Type keyword(s) to search

Grimm In the Media: News, Ratings & Scheduling

I just saw an NBC ad for the new season.  It's very hype-y and breathless about how awesome it is supposed to be. (For his fans, Renard actually gets a couple of lines.)  I am hopeful that the show is good; the ad highlighted Angry Grimm! ARGHH!Nick, who is isolating in his need for revenge. 

It could be good, so I am hopeful, but cautiously so.

The ad also showed Teresa being 'napped by the Feds. There will be much angrifying in Portland.

We saw Renard, Hank, Monroe and the lady Fed (besides Nick, of course.) 

::crossing fingers::

Two weeks and one day until the new season- October 30th, in case anyone had forgotten. Also 9PM Eastern/8PM CST.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2

Aw, damn.  I was hopin' she'd be in her hexen state in the coffin.  <giggle>

ANY promos from NBC *must* be considered spoilers, as that's their thing.  I'll never forgive them for the Homicide: Life on the Streets promo that gave away WHO the freakin' murderers were!!!

• Love 3

^ I agree. If anything, that list is a disservice if trying to sell Grimm as a show with actual horror themes. They could have found more in the early wesen cases instead of including action scenes, drama scenes, and that bs about Hitler. How was watching old footage that revealed Hitler as wesen scary? Very lame list.

• Love 2

IMO, that list was lame. I mean over half of it wasn't scary but the article seems to think it is scary.

The reporter who files this owes pretty much her entire career to Grimm and Portlandia.  She has posted "pieces" in the past which were, and I kid you not, links to instagram and twitter posts by the cast.  That, my friends, is why The Oregonian is only published 2-3 times a week now....

(Okay, obviously there are other reasons, mainly that The Oregonian is a pretty terrible paper...but....)

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1

Wow, that was a very weaksauce list of Grimm Scary moments. How did Adalind's hallucinations make the list and not, say...the "woodchipping" of the guy that kicked off the troll case. Or the turning of the sheep congregation? Monroe almost didn't make it out!  The Pied Piper/Deadmaus-lite DJ kid? The effin' Coins and their effect on folks. Walking through the room full of snakefolk, who were freezing to death?

• Love 5

Wow, that was a very weaksauce list of Grimm Scary moments. How did Adalind's hallucinations make the list and not, say...the "woodchipping" of the guy that kicked off the troll case. Or the turning of the sheep congregation? Monroe almost didn't make it out!  The Pied Piper/Deadmaus-lite DJ kid? The effin' Coins and their effect on folks. Walking through the room full of snakefolk, who were freezing to death?

I'm still scratching my head as to why I wasn't more terrified when Hitler woged into Dan Aykroyd.....

As I said, other then the Aswang and *maybe* the Wesenrein Tribunal (more suspenseful than scary), that list was ridiculous....

• Love 3

Grimm's overnight rating was 1.1, which I found surprisingly good because:

1. It was up against the world series
  2. Season 4 was complete crap and they lost a lot of viewers during the last half of it
  3. This really wasn't that great of an episode/season premiere

Edited to add this link: http://tvline.com/2015/10/31/grimm-season-5-premiere-ratings/

Apparently that was the lowest rating for a season premiere for Grimm....

Edited by OtterMommy

Ratings Bingo time.

The Grimm season 5 premiere went up against the World Series game 3, which got very high ratings (3.1 last night). I can see the next Grimm episode numbers staying about 1.1, or even rising.

Edited by icewolf

Ratings Bingo time.

The Grimm season 5 premiere went up against the World Series game 3, which is getting very high ratings (3.1 last night). I can see the next Grimm episode numbers staying about 1.1, or even rising.

The Mets even won over  KC in  that game so they went against that as well.

http://www.dailyactor.com/interview/claire-coffee-grimm-interview/

An interview with Claire Coffee that is kind of a head-scratcher.  I mean, it is all great of her and she seems like a nice person, but she keeps talking about how she never knows what Adalind is going to do and the creators keep everything underwraps, even from the actors...

Maybe I'm cynical (okay, I'm cynical), but that just reinforces my belief that the creators are doing this all completely by the seats of their pants.

• Love 4

http://www.dailyactor.com/interview/claire-coffee-grimm-interview/

An interview with Claire Coffee that is kind of a head-scratcher.  I mean, it is all great of her and she seems like a nice person, but she keeps talking about how she never knows what Adalind is going to do and the creators keep everything underwraps, even from the actors...

Maybe I'm cynical (okay, I'm cynical), but that just reinforces my belief that the creators are doing this all completely by the seats of their pants.

I'm not surprised, I think Nick said something similar about not knowing what's going on beyond what they're filming.

The writers make stuff up.

The writers make stuff up.

Well, to be fair, that is their job.

Still....

There is a big difference in taking time to map out an entire season--or even multiple seasons--and walking through all the scenarios and find what will make the best dramatic sense or, on the other hand, someone going, "Hey, what about..." and then putting it into play without thinking how it will play one, two, or three episodes down the road.

Or, if they do have a map of the season, throwing it out simply because an actress is pregnant....

• Love 3

Well, to be fair, that is their job.

Still....

There is a big difference in taking time to map out an entire season--or even multiple seasons--and walking through all the scenarios and find what will make the best dramatic sense or, on the other hand, someone going, "Hey, what about..." and then putting it into play without thinking how it will play one, two, or three episodes down the road.

Or, if they do have a map of the season, throwing it out simply because an actress is pregnant....

The difference is that, writers usually have some sort of outline or a vision/direction they're going to go, Grimm lacks this.

• Love 1

The difference is that, writers usually have some sort of outline or a vision/direction they're going to go, Grimm lacks this.

Well, they say they have that his season.  I'm skeptical.  There has been a lot of discussion about whether this should be a case of the week or a more serialized show.  Frankly, I don't care which way...but they need to choose one.  This season is supposed to be about a Wesen uprising but the synopses we've seen so far all look very WotW-ish.  It is, of course, possible to weave the two together...but I have absolutely no faith that this crew would be capable of that.

Plus, I think they may have been lying to us about some things that are coming up this season (Juliette being dead...it may still be true, it may be true "in some sense," or it may just be a lie).  Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with them lying, misdirection, and throwing red herrings...but I kind of feel, with this show, that when they do that, the reality is worse than what we originally suspected OR what was originally planned.

ETA - I totally forgot which thread this was...this should have gone in the writing thread...sorry!

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2

Well, they say they have that his season.  I'm skeptical.  There has been a lot of discussion about whether this should be a case of the week or a more serialized show.  Frankly, I don't care which way...but they need to choose one.  This season is supposed to be about a Wesen uprising but the synopses we've seen so far all look very WotW-ish.  It is, of course, possible to weave the two together...but I have absolutely no faith that this crew would be capable of that.

Plus, I think they may have been lying to us about some things that are coming up this season (Juliette being dead...it may still be true, it may be true "in some sense," or it may just be a lie).  Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with them lying, misdirection, and throwing red herrings...but I kind of feel, with this show, that when they do that, the reality is worse than what we originally suspected OR what was originally planned.

ETA - I totally forgot which thread this was...this should have gone in the writing thread...sorry!

I guess, usually I know about what/why it was changed from the original plans.  Grimm is all over the place in that regard.

This week's ratings decreased from last week.

Grimm (NBC) 1.0/4

3.75 million viewers

More and more it is looking like this will be the last season of Grimm. The Adalind baby storyline isn't helping. I can see a complete ratings meltdown if/when Juliette comes back on the show. At least we will always have season one.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/11/07/tv-ratings-friday-nov-6-2015-masterchef-junior-shark-tank/

I will be shocked if we get a season 6 at this point.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled this mid-season the way they are going.

I just hope the screen writing improves a bit on the way out so the actors have some good material when they all go on their next round of auditions.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled this mid-season the way they are going.

I wouldn't go that far. Grimm is still made by NBC, so the network will tolerate lower ratings. However, the writers are certainly walking on thin ice in terms of future seasons.

They need to step up their game in terms of writing. A bunch of graffiti artists that loves to paint claw marks isn't really doing it as the big bad of the season.

Grimm is already in syndication and should make 100 episodes this season (I think) so there isn't much incentive to keep it going beyond ratings. I think Grimm might be a bubble show, depends on what else is failing and what they're pilot season lookstarts like.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

It's the 5th season and the show keeps losing viewers that used to tune in no matter what the lead in shows have been for the last four seasons. I wouldn't look at the lead in show as a real factor for the pretty much constant ratings drop... the show just sucks now and shows little promise. Or maybe it's just that I stopped watching myself, so it makes sense to me that others took the same decision for the same reasons.

• Love 2

It's the 5th season and the show keeps losing viewers that used to tune in no matter what the lead in shows have been for the last four seasons. I wouldn't look at the lead in show as a real factor for the pretty much constant ratings drop... the show just sucks now and shows little promise. Or maybe it's just that I stopped watching myself, so it makes sense to me that others took the same decision for the same reasons.

I agree that the show's falling ratings can only be blamed on the show itself.  There was a moment last season when the rating dropped off dramatically--when it was revealed Adalind was pregnant.  It wasn't immediately obvious because basketball started and all shows fell during that time.  The difference is that Grimm not only never bounced back after March Madness, but it continued to fall.  

Unless something changes on this show, ratings are just going to continue to creep down with every episode.  We get these letters from the writers/creative team which are sort of masked pleas to keep watching as they think it will get better.  But, as viewers, we shouldn't have to do that.  I mean, viewers aren't there for the show, the show is there for the viewers.  If viewers don't like what they're seeing, they tune out.  That's how this all works.

• Love 1

I agree that the show's falling ratings can only be blamed on the show itself.  There was a moment last season when the rating dropped off dramatically--when it was revealed Adalind was pregnant.  It wasn't immediately obvious because basketball started and all shows fell during that time.  The difference is that Grimm not only never bounced back after March Madness, but it continued to fall.  

Unless something changes on this show, ratings are just going to continue to creep down with every episode.  We get these letters from the writers/creative team which are sort of masked pleas to keep watching as they think it will get better.  But, as viewers, we shouldn't have to do that.  I mean, viewers aren't there for the show, the show is there for the viewers.  If viewers don't like what they're seeing, they tune out.  That's how this all works.

I can't really blame them, there's not much to look forward to.

• Love 1

They haven't worked in a long time.

IMO, NBC didn't really have any real good sitcoms since the 1990s/early 2000s (of course The Office and 30 Rock, IMO, were game changers in the sitcom world as well. Although, both shows are now off the air and the cast and production team moved on to other projects). That being said, those two shows are base on the old sitcom model and I would say that it's more risky to have a show with a laugh track. Although, The Big Bang Theory is still going strong, but I can't think of any other sitcom that does that well or as well as Seinfeld (and I think that NBC does want to have a sitcom like/as popular as Seinfeld). 

• Love 1

IMO, NBC didn't really have any real good sitcoms since the 1990s/early 2000s (of course The Office and 30 Rock, IMO, were game changers in the sitcom world as well. Although, both shows are now off the air and the cast and production team moved on to other projects). That being said, those two shows are base on the old sitcom model and I would say that it's more risky to have a show with a laugh track. Although, The Big Bang Theory is still going strong, but I can't think of any other sitcom that does that well or as well as Seinfeld (and I think that NBC does want to have a sitcom like/as popular as Seinfeld). 

Exactly.

• Love 1
When Constantine started averaging a 0.8 rating on Fridays last year, NBC decided to cancel that show. So Grimm needs to watch out.

I had hope that Constantine and Grimm would help boost the other's ratings.  Especially since Constantine was excellent. 

I was actually surprised that Grimm was renewed for a full season.  However, if it continues to fall, I'll guess that it finishes the full season, gets another season for 13 episodes, and then, ends.

With many unfinished storylines, I wonder how many will be resolved by the show's end.

• Love 1

After Grimm is finished, I can see NBC firebombing its entire Friday lineup and just put crappy reality shows there. You know NBC's Fridays is in trouble when even Dateline is underperforming with a 1.0 rating. NBC wants to keep Dateline at 10PM because that show is a good lead up to the local news around the country.

The NBC two comedies that one one is watching at 8PM really aren't helping. Those two shows would already be gone if they were on any other night, 0.6 is just baaaaad. I just skip them and start watching Grimm at 9PM.

After Grimm is finished, I can see NBC firebombing its entire Friday lineup and just put crappy reality shows there. You know NBC's Fridays is in trouble when even Dateline is underperforming with a 1.0 rating. NBC wants to keep Dateline at 10PM because that show is a good lead up to the local news around the country.

The NBC two comedies that one one is watching at 8PM really aren't helping. Those two shows would already be gone if they were on any other night, 0.6 is just baaaaad. I just skip them and start watching Grimm at 9PM.

So, I'm wondering...how important are the lead-ins, really?

I mean, I've *never* watched the lead-in to Grimm.  I either just turn the show on at 9pm, turn the show on off the DVR at about 9:20 and FF through commercials, or just watch the show off the DVR at a later time.

I'm not saying that lead-in issue is not a thing, I'm just wondering if it is as big a thing as it was before the advent of DVR's.

• Love 2

With many unfinished storylines, I wonder how many will be resolved by the show's end.

The only one I can think of is how the Wesen know Nick is a Grimm. So, my bet would be that we will be left a lot of unanswered questions or they will do a marathon  and try to cram as much info into the finale episodes it will be like watching last week's episode. Everything will just be a a super fast pace and their will not be time to rest. 

The only one I can think of is how the Wesen know Nick is a Grimm. So, my bet would be that we will be left a lot of unanswered questions or they will do a marathon  and try to cram as much info into the finale episodes it will be like watching last week's episode. Everything will just be a a super fast pace and their will not be time to rest. 

My guess would be the unanswered questions.  Last year, it was renewed in February--which was unusually early.  I think it, normally, most shows aren't officially renewed until mid- to late-April (I think) and a season of this show wraps up filming around then.  Of course, they could always get the wink and nod from the network if it looks like they'll be renewed, so maybe they'd have an idea.

So, I'm wondering...how important are the lead-ins, really?

I mean, I've *never* watched the lead-in to Grimm.  I either just turn the show on at 9pm, turn the show on off the DVR at about 9:20 and FF through commercials, or just watch the show off the DVR at a later time.

I'm not saying that lead-in issue is not a thing, I'm just wondering if it is as big a thing as it was before the advent of DVR's.

To me? Lead ins don't matter. If I don't care about a show, I'll complete skip a show and start watching a show that I want to see.

But to networks, lead in ratings could be important. It is useful to see how much a show falls from another, or how much a show rises from another. Something like that could push a network to cancel or renew or struggling show.  A show completely tanking after following a hit show usually means the low rated show is a goner.

If the entire lineup of shows on Friday gets low ratings, NBC might be more willing to give Grimm another season. Grimm has survived all these years with average ratings, only because lower ratings are tolerated on Fridays.

These days the way networks measure ratings aka the Nielsen ratings system is outdated, but the networks still use it. People that watch live will always be the most important to advertisers, followed by the people that watch on DVRs during the first three days.

• Love 1

I think lead-ins are a bit old school , although that's not to say that the Networks think so. There's a whole group of ratings buffs that are (not so nicely) called 'retentionistas' because they put a very high emphasis on the ratings relationship between the lead-in and subsequent shows.

I think way back in the day when you had Must See Thursday on NBC and Family Friday on ABC that lead in shows were very important. However, now a days when a good portion of TV viewing comes from DVR recordings, I don't think it's that important. However, it's possible that Marketing/Network/Neilsen thinking hasn't caught up to modern TV viewing habits.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I've *never* watched the lead-in to Grimm.

I'm busy at 8 PM on Fridays, watching "Death in Paradise" on my PBS station.  I don't care what's on any other channel at that time.  Of course, being PBS with no commercials, it ends sooner than 9, so I *do* switch over to NBC, but I usually don't sit there & watch the end of whatever it is...I'm old; I'm in the bathroom.  ...so I was particularly annoyed when NBC moved Grimm to 8 PM last season. (Which had NO network lead-in...)

• Love 1