Type keyword(s) to search

Grimm In the Media: News, Ratings & Scheduling

Well, the preliminary ratings show that we've finally gone fractional. 0.9 in the 18-49 demo. Half hours were 0.9/0.8, so I'm not optimistic for an upward adjustment.

It is the awful dragged out Juliette Hexenbiest storyline that is harming the ratings. The last time the show had over 5 million viewers was the awesome Wesenrein two parter, and it has been steadily falling the more they focused on HexenJuliette.

Juliette haters HATE that she is being given so much screentime. Juliette fans hate that the writers are turning her so unlikeable and having her do so many terrible things. The people that are watching for the case of the week plots are probably annoyed at all the soap opera. All this is a recipe for disaster.

It is way too late to fix it now since they are done filming for the season. I just hope the writers realized how badly they have screwed up the second half of this season and make changes to the show. They must be thanking the stars for the early renewal.

• Love 2

It is the awful dragged out Juliette Hexenbiest storyline that is harming the ratings. The last time the show had over 5 million viewers was the awesome Wesenrein two parter, and it has been steadily falling the more they focused on HexenJuliette.

Juliette haters HATE that she is being given so much screentime. Juliette fans hate that the writers are turning her so unlikeable and having her do so many terrible things. The people that are watching for the case of the week plots are probably annoyed at all the soap opera. All this is a recipe for disaster.

It is way too late to fix it now since they are done filming for the season. I just hope the writers realized how badly they have screwed up the second half of this season and make changes to the show. They must be thanking the stars for the early renewal.

The writers should've never focused on the weakest aspects of the series, it's a turn off for almost everyone watching.  It's sad that this show went fractional, but not surprising with it barely holding on to a 1.0s in the last stretch of episodes.  I hope next season will be the last.

(edited)

I would also like to add the drop in ratings is probably also due to the crappy time slot. In my opinion, Grimm belongs in the Friday 9 PM EST time slot and not the 8 PM EST Time slot. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

I would also like to add the drop in ratings is probably also due to the crappy time slot. In my opinion, Grimm belongs in the Friday 9 PM EST time slot and not the 8 PM EST Time slot. 

Agreed.  Even if it weren't for the ratings, this is a pretty intense show and, as a mom with little kids who probably should be going to bed earlier than they actually do, I am not a fan of them catching a scene or two of this.

(Actually, I'm not a fan of them catching a scene or two of anything.  I'm the parent who only lets them watch TV when I want to watch sports.  My husband, on the other hand, is far more lenient.  The other night, I found all 3 of them watching Futurama.)

Agreed.  Even if it weren't for the ratings, this is a pretty intense show and, as a mom with little kids who probably should be going to bed earlier than they actually do, I am not a fan of them catching a scene or two of this.

(Actually, I'm not a fan of them catching a scene or two of anything.  I'm the parent who only lets them watch TV when I want to watch sports.  My husband, on the other hand, is far more lenient.  The other night, I found all 3 of them watching Futurama.)

I don't know, I would say that Futurama isn't too bad and I might allow any future teenagers to watch it (but only the pre-Comedy Central days and maybe the movies). Although, your children may be younger (and I am not a mom). 

(edited)

I don't know, I would say that Futurama isn't too bad and I might allow any future teenagers to watch it (but only the pre-Comedy Central days and maybe the movies). Although, your children may be younger (and I am not a mom). 

My kids are 4 and 6....a little young for Futurama, in my book.  My son (the 4 year old) has started drawing pictures of Bender....

Now, I do have to come clean about one thing.  When that stupid Elf on the Shelf didn't do its job to minimize the pre-Christmas whining, I did look up stills from Grimm's Krampus episode and showed them to my daughter.

It worked like a charm....

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 3

It only SEEMS like 6 years.

Well, I went back to the article and there is a new comment saying the article was wrong about Parenthood, so my guess is that it is wrong about Grimm as well.

Hope this works as I couldn't find a direct link:

<iframe width="512" height="376" src="http://video.pbs.org/viralplayer/2365477760"frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" seamless></iframe>

Here is the Oregon Art Beat episode on the "Art" of Grimm.  It's actually very interesting, but I felt bad for the woman who does all the drawings....they just burnt up all her work.

If the embed doesn't work, try this link....

http://www.opb.org/television/programs/artbeat/episodes/

I would say it's a typo. Although, it would be nice for Grimm to get a 6th season (and back when it was announced that Grimm was renewed, I also thought that the next season would be Season 6 and not Season 5). 

but I felt bad for the woman who does all the drawings....they just burnt up all her work.

Not necessarily, she says hopefully. The stuff that burned could have been copies ( my DH works for a FedEx Office and they have some nice parchment-y looking paper) and/or blanks ( the crumbled up wads Juliette threw around). 

I would normally be very happy for the renewal, but right now? Not so much. I am hoping to feel better soon.

I think the real test will be how episodes s5e3-4 fare.  At that point, the urgency of this season's cliffhanger will have passed and the people who are just watching o see how that develops will decide to leave or stay by that point.

I think the real test will be how episodes s5e3-4 fare. At that point, the urgency of this season's cliffhanger will have passed and the people who are just watching o see how that develops will decide to leave or stay by that point.

I really can't believe we have wasted 12 episodes on this crappy HexenJuliette arc. It is a wonder that the ratings haven't fallen even more.

It has become worst than the amnesia storyline from season 2 with Juliette. I was just annoyed with her back then, instead of actively hating her like I have this year.

• Love 3

I really can't believe we have wasted 12 episodes on this crappy HexenJuliette arc. It is a wonder that the ratings haven't fallen even more.

It has become worst than the amnesia storyline from season 2 with Juliette. I was just annoyed with her back then, instead of actively hating her like I have this year.

Exactly, they managed to make an arc worse than that complete waste of time/misfire by giving more focus on the weakest aspects of the series.

• Love 2

As I mentioned in the Spoiler topic... THIS is the problem...

GREENWALT | …It seemed like the right story move and it seemed more interesting to hear this fight off stage as Juliette is creeping downstairs. It seemed creepier for her to hear all of this than for us to try to stage a whole thing.
KOUF | It’s more emotional to see it on her face.

Kouf thinks you can see emotion on BT's face.  <SMH>

• Love 2

As I mentioned in the Spoiler topic... THIS is the problem...

Kouf thinks you can see emotion on BT's face.  <SMH>

If that was their intent, it got lost somewhere.  She just had a blank look on her face, especially when they tried to cut to flashbacks.  It just came off more sociopathic instead of emotional.

• Love 1

Aaaaaand Bitsie not only in the picture but named as a cast member.

I feel like we may need to stop deluding ourselves at some point. Ugh.

Aaaaaand Bitsie not only in the picture but named as a cast member.

I feel like we may need to stop deluding ourselves at some point. Ugh.

I've already dropped it, I'm just here for any confirmation.

• Love 1

Also, in the ComicCon panel,

in answer to a question, the producer said that Julliet would be back in flashbacks. But is indeed dead.

But of course that's what they'd say. See: Game of Thrones. You have to pick apart the truth from the BS with this stuff.

At least they're the TNT reruns of the earlier seasons to keep me happy. I can't any more, I don't think. Even if all the bad people and babies spontaneously died in a fire, the Grimmebago did too, and I'm not sure I can come back from that.

• Love 3

But of course that's what they'd say. See: Game of Thrones. You have to pick apart the truth from the BS with this stuff.

At least they're the TNT reruns of the earlier seasons to keep me happy. I can't any more, I don't think. Even if all the bad people and babies spontaneously died in a fire, the Grimmebago did too, and I'm not sure I can come back from that.

Replying in...I guess the wishlist thread....

It means that they must have had 5-year contracts and Universal wanted to ensure that they would stay with the show in the event it gets renewed next year.. Not unlike actor contracts. The show can still be cancelled if it performs poorly in the coming season.

• Love 2

It means that they must have had 5-year contracts and Universal wanted to ensure that they would stay with the show in the event it gets renewed next year.. Not unlike actor contracts. The show can still be cancelled if it performs poorly in the coming season.

Thanks!

I wasn't sure what the agreement meant.  By the way my untrained eye read it, it did sound like a 2 season renewal, but I doubted that because, let's face it, this isn't Grey's or Scandal or Big Bang or whatever shows there are that consistently draw big numbers.  I also wasn't sure if it was a way to get new shows from the team during that time.

• Love 1

You could file this under "This Doesn't Look Good" or "Proof that Season 4 sucked" (or, let's face it...both) but I came across this chart comparing how much ads cost for shows and comparing the increase or decrease. There are, of course, multiple factors that go into this, but most of the shows that have been running for at least couple of seasons don't have huge increases or decreases here. Grimm, however, has a 30% decrease. In other words, there is a 30% sale on ad space for this show over last season. Ouch!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/09/201516-tv-shows-advertisement-costs.html

There are so many indicators out there showing that this show made a horribly wrong turn last season..I really hope TPTB take note.

I'd say giving Juliette the heave ho is a stronger strategy than keeping her as a biestette but kind of better late than never as far as revenues.

I'm not clear if these prices are for the entire season or just the fall (no midseason shows are included), so we'll see.  

And I'm really not convinced they actually gave her the heave ho, especially after this weekend....

There are, of course, multiple factors that go into this, but most of the shows that have been running for at least couple of seasons don't have huge increases or decreases here. Grimm, however, has a 30% decrease. In other words, there is a 30% sale on ad space for this show over last season. Ouch! http://www.spoilertv...ment-costs.htmlThere are so many indicators out there showing that this show made a horribly wrong turn last season..I really hope TPTB take note.

Wow.  The reduced prince in ad space might be a reason why Grimm is being televised at 5AM Eastern.  When Grimm started its syndication on TNT, it was at a decent 11PM/12AM time slot.  I noticed that it was gradually pushed back into the early morning. 

Wow.  The reduced prince in ad space might be a reason why Grimm is being televised at 5AM Eastern.  When Grimm started its syndication on TNT, it was at a decent 11PM/12AM time slot.  I noticed that it was gradually pushed back into the early morning. 

The ad price has nothing to do with Syndication (TNT).  The Ad price is what NBC charges to air a 30 second commercial during the 2015-2016 season.  TNT's scheduling is probably based on their own findings.  I know Supernatural does really well in Syndication for TNT so they probably have metrics that determine when they air shows and how much they can charge for ads during each.

As for the 30% drop, the change is predominantly based on ratings (that's what Sweeps weeks are all about).  Looking at the chart, Blacklist, Grimm and Mysteries of Laura all dropped around 30%.  Mysteries of Laura is going into S2 so the drop makes sense (S1 is estimated based on buzz/anticipation and S2 is a reflection of actual ratings).  For Blacklist and Grimm, I believe both had ratings drops last season which explains the ad rates drop.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
The ad price has nothing to do with Syndication (TNT).  The Ad price is what NBC charges to air a 30 second commercial during the 2015-2016 season.  TNT's scheduling is probably based on their own findings.  I know Supernatural does really well in Syndication for TNT so they probably have metrics that determine when they air shows and how much they can charge for ads during each.

Thanks for the info about scheduling.  I guessed that Grimm might be aired in the middle of the night/early morning because of its ratings.  I wasn't sure if there was a connection between syndication ratings and the ad price. 

As for the 30% drop, the change is predominantly based on ratings (that's what Sweeps weeks are all about).  Looking at the chart, Blacklist, Grimm and Mysteries of Laura all dropped around 30%.  Mysteries of Laura is going into S2 so the drop makes sense (S1 is estimated based on buzz/anticipation and S2 is a reflection of actual ratings).  For Blacklist and Grimm, I believe both had ratings drops last season which explains the ad rates drop.

This makes sense.  How Grimm does during the season sets up the value of ad rates.  I think that TVByTheNumbers talks about ad prices and sweeps too.

Sleepy Hollow just came back last Monday for season 3 with a horrible 1.0 demo rating, losing half its audience from the season 2 premiere.

Sleepy Hollow did something incredibly similar to Grimm's Juliette last season with a female character name Katrina. Hollow focused a ton on her character at the cost of the other main casts' screentime, pushed her hard with male lead even though they had zero chemistry, had a rush job of a plot that turned her evil that the actress couldn't pull off at all, and killed her off in the season finale.

It's like the Grimm writers went to the same terrible classes as Sleepy Hollow and Once Upon a Time (also had a female character going evil, rape baby) writers last year.

Now I'm worried about what kind of terrible numbers Grimm comes back with this season.

• Love 1

^ And Sleepy Hollow had the single worst drop in ads cost to show for it (-51%, that's so terrible nothing even comes close). American Idol dropped -39%, and then there's already The Blacklist (-32) and Grimm (-30). So yeah, that -30% is one of the worst drops this season. I can't see them not taking notice of it.

Wow! 51% drop that's insane.

I bet back in the 60s that whatever the equivalent stats were for Star Trek season 3 were comparable. Heck, I bet the last season of Heroes wasn't too much better either. If the story is worth telling, a reboot will eventually resurface.

The Grimm of the pilot and possibly some of the early episodes was the show I signed up for: With Nick and his quirky Blutbad sidekick. I wish the show had gone off the air a couple of years ago and that this season premier was for a reboot like that pilot.

• Love 1