Type keyword(s) to search

We're Here - General Discussion

• Start Topic

S01.E01: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

Bob the Drag Queen, Eureka O'Hara and Shangela Laquifa Wadley arrive in Gettysburg, Pa., to put on a one-night-only drag show featuring locals in need of a little support and empowerment, including Hunter, Darryl and Erica.

Original air date: 4/23/20

Did anyone watch the premiere episode?  I really enjoyed it and liked how Shangela, Bob and Eureka interacted with the Gettysburg locals and used their personal experiences to help educate and connect with others.  Though I have to wonder if there were more than a few tourists in the downtown Gettysburg shots.

The only thing I wished the show had done was give a small update on all of the drag daughters post show.  Mainly, I was curious if the conservative mother was able to make any progress with the relationship with her daughter (or if her daughter saw the drag show as a hollow gesture).

Oh!  Also, it would have been nice to see Shangela/Bob/Eureka do their drag daughters' makeup but maybe they had tight timelines?  It looked like they had their own individual makeup artists as well.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, zenithwit said:

Mainly, I was curious if the conservative mother was able to make any progress with the relationship with her daughter (or if her daughter saw the drag show as a hollow gesture).

I'm guessing it's the latter because the premiere was posted on YouTube. There are a handful of comments saying that the mom doing drag was more of her same old hollow, manipulative, and attention seeking antics.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I laughed so hard at Bob demonstrating Shangela's four signature dance moves. Bob also got an A+ from me for using En Vogue during the show.

I really felt for Hailey. Her mom's response to her coming out was terrible and I can understand why Hailey is mad that her mom is out giving hugs to OTHER kids at Pride but not mending their relationship. Thank goodness Hailey's dad seemed awesome.

Hunter's mom, on the other hand, looked so proud during the show. I loved so open and enthusiastic Darryl was too.

• Love 8
(edited)

S1.E2: Twin Falls, Idaho

Bob, Eureka and Shangela head to Twin Falls, Idaho, a conservative, predominantly Mormon community in Magic Valley; the queens meet a group of drag artists who need help forming a community and work with Clifton, Brandon and Mikayla.

Promo:

Original air date: 4/30/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

OMG I love Grandpa Larry! What a sweet and wonderful man.

I felt so bad when Mikayla said that her parents came to her wedding but that they made it clear they didn't approve. She was very understanding about it. She's a lot more accepting of them than they are of her.

It was also really heartwarming to see Shangela be so gentle with Mikayla and Brandon.

• Love 6

Oh Grandpa Larry!  What a lovely man.  I want to cry just thinking about the love he has for his grandson, and his grandson's love for him.  It's really beautiful.   

*after going thru entire box of  kleenex*  We are loving this show in our house.  Bob, Shangela, and Eureka are the right queens for this job, caring, enthused, and approachable.  I'm only sorry this is a six episode series, because I'd watch at least a dozen more.

• Love 8

Good lord, first Grandpa Larry got my waterworks going.  And then Brandon and Mikayla performing to This is Me, which pretty much always makes me sob.  My head hurts now but it was so good.

• Love 3

Did anyone else notice Eureka misspell "here" when she wrote it on the chalkboard. "We're hear." Gurl. It's only the name of your damn show. Other than that, I loved the episode especially Grandpa Larry.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I know this isn't the main intention behind this show but I would have been really interested in the queens helping the local drag artists with their annual showcase (and possibly turn it into a more regular monthly/quarterly thing).  It sounded like logistics (or really just finding time to meet and rehearse) were a bit of a hurdle.  The queens could help with community building, marketing and performance tips.  And maybe some of this did happen and it just didn't make the final cut (or it happened off screen).

That said being, I did enjoy the other two storylines.  In particular, Brandon and Mikayla are a really sweet couple and you can that they love each other.

Why do I have a feeling that Eureka will be constantly paired up with someone who is/was super conservative trying to right some wrong?

I'm not much of a crier, but when Grandpa Larry said, "That's why I tell everyone to call me Grandpa," I was a mess. Tears everywhere.

I liked this episode more than the first one. Maybe because of the wedding? I mean, the first episode was great, but this one elevated from that. My only complaint so far -- more Bob! I feel like he gets less screentime than the other two.

Clifton is super hot, pass it on.

• Love 4

S1.E3: Branson, MO

In Branson, Mo., a wholesome showbiz town smack in the middle of the Bible Belt, Bob, Eureka, and Shangela help Tanner, Charles, and Chris who are struggling to be their true selves in a community that prides itself on its traditional values.

Promo:

Original air date: 5/7/20

So many funny moments in this episode! I loved Tanner's mom teaching everyone how to do bellydancing snake arms, Shangela getting herself a drink on the yacht, and everyone's reaction to Tanner not knowing who Tina Turner is (from the fainting to the group singalong). We needed those moments of lightness after seeing how many people called the police after just seeing three gay men walking around Branson. I'm glad that they were finally able to find a venue.

I was so excited to see Charles perform because he was such a good dancer during rehearsal.

Like Eureka, I may have yelled, "FUCK YOU" to my contacts once or twice in my life.

• Love 5

I'm not even a huge Gaga fan, but "Born This Way" was such a perfect song for Tanner and his mom. I LOVED his genderf**k drag. Gorgeous. And I loved the postscript. There are plenty of gay christian groups out there, and I hope he finds a good community to keep supporting him.

I would say the editing around Eureka and her daughter during their performance was being kind to an unsteady performer, but I'm still glad that dude got out there, and got to share a moment with his daughter (although I was wildly uncomfortable with his daughter hearing him discuss his suicidal urges. But it's not my place to parent here).

Very much looking to New Mexico!

• Love 4

I just adore this show. They found the right three queens to do it too. So good at training their daughters, and so good at supporting them. I’ve always loved Bob, love Shangie (maybe not her first season). I’ve never been a huge Eureka fan, but she’s winning me over with this. 

Tanner’s mom is the Grandpa Larry of this episode. I assumed she was also Christian and is the one who shoved him back in the closet, but nope, she just wants him to be loved. Loved that postscript; I was waiting for it. 

I'm not crying you’re crying. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tanner not knowing who Tina Turner is

But he can do Tina Belcher! S  C  R  E  A  M.

I know I shouldn't really give more credit or more love to the straight men on the show, but how can I not when the episode itself set me up to proclaim that Chris, literally and metaphorically, has big balls.

• Love 3

I almost burst out crying once the post show note about Tanner living as a gay Christian man came on my screen. I think Bob’s talk about how Tanner is God’s perfect design struck a chord.

I love that drag can make people celebrate gender and sexual diversity, and this show makes me cry every episode. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I love this show but if wrings me all the way out every week. Does anybody know the song that Shangela & Nicole performed? I liked it, but I’m an old so I’ve never heard it before. 

Edited by heckkitty

S1.E4: Farmington, New Mexico

The queens arrive to help the residents of Farmington and Shiprock, N.M.; they enlist gay Navajo photographer Nate, lesbian public defender Nicole, and Stacey and her daughter, Jasmine, who are processing the suicide of their daughter and sister, DJ.

Original air date: 5/14/20

OMG I lost it when Shangela said that the desert was various shades of tan like a Kanye West fashion show. No lies detected.

I love seeing the participants' confidence blossom over the course of just a few days. I had a dance teacher who once told me while I was attempting something difficult, "You can do it. I believe in you," and it made me realize how powerful it was to hear someone say that out loud. I didn't believe I could do this move until someone told me that they thought I could do it. So many people need that little boost. I later taught dance classes and I made sure to be supportive and encouraging to my students and to tell them I knew they could do it. I know it sounds so simple, but it can make a world of difference to know that even just one person believes in you and supports you. The pep talk that Shangela gave to Nicole after the show was so great.

I really felt for Stacey and Jasmine. They are clearly still reeling from DJ's suicide but this seemed like a good step forward.

I loved Nate's bride of Frankenstein performance. As much as I love regular old lip syncs, it's also nice to see more meaningful performance pieces like this one.

10 hours ago, heckkitty said:

Does anybody know the song that Shangela & Nicole performed? I liked it, but I’m an old so I’ve never heard it before

I Am Woman by Jordin Sparks

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

OMG I lost it when Shangela said that the desert was various shades of tan like a Kanye West fashion show. No lies detected.

I love seeing the participants' confidence blossom over the course of just a few days. I had a dance teacher who once told me while I was attempting something difficult, "You can do it. I believe in you," and it made me realize how powerful it was to hear someone say that out loud. I didn't believe I could do this move until someone told me that they thought I could do it. So many people need that little boost. I later taught dance classes and I made sure to be supportive and encouraging to my students and to tell them I knew they could do it. I know it sounds so simple, but it can make a world of difference to know that even just one person believes in you and supports you. The pep talk that Shangela gave to Nicole after the show was so great.

I really felt for Stacey and Jasmine. They are clearly still reeling from DJ's suicide but this seemed like a good step forward.

I loved Nate's bride of Frankenstein performance. As much as I love regular old lip syncs, it's also nice to see more meaningful performance pieces like this one.

I Am Woman by Jordin Sparks

Thank you!

(edited)

I really like the way Bob listens. I suspect that people who make TV may not like it, because he's still and attentive and quiet -- you know, like he's actually listening (instead of using what the other person is saying to affirm himself, or rushing to approving what the other person is saying, etc.) -- but for me it's great to see.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 9
On 5/15/2020 at 10:07 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I came to say the same.  I snorted out loud!

I had read somewhere recently that some indigenous cultures traditionally had the concept of fluid sexuality or more than 2 genders so that part about the Navajo was really interesting to me.  My tears this week started in the rehearsal talking about how that tradition was forgotten.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I had read somewhere recently that some indigenous cultures traditionally had the concept of fluid sexuality or more than 2 genders so that part about the Navajo was really interesting to me.  

I had heard that before, what I hadn't thought about/realized, but obviously should have, was that it was the religion forced upon them that caused it to be no longer accepted. 

I was looking for more information about this show and found they didn't get to finish filming due to COVID. I'm sad about that now. 

• Love 1

S1.E05: Ruston, Louisiana

Bob, Eureka and Shangela shake things up in Ruston, La.; they enlist Jose, a gay man who is tired of censoring himself, ex-firefighter Stacy, a straight ally, and Lynn, a lesbian who lost her left arm and leg but wants to reclaim her independence.

Original air date: 5/14/20

• Love 1

I'm so sad to know there's only one more episode.  I so hope after our quarantine (queerantine?) is finished that they film another season as soon as schedules allow.  Mini Malotte and I have so enjoyed our Thursday nights - so thank you to Shangela, Bob, and Eureka and their entire crew for all their hard work and their kindness to their drag sons and daughters.      

• Love 3

Canadian viewers:  Has anyone seen "Drag SOS"?  It's was on OUT TV after RPDR on Friday night.  It's a UK show that is essentially the same as "We're Here".  However, it is over a year old.    I did a little research and found that it was based on a Brazilian show.  I haven't seen anything that says "We're Here" based on any other show.  The again, "Dragnificent" is also similar.

Regardless, it's worth checking out if you can find it!  

On 5/17/2020 at 2:13 PM, TexasGal said:

I had read somewhere recently that some indigenous cultures traditionally had the concept of fluid sexuality or more than 2 genders so that part about the Navajo was really interesting to me.  My tears this week started in the rehearsal talking about how that tradition was forgotten.

Mention of this can be found in the movie, "Little Big Man."  There is an effeminate gay man in the tribe, and in the narration, Dustin Hoffman's character says that his role is important.

• Useful 2