Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Just A River In Egypt

• Start Topic

Airing on April 8, 2020:

Dr. Charles evaluates a 15-year old who is brought into the E.D. after an apparent fall off an overpass. Will sides with Dr. Asher on a risky treatment plan. Tensions run high between Dr. Choi and Dr. Marcel.

Ethan was just ridiculous this entire episode.  He could have killed that woman because he can't be objective. Once again Crockett was the adult in the room. Ethan needs another deployment to get his head right.  Natalie seems to be really into Crockett and I'm here for it. 

April needs some time to herself in a different hospital.  She can take Ethan with her. That boy's dad was definitely in denial about his son's mental health. I knew Maggie and her husband would foster Auggie. 

Where do these useless Social Workers come from? Sharon's son seems shady.

• Love 6

Crisis central in rare form tonight.

Suicide, diaphragm, turkey sandwich, stage four brain cancer, abort pregnancy, DCFS asshole(s), and the introduction of  a new ChiMed pain in the ass in the making. And Ethan has the balls to say to Crockett, " if the kid kills himself, its on you." What a fuknidiot.

• Love 7

So sick of Dr Choi and his superiority complex,  and student Dr Curry and her nosiness. In a real hospital,  they'd both have been fired.  Their characters make the show unbearable to watch. 

• Love 2

Ethan was an ass big time, but at least he realized that he shouldn’t be directing his anger at Crockett (💕). I loved it when he dumped April. 😆

I don’t think Maggie’s son should be assigned to her hospital. Sounds like a big conflict of interest brewing. He’s like a pharma rep writ large, bribing docs with expensive gifts already.

• Love 7

Glad that Ethan and April are finally done.  Noble of him to go stay at a hotel even though it is his place.

Abdominal cerclage?  Uh no, that's only if you've failed a regular cervical cerclage.  Abdominal is so risky, as evidenced by the woman bleeding to death.  And why was Will scrubbed into surgery?  Oh, I forgot, his new girlfriend was doing the case.  I'm a little surprised that he's not a little more discreet at the hospital.  Jealous med student saw him with his hand on her back and then they walked out of the ER hand in hand at the end.

Goodwin's son is all sorts of shady.  Playing the stereotypical drug rep who's all into wining and dining the doctors with gifts and booze.  He is going to be very unlikable.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Glad that Ethan and April are finally done.  Noble of him to go stay at a hotel even though it is his place.

Abdominal cerclage?  Uh no, that's only if you've failed a regular cervical cerclage.  Abdominal is so risky, as evidenced by the woman bleeding to death.  And why was Will scrubbed into surgery?  Oh, I forgot, his new girlfriend was doing the case.  I'm a little surprised that he's not a little more discreet at the hospital.  Jealous med student saw him with his hand on her back and then they walked out of the ER hand in hand at the end.

Goodwin's son is all sorts of shady.  Playing the stereotypical drug rep who's all into wining and dining the doctors with gifts and booze.  He is going to be very unlikable.

I felt bad for Hannah. She was trying to honor her patient's wishes, while dealing with annoying Elsa. 

• Love 3

WTF, Choi. He's insufferable. I hope he dies too along with April. No, it would not be Crockett's fault. The kids parents were awful.

I also found Maggie and Natalie awful. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Court said:

WTF, Choi. He's insufferable. I hope he dies too along with April. No, it would not be Crockett's fault. The kids parents were awful.

I also found Maggie and Natalie awful. 

Awful = status quo for this show.

There are only two that I can think of that aren't insufferable; Dr. Latham and Dr. Neuro Guy (never remember his name).

• Love 3
5 hours ago, preeya said:

Awful = status quo for this show.

There are only two that I can think of that aren't insufferable; Dr. Latham and Dr. Neuro Guy (never remember his name).

Lanik. I agree. I wish we could have more Dr. Abrams.

Drs. Latham and Abrams need their own spin-off series. Ato Essandoh fans need to watch Amazon Prime’s “Tales From the Loop.” The episode he is featured in is fantastic. Dominic Rains has a supporting role in the series, but he does have a very memorable scene. 😏

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Abdominal cerclage?  Uh no, that's only if you've failed a regular cervical cerclage.

Oh thank christ I'm not the only one wondering when I missed them ruling that out. I'm neither a medical professional or a mother and I know about using cervical cerclage to keep the baby in and was wondering why they were all sitting around. Maybe she was in danger of abrupting, so they didn't want to seal her up yet? I wish they would have explained the delay.

• Love 2

This episode. Sigh. The positive is we didn't get a lot of Nataloon. I think she took the episode off and passed over to Maggie (Maggaloon 🙂). I can't believe DCFS would withhold a needed TIPS procedure simply because the kid is still considered a ward of the state. They're willing to let a kid go through so much pain to the point that it becomes emergent while they follow process? As for Maggie, it seems she has to go above and beyond to help. She donated her kidney. She befriended a fellow chemo patient and winds up marrying him. And of course, now let's foster a kid after the new family backs out because it's too much work. And for a school teacher, Ben seems to be spending more time at the hospital than at school. I know he cares about Auggie, but there are other kids, as well.

Ethan was a colossal ass. Crockett said the patient was not ready to be woken up safely yet, and Ethan still defies him. And a personal issue with doctor should never be dragged into patient care. That's just inexcusable. What if that patient coded and died because the sedation was removed too early? That would be a fireable offense and maybe worth losing his medical license, though I'm sure Sharon would probably only suspend him for a week. Obviously, nothing will be done after Ethan punched Crockett. This is just a few episodes after Sharon told him "I can't have doctors coming to blows in my ED." Well, Sharon, a punch was thrown this time. In any real hospital, there would be a suspension, at the least.

At least Will and Hannah tried their best to honor the patient's wishes, despite Ilsa's annoying objections. The woman knew the score and this was her last chance to have a baby. The odds of success were low to begin with. I will say maybe Will and Hannah would be better off hiding the relationship at the hospital for a bit. If Hannah becomes a main character next season, I do hope the writers actually make her and Will work, with no regressions back to Nataloon. It's not unheard of for people to fall in love with recovering addicts.

• Love 6

Is this a hospital or a kindergarten?

It's hard to pick between Ethan and Else for most unprofessional. Ethan completely lost not just his objectivity but also his common sense, projecting wildly on to the kid as if his younger brother had committed suicide because Ethan couldn't save him. And what driver looks up to the overpass to see what happens while driving? That would be very bad driving.

Ilsa should have been smacked down by Will and Hannah as soon as she disagreed with their recommendations in public. She's still a student and if she disagrees with her attending's recommendations, that should be handled in private, not in front of the patient.

At least Maggie had the best interests of the kid at heart

I appreciate that Hannah goes first to a toothbrush. But please, get Halstead a razor too.

Ato Essandoh was one of the best things about Copper where he played a 19th century doctor.

On 4/9/2020 at 12:07 AM, LittleIggy said:

I don’t think Maggie’s son should be assigned to her hospital. Sounds like a big conflict of interest brewing. He’s like a pharma rep writ large, bribing docs with expensive gifts already.

That's SOP for pharma reps. I've had many an argument with doctors who think that they deserve the gifts and trips, unlike other hospital staff who don't write scripts and therefore are not useful to drug companies.

Sharon needs to learn to stop talking to her son about the doctors at the hospital.

• Love 5

DCP in Chicago hands foster kids out like candy in these shows. 

Two full time workers, barely weeks out of having treatment for cancer just get to take home a foster kid.

Okay... sure, that makes sense. Paperwork and background checks and suitability be damned.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Guildford said:

Two full time workers, barely weeks out of having treatment for cancer just get to take home a foster kid.

Okay... sure, that makes sense. Paperwork and background checks and suitability be damned.

Well, technically, they haven't taken the kid yet. Sharon just said she'd let DCFS know. But considering how the writers sped up the process for Gabby to take Louie in Chicago Fire, we can probably expect the same thing here. It would be too much to ask of the writers to have Maggie and Ben properly screened by DCFS before being allowed to foster a kid.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Is this a hospital or a kindergarten?

It's hard to pick between Ethan and Else for most unprofessional. Ethan completely lost not just his objectivity but also his common sense, projecting wildly on to the kid as if his younger brother had committed suicide because Ethan couldn't save him. And what driver looks up to the overpass to see what happens while driving? That would be very bad driving.

Ilsa should have been smacked down by Will and Hannah as soon as she disagreed with their recommendations in public. She's still a student and if she disagrees with her attending's recommendations, that should be handled in private, not in front of the patient.

At least Maggie had the best interests of the kid at heart

I appreciate that Hannah goes first to a toothbrush. But please, get Halstead a razor too.

Ato Essandoh was one of the best things about Copper where he played a 19th century doctor.

That's SOP for pharma reps. I've had many an argument with doctors who think that they deserve the gifts and trips, unlike other hospital staff who don't write scripts and therefore are not useful to drug companies.

Sharon needs to learn to stop talking to her son about the doctors at the hospital.

I know that hence my comparison. I used to work as an attorney in a state mental hospital. The docs used to get catered meals all the time from the pharma reps. 🙄

• Love 2

I don't know how Brian Tee doesn't get furious every time he reads a new script.  He probably breathed a sigh of relief at the end of this one, though.  "Finally, these assholes break up!"

I highly doubt that Colin Donnell watches the show or keeps up with it anymore, but hopefully any sadness he had about being written out earlier this year is gone, after some time away and the continued tomfoolery he left behind.

Everyone at this hospital needs to be sent to a series of remedial classes for anger management, conflict management, emotional intelligence, respecting patient wishes, conflict of interest, and minding your own damn business.  And when I say series of classes, I mean a minimum of 4 years because that's how much help they require.

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

I feel like 2-3 time per year I have to come on here and say that I hate all of these people.

I hate all of these people.

This takes hate watching to an art form.  😉

• Love 2
On 4/11/2020 at 5:04 AM, Guildford said:

Not to mention, it's generally the rule to either foster or adopt that a married couple must have been together a significant length of time (two years, I believe). The reason, of course, is that taking on a child, who in many cases comes with a lot of emotional baggage, is a HUGE life adjustment, and so they want to make sure that the parents are solid in their own relationship first. There is literally no way on earth that social services would give Augie to two newlyweds who just went into remission. 

On 4/9/2020 at 11:02 AM, icemiser69 said:

No one knows if the kid was suicidal or not.   Charles and Choi can jump to all of the conclusions they want, but they know nothing.  They weren't there when it all went down, and the person driving the car was in no condition to answer questions.

Well, I don't know what Chicago overpasses are like, but I'm guessing they are similar pretty much everywhere, in that it's literally impossible to "fall off" or have someone "push" you off. They have metal fencing/guardrails at least six feet up. You'd have to climb it intentionally.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1