mistake! Each episode was so heart wrenching that I probably exhausted myself emotionally. What a great show though.

What's been interesting is the slow escalation of resistance and hostility toward the queens, making the protests in this first episode of season 3 a foregone conclusion. If anyone doubts how harmful the right-wing rhetoric has been, the peripheral glances we get from these episodes are very clear what an impact it's having on these communities. 

I'm really glad this show exists, but it hurts to watch everything start sliding backwards socially.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 12/2/2022 at 10:46 PM, Starchild said:

De'Bronski gave the most powerful first-time drag performance I have ever seen. I cried.

If I were producing this show, the Jackson episode would be the finale.

As powerful as this episode was, I can only imagine how gut wrenching the final episode is gonna be. 

I hate to see the direction the world has gone in, that these AMAZING artists are receiving this hateful treatment. 

Does anyone else wonder about the crowds at the drag shows? I sometimes wonder if they are actual townspeople or are people that are brought in. 

I also wonder about what kind of aftercare the first time drag Queens receive, cuz this shit is emotionally wrenching. Eureka, Bob ans Shangela too, as they act in a capacity as mentors and unofficial therapists. In this current toxic political climate, it's gotta be so stressful on everyone. 

• Like 2

De'Bronski, my god. What a performance. I really hope it helped him go where he needs to be. I love that Bob was paired with him. I don't know if he would've gotten up there if one of the other queens was paired with him. Bob just seems the best equipped to handle the especially sensitive performers, although they all bring special gifts to the table.

• Love 4

I just watched the New Jersey episode.  At the beginning when they are in the restaurant with the old men and Shangela is just being her kind self (damn - nothing gets that girl down), and Bob is just sitting there and you know he isn't having ANY OF IT!  He has not interest in talking to these old men who are Trumpers through and through and honestly, I'm totally behind Bob on this one.  Nothing they were going to say would make any difference with these men, even Shangi's death drop.  :)

Brandon is definitely and interesting character.  I think he may have been drunk most of the episode and he definitely was a hard one for Shangela, but he did seem to be a pretty good ally.  

• Like 2

I was pretty turned off with Brandon and all his talk. I wonder if he thinks about how his words affect people.  Shang was so good with him—I don’t think I would’ve been that patient. 

De’Bronski! So gorgeous and amazing!  
This show brings me joy. 

• Like 1

I really dislike Eureka and wish she’d be replaced with someone else. I find her phony and insincere in all her interactions with her mentees. The Jackson episode was a prime example. Bob and Shangela let their partners shine. Eureka made it all about her. As she always does. Even when her mentee stated he just lost his mom, her first words were about how she lost hers three years ago. He consoled her on her loss before she thought to do so to him. 
I’ve watched every episode of all three seasons and don’t feel I’ve ever seen a truly compassionate, empathetic moment from Eureka; it all comes off self-serving and fake. I know she has mostly fans on this thread so I’ll prepare to duck the tomatoes now, but this is something I’ve wanted to express for a long time and in the spirit of this show and speaking one’s truth……

• Like 2
On 1/31/2023 at 1:45 AM, Juneau Gal said:

I really dislike Eureka and wish she’d be replaced with someone else. 

Looks like you're getting your wish! Season 4 will have all new hosts. I'll miss Eureka, Shangela and Bob, but I love these ladies too.

• Jaida Essence Hall
  • Priyanka
  • Sasha Velour
  • Latrice Royale

Excited for it!

I do wonder if this is a way of removing Shangela without making it look like lack of support, but I don't mind a cast of hosts that rotates every few years.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Starchild said:

I do wonder if this is a way of removing Shangela without making it look like lack of support, but I don't mind a cast of hosts that rotates every few years.

Are there issues with Shangela?

I'll miss Shangela and Bob, a lot.